• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

getting out of a contract

Started by coachmw, June 14, 2009, 07:18:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

coachmw

i wanted to know what you guys know about this.  i signed a contract with my school for the upcoming year back in may, not thinking that i wanted to go anywhere else and coach just yet.  then a job came open that, IF i could get, would be a great fit for me, not to mention a move up the ladder.  how can i get out of my contract?  do schools usually allow coaches to leave during the summer after they have already signned contracts for the next year?  what is the law on that?

OlGuyWicker

The law states that you have ten working days (2weeks) from the last day of school.  Many schools allow people out of contracts, but there are not that many people looking for jobs, and unless they have someone in mind, they may be a little reluctant. 

True Believer

Of the coaches I know that have left late in the year, none of them had problems getting out of their contract. 

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: coachmw on June 14, 2009, 07:18:34 pm
i wanted to know what you guys know about this.  i signed a contract with my school for the upcoming year back in may, not thinking that i wanted to go anywhere else and coach just yet.  then a job came open that, IF i could get, would be a great fit for me, not to mention a move up the ladder.  how can i get out of my contract?  do schools usually allow coaches to leave during the summer after they have already signned contracts for the next year?  what is the law on that?

You should go right to your superintendent.  The longer you put this off, the more you reduce your chances to get out of the contract.  Generally, if you want out, they don't want to force somebody to stay who wants out.  If you are currently working in a district that has trouble bringing in certified people, your chances are pretty slim now that the 10 day period is over.  As a general rule, any time you are talking with another school about a potential position, you should make your current employer aware you are talking.  You cannot be fired for seeking other positions, but if you surprise your current employer, he/she can make your life no fun.  It's all about communication.  Most supt.'s I know, are happy to help employees better themselves, but like I alluded to previously, if the first time your current supt. finds out about you having a new job is in the newspaper, or the next supt calling, you better hope you get the new job.

Ignatius J. Reilly

I've heard several different opinions on this.  The 2 most popular are that you have 30 days after you sign your contract to get out, but I've also heard you have 30 days until the first days of school to get out.  Districts who have difficult times finding teachers will pretty much stick to their guns and not let you out.  I know a coach who was getting a very good promotion at another school and Pine Bluff wouldn't let him out.  I've also known districts to let coaches out of their contracts if they are getting a promotion or moving up at the new district.  Either way be honest with your administration and keep the lines of communication open with them.

parpar

1.  You can resign at any time.  It's accepting the next job that is the issue.
2.  With mutual agreement, you can get out at any time and accept a new job.  And it is the school board, not the supt., that makes the ultimate decision.  However, most school boards will go along with the supt.'s recommendation.
3.  The tougher your teaching role is to fill, the more reluctant your current district will be to let you out.  I know of one coach who taught geometry and tried to move on August 10.  The district said no. Therefore, if you can recommend a replacement for your job, the better off you will be.
4.  Most supt's and ad's that I am aware of usually talk to the other district's equivalents.  I would make sure that happens.  The old line "don't talk to my other employer" works great in the private sector, but not so well in public schools.

I have notcied that since the All-Star game and coach's meetings has been moved to earlier int he year, there are not as many last minute changes as there used to be.

benchball

LEAVE..LEAVE NOW. do not collect $200 or a get out of jail free card...JUST LEAVE NOW

Jimbo Morphis

i would try to get the other job before i worried about getting out of your contract.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas