• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The UA debacle. All Nutt/Mitch/Damian talk here

Started by memphisguy, December 11, 2006, 10:48:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

If You Could Fire Coach Nutt Today, What Would Your Reason Be?

Winning 10 games for the 1st time since Ken Hatfield was the coach in the late 1980s
4 (22.2%)
For going to a New year's Day bowl
6 (33.3%)
For winning the SEC West
0 (0%)
For coaching a Heisman Trophy Ruuner-Up
1 (5.6%)
For beating Auburn at Auburn
2 (11.1%)
For beat the Vols at Fayetteville
2 (11.1%)
For Winning 10 Straight
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

RHS

Quote from: Ramblin' Man on December 13, 2006, 06:56:45 pm
There was a QB on the Fayetteville campus about 25-30 years ago. He was a highly recruited in-state kid who had all kinds of accolades. However, he was not being utilized to the best of his ability, in his mind, and chose to transfer to somewhere that had an offense where he would better be able to play the way that he wanted to.

I'll give you one guess as to who it was.

While true Tobin, there was also a head coaching change and a change in the style of offensive play.

not ray

Everyone is just ready to now drink the Malzahn flavored kool-aid.  A guy who won 2 state titles at the smallest classification and then lost one when he supposedly had his best team to Rison.  He then goes to Springdale where he does very well.  When all these Springdale kids were juniors they ran through everyone they met like a hot knife through butter.  The first time they met anyone even near equal they got beat.  They then played a great senior season against some of the worst teams the 5A has had in years.  Hey they would have won in most any year, but it would not have been as easy.  Nevertheless, they move on to Arkansas and somehow thousands of people think the magic wand is going to be waved and Arkansas is going to go through college opponents based on this high school coaches philosphy of how things should be done.  One of the most important things he left out of his philosophy is having much better players is what it takes to succeed.  Look at USC did they win as soon as Carroll got there or did it take some time for them to get things rolling with a slew of great players?  Fact is this was a failed thing from the start and Lyndsey, IMO is the main person to blame.  All this was forced on Houston and I do not doubt him for taking a stand when he did.  He was basically told he would be out on his butt if he did not do these things.  He did it and now he is being blamed for not further pimping these kids.  It is sickening to me the way that the legacy and future of the program hinge on whether or not he told these kids the truth.   For all those that have never lied to get your way raise your hand.

RHS

Quote from: President Ivan on December 13, 2006, 03:50:22 pm
Quote from: RHS on December 12, 2006, 03:12:33 pmHe wasn't making the throws, made bad reads, and was starting to throw a lot more picks.

That's different from Casey Dick....how?

That's not different from Dick at all, but Dick had more experience in pressure games. We would have lost the SC game had MM stayed in at QB.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: HA_Fan™ on December 15, 2006, 10:56:58 am
Quote from: mack on December 15, 2006, 10:48:48 am
You'll have to do better.

Actually, no I won't.  The stuff I bolded could not be more true.  

If all he has to do is go to a bowl game 2 out of 3 years and lose 2 out of 3 of those, he will be the head coach at Arkansas until he decides to retire.  This is one good year.  He will probably win 9 or 10 more next year because of the AA schedule.  The following year, expect another .500ish season.  People will want him to go, and you will be here posting about how he won 20 games over the last two seasons.
I'm telling ya, the main stream media guys and the coaches like him. You  can find some who don't. That is true of every coach, but by in large they like him. Your dislike of him clouds your thinking.

RHS

If Butu saids then, then thank the Lord for him.

HA_Fan

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 15, 2006, 02:42:02 pm
Your dislike of him clouds your thinking.

I really don't dislike him.  I think he's an average to slightly above average coach.  I think it's undeniable that at least half the head coaches in the SEC could coach circles around him.  I do think his ego shows a little too much on game day.

He strikes me as a coach at a Boise State or Tulsa or Cincinnati, not a school from a major conference that wants to be ranked nationally.

RHS

QuoteThe whole 60 balls a year thing is ludicrous.

If DW or BC came in thinking they were going to get 60 balls, they were nuts. What in the pas 30 years would suggest that they would even come close as a true freshman? Damian could have had some better stats had he not dropped some crucial passes that would have gotten some momentum on the Hogs sides. Don't even get me started on Cleveland and his drops.

RHS

If he wants 60 balls in a year, pick one of the following: Hawaii or Texas Tech. Those will be the only 2 where he would come close. His speed will hold him back from being the #1 guy on a team.

RHS

Quote from: President Ivan on December 15, 2006, 09:40:52 am
Furthermore, I have grown tired of having to defend the truth and three kids from mindless idiots with mouths full of slander and nothing more.

If you want to moron, pee, and moan, do it through PM's.  This thread is over.

So it is ok to bash on Brett Smith and his family and slander him for his mistake at Tennessee but not for a player at the UA?

RHS

Here is how one paper looks at it from outside the state. A snippet from a Jacksonville paper:

QuoteThere's an entire generation that decries the current crop of 20-somethingsand teenagers for being the "Me generation," but it's clear that "Megeneration" learned its selfish ways not from television and hip-hop, butfrom a child's biggest influences: parents.This week, the parents of three Arkansas freshmen football players met withathletic director Frank Broyles to complain that their precious kids didn'thave enough touches this season, and they were concerned about the team's direction. That direction is Orlando for the Capital One Bowl. And these parents have the nerve to complain because their kids are accustomed to having a bigger role? Your kids are freshmen, there's a guy named Darren McFadden in the backfield, and the Hogs had their best seasons in many years. Be quiet!I'm not sure who needs to beaten with a sack of nails first - the parents for being complete ninnies or Broyles for entertaining these whiny people.No wonder these kids are bunch of arrogant, self-entitled swine (no pun intended). It's because their parents are, too.

not ray

Quote from: RHS on December 15, 2006, 03:19:29 pm
Furthermore, I have grown tired of having to defend the truth and three kids from mindless idiots with mouths full of slander and nothing more.

So it is ok to bash on Brett Smith and his family and slander him for his mistake at Tennessee but not for a player at the UA?

See the exception to that is that Bret is a "traitor" to his state.  I swear I thought the war of states was over long ago.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: RHS on December 15, 2006, 03:43:28 pm
Here is how one paper looks at it from outside the state. A snippet from a Jacksonville paper:

QuoteThere's an entire generation that decries the current crop of 20-somethingsand teenagers for being the "Me generation," but it's clear that "Megeneration" learned its selfish ways not from television and hip-hop, butfrom a child's biggest influences: parents.This week, the parents of three Arkansas freshmen football players met withathletic director Frank Broyles to complain that their precious kids didn'thave enough touches this season, and they were concerned about the team's direction. That direction is Orlando for the Capital One Bowl. And these parents have the nerve to complain because their kids are accustomed to having a bigger role? Your kids are freshmen, there's a guy named Darren McFadden in the backfield, and the Hogs had their best seasons in many years. Be quiet!I'm not sure who needs to beaten with a sack of nails first - the parents for being complete ninnies or Broyles for entertaining these whiny people.No wonder these kids are bunch of arrogant, self-entitled swine (no pun intended). It's because their parents are, too.

Mail this to every college parent in America, so they can be thankful they haven't done something this stupid.

urban legend

Quote from: RHS on December 15, 2006, 03:19:29 pm

I was thinking the same exact thing RHS. Bret went somewhere he knew he'd get a shot to really perform, especially since UT is considered Receiver U. He did what was best for him and not because he was born and raised in Arkansas, not because of what people wanted him to do. I have to question Damian's real rationale for going to UA when you've got McFadden and Felix in the backfield. And the cliche, "we were lied to" doesn't quite fit in this one because that's a part of recruiting. If there's a coach in America at a big-time Division I institution that hasn't lied to a possible recruit, I'd like to know.

Chief_Osceola™

Speaking of lying to recruits, I wonder what Zook is telling the kids he's getting.  In case any of you haven't noticed, he's quietly putting together a potential top-5 class.  I guess it's possible he's telling them his team is playing for a national championship, since most of those guys in Gainesville are his recruits.

panther_pride

Quote from: RHS on December 15, 2006, 03:12:29 pm
If he wants 60 balls in a year, pick one of the following: Hawaii or Texas Tech. Those will be the only 2 where he would come close. His speed will hold him back from being the #1 guy on a team.
Or possibly LSU... Just not somewhere that runs on first and second down then waits until 3rd and 12 to throw.

footballfan-tastic

Maybe the SD crew should have gone to a NE prep school for an extra year to get better adn then signed with UA.

nuttinbuthogs

Back in the day, you just did what your coach said.  The fans kept their opinions among themselves and the momma and daddy were just glad their kid had a chance at a college education for free.  Now they all want to run the program when most of them have never played or coached or been within 100 yards of a football.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas