• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is wrong with Vilonia Basketball?

Started by jacketracket, January 11, 2018, 08:19:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jacketracket

Is it true they haven't won a conference game this year?  Is it the players, is it the coach?  I thought they would be better than this!!

croboostbusted

The girls are rolling!

The 5A is a really really tough classification. Probably top to bottom the best in the state

WampusCat30

Quote from: jacketracket on January 11, 2018, 08:19:18 am
Is it true they haven't won a conference game this year?  Is it the players, is it the coach?  I thought they would be better than this!!

the boys beat Greenbrier I know for sure, but I am not sure if they have beaten anyone else

Rayburn

Idk if you are, but don't go by maxpreps. It's a mess. It says Vilonia is 0-5 in conference. Actually it's 1-2, and they're 7-9 overall. Not great, but not horrible. And nearly every loss was close. Idk if they're a state title contender, but they're not to be automatically counted out against anybody.

4real

Quote from: Rayburn on January 11, 2018, 03:30:52 pm
Idk if you are, but don't go by maxpreps. It's a mess. It says Vilonia is 0-5 in conference. Actually it's 1-2, and they're 7-9 overall. Not great, but not horrible. And nearly every loss was close. Idk if they're a state title contender, but they're not to be automatically counted out against anybody.
isnt that another way of saying they are Middle of the pack, or mediocre?

slemmer1987

4real

Quote from: slemmer1987 on January 12, 2018, 02:47:52 am
You can't say Mediocre without Vilonia!
that is funny... not true about the girls tho

sevenof400

January 13, 2018, 11:32:08 am #7 Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:39:18 am by sevenof400
It seems like this thread is reborn every couple of years.....

As I have said previously, there are issues facing Vilonia with respect to the classification they play in.  There is no way Vilonia should be playing in the 5A classification and the upcoming changes in classification are only going to make things worse.  Vilonia is a bedroom community - not that this is a bad thing, but the lack of businesses (and support from the business community as compared to other 5A schools) puts Vilonia at a serious disadvantage. 

Of course, the reality is that fixing this issue would mean a serious overhaul of the AAA OR the town of Vilonia becoming attractive to businesses.  Neither of these solutions show any indication of occurring at present. 

4real

I can appreciate your thousand knowledge of your town...

However, there are a ton of bedroom communities that at times are the smallest in their classification and do well... Greenwood is one, except I guess their boys BB is in the same boat, but all else does well in 6A.  Charleston in 3A.

sevenof400

Quote from: 4real on January 13, 2018, 02:08:31 pm
I can appreciate your thousand knowledge of your town...

However, there are a ton of bedroom communities that at times are the smallest in their classification and do well... Greenwood is one, except I guess their boys BB is in the same boat, but all else does well in 6A.  Charleston in 3A.

Greenwood does not compare at all to Vilonia for many reasons but at the most fundamental is the fact that Greenwood has numerous businesses within its borders.  Vilonia simply does not have this business presence for support.  While the business presence is not the entire explanation of how Greenwood came to prominence (by far), having the money, support and jobs many businesses bring to a community is a significant factor in keeping kids in town after school and over the summer.  Businesses contribute money to (toward) school programs (not only athletic but academic endeavors as well).  Jobs that keep kids in town can also help keep those kids available for practices and workouts.  It is a lot easier to build a team when the potential player pool stays close by in the off season(s). 

Over the years, Greenwood was the beneficiary of several move ins while Vilonia has had very few.  This is NOT to question the legitimacy of those move ins, rather to show that due to all of the factors that people consider when they move, Vilonia does NOT get the kind of move in support other schools do.  That is NOT the fault of any other school, more on Vilonia itself for not making the town more attractive (both from the commercial and quality of life standpoints).   

Student count (population) is an inadequate (or inaccurate) method to use when forming school classifications because it does not factor in other measures a school needs to be competitive.  There should be a better methodology to classify schools.

InYoGrill

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 13, 2018, 04:27:18 pm
Greenwood does not compare at all to Vilonia for many reasons but at the most fundamental is the fact that Greenwood has numerous businesses within its borders.  Vilonia simply does not have this business presence for support.  While the business presence is not the entire explanation of how Greenwood came to prominence (by far), having the money, support and jobs many businesses bring to a community is a significant factor in keeping kids in town after school and over the summer.  Businesses contribute money to (toward) school programs (not only athletic but academic endeavors as well).  Jobs that keep kids in town can also help keep those kids available for practices and workouts.  It is a lot easier to build a team when the potential player pool stays close by in the off season(s). 

All true 7! Vilonia should be in a 4A conference level at best. I live 11 miles east of the high school which is the farthest west of the school district. Literally my house is the border between Conway and V school districts. V has WEAK overall resources to be competitive in the bigger sports like boys football and bball. I have been involved with the V Chamber in the past and know many of the towns business owners, all say the same. The town is just a small bedrock community for LRAFB, Conway, Cabot, and BB. A residential housing and small farm type town. Just enough business to sustain the presence of a town somewhere on hwy 64 east/west heading to the other fore-mentioned towns. City Hall just seems stuck without a growth strategy to welcome new people and business opportunity. I guess it is what it is and has been and will be.

Over the years, Greenwood was the beneficiary of several move ins while Vilonia has had very few.  This is NOT to question the legitimacy of those move ins, rather to show that due to all of the factors that people consider when they move, Vilonia does NOT get the kind of move in support other schools do.  That is NOT the fault of any other school, more on Vilonia itself for not making the town more attractive (both from the commercial and quality of life standpoints).   

Student count (population) is an inadequate (or inaccurate) method to use when forming school classifications because it does not factor in other measures a school needs to be competitive.  There should be a better methodology to classify schools.

PercussionMan

Vilonia always seems to have some talented underclassmen.  After they played at Morrilton, I was told that Vilonia had some younger players that were playing well for the team (one was a sophomore who had scored 20+ points in a previous game) who were benched because of seniors' parents complaining that their kids (who had apparently done their time on the bench) were getting less playing time than the younger ones.  The person who gave me the information is the uncle of the player who had been "benched for being a sophomore".  I assume he wouldn't lie.  Sadly enough, things like this happen often at this level, and the coach will listen to the complaining parents rather than doing what is best for his team.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas