• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State First Day Predictions

Started by BasketballNeverStops, March 03, 2015, 09:40:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BasketballNeverStops

Any predictions on today's opening games?
I'll take:
Nemo Girls over Caddo, Wonderview Boys over Acorn, Izard Girls over Alpena, Bay Boys over Alpena, Kingston Girls over Bay, and Scranton Boys over Armorel.

PuddlePirate12

jk

I believe you'll be 6 for 6, but sure will be pulling for Alpena boys. For whoever plays bay

yesteryearman

Quote from: jk on March 03, 2015, 09:52:24 am
I believe you'll be 6 for 6, but sure will be pulling for Alpena boys. For whoever plays bay

I have been guilty of this myself, but maybe "we" are giving Bay too much bulletin board material....they are already so much better than everyone else (oops I did it again)...... than to give them the Bay vs the world mentality.

WPWells

yesteryearman

Only game I see that could be interesting would be Wonderview vs Acorn boys........otherwise blowouts across the board.

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: yesteryearman on March 03, 2015, 11:10:25 am
Only game I see that could be interesting would be Wonderview vs Acorn boys........otherwise blowouts across the board.
I was thinking the same thing. I almost didn't lock that one in.

DerekOxford

I've got Armorel over Scranton but I know next to nothing about 1A this year, full disclosure. I have every other pick you have.

WPWells

Scranton is one of the favorites...

Moonshiner

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 03, 2015, 11:50:33 am
Scranton is one of the favorites...

I've seen Bay and Scranton.  Great guard play on both teams.  I think that is a wash. Bay gets the edge with size and depth.  Would be a great game though.

WPWells

My point is there's no way Armorel beats Scranton today

Catfish

Who's going to be at all the games today? I need some updates!

WPWells

I'll be score watching all day and tweeting out thoughts on Twitter @Wesley_Wells23

PuddlePirate12

That'll be a blow out too.. As long as Wonderview puts aan on Jackson he won't do anything but stand there

FreeMoney

Agree Wonderview beats non- defense playing Acorn by 15 plus

J.D.

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 03, 2015, 12:37:28 pm

That'll be a blow out too.. As long as Wonderview puts aan on Jackson he won't do anything but stand there

Who's aan?

J.D.

Quote from: J.D. on March 03, 2015, 12:58:43 pm

Who's aan?

Sorry for picking on you lol.  I'm not meaning too, you're just the only person that is posting consistently

PuddlePirate12

A man*.. Sorry my phone screen is cracked so I can't see half of what I type! And its fine.. I'm use to the bullying lol

DerekOxford

Nemo Vista girls win 59-25. 1 for 1.

hawgfan15

BasketballNeverStops

Bigbird2012

Acorn and Wonderview boys went into OT

BasketballNeverStops

Acorn over Wonderview 67-63.
First upset of the tournament.

DerekOxford

I had Wonderview in the championship game. Boys bracket trashed.

D6Bound

Quote from: DerekOxford on March 03, 2015, 04:10:53 pm
Acorn's the bracket buster  :D

FreeMoney

Quote from: D6Bound on March 03, 2015, 04:27:12 pm
Quote from: DerekOxford on March 03, 2015, 04:10:53 pm
Acorn's the bracket buster  :D
Man that is crazy. But I've been saying all year that there isn't a top 5. There are those that played well tonight. Class A has 20 teams that are all about the same. Has been all about matchups all year. This team matches up better with this team than with that team. More upsets coming.

hillbillyball

Good pick.

hillbillyball

Lol, well they sure played some D tonight. Jackson went through them like hot butter. Sometimes 2 or 3 on him.

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: hillbillyball on March 03, 2015, 10:44:27 pm

Lol, well they sure played some D tonight. Jackson went through them like hot butter. Sometimes 2 or 3 on him.

Shoot, during regionals when teams put man on him he would just stand there. His dad (the coach) would be yelling at him and he would still stand there. He is a beast when he wants to be though.

YamThis

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 03, 2015, 12:07:02 pm
My point is there's no way Armorel beats Scranton today

Had there not been a substitution made that shifted the game in Scranton's favor Armorel had that game!

WPWells

AcornTigerFan

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 03, 2015, 10:53:36 pm

Shoot, during regionals when teams put man on him he would just stand there. His dad (the coach) would be yelling at him and he would still stand there. He is a beast when he wants to be though.

If you are implying that Sky Jackson doesn't work hard or have heart, then you don't know him at all. The times when you have seen him "stand there" as you put it--what you are seeing is a kid with 4 screws in his leg who has had less than 24 hours for the swelling and inflammation to go down after he's given 110% in a game the night before. A kid who wasn't as tough would be on the bench with ice on it, but he doesn't have that luxury.

The win over Wonderview wasn't a fluke or proof that "Wonderview must not have been top 10" as you said in another post, but it was proof that when this Acorn team is playing their best (and I admit, they are very inconsistent), they are capable of surprising some top teams.

yesteryearman

Congrats to Acorn!  Only time I have seen them was against Kirby at Emerson in Regional.  Granted that was 24hr after an emotional OT win against Bradley.   Since then I had heard that this was first time Acorn boys had made it to state since the 1970's.  If that is the case double kudos to this group of kids.

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: AcornTigerFan on March 05, 2015, 10:53:27 am

If you are implying that Sky Jackson doesn't work hard or have heart, then you don't know him at all. The times when you have seen him "stand there" as you put it--what you are seeing is a kid with 4 screws in his leg who has had less than 24 hours for the swelling and inflammation to go down after he's given 110% in a game the night before. A kid who wasn't as tough would be on the bench with ice on it, but he doesn't have that luxury.

The win over Wonderview wasn't a fluke or proof that "Wonderview must not have been top 10" as you said in another post, but it was proof that when this Acorn team is playing their best (and I admit, they are very inconsistent), they are capable of surprising some top teams.

Oh I know Sky's situation. But against Bradley he did the samething. He brought the ball down, had someone on him, passed it off, and stood at half court on the out of bounds like so they wouldn't pass it to him. He was obviously exhausted. His hands were on his knees and he was breathing hard. All I'm saying is if you put someone on him and make him work to get the ball, and wear him out, and make him miss a couple close shots or force some turnovers.. He becomes passive. I saw it with my own eyes. Not just at regionals but earlier in the year. Revels has had two knee surgeries and it still bothers him. You won't see him with his hands on his knees standing out of bounds.

Now, Sky Jackson is an absolute beast when he wants to be. He scored like 35 against Emerson last year, and you can't stop him one on one. He can take two steps from the three point line and be at the rim. And I had acorn in the top 5 in my preseason rankings. They haven't been a top 5 team all year. I didn't expect them to beat Bradley but they did. Sure didn't expect them to beat Wonderview but they did. I'm happy for them! I hope they beat whoever they play next also. I hope Emerson can make it to semis and two region 4 teams be playing each other to be in the state finals! I'm not dissing sky or acorn. I'm just telling it how I saw it

PuddlePirate12

But it also proved that Wonderview isn't top 5. Top 5 teams don't get beat by 4 seeds in state. I say this now Emerson will lose. But if so they're not top 5. But Concord beating them doesn't make them top 5 either

Eagles

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 05, 2015, 11:59:55 am
But it also proved that Wonderview isn't top 5. Top 5 teams don't get beat by 4 seeds in state. I say this now Emerson will lose. But if so they're not top 5. But Concord beating them doesn't make them top 5 either
Well if you had Acorn top 5 to start the year, maybe Wonderview is and Acorn finally got to their potential like you yourself had said. You are all over the place with your talk, I don't think your as wise as you think. Jackson kid played well against Bradley, can't play like that and stand around.

I think your really worried that you might have to play Acorn.

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: Eagles on March 05, 2015, 02:09:09 pm
Well if you had Acorn top 5 to start the year, maybe Wonderview is and Acorn finally got to their potential like you yourself had said. You are all over the place with your talk, I don't think your as wise as you think. Jackson kid played well against Bradley, can't play like that and stand around.

That's what it is. I'd rather play ICC than Acorn. Your crazy. I was cheering for acorn through the entire regional. I didn't say Jackson did that the whole game. He did it once in the 4th quarter. Yeah he had been in the whole game, yeah he broke his leg, yeah he still had 27 points (seemed like 40). Y'all don't understand. I'm not dissing the kid or the team. I'm just suprised they've made it this far. And I'm genuine in my hope that they continue to win. I can't cheer for Emerson to win every game! They don't play them all. What 1 seed isn't glad Acorn beat Wonderview? They would all rather play a 4 seed than a 1. I'm also pulling for Kirby and Nevada to win. I'm not scared that Emerson will have to play them. I'd much rather play one of them than Bay or Scranton. Wouldn't you?

AcornTigerFan

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 05, 2015, 11:57:03 am
Quote from: AcornTigerFan on March 05, 2015, 10:53:27 am

Oh I know Sky's situation. But against Bradley he did the samething. He brought the ball down, had someone on him, passed it off, and stood at half court on the out of bounds like so they wouldn't pass it to him. He was obviously exhausted. His hands were on his knees and he was breathing hard. All I'm saying is if you put someone on him and make him work to get the ball, and wear him out, and make him miss a couple close shots or force some turnovers.. He becomes passive. I saw it with my own eyes. Not just at regionals but earlier in the year. Revels has had two knee surgeries and it still bothers him. You won't see him with his hands on his knees standing out of bounds.

Now, Sky Jackson is an absolute beast when he wants to be. He scored like 35 against Emerson last year, and you can't stop him one on one. He can take two steps from the three point line and be at the rim. And I had acorn in the top 5 in my preseason rankings. They haven't been a top 5 team all year. I didn't expect them to beat Bradley but they did. Sure didn't expect them to beat Wonderview but they did. I'm happy for them! I hope they beat whoever they play next also. I hope Emerson can make it to semis and two region 4 teams be playing each other to be in the state finals! I'm not dissing sky or acorn. I'm just telling it how I saw it
Well, I appreciate that last part and didn't intend to go tit for tat with you, but you just seemed to diss him again while saying you weren't.  Not sure what his fatigue has to do with Revels, but if he's not exhausted by the end of his games, maybe he's not playing as hard as Jackson.
By all means, we'd love for our opponents to believe he's passive and easy to shut down, but I think what you're trying to say is that wearing him out is the best strategy to beat Acorn and I do understand that point. What has helped our guys rise to another level is that they realize that Jackson can't do it alone against tough competition and the other boys have really stepped up their game and made contributions.
I have nothing but respect for Emerson's talented team and hope we can make it past our next game and meet up in the semi-finals!

yesteryearman

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on March 05, 2015, 02:17:26 pm
Quote from: Eagles on March 05, 2015, 02:09:09 pm

That's what it is. I'd rather play ICC than Acorn. Your crazy. I was cheering for acorn through the entire regional. I didn't say Jackson did that the whole game. He did it once in the 4th quarter. Yeah he had been in the whole game, yeah he broke his leg, yeah he still had 27 points (seemed like 40). Y'all don't understand. I'm not dissing the kid or the team. I'm just suprised they've made it this far. And I'm genuine in my hope that they continue to win. I can't cheer for Emerson to win every game! They don't play them all. What 1 seed isn't glad Acorn beat Wonderview? They would all rather play a 4 seed than a 1. I'm also pulling for Kirby and Nevada to win. I'm not scared that Emerson will have to play them. I'd much rather play one of them than Bay or Scranton. Wouldn't you?

Everybody needs to step back and take a breath...Emerson has to get past Concord then probably County Line.  Acorn is likely looking at ICC and hey Acorn is ahead of Emerson, Kirby and Nevada right now.  They've got a win under their belt against a capable team.  They've gotten those first game jitters behind them, and I can guarantee you that Kirby, Nevada and yes Emerson will have that first game to overcome nerves.    Kirby has Nemo then Scranton.  Nevada has Sacred Heart and if they win then beast of the East.  Overlook someone, one bad game, one bad turnover, missed freethrow, catching a team or player with a hot hand or look ahead to who you think you will play next and you're back home like Wonderview....One game at a time, take care of business.  I do agree that Acorn, Emerson, Kirby have the capability to get to the semi's.  But they've got to take care of business  first.   Right now it doesn't matter who doesn't want to face who or whom....Get one win at a time.   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas