• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Razorback Football 2011-12 (Hogs Only)

Started by Brian G, July 07, 2011, 08:49:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

DerekOxford

Quote from: bleudog on July 18, 2011, 03:43:17 pm
Here's something the coach didn't want to see:

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/article/165255/2/Bobby-Petrinos-son-Dominic-arrested-on-drug-charges-in-Indiana

Dude is an idiot. When he was here he would hang out with girls like four years younger than him and think he was a bad butt.

Uncle Ivan

Can you imagine screwing up...when you have that man as a father?

R. A.™

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 19, 2011, 11:21:03 am
Can you imagine screwing up...when you have that man as a father?

No...He is still so mad at his brother for leaving that they have not spoken since Paul left...I can't imagine what this kid may go through, he may be better off in jail...

I see a 10-2 season with losses to 'Bama and LSU...

AirWarren

Tyler doesnt need a "pro arm" to throw to the receivers we have this year. He may not have a mallet arm but he will be just fine.

Romeo, I think it is fair to say that knile Davis is going to wreak havoc this year at tailback.

Romeo

Not really much of a surprise. There has been a strong pattern of coaches son's getting arrested for a variety of behavior. A lot of that you can contribute to the extremely long work hours coaches like Petrino have to do.

Indiana Jones

time and TV set for the first 3  cupcakes
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205183995
Missouri St (Fay) 6PM PPV
New Mexico (LR) 6PM ESPNU
Troy (Fay) 6:30PM CSS/CST (looks like I'll have  buy that on PPV as well )

sevenof400

From the prognostication standpoint - once again, Arkansas' opening OOC schedule will come back to haunt them.  Opening with three sisters of the poor is no way to prepare for Alabama.  Arkansas already has more than enough money in the athletic department coffers - playing money games just isn't necessary and sends a signal to fans that pursuit of $$$ is more important than the pursuit of success.

Final Alabama 31, Arkansas 17

gatecrasher

July 20, 2011, 09:05:00 pm #58 Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:08:03 pm by gatecrasher
Quote from: sevenof400 on July 20, 2011, 06:19:13 pm
From the prognostication standpoint - once again, Arkansas' opening OOC schedule will come back to haunt them.  Opening with three sisters of the poor is no way to prepare for Alabama.  Arkansas already has more than enough money in the athletic department coffers - playing money games just isn't necessary and sends a signal to fans that pursuit of $$$ is more important than the pursuit of success.

You're an idiot.
Games aren't won from a "prognostication standpoint." Once again (this has been discussed before ad nauseum), we play in the best conference in the land. You have too be prepared every week in this league, or you will get your butt handed to you.

I used to be an advocate of a killer OOC schedule, until I looked at it closely. This year for instance, we have a new QB. The first three games are set up nicely to build Wilson's confidence. It will work out just fine. We will beat Alabama and jump head first into the national title race.

Besides, we have a marquee OOC opponent...Texas A&M. They may be a top 10 team when we play them.

sevenof400

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 20, 2011, 09:05:00 pm

You're an idiot.
Games aren't won from a "prognostication standpoint." Once again (this has been discussed before ad nauseum), we play in the best conference in the land. You have too be prepared every week in this league, or you will get your butt handed to you.

I used to be an advocate of a killer OOC schedule, until I looked at it closely. This year for instance, we have a new QB. The first three games are set up nicely to build Wilson's confidence. It will work out just fine. We will beat Alabama and jump head first into the national title race.

Besides, we have a marquee OOC opponent...Texas A&M. They may be a top 10 team when we play them.

Once again, you do NOT prepare for the SEC by playing cupcakes when you are not one of the traditional powers.  The increased level of play required from Missouri St, New Mexico, and Troy to Alabama is night and day.  By playing this POS OOC schedule, Arkansas football is clearly stating a preference for raking in more dollars than preparing a football team for a possible NC run.  That is an insult to the fans who continue to pray, hope, and sell their soul that this team can win a NC sometime before 2150.

I agree with the position that says if you run the SEC table, you will be the NC.  I do not agree at all about Arkansas' method of preparation to achieve this goal.  History proves my point correct.  I do not see any proof that suggests easing into SEC play will help Arkansas in a NC bid. 

You've been staring into the mirror Gate...

On a side note, I'm sure that if Venny were here, he'd appreciate your efforts. 

gatecrasher

July 21, 2011, 07:19:40 am #60 Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:23:14 am by gatecrasher
Quote from: sevenof400 on July 20, 2011, 10:39:42 pm

You're an idiot.

Once again, you do NOT prepare for the SEC by playing cupcakes when you are not one of the traditional powers.  The increased level of play required from Missouri St, New Mexico, and Troy to Alabama is night and day.  By playing this POS OOC schedule, Arkansas football is clearly stating a preference for raking in more dollars than preparing a football team for a possible NC run.  That is an insult to the fans who continue to pray, hope, and sell their soul that this team can win a NC sometime before 2150.

I agree with the position that says if you run the SEC table, you will be the NC.  I do not agree at all about Arkansas' method of preparation to achieve this goal.  History proves my point correct.  I do not see any proof that suggests easing into SEC play will help Arkansas in a NC bid. 

To further show that you don't know what the heck you are talking about, you said that Arkansas is making money off of these "cupcake" games.

It is the U of A that is paying these schools six figures to come play us. Shoot, we even allowed ULM to come play us AND count three of the games as nome games so they could meet attendance requirements to remain an FBS school.

Alabama's OOC schedule:
Kent State
at Penn State
North Texas
Ga Southern

Such powerhouses. Man that Ga Southern game should be a doozy. I think I'll make plans to watch that barnburner. They'll give Bama a good test, huh?

Give me a freaking break seven.....

And don't give me this "traditional power" crap either. Every SEC school plays a similar achedule for the most part. The one thing I would like to see though is for us to play Texas every year. The Whorns won't do it though.

The Snowman

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 21, 2011, 07:19:40 am
Quote from: sevenof400 on July 20, 2011, 10:39:42 pm

You're an idiot.

To further show that you don't know what the heck you are talking about, you said that Arkansas is making money off of these "cupcake" games.

It is the U of A that is paying these schools six figures to come play us. Shoot, we even allowed ULM to come play us AND count three of the games as nome games so they could meet attendance requirements to remain an FBS school.

Alabama's OOC schedule:
Kent State
at Penn State
North Texas
Ga Southern

Such powerhouses. Man that Ga Southern game should be a doozy. I think I'll make plans to watch that barnburner. They'll give Bama a good test, huh?

Give me a freaking break seven.....

And don't give me this "traditional power" crap either. Every SEC school plays a similar achedule for the most part. The one thing I would like to see though is for us to play Texas every year. The Whorns won't do it though.
I don't recall Aubbie playing anyone of consequence out of conference last year and they seemed to do just fine.  The reality of the matter is even if you play a top shelf school outside the conference it doesn't prepare you for the sec gauntlet.  Soooo you may as well fine tune some things and make it to conference as healthy as possible. 

Ex-HAplayer

Alabama is going to Penn State, Auburn is going to Clemson and LSU is playing Oregon. Those aren't walk in the park games and should end this nationwide thinking that the SEC doesn't travel and play no one in their OOC.  Seven, Iono how much of a difference an OOC makes in a NC run but you aren't the only college football fan who feels that the SEC play cupcake OOC opponents.

gatecrasher

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 21, 2011, 09:34:51 am
Alabama is going to Penn State, Auburn is going to Clemson and LSU is playing Oregon. Those aren't walk in the park games and should end this nationwide thinking that the SEC doesn't travel and play no one in their OOC.  Seven, Iono how much of a difference an OOC makes in a NC run but you aren't the only college football fan who feels that the SEC play cupcake OOC opponents.
Hogs are playing aTm, who with a win over Ok State the week before playing us, could be a top 10 team when we tangle at Cowboys Stadium.
Come to think of it, how attractive would a top 10 matchup between the Hogs and Aggies be to the Gameday crew?

Could happen.

Uncle Ivan

playing money games just isn't necessary and sends a signal to fans that pursuit of $$$ is more important than the pursuit of success.

You're kidding, right?  Arkansas doesn't make the conference schedule, the SEC does.  All they can do is schedule around, and say they get a tough OOC game before Alabama - wait, there's A&M, and that date is locked in.

What else would you have them do?  Sometimes the schedules aren't ideal.  It is what it is.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 21, 2011, 12:07:39 pm
Hogs are playing aTm, who with a win over Ok State the week before playing us, could be a top 10 team when we tangle at Cowboys Stadium.
Come to think of it, how attractive would a top 10 matchup between the Hogs and Aggies be to the Gameday crew?

Could happen.

true..so why are y'all discussing weak OOC. Doesn't seem like a team in the SEC west has one.

gatecrasher

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 21, 2011, 03:41:35 pm

Could happen.

true..so why are y'all discussing weak OOC. Doesn't seem like a team in the SEC west has one.
sevenof400 started his tirade again about it....he has been squashed before about it....

DB

I vote for 7of400 to realize he has been woodshedded on this one and tuck tail and never bring up strength of schedule again.

gatecrasher

Quote from: DB on July 22, 2011, 12:29:09 pm
I vote for 7of400 to realize he has been woodshedded on this one and tuck tail and never bring up strength of schedule again.
This

olddog79

It's going to be a great year.

11 -1

A loss to Bama, then run the table. Title year? Probably not.

A new era has begun and it's about time.

sevenof400

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 21, 2011, 04:03:45 pm

Could happen.

sevenof400 started his tirade again about it....he has been squashed before about it....

Tirade? Hardly.  Recitation of fact. 

sevenof400

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 21, 2011, 12:56:11 pm
playing money games just isn't necessary and sends a signal to fans that pursuit of $$$ is more important than the pursuit of success.

You're kidding, right?  Arkansas doesn't make the conference schedule, the SEC does.  All they can do is schedule around, and say they get a tough OOC game before Alabama - wait, there's A&M, and that date is locked in.

What else would you have them do?  Sometimes the schedules aren't ideal.  It is what it is.

An increased demand in the level of play required in the OOC portion of the schedule leading up to the SEC opener would benefit Arkansas in pursuit of a NC - if that is their goal.  Although it cannot happen this year, it would help preparations for SEC play (thereby increasing the likelihood of a NC) if Arkansas swapped the New Mexico and Texas A&M games on the schedule.  That's an easy fix for future years.  I'd still like to see them drop one of the three other OOC games and replace it with a home and home with Missouri, Oklahoma St or Oklahoma (which would significantly help prepare for SEC play) OR play a decent team in a portion of the country where Arkansas would like to develop new recruiting possibilities. 

As things stand now, Missouri State, New Mexico, and Troy are all money grabbing games that do very little to prepare Arkansas for the demands of SEC play but pump millions into the athletic department coffers. 

sevenof400

Quote from: DB on July 22, 2011, 12:29:09 pm

When Arkansas wins a NC, I'll be happy to do so.  Until then....

gatecrasher

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 22, 2011, 04:51:14 pm
Quote from: gatecrasher on July 21, 2011, 04:03:45 pm

Could happen.

Tirade? Hardly.  Recitation of fact. 
It is not fact. It is your opinion. Show some SOS evidence or it is nothing more than your usual BS.

gatecrasher

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 22, 2011, 05:05:53 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 21, 2011, 12:56:11 pm

An increased demand in the level of play required in the OOC portion of the schedule leading up to the SEC opener would benefit Arkansas in pursuit of a NC - if that is their goal.  Although it cannot happen this year, it would help preparations for SEC play (thereby increasing the likelihood of a NC) if Arkansas swapped the New Mexico and Texas A&M games on the schedule.  That's an easy fix for future years.  I'd still like to see them drop one of the three other OOC games and replace it with a home and home with Missouri, Oklahoma St or Oklahoma (which would significantly help prepare for SEC play) OR play a decent team in a portion of the country where Arkansas would like to develop new recruiting possibilities. 

As things stand now, Missouri State, New Mexico, and Troy are all money grabbing games that do very little to prepare Arkansas for the demands of SEC play but pump millions into the athletic department coffers. 
Once again, pay attention...
These games DO NOT PUMP MILLIONS INTO OUR ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. These visiting schools get six figures to be fodder for the Hogs. You need to stop posting and read more, because this is the second post of this type where you obviously do not know the forest from the trees. Big schools shell out the money to the visiting teams....NOT the other way around.

sevenof400

Are you seriously that dense Gate?

Home games make big money.  Do the freaking math for...

• ticket sales
  • souvenirs
  • food and beverage sales
  • required donations to the athletic department for the right to purchase the tickets (allocating 1/7 or 1/8 of that amount for each home game depending on that season's schedule ... regardless of whether the game is in LR or Fay)
  • parking revenue and fees

Not to mention the economic effects to the nearby community that spur businesses to donate to the athletic program.  It's big business.   

I don't care how big of a 6 figure number you have to pay the sisters of the poor (usually somewhere in the 500 - 750K range), the fact remains Arkansas makes big money from non conference home games.  All big schools do.  Why do you think so many schools want to play so many home games?  They darn sure aren't losing money....

Someone in the Arkansas athletic power structure has made the college football equivalent decision of the moneyball computation and determined that more money can be made by scheduling an extra home OOC game each year - even in a situation where a six figure guarantee has to be paid - than it would be 'worth' playing a home and home game with better competition.

In short, the pursuit of money has a higher priority than the pursuit of success at Arkansas.   

By making this decision, the powers that be at Arkansas are making it harder for the football team to achieve on the national level.  It's a foolish and greedy decision that puts money above the success of the program and it illustrates one significant (self generated) obstacle to success at Arkansas. 

Freakin' get some perspective man.  [/list]

Brian G

Well, you're wrong on this part:
Quote from: sevenof400 on July 22, 2011, 09:18:53 pm

By making this decision, the powers that be at Arkansas are making it harder for the football team to achieve on the national level.  It's a foolish and greedy decision that puts money above the success of the program and it illustrates one significant (self generated) obstacle to success at Arkansas. 
You can lose a chance at the BCS Championship by losing a n/c game.  But as recent history has shown, winning the SEC Championship is a sure invite to the BCS title game where 5 straight times the SEC took that puppy.

The SEC(and especially a West team) gets all they need from within their conference play to win the BCS title.  The nonconference games are not as important as they are for other BCS schools.  A&M and a few patsies are enough.

It all comes down to conference.  Self preservation outside of conference is the norm for SEC schools.

The Snowman

• ticket sales
    • souvenirs
    • required donations to the athletic department for the right to purchase the tickets (allocating 1/7 or 1/8 of that amount for each home game depending on that season's schedule ... regardless of whether the game is in LR or Fay)

Not to mention the economic effects to the nearby community that spur businesses to donate to the athletic program.  It's big business.   

I don't care how big of a 6 figure number you have to pay the sisters of the poor (usually somewhere in the 500 - 750K range), the fact remains Arkansas makes big money from non conference home games.  All big schools do.  Why do you think so many schools want to play so many home games?  They darn sure aren't losing money....

Someone in the Arkansas athletic power structure has made the college football equivalent decision of the moneyball computation and determined that more money can be made by scheduling an extra home OOC game each year - even in a situation where a six figure guarantee has to be paid - than it would be 'worth' playing a home and home game with better competition.

In short, the pursuit of money has a higher priority than the pursuit of success at Arkansas.   

What you're saying makes no sense whatsoever!  Arkansas winning a NC is not hindered by them playing weak out of conference schedules.  Look at the past winners of the NC from the SEC and show me where they played a tough ooc schedule.  It would be crazy to schedule a national power year and year out if you play in the SEC.  You realize that the west alone had five top 25 teams last year!  One out of conference game will not prepare you for that gauntlet.  LSU will play Oregon this year and thats really the only noteworthy game, so the other schools must feel the same way as the UA.

gatecrasher

Quote from: The Snowman on July 22, 2011, 10:43:32 pm

• ticket sales
      • souvenirs

What you're saying makes no sense whatsoever!  Arkansas winning a NC is not hindered by them playing weak out of conference schedules.  Look at the past winners of the NC from the SEC and show me where they played a tough ooc schedule.  It would be crazy to schedule a national power year and year out if you play in the SEC.  You realize that the west alone had five top 25 teams last year!  One out of conference game will not prepare you for that gauntlet.  LSU will play Oregon this year and thats really the only noteworthy game, so the other schools must feel the same way as the UA.
      According to Phil Steele, SEC teams played eight of the top 40 toughest schedules in the country in 2010. South Carolina played the third toughest, Alabama was 15th. The Hogs were 31st.

Get this OOC schedule crap out of here sevenof400. You are getting pounded on this subject and it is only gonna get worse, so do yourself a favor and stop posting about it.

gatecrasher

Quote from: B.G. on July 22, 2011, 10:06:22 pm
      Well, you're wrong on this part:

The SEC(and especially a West team) gets all they need from within their conference play to win the BCS title. 
      CHA CHING!

sevenof400

One last time, I will repeat the initial point about Arkansas' OOC schedule:

Arkansas' opening OOC stretch is a recipe for a loss at Tuscaloosa. 
      Your point from Phil Steele's SOS measurement looks at the entire year's SOS.
      Look at the SOS Arkansas plays BEFORE they play Alabama and tell me how that prepares Arkansas to play at Alabama's level. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 23, 2011, 10:33:55 am

Look at the SOS Arkansas plays BEFORE they play Alabama and tell me how that prepares Arkansas to play at Alabama's level. 

Again, tell us how conference scheduling is Arkansas' fault?

sevenof400

So why is this year's OOC schedule prior to SEC play such a big deal?

I can't recall very many seasons that were (are) as highly anticipated as the 2011 season.  So many factors are seemingly coming together such that the possibilities and expectations for this season are high.  While the current team is not without weaknesses or concerns (offensive line and new QB being the most pressing), clearly there is the potential that this season could approach the '78 or '79 seasons under Holtz or the '88 or '89 seasons under Hatfield.

It could be even better. 

But if Arkansas goes to Tuscaloosa and loses because it takes most of the game to adjust to the speed of play and size of athlete, that will be a fault of the schedule - one that could have been avoided.  And the fault for that should be laid at the feet of the Arkansas athletic director and department (whoever is ultimately responsible for scheduling).

Brian G

Schedules are made too far in advance to know who is good when. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: B.G. on July 23, 2011, 12:03:36 pm

IIRC, Arkansas scheduled USC around five years before they played.  USC was mediocre at the time.  We all know what happened.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 23, 2011, 11:56:23 am
      nd the fault for that should be laid at the feet of the Arkansas athletic director and department (whoever is ultimately responsible for scheduling).

In other words, it will be Arkansas' fault for not scheduling a second high caliber OOC opponent early in the season along with a rising A&M on the schedule, and the typically brutal SEC slate, all the while those OOC games are booked years in advance.

Yeah, that makes sense.

The Snowman

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 23, 2011, 11:56:23 am
      So why is this year's OOC schedule prior to SEC play such a big deal?

I can't recall very many seasons that were (are) as highly anticipated as the 2011 season.  So many factors are seemingly coming together such that the possibilities and expectations for this season are high.  While the current team is not without weaknesses or concerns (offensive line and new QB being the most pressing), clearly there is the potential that this season could approach the '78 or '79 seasons under Holtz or the '88 or '89 seasons under Hatfield.

It could be even better. 

But if Arkansas goes to Tuscaloosa and loses because it takes most of the game to adjust to the speed of play and size of athlete, that will be a fault of the schedule - one that could have been avoided.  And the fault for that should be laid at the feet of the Arkansas athletic director and department (whoever is ultimately responsible for scheduling).
      This is a very experienced team that doesn't have to be reintroduced to the speed of the sec.  Secondly ooc teams as a whole do not have the size and speed of most SEC teams especially an Alabama team, so that point is a no go.  Sec teams know that they can lose one conf. game and still make the championship over almost all other conf's so why put yourself in harms way early on.  If arkansas loses to bama then runs the table afterwards they will still be in the hunt for the BCS national championship depending on what Bama does.

RD™

If the O-Line protects Tyler in the Alabama game, the Tide will be crushed.

True Fan

It doesn't matter if they schedule weak non-con games as long as they destroy them and blow them out. It builds confidence, sells tickets and work for the program by allowing speficic areas to be addressed and improved. They are the scrimmage that they are intended to be. If the games are close, then you may have a problem.

RD™

If you think, when fall practice starts, Petrino is prepping these boys for Missouri State, New Mexico, and Troy, you have blinders.

He started prepping for Alabama, the moment the Sugar Bowl ended, he knows what is riding on this game.

Brian G

Exactly.  Plus, being pushed in a game pre-Bama might force you to show part of your package of plays that are best kept under wraps for when it matters.

sevenof400

I agree with that to a point B.G. - however, I can't foresee a time when Troy, Missouri State, and New Mexico will ever be good. 

Now, the A&M game is a good one - just played at the wrong point in the season.  Move it to the second game of the season and it would be much better.  I know games can't be easily moved once schedules have been finalized but in the coming years I would hope that if Arkansas continues to play 3 OOC games prior to the start of SEC play that one of these games would push them.

In 2014, assuming Ark - Tex does indeed occur, that game would likely have to be played prior to the SEC opener.  Excellent. Beat the crap out of the wHorns.

There is a home and home with TCU scheduled in 2015/2016.  Again excellent - although I wish this opponent was from somewhere other than Texas so that new recruiting grounds could be established but expanding the Texas recruiting pipeline is never a bad thing. 

But at the moment, that's it for the notables on the OOC schedule through 2018.  (Note the A&M game is scheduled for each year.)

gatecrasher

How bout another....
      CHA CHING!

gatecrasher

And I will repeat mine:
      WE DON'T NEED TO PLAY THREE MARQUEE OOC GAMES TO START THE SEASON.
      As someone posted, there is hardly a team in the BCS conferences that has the speed and athleticism that we have in the SEC. The three opening games are opportunities to work on things against a real opponent during live game conditions.

Keep digging yourself deeper.

gatecrasher

Quote from: PC™ on July 23, 2011, 02:08:34 pm
      This

Brian G

Or don't give up 30+

gatecrasher

July 23, 2011, 03:35:07 pm #96 Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:37:03 pm by gatecrasher
      Quote from: B.G. on July 23, 2011, 03:31:58 pm

Or don't give up 30+
      It ain't gonna happen. Our defense has the makings of a dominant unit.

Ex-HAplayer

Kniles Davis will be the make or break point.  The secret is out on that guy and best believe bama is going to be targeting him.  I know Tyler Wilson has some intangibles but playing Bama on the road is going to be tough without a good running game to open up the play action pass.  I am also interested to see how Petrino will make up the void of DJ Williams being gone.  Dude made some big plays last year. Great route runner.

sevenof400

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 23, 2011, 03:26:59 pm

And I will repeat mine:
      WE DON'T NEED TO PLAY THREE MARQUEE OOC GAMES TO START THE SEASON.
      As someone posted, there is hardly a team in the BCS conferences that has the speed and athleticism that we have in the SEC. The three opening games are opportunities to work on things against a real opponent during live game conditions.

Keep digging yourself deeper.

Hey idiot, freaking read before posting (I won't even ask you to think because you've already conclusively proved that is beyond your limited abilities...)  Find where anyone (other than you) said Arkansas needs to play three marquee games.   

RD™

Quote from: B.G. on July 23, 2011, 03:31:58 pm

Or don't give up 30+
      They have no one to throw the ball too, Trent Richardson isn't Mark Ingram.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas