• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010-2011 Arkansas Basketball

Started by AB™, December 08, 2010, 06:34:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AB™

Since most of the game threads last year were lucky to get to a second page, I figured just one big basketball thread would be enough.

This is the first time I've seen Arkansas play this year and Rickey Scott looks like a stud.  I know Seton Hall isn't a great team, but it's still solid Big East opponent, and Scott is getting anything he wants.  He actually looks like what you'd think a big time college basketball guard should look like.  Something Arkansas has been missing the last several years. 

They've got a 26-11 lead on Seton Hall in the first half.  Game is on ESPN2.

I know it's the only half of basketball I've watched Arkansas play this year, but this team already looks better than Arkansas did at just about any point last season. 

hb14lh

I just made one for the game tonight but I'm cool with moving it here.

Shooting "lights out" literally right now.

AB™

My bad.  I just know most of the game threads last year got very little traffic.  Some would barely get whatever the number of posts it took to get over a half page long. 

hb14lh

I understand completely.

Hogs are playing good right now. Up 38-26 at Half.

If they would have shown up in OT against UBA this team would be undefeated with a real good chance of being 7-0 after tonight. I'll take 6-1 though.

AB™

Decent looking half.  Arkansas' guards got sloppy lat e in the half there adn tried to force too much.  Seton Hall hit some threes and got the lead down to 12.  Arkansas still looked pretty good in the first half, though. 

Brian G

We can do both.  I like a season thread.

It's nice to play well on a big stage.  We have a good amount of down time overall for finals and when that ends we should have Powell at full strength.

Warning:  This thread will not turn into a bash festival.

AB™

Quote from: B.G. on December 08, 2010, 07:10:51 pm

It's nice to play well on a big stage.  We have a good amount of down time overall for finals and when that ends we should have Powell at full strength.

Venny still posts here, so at some point he will try and turn it that direction.

Brian G

He is welcome to that opinion.  But it will not control this threads intent. 

Romeo

Arkansas was hot in the first half but has gone cold in the second.

cav2012

Looks like a good win for Arkansas .....I'm thinking NCAA tournament  ;D

Brian G

Time to win a tight one.  Finish this.

Romeo

AB™

That's a good solid win.  I'm guessing the Pope kid Seton Hall who didn't play the first half is one of their 2 best players.  Not sure if he would have been the difference tonight, but it's hard to deny had he played the entire game, it would have been much closer. 

AT

71-62 Hogs win. It was sloppy, but a win is a win.

I hope Nobles can shoot that well more often. We rebounded quite well tonight, also.

Romeo

Hopefully the winning can continue and we can get some more fanbase attention. Our basketball attention is starting to sink to the level Alabama fans cares about basketball.

hb14lh

Delvon Johnson had a monster game! 8 points, 12 rebounds, 8 blocks

Hello Post Player!

cav2012

Anybody else see 20 wins this year?

AirWarren

I'm proud of the hogs. A confidence and it helps build resilience for tight conference games. Way to finish guys.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: hb14lh on December 08, 2010, 08:39:11 pm
Delvon Johnson had a monster game! 8 points, 12 rebounds, 8 blocks

Hello Post Player!
His dunk at the end actually gave him 10 points for a double-double.

Honestly, he had a triple double, but they screwed him out of a few blocks. Some of those shots he blocked that went straight up were credited as air balls or turnovers, so he didn't get blocks for them.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: AB™ on December 08, 2010, 07:28:59 pm

Venny still posts here, so at some point he will try and turn it that direction.
Easy AB...I haven't said anything this year. I didn't even say anything after the UAB loss. I would love to see them have a great season especially with the class they have coming in next year. I will reserve judgement for now...

BHS

For those of you interested, I believe EPC plays at Parkview sometime this month, I will have to check.  That is Madden vs Ross, and I'm sure you could see some highlights in it!  Ill update later when I find out the date.

AB™

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 09, 2010, 08:56:06 am
Quote from: AB™ on December 08, 2010, 07:28:59 pm

Easy AB...I haven't said anything this year. I didn't even say anything after the UAB loss. I would love to see them have a great season especially with the class they have coming in next year. I will reserve judgement for now...

I've notice.  I just figured given your track record it was only a matter of time.  8)

Smithian

Marshawn Powell has started to look pretty good. Once he is 100% he is in discussion for best player in the SEC.

AB™

Quote from: Smithian on December 09, 2010, 01:57:18 pm
Marshawn Powell has started to look pretty good. Once he is 100% he is in discussion for best player in the SEC.

There's a freshman by the name of Terrance Jones at Kentucky who will have a lot to say about that.  Not only is he the best player in the SEC right now, he's one of the 5 best players in the nation. 

hb14lh

SEC West

Smithian

Quote from: AB™ on December 09, 2010, 02:02:42 pm

There's a freshman by the name of Terrance Jones at Kentucky who will have a lot to say about that.  Not only is he the best player in the SEC right now, he's one of the 5 best players in the nation. 
Like I said, in the discussion.

Let's not forget Marshawn was pretty darn good last year. And this year before he hurt his foot has was not only a lot stronger but was taking his game out to the perimeter with ease. And this year he'll have an offense designed to get him the ball.

Romeo

Were in position to contend for the SEC West title. Problem with that is winning the west may not mean much for a NCAA tourney bid.

Smithian

Quote from: Romeo on December 09, 2010, 02:14:18 pm
Were in position to contend for the SEC West title. Problem with that is winning the west may not mean much for a NCAA tourney bid.
We need to beat either TAMU or Texas or atleast make both games very close. Then win atleat 8 games in SEC play. Then a good showing in the SEC Tourney and we have a tourney shot. The Arkansas name still holds some respect nationally and we snuck in Heath's last year.

However, even second in the SEC-West and it isn't happening regardless.

AB™

Quote from: Smithian on December 09, 2010, 02:18:56 pm
Quote from: Romeo on December 09, 2010, 02:14:18 pm
We need to beat either TAMU or Texas or atleast make both games very close. Then win atleat 8 games in SEC play. Then a good showing in the SEC Tourney and we have a tourney shot. The Arkansas name still holds some respect nationally and we snuck in Heath's last year.

However, even second in the SEC-West and it isn't happening regardless.

Agree, to an extent, because I think Arkansas is going to need 10 wins to win the West, and need at least 10 SEC wins to be considered for the NCAAT.  Even if 8 wins does win the West, an 8-8 SEC record isn't going to cut it for the NCAAT selection committee. 

Romeo

Hogs win their seventh game tonight after beating Miss. Valley St 87-64. We started of sluggish as expected after a week layoff but finished good despite Rotnei Clarke scoring 0 points.

Brian G

Romeo

Women Hogs upset #12 Oklahoma tonight 67-57. Biggest win I can remember.

RATTLER43

razorbacks82007

has anyone else realized 90% of us wont see us play against texas?? its on Jan 4 at 8, Sugar bowl starts at 7.. is a time change possible??

hb14lh

Quote from: razorbacks82007 on December 20, 2010, 05:21:57 pm
has anyone else realized 90% of us wont see us play against texas?? its on Jan 4 at 8, Sugar bowl starts at 7.. is a time change possible??

Nope. Only way a time change would be possible is if Texas was in a bowl game playing at that time.....but they're not!  ;D

Bondfan4ever

I can't imagine that time/date would stay the same.

Romeo

Got a scare tonight from Texas Southern but came away with a 67-59 win.

AB™

Glen Bryant has to be one of the 3 or 4 best athletes in the nation.

FreeMoney

This game was so hard to watch. yes we play harder--yes powell didn't play--yea this team has better chemistry. But this was Texas southern and we struggled. They Box and 1'd clarke and dared our other D1 players to beat them and we were just a little less ugly than they were. Clarke has been there three years now and we have NO ONE to complement him to take any pressure off of him. And I really don't want to hear about how we have a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year. why don't we have better more complete players now. to make that argument would be to say less just recruit low level skill guys with incomplete games for three years and then go for the big bang in year four. This is Pelphrey's fourth??? year. why don't we have better players there right now??

The Snowman

Quote from: FreeMoney on December 22, 2010, 09:15:02 pm
This game was so hard to watch. yes we play harder--yes powell didn't play--yea this team has better chemistry. But this was Texas southern and we struggled. They Box and 1'd clarke and dared our other D1 players to beat them and we were just a little less ugly than they were. Clarke has been there three years now and we have NO ONE to complement him to take any pressure off of him. And I really don't want to hear about how we have a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year. why don't we have better more complete players now. to make that argument would be to say less just recruit low level skill guys with incomplete games for three years and then go for the big bang in year four. This is Pelphrey's fourth??? year. why don't we have better players there right now??
You do realize Texas Southern has 2 guys that transferred from big time D1 schools.  A win is a win this year especially when ranked teams having been falling left and right to non AQ schools.  I'm not saying pel is the answer, but his guys play hard. He inherited a mess when he got here and fans expect a coach to snap his fingers and take us back to the 90's.  Well a recruit could care less what your tradition was in the 90's so it takes time to build back to that level.

razorbacks82007

thats all we can say watchin the games is... why? why dont we run an offense from more than we do? why do we run down and just throw one up, or throw it to them. why why why. also, delvon was in fould trouble just about all night

Romeo

At least we had a better night than other schools in the SEC. LSU lost by 20 to North Texas at home, South Carolina loses at Furman by 16 and Washington State crushed Miss State by 26.

fastdrop

I think college basketball along with pro basketball is dying a slow death.... I have never cared for it until the big dance but I find myself less interested in it every year.

Romeo

Powell's one minute of playing time apparently wasn't because he was hurt.

AB™

December 22, 2010, 09:44:02 pm #44 Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:50:57 pm by AB™
Quote from: fastdrop on December 22, 2010, 09:36:14 pm
I think college basketball along with pro basketball is dying a slow death.... I have never cared for it until the big dance but I find myself less interested in it every year.

The NBA's popularity is up quite a bit over the last 4 or 5 years.  Just because you're losing interest doesn't mean "pro and college basketball are dying a slow death".  College basketball is still very popular as well.  Maybe not as popular as it used to be, but still not "dying" as you claim. 

Brian G

College basketball has no identity.  Players come and go way to fast to form any attachment to them(if they're good).   I know a lot of people don't like Bobby Knight, but he was speaking on ESPN radio about the "one and done" players that now dominate the landscape.  In particular, they come and play their one year(freshman or as a juco transfer) then drop out in the Spring after not going to class since January.

Those two things are connected.  It's getting to were college baseball players stay in school longer.  Fans need to identify with players on the college level.

With dollars in shorter supply for most, they are prioritizing their entertainment dollars.  NCAA basketball is hitting the skids.  Just look at the U of A.  People are now going to pay for seat licenses for football despite not getting anything extra for it.  While simultaneously, they can hardly sell basketball tickets.

I know, I know if the Hogs were good they'd sell more bball tickets.  But even at schools with good teams, bball ticket sales are down.

InYoGrill

Quote from: fastdrop on December 22, 2010, 09:36:14 pm

I hear you FastDrop. I use to be a die hard basketball fan of the NBA and college. I just don't care to watch or keep up with it anymore. Even if the current hog team was winning I don't think it would mean enough to me to go to the games or plan on watching them. I always hope they win and get in the top 20 but football is king with me more than years past. I agree that teams just don't keep players long for both the NBA and college.

RATTLER43

I put this in the UCONN thread but it fits here as well.

To be honest I watch less NCAA basketball now than I have in about 35 years. Talent pool is diluted as so many of the "greats" have gone pro so early that we have not seen those teams get to develop. Chemistry is huge in NCAA basketball as proven by Kentucky last season when they had by far the most talent but it had not been developed. Overkill is the second thing. I used to look forward to watching college basketball because it was "special". Now I can watch any time of any day. Too much. Third, maybe I am just getting older. I watch less everything. I spend more time doing stuff than watching now. I also spend time on the computer now. But I think ratings are backing me that basketball is not being watched as much. Fourth, the amount of anything else to watch or do. I can watch Raymond or Seinfeld reruns, any sporting event, play games, go out with the wife, go up to the mountain, 4-wheeling, etc. There is just so much to fill time nowadays. Finally, I am a Razorback fan and I got to enjoy the Sutton era from the beginning. Then I got to watch Nolan take us to the title. Maybe I got spoiled to "good" basketball with Sutton and exciting and full of hustle basketball with Nolan. The product is just not as appealing right now. Could just be me.

As far as the NBA is concerned, it is more popular now than it has been for awhile. Stars galore including some young guns like Durant and Lebron, established HOFs like Kobe and Duncan, Lakers and Celtics back on top providing a much needed rivalry, and they have taken much of the thug image away. Nobody does as good a job of promoting their sport as the NFL, but the NBA gets a B+.

I, too, think the NCAA basketball is hurting and on the way down. Lack of identity as stated above plus overkill have to be the two biggest reasons.

fastdrop

BG nailed it. Most of the coaches and players in college now are nothing but Hired Basketball Mercenaries. The system has figured out a way to get these hired guns in the system and even if they wanted to stay they lack the educational fundamentals to stay.... one or 2 and done is the longest they can stay.

QuoteAs far as the NBA is concerned, it is more popular now than it has been for awhile. Stars galore including some young guns like Durant and Lebron, established HOFs like Kobe and Duncan, Lakers and Celtics back on top providing a much needed rivalry, and they have taken much of the thug image away. Nobody does as good a job of promoting their sport as the NFL, but the NBA gets a B+.
Rattler I agree with most everything you posted. It was right on as far as College basketball goes for me.

But ... The NBA stars are nothing more than HIP HOP RAP basketball players.. LOL

I remember real stars --- that had a little class-

n the 70's and 80's, I actually preferred pro basketball to college hoops. The NBA had Wilt, Kareem, Bob Lanier, Pete Maravich, Connie Hawkins, Rick Barry, Nate Archibald, Elvin Hayes, Bob McAdoo, and many other great players. The 70's gave us the Lakers with Wilt, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich (and Pat Riley); the Knicks featured Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe (and Phil Jackson); those fabulous Celtic teams starred Dave Cowens, Paul Silas, John Havlicek and Jo Jo White; the Milwaukee Bucks boasted Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, and Bob Dandridge; the Detroit Pistons featured Dave Bing and Bob Lanier; and the Baltimore/Washington Bullets were amazing with Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, and Phil Chenier.

Those were good days for the NBA, and when the older players retired, four ABA teams were admitted into the league. Suddenly we witnessed the talents of players from the so-called inferior league as Artis Gilmore, Julius Erving, George McGinnis, George Gervin, Maurice Lucas and others now battled with the established stars.

The excitement increased as the 80's brought us Lakers Showtime, with Worthy and Magic running the break while Kareem patrolled the middle; Moses Malone, Dr. J and Charles Barkley together on one team; the original Twin Towers (it would have been fun to watch Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon face off against their 90's counterparts, David Robinson and Tim Duncan); and, an amazing Celtics team with Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, and Kevin McHale. The mid-80's introduced a guy who would single-handedly change the NBA landscape named Michael Jordan. Despite his offensive brilliance, his teams weren't ready yet to compete with the NBA's upper echelon. He was fun to watch, though.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Decline-and-Fall-of-the-NBA

BTW --- I can go to any Grizzly home game I want to for free -- I have always passed on it. I had rather watch High School Basketball where the kids are playing for family, friends, at their school.... unless you are one of dem Private schools.

The Snowman

Quote from: fastdrop on December 23, 2010, 07:39:32 am
BG nailed it. Most of the coaches and players in college now are nothing but Hired Basketball Mercenaries. The system has figured out a way to get these hired guns in the system and even if they wanted to stay they lack the educational fundamentals to stay.... one or 2 and done is the longest they can stay.

QuoteAs far as the NBA is concerned, it is more popular now than it has been for awhile. Stars galore including some young guns like Durant and Lebron, established HOFs like Kobe and Duncan, Lakers and Celtics back on top providing a much needed rivalry, and they have taken much of the thug image away. Nobody does as good a job of promoting their sport as the NFL, but the NBA gets a B+.
Rattler I agree with most everything you posted. It was right on as far as College basketball goes for me.

But ... The NBA stars are nothing more than HIP HOP RAP basketball players.. LOL

I remember real stars --- that had a little class-

n the 70's and 80's, I actually preferred pro basketball to college hoops. The NBA had Wilt, Kareem, Bob Lanier, Pete Maravich, Connie Hawkins, Rick Barry, Nate Archibald, Elvin Hayes, Bob McAdoo, and many other great players. The 70's gave us the Lakers with Wilt, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich (and Pat Riley); the Knicks featured Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe (and Phil Jackson); those fabulous Celtic teams starred Dave Cowens, Paul Silas, John Havlicek and Jo Jo White; the Milwaukee Bucks boasted Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, and Bob Dandridge; the Detroit Pistons featured Dave Bing and Bob Lanier; and the Baltimore/Washington Bullets were amazing with Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, and Phil Chenier.

Those were good days for the NBA, and when the older players retired, four ABA teams were admitted into the league. Suddenly we witnessed the talents of players from the so-called inferior league as Artis Gilmore, Julius Erving, George McGinnis, George Gervin, Maurice Lucas and others now battled with the established stars.

The excitement increased as the 80's brought us Lakers Showtime, with Worthy and Magic running the break while Kareem patrolled the middle; Moses Malone, Dr. J and Charles Barkley together on one team; the original Twin Towers (it would have been fun to watch Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon face off against their 90's counterparts, David Robinson and Tim Duncan); and, an amazing Celtics team with Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, and Kevin McHale. The mid-80's introduced a guy who would single-handedly change the NBA landscape named Michael Jordan. Despite his offensive brilliance, his teams weren't ready yet to compete with the NBA's upper echelon. He was fun to watch, though.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Decline-and-Fall-of-the-NBA

BTW --- I can go to any Grizzly home game I want to for free -- I have always passed on it. I had rather watch High School Basketball where the kids are playing for family, friends, at their school.... unless you are one of dem Private schools.

Those players back then seemed to have a little "class" because they weren't in an era where their every move was tracked and displayed for the world to see.  Wilt was a womanizer to say the least and a lot of them were drug users ala Kareem taking tokes of the funny smelling cigarette.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas