• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas/LSU Game Thread 1:30 start

Started by Quite Frankly, November 23, 2007, 12:33:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootens_and_APS_are_BETTE

Nutt will continue to coach the Arkansas Razorbacks for the 2008 season, I have no doubt whatsoever.

powerlifter90

My problem with the BC led offense is allot of times I feel they throw the ball in-spite of themselves.  Today for example they ran the ball very well, got up by 11 and just kept throwing.  I know Ganz has looked great since he's came in, but in hostile environment, in 20 degree temps why come out in the 2nd half throwing when you could run and get him back into the flow of the game.  I think Ganz will statistically be one of the best QB's in the nation next year, but the run is where you win or lose games. 

silverstreak

i agree......a nice compromise would be to bring in a coach that runs a spread option similar to what florida runs.  honestly, a lot of the schemes are similar to what t.o. ran but just out of the shotgun and i think it would make the transition much easier considering the players they have on their roster now.  one thing that i've noticed is that the players don't seem as strong as they used to.  just kind of soft.  i know kennedy worked under epley but these players (especially the lines) don't seem as explosive or powerful as they did when osborne was there.

B&GT

Quote from: B-TRAIN on November 23, 2007, 06:30:12 pm
All the nutt haters are idiots.... he recruited the heisman winner, beat the number 1 team in the nation, and recruited matt jones.... all of the nutt haters are idiot stupid poor excuses for humans

Thanks Houston III.

powerlifter90

Quote from: silverstreak on November 23, 2007, 09:38:38 pm
i agree......a nice compromise would be to bring in a coach that runs a spread option similar to what florida runs.  honestly, a lot of the schemes are similar to what t.o. ran but just out of the shotgun and i think it would make the transition much easier considering the players they have on their roster now.  one thing that i've noticed is that the players don't seem as strong as they used to.  just kind of soft.  i know kennedy worked under epley but these players (especially the lines) don't seem as explosive or powerful as they did when osborne was there.

I don't know how much you have followed NU football but after getting their butts handed to them in BIG games in the late 80's/early 90's TO and staff sat down and completely revamped the program.  Two of the biggest changes were to the strength and conditioning program and the defense going from a "read and react" 5-2, to a seek and destroy 4-3.  Results were quite evident from 93 on.........

I honestly think that if Ark would have played like they did tonight they are undefeated RIGHT now.  I don't now what has happened vs Bama, UK, UT and Aub but to me it looks like a different team than the one that played SC and LSU.

ganglion

Quote from: imafan on November 23, 2007, 09:06:10 pm
HSFBF:
    AGREE 100%.. and tell Nutt to stay away from cellphones and email accounts registered to Baylor University. Saving $49.95 a month is not worth it... get your own account and cellphone! FOI doesn't apply....
     The LSU victory was a PLAYER win... the play calling was NOT anything special. The series before the half was so conservative. AR had some luck on its side today, especially with the last LSU TD in regulation being called back due to ineligible receiver down field and another favorable penalty later on. Main thing is AR played better and with more passion than most thought we would. Give the trophy to the players.. The crud they have gone through makes them DESERVE the Cotton Bowl as a reward for what they have had to put up with..
Go Hogs..,.back to top 25 and to a big bowl.

Posts like this frickin' kill me.  No one wants HDN gone any more than me.  I just find it humorous that Nutt hatred causes folks around here to refuse to give him or the other coaches any credit for a win, but all the blame for a loss.

Win your bowl game Houston, take your settlement money, learn from your mistakes and go to another program.  Good luck when you get there.

Go Razorbacks!

silverstreak

Quote from: BUGEATERS on November 23, 2007, 09:55:43 pm
Quote from: silverstreak on November 23, 2007, 09:38:38 pm

I don't know how much you have followed NU football but after getting their butts handed to them in BIG games in the late 80's/early 90's TO and staff sat down and completely revamped the program.  Two of the biggest changes were to the strength and conditioning program and the defense going from a "read and react" 5-2, to a seek and destroy 4-3.  Results were quite evident from 93 on.........

I honestly think that if Ark would have played like they did tonight they are undefeated RIGHT now.  I don't now what has happened vs Bama, UK, UT and Aub but to me it looks like a different team than the one that played SC and LSU.
i guess i don't know about how they revamped the s&c program.  i thought it came about because they got mad at epley for sharing his methods.

powerlifter90

EVERY program in D1 can give credit to Boyd Epley for the s $ c program and facilities they have today.  He is basically the father to the modern day program almost every college uses.
I remember Clemson's coaches coming into Lincoln, getting tips and strategies on what to do and not to do in the WR, then kicking our butt for the NC three years later. 

silverstreak

so you still didn't tell me how they revamped the s&c program.....you piqued my curiosity.

PHIL IS MY HERO aka RTVM

good game piggies!  I have a hatred for LSWho ever since the SEC championship in 2001 when UT played LSU.  That game cost Ut a trip to the Rose Bowl for the NC.  I sat next to a real koonass that I can still hear from time to time yell Rohaun Davie, How bout them roses now!

Anyway, great game.  Now I just hope the vols take care of business tomorrow against UK, so we can play LSU in the SECCG and beat them too!

powerlifter90

Quote from: silverstreak on November 23, 2007, 10:27:30 pm
so you still didn't tell me how they revamped the s&c program.....you piqued my curiosity.

when I was in school there (early 80's) they had about 40 leg press machines and two squat racks, when then revamped they went back to the squat along with a few other "posterior" chain exercises.  They also got away from the mile runs to get into condition and went to more 10, 20 and 30 yard sprints over and over and over, kinda like running lines in basketball.  They went to more 1st team O vs 1st team D in practice (from what  hear there were tons of "altercations" in practice).
They got away from the multi-rep weight lifting routines and got to the less rep, more explosion type of training.  I can't think off the top of my head everything they did, but they got to the "work smarter not harder" concept.  I think you can go to www.huskerpower.com and find allot of what they do now, but it looks kinda worthless considering the team looks fat, slow and out of shape.  ,

silverstreak

yeah i think what i learned about husker s&c was after they revamped because they used a lot of squat, power clean, hammer strength machines (i believe), etc and used optimal rep ranges and intensity levels close to that which was used by russian and eastern european olympic lifter to increase explosiveness and power.  btw, i was looking at huskerboard and paul johnson definately looks like a good candidate.  i didn't know much about him but his record and what he's done is pretty amazing.

powerlifter90

Quote from: silverstreak on November 23, 2007, 10:52:54 pm
yeah i think what i learned about husker s&c was after they revamped because they used a lot of squat, power clean, hammer strength machines (i believe), etc and used optimal rep ranges and intensity levels close to that which was used by russian and eastern european olympic lifter to increase explosiveness and power.  btw, i was looking at huskerboard and paul johnson definately looks like a good candidate.  i didn't know much about him but his record and what he's done is pretty amazing.

I've heard Johnson, Pelini, or Gill, but wouldn't be surprised to see a "dark horse" come in (Bobby Petrino). 

If HDN leaves who takes over at UA?  Is is me or do others see a pattern:  Last year UA rolls along until the end of the season and "something" miraculously happens to the offense the last few games of the year.  This year the O looks very ......... um........ "predictable" same ole conservative bs that was there prior to 06.  Then when HDN's "Nutts" are in a jam the O wakes up and starts looking allot like last year, and DL even says he calls all the plays in the win over MSU.  Today the O looks great, allot of motion, calling different plays in the right situations and the right calls at the right time.  What I'm getting at is it seemed to me that GM called the plays most of last year until HDN knew his job was secure then he was blown off.  This year Lee was calling plays after the heat was on, and Nutts job was saved........ again. 

Blue

Quote from: BUGEATERS on November 23, 2007, 11:00:45 pm
Quote from: silverstreak on November 23, 2007, 10:52:54 pm

I've heard Johnson, Pelini, or Gill, but wouldn't be surprised to see a "dark horse" come in (Bobby Petrino). 

If HDN leaves who takes over at UA?  Is is me or do others see a pattern:  Last year UA rolls along until the end of the season and "something" miraculously happens to the offense the last few games of the year.  This year the O looks very ......... um........ "predictable" same ole conservative bs that was there prior to 06.  Then when HDN's "Nutts" are in a jam the O wakes up and starts looking allot like last year, and DL even says he calls all the plays in the win over MSU.  Today the O looks great, allot of motion, calling different plays in the right situations and the right calls at the right time.  What I'm getting at is it seemed to me that GM called the plays most of last year until HDN knew his job was secure then he was blown off.  This year Lee was calling plays after the heat was on, and Nutts job was saved........ again. 
It's just you. The offense didn't just break the season scoring record with just this game. It's been pretty good all year save for two games. This is the SEC, everyone you play is going to be pretty good.

Malzahn called plays last year, even when they lost. There's no debating that for anyone that wants to take facts, instead of what they want to believe, into consideration.
The offense was better this year than last, the numbers prove it. Things didn't suddenly get better this week. The Hogs, again except for Auburn and Tenn, consistently put up better numbers offensively this year than last.
The reason they are 8-4 is two-fold.
1/ There were two weeks in which, for some reason, the offense didn't work.
2. The defense was bad every week. You could say they were good against Auburn, but Auburn wasn't very good at all to be honest.

The people that claim they'd be undefeated with Gus or someone else calling plays, aren't (whether blinded by bias or coming by it honestly doesn't matter) paying attention. There's no evidence whatsoever to back up those claims.
The offense was as good this year as it's ever been at this college. The defense is what was lacking.
The passing game could have been better. Had it been better, the offense would have been even better than it was, but the missing pieces weren't Malzahn and Mustain. The missing pieces were SEC level receivers.

breadly

i hate to toot my own horn but you cant deny...i called this

OlGuyWicker

It's simple.  Monk was there today.  They missed him severly vs Auburn and Bama.  Last year he bailed both Casey and Mitch out on numerous occasions.  Also Hillis.  They missed up more than anyone including myself realized at the end of the year last year. 

bulldogs1159

So I guess with this win and a "What have you done for me now society" I am in the minority when it comes to still wanting Houston as far away from us as possible.

SandLizard04

Thank you, Arkansas. You guys and USC have put OU right back in the title picture. If West Virginia loses to either UConn or Pitt and the Sooners can win out, it will be OU v. Ohio State. Wooooo Pig!

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Ramblin' Man on November 24, 2007, 02:42:10 am
Thank you, Arkansas. You guys and USC have put OU right back in the title picture. If West Virginia loses to either UConn or Pitt and the Sooners can win out, it will be OU v. Ohio State. Wooooo Pig!
I really really wish I could have seen you cheering on the hogs today.

SandLizard04

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on November 24, 2007, 02:45:41 am
Kirk and I listened to the game driving down to Camden tonight and had to pull over a couple of times due to the excitement (didn't want to run off the road, you know). If you wanted to see me let out a WPS, today was your only chance. :)

bulldogs1159

Quote from: Ramblin' Man on November 24, 2007, 02:52:26 am
Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on November 24, 2007, 02:45:41 am
Kirk and I listened to the game driving down to Camden tonight and had to pull over a couple of times due to the excitement (didn't want to run off the road, you know). If you wanted to see me let out a WPS, today was your only chance. :)
Son of a bit*h. I have waited FOREVER to see that.

RD™

It was a great night for an Arkansas Razorback Fan / Greenwood Bulldog fan -- both eliminating #1s. I had a great BLACK FRIDAY!!

powerlifter90

GOOD NEWS:
Best Ark win in 20 years? Maybe 25?  The HOGs played like all their fans have thought they could all season.  They have the talent to do this week in, week out.

BAD NEWS: 
This game although awesome for UA costs the SEC a shot at the NC.  Look for the BIG 12 champion vs WV or OSU.

This saves HDN job

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 23, 2007, 07:01:10 pm
but Ivan said we were going to get blown out. He didn't give us any chance at all.

Hardly anyone else did, either.

Nice to see that Nutt leaned heavily on the Wildgus to win the game.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Blue on November 24, 2007, 12:08:28 amMalzahn called plays last year, even when they lost. There's no debating that for anyone that wants to take facts, instead of what they want to believe, into consideration.

The offense was taken away from Malzhan during the South Carolina week.

That is documented fact.  You should need your own advice.

Marionpats07™

Arkansas has figured it out. Don't recruit a QB, just get great strong running backs that are tall and teach them to throw. Genius, the future of football is here!

SandLizard04

Quote from: MarionPats07? on November 26, 2007, 12:12:14 am
Arkansas has figured it out. Don't recruit a QB, just get great strong running backs that are tall and teach them to throw. Genius, the future of football is here!
Too bad their tallest RB next year will be like 5'9", then.

silverstreak

Quote from: President Ivan on November 26, 2007, 12:09:45 am
Quote from: Blue on November 24, 2007, 12:08:28 amMalzahn called plays last year, even when they lost. There's no debating that for anyone that wants to take facts, instead of what they want to believe, into consideration.

link???  where is this documented and please don't quote wally.

Throwback1

WVU vs. Missouri or OSU...oh, boy!
Teams 7-10 are better than teams 1-4.  The BCS is just great.

Blue

November 26, 2007, 10:00:59 am #529 Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:04:42 am by Blue
Quote from: President Ivan on November 26, 2007, 12:09:45 am

Here's a couple more documented facts. 70-year old men recognized your "wildgus" as the old single wing they ran in high school. About the only difference is now they've got split ends instead of tight ends,
And it's basically the same thing Arkansas was using with Matt Jones taking the snaps, well before gus got there. It works better now because there are two people on the team that run better than M. Jones did (McFadden and F. Jones.) and two that catch it better than anyone M. Jones had to throw to. (Monk and Hillis)

powerlifter90

HOG fans........... shut your eyes, relax, breath deep and remember the Razorback offense before GM or DL, remember what it looked like when HDN called his own plays.

Now think about the last couple seasons when it has showed flashes of being imaginative, the play calls being made and the times they are made, using different formations and motion to keep the D on its heals.  Now thing did HDN all of a sudden "learn" how to call plays, or did he bring someone else in that knew what they were doing in that aspect of the game?  IF......... IF......... Nutt could just put the ego in check for 4 hours every Saturday and let the OC do his job Razorback football would be tons better. 

rsvl_hogfan4

November 26, 2007, 12:30:16 pm #531 Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:32:08 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
Quote from: BUGEATERS on November 26, 2007, 12:00:30 pm
HOG fans........... shut your eyes, relax, breath deep and remember the Razorback offense before GM or DL, remember what it looked like when HDN called his own plays.

Now think about the last couple seasons when it has showed flashes of being imaginative, the play calls being made and the times they are made, using different formations and motion to keep the D on its heals.  Now thing did HDN all of a sudden "learn" how to call plays, or did he bring someone else in that knew what they were doing in that aspect of the game?  IF......... IF......... Nutt could just put the ego in check for 4 hours every Saturday and let the OC do his job Razorback football would be tons better. 
Actually, back when everyone had this argument before Malzahn came I showed the stats of Nutt's offense. Nutt actually averaged something like 25 or 26 ppg in SEC play up until he got Malzahn. Keep in mind, that isn't counting the blowout wins we had over some of our OOC opponents. Our defense was horrible before we got Herring for the most part. Our defense allowed a lot of points that weren't contributed to our offense. Our offense could move the ball, but our defense couldn't stop anyone. This year, our offense had a few amazing games, but for the most part our offense has scored once or twice, and our defense or ST has score once or twice in a game, but our offense gets all the credit for it.

I believe it was SMC, an Alabama fan at the time, said Arkansas was one of the offenses he hated Alabama playing despite being predictable because they were so physical and pounded the ball. It didn't matter if you knew it was coming because for the most part, it was hard to stop. Houston's play calling was predictable and bad at times, but as far as scoring it wasn't that bad. We just didn't win game because our defense couldn't stop hardly anyone.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas