• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Capital One Bowl Thread

Started by RD™, January 01, 2007, 11:17:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LR Football

Quote from: S.D. Jones on January 03, 2007, 02:08:13 pm
The SEC has produced some pretty good QBs.  Joe namath, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ken Stabler, at Arkansas you have Joe Ferguson.  So right now what I want him or Casey to do is complete a few more passes than 50 percent with an interception rate that is little higher than 1 per 10 throws.
Fair. And I am sure that everything in their power is working towards a 70, 73, 75% completion rate.

gameoflife

Quote from: LR Football on January 03, 2007, 02:03:31 pm
Quote from: endrun on January 03, 2007, 01:49:38 pm
Quote from: Vice President RD on January 01, 2007, 02:17:27 pm
Earn your keep son, now is the time Mitchell.

Didn't do it!  Not a good college QB at this point, throws high wide, short, cannot read a defense.  Like the man on the TV said, this isn't 3deep zone anymore.
Good Post. I agree with your comment. Thank You for adding "at this point". BUT. Do you agree with mine that MM could develop into one of the best QB's that the UA or SEC has ever produced?

I agree that MM could develop into one of the best, but so could every other QB out there.  Potential, means he ain't worth a s__t right now.  I do not think he is going to make it.  I see way too many deficiencies in his game.  Lack of playing good competition and having no challenges means he has not grown much in high school. He can throw to open receivers just like dummy practice, but when the heat is on and they give different looks and have successful pressure, he is not very good at all.  He also lacks escapability at this level.  He has a bunch to work on.

gameoflife

Quote from: Jack-town 10 on January 01, 2007, 02:51:41 pm
If we only had Hillis...geeez what wonders he would work!

I hope this was sarcasm!

LR Football

Quote from: endrun on January 03, 2007, 07:29:49 pm
Quote from: LR Football on January 03, 2007, 02:03:31 pm
Quote from: endrun on January 03, 2007, 01:49:38 pm
Quote from: Vice President RD on January 01, 2007, 02:17:27 pm
Earn your keep son, now is the time Mitchell.

Didn't do it!  Not a good college QB at this point, throws high wide, short, cannot read a defense.  Like the man on the TV said, this isn't 3deep zone anymore.
Good Post. I agree with your comment. Thank You for adding "at this point". BUT. Do you agree with mine that MM could develop into one of the best QB's that the UA or SEC has ever produced?

I agree that MM could develop into one of the best, but so could every other QB out there.  Potential, means he ain't worth a s__t right now.  I do not think he is going to make it.  I see way too many deficiencies in his game.  Lack of playing good competition and having no challenges means he has not grown much in high school. He can throw to open receivers just like dummy practice, but when the heat is on and they give different looks and have successful pressure, he is not very good at all.  He also lacks escapability at this level.  He has a bunch to work on.
I disagree. Every other QB can not develop into being "one of the best". He was a National AA coming out of High School. True one comes out every year. But only one! And he is the most highly recruited in all of Arkansas' history. That is pretty big. He grew very much in high school. He does have areas to work on.

RUFCO

Quote from: S.D. Jones on January 03, 2007, 02:08:13 pm
The SEC has produced some pretty good QBs.  Joe namath, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ken Stabler, at Arkansas you have Joe Ferguson.  So right now what I want him or Casey to do is complete a few more passes than 50 percent with an interception rate that is little higher than 1 per 10 throws.

gameoflife

I would disagree, anyone out there has the chance to develop into one of the best.  The fact that he came out highly ranked now means little.  Lots of players come out ranked that do not make it, and many not highly touted players turn into some of the best ever, Jerry Rice, Kurt Warner for starters.  To say that he will make it based on high school is just not true.  He played in a great system surrounded by great talent, that made his performance better than it might have been otherwise.  Yes, he may make it but no guarantees.

Barbados

What so you think Dick is better maybe. In the bowl game if you really watch the one interception Mitch threw he took a big hit at the point of release and it was still on target the d-back just made a great break on the ball to intercept it. Mustain is way more elusive than Dick. I say that probally this next season we see him come out and throw less than 3 interceptions play every game and do very well. I said all along and so did he out of high school that he needed a red shirt. Now he has tasted the game and wants more and is confident he is the best man for the job and hey he is undefeated as a starter and Dick is uh well I cant say on here. I think if Mustain is the starter and McFadden stays healthy we go on and win the SEC next season.

RUFCO

Quote from: endrun on January 04, 2007, 03:24:19 pm
I would disagree, anyone out there has the chance to develop into one of the best.  The fact that he came out highly ranked now means little.  Lots of players come out ranked that do not make it, and many not highly touted players turn into some of the best ever, Jerry Rice, Kurt Warner for starters.  To say that he will make it based on high school is just not true.  He played in a great system surrounded by great talent, that made his performance better than it might have been otherwise.  Yes, he may make it but no guarantees.
Wilson Matthews used to tell all the incoming freshman at UofA to take all them press clippings and wipe their rear with them. Its like you are saying. The only guarantee he has is an opportunity.

gameoflife

Quote from: Barbados on January 04, 2007, 03:53:14 pm
What so you think Dick is better maybe. In the bowl game if you really watch the one interception Mitch threw he took a big hit at the point of release and it was still on target the d-back just made a great break on the ball to intercept it. Mustain is way more elusive than Dick. I say that probally this next season we see him come out and throw less than 3 interceptions play every game and do very well. I said all along and so did he out of high school that he needed a red shirt. Now he has tasted the game and wants more and is confident he is the best man for the job and hey he is undefeated as a starter and Dick is uh well I cant say on here. I think if Mustain is the starter and McFadden stays healthy we go on and win the SEC next season.

You are so wrong, probably because you want it to be so.  Mitch didn't take a hit prior to throwing the pass, he got happy feet.  The pass was underthrown, a MM special.  He only completed 5 of 10 and nothing downfield.  That is MM.  He is still trying to play high school ball but he isn't seeing zone coverage and poor DL play.  Right now he is not a very good college QB.  Dick is not great by any means, but he is better.  If the QB coaches at UA cannot teach a Qb to read coverage then they need to change coaches, if the qB cannot learn to read then they can sit the bench.

LR Football

Quote from: endrun on January 04, 2007, 03:24:19 pm
The two parts of development are physical and mental. Correct? When you say "everyone" can develop more that is not true. Some have max their physical and mental cabability. I believe that both Dick{Soph} and MM {TF} can develop better in both areas. I am not saying that anyone will make it b/c of high school stats/clippings. I understand that those are worthless today. BTW. MM was a big part of that "great system".

mudslog

Peyton Manning would like like a fool playing for Arkansas.  When you only have two receivers in the pattern and one of them runs a 1/2 yard route based on 5.8 40 speed, you do not have much choice.   No quarterback would look good under Nutt's system.  None....

Barbados

By the way 5 of 10 is better then 9 of 20 that dick had and he had an interception as well.

6aaafan

Quote from: Barbados on January 05, 2007, 09:31:50 am
By the way 5 of 10 is better then 9 of 20 that dick had and he had an interception as well.

For all you know if Mitch would have gotton another 10 passes he could have been 5-20. You can't judge just on stats.

footballfan-tastic

Really, what about Clint Stoerner?  The best overall QB in a while at UA.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: mudslog on January 05, 2007, 03:12:51 am
Peyton Manning would like like a fool playing for Arkansas.  When you only have two receivers in the pattern and one of them runs a 1/2 yard route based on 5.8 40 speed, you do not have much choice.   No quarterback would look good under Nutt's system.  None....

What about Clint Stoerner?

Barbados

RUFCO

Quote from: Barbados on January 05, 2007, 12:33:43 pm
Yeah what did he do in the pro's
Calcagni & Scanlon did do anything in the pro's but they were great QB's for the hogs.

nfblaze

The problem isnt the QB, but some may say a dual threat QB(which we are recruiting now- Chaisson) would fit our system better. Our offense isn't a drop back QB offense as Casey and Mitch played in. The fact remains that HDN hasn't developed a QB since he has been here..Casey nor Mitch will succeed in the offense we run because we don't stress enough time on the passing game. We've seen in it pregame warmups all season..When Houston realizes that a QB IS needed in the SEC, then we will see some improvement and possibly a National Championship.

Barbados

And who is the all time pass leader for us MATT JONES. That is because he could run and with AR that is what you have to do. I say Mitch might get better and see significant pl,ay time and great stats but Dick is done he is at the best he is capable of. proof is no improvement from last year.

RHS

In the end it came down to the two things that had haunted us the previous 2 games. Special teams mishaps and inadequate QB play.

Barbados

I still think that if we wouldthrow a 5 to 10 yard post and slants then we would do better. also we need to run some play actions and things to take the pressure off.

gameoflife

We do run some play action, our receivers cannot get off the line of scrimmage fast enough to make short routes work.  As for MM, he had an INT as well as Dick.   You guys must get paid for lovin NWA.  MM is a very, very average, no wait, not even average QB in DI, at this point. 
How can you predict MM will get better but that Dick is done?  How dumb.

Barbados

I cant stand NWA football but tell me how has Dick improved??? Mustain improved some over the season patience is one way. I still say dick is done.

gameoflife

I Mustain improved it would be hard to track it.  Dick played against the 3 best teams we saw, Mitch didn't look good against Wisconsin at all, looked very ill at ease.  Not that Dick was great either, but when your expectations and reputation are as large as MM coming in, shouldn't we expect much more out of the gatoraid player, and #1 recruit?

WBF †

Even though we're not a passing O, with a GOOD or even DECENT passing game our RUN would thrive even more. You can have a slow QB or even one who sits in the pocket and still kill with our O. Enough coverage on the passes will open the run game...everyone knows that. But yes, a mobile QB with a decent arm *cough*matt jones* would do even better with the O that ARK has.

I dont really see how having a QB that can only run would help us...

gameoflife

We need a true, honest to god, passing QB.  ONe that can read a defense and make all types of throws adn good decisions with the ball.  I'd do it myself but I'm out of eligibility.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas