• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conway Open

Started by Brian G, March 14, 2018, 06:23:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

March 14, 2018, 06:23:18 pm Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:37:10 pm by B.G.
Ashcraft gives it up to become the new Conway AD

AT

Two 7A jobs so far. Any guys in lower enrollment schools with ties to Conway? Or even upper enrollment?

WTD

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 14, 2018, 08:54:07 pm
Two 7A jobs so far. Any guys in lower enrollment schools with ties to Conway? Or even upper enrollment?

Does Coach McNabb?

ClutchFactor62

IAFLAR7

What could Patton do with Conway talent?

AirWarren

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on March 16, 2018, 12:19:44 pm
What could Patton do with Conway talent?

Probably the same thing he is going to do with LR Central talent.

Brian G

I think the interest here will be huge.  Even more than LRC job.

Ashcraft has made a ton of contacts in the profession and my guess is he hires someone he knows pretty darn well.

RZback

Why does it seem that Conway cannot get over the hump.  Average about 7 wins a year under Ashcraft and not nearly that before him.   Is the talent just not there any longer?

AT

March 17, 2018, 12:42:38 pm #8 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:00:03 pm by Almatrackster
Seems like Conway always runs into Fayetteville in the playoffs and never beats them. They had a good year this past year, I thought. Just ran into the NLR juggernaut.

4real

Anyone who thinks Conway will ever be able to replace the top dogs in 7A football don't know their history.  Ashcraft did a great job and probably maxed out their potential. I think most Conway folks would realize this.  Get a guy who understands that instant gratification isn't likely, hard work is demanded, and maybe one every 15-20 years they can win a state title

RZback

Quote from: 4real on March 17, 2018, 12:46:13 pm
Anyone who thinks Conway will ever be able to replace the top dogs in 7A football don't know their history.  Ashcraft did a great job and probably maxed out their potential. I think most Conway folks would realize this.  Get a guy who understands that instant gratification isn't likely, hard work is demanded, and maybe one every 15-20 years they can win a state title

When is their last state football championship?  60's?

4real

I want to say Buzz won one in the 80's... but that could be way off

RZback

Quote from: 4real on March 17, 2018, 01:02:53 pm
I want to say Buzz won one in the 80's... but that could be way off

Looked it up. It's the 60's, 67, 64 I believe.

AT

I thought Ashcraft did a good job, too. They could maybe take the next step, but it is going to be tough.

4real

Quote from: RZback on March 17, 2018, 01:43:48 pm
Looked it up. It's the 60's, 67, 64 I believe.
wow. That's way back there.  Makes me ponder a new question...
What 7A program has had the longest dry spell w/o a state title?

Walter

Bryant, for one, has never won a championship in 7A football. 7A and 6A came into existence around 2006. Before that the largest classification was 5A.

Brian G

Plus there are 7A schools that came about due to splits.  They've only been in 7A.

Heritage and Bentonville West.
Har-Ber is same deal but they have a title.

4real

Well, I meant schools that are in 7A or the old 5A, and in some cases old old 4A

WillC

Van Buren's last was in 1996, when 4A was the largest. Only 2 or 3 winning seasons since. That's 22 years, but I couldn't tell you if that drought is any more than other schools off the top of my head.

Rob Van Winkle

I think the last time Rogers won state was in the 60s or 70s.

4real

So does this mean that Heritage and B-West are the only two without one?

Mulerider4Life

Very curious about the future of Conway Wampus Cats Football. Just moved to Conway not too long ago and it looks like they will have to divide the High School if Conway keeps growing. Untill then, I am sure Conway will have more numbers to pick from in football.

PressBox-81

As a long time resident of Conway I can tell you more numbers does not equate to more athletes.  Conway has lots of students but not large number of athletes.  The new school was built to accommodate the growth we are seeing in Conway.  However, to split will be extremely costly and will never make anyone happy when they have to come up with a way to split the city.  I don't see the money being there to build not only another high school but all the extracurricular facilities that will be needed.  Coach Ashcraft did bring a new attitude to the program and had really good discipline so the next new coach will have to add to that style as well as find a way to be successful with the players available.

incogneto

Well this is the dumbest thing I have read today. 

nsuqb10

This sure has been quiet for a big job, is it a done deal?

Cabotfan

Quote from: nsuqb10 on March 26, 2018, 01:04:31 pm
This sure has been quiet for a big job, is it a done deal?

Bigger than Central?

nsuqb10

I know central
Is open but is it posted anywhere

nsuqb10

Hearing some big names for Conway

Brian G

Obviously there is a old school family connection being rumored.

nsuqb10

Yes along with some other big names

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: B.G. on March 28, 2018, 04:09:22 pm
Obviously there is a old school family connection being rumored.

So Brad Bolding? Not sure why folks are scared to mention names.

It's always, "some big names" are applying. LOL

nsuqb10

Heard

Patton
Dawson
McNabb
Current OC

Pat Swilling

bbishop

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 29, 2018, 09:53:10 am

isnt Bolding rumored to be going to Central

Cabotfan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 29, 2018, 09:53:10 am

I was thinking Bobby?

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Cabotfan on March 29, 2018, 12:27:20 pm
I was thinking Bobby?

I doubt Central would go after Brad. 4-6 at Parkview.

WorkOrder

Quote from: nsuqb10 on March 29, 2018, 10:05:28 am
Heard

Patton
Dawson
McNabb
Current OC

Not anything against Conway, but why would Dawson want this job? He has the best job in the state as far as high school football.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Cabotfan on March 29, 2018, 12:27:20 pm
I was thinking Bobby?

Yeah, I could see that. He's done great at Pine Bluff.

AT

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on March 29, 2018, 12:28:34 pm
I doubt Central would go after Brad. 4-6 at Parkview.

Maybe if you only look at the bottom line, but in year one, his team, which hasn't exactly achieved a lot here lately, had PA and McClellan on the ropes. He was in probably the best 5A conference top to bottom.

Coach of the year type stuff in my opinion, but missing the playoffs was a bit much for him to receive that.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: WorkOrder on March 29, 2018, 12:38:35 pm
Not anything against Conway, but why would Dawson want this job? He has the best job in the state as far as high school football.

He doesn't. He's got a great gig at FV and a good team returning.

Baitshop

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on March 29, 2018, 03:14:55 pm
He doesn't. He's got a great gig at FV and a good team returning.

Of course, Dawson has moved away from multiple "good" jobs before. I think that anyone that hires him is taking a risk on his job hopping tendencies.

If he were to be interested in the Conway (a good job, but no way near to the Fayetteville job) I would have to question whether anyone could hire him and expect or trust for him to be any kind of long term answer for your program.

There's got to be some Gypsy blood back in the Dawson family tree....

Overdahill

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 29, 2018, 03:02:52 pm
Maybe if you only look at the bottom line, but in year one, his team, which hasn't exactly achieved a lot here lately, had PA and McClellan on the ropes. He was in probably the best 5A conference top to bottom.

Coach of the year type stuff in my opinion, but missing the playoffs was a bit much for him to receive that.

^^ True

Brian G

Dawson is not leaving FHS for CHS.

Kraig Crist

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 29, 2018, 03:02:52 pm

Siphoning NLR players might be more noticeable at Central than Parkview. Good Luck doing that at Conway. They improved thanks to 4-6 transfers. If that's your standard for Coach of the Year you probably still hoop on a little tikes goal.

nsuqb10

Conway still best job open

Overdahill

Quote from: Kraig Crist on March 30, 2018, 12:21:38 am
Siphoning NLR players might be more noticeable at Central than Parkview. Good Luck doing that at Conway. They improved thanks to 4-6 transfers. If that's your standard for Coach of the Year you probably still hoop on a little tikes goal.

??? NLR couldn't have lost too much talent based on the year they had

francocat

Quote from: Kraig Crist on March 30, 2018, 12:21:38 am

That is RICH! You actually have a beef with anyone recruiting NLR players? Gimme a break, nobody can hold a candle to NLR magically plugging in the just the right players, in football & basketball.

nsuqb10

Heard Conway made calls, who's in the running officially

Mulerider4Life

Im sure a nice size salary will be in order for the new coach.

arreferee

Quote from: WC-soccer dad on March 20, 2018, 03:24:15 pm
As a long time resident of Conway I can tell you more numbers does not equate to more athletes.  Conway has lots of students but not large number of athletes.  The new school was built to accommodate the growth we are seeing in Conway.  However, to split will be extremely costly and will never make anyone happy when they have to come up with a way to split the city.  I don't see the money being there to build not only another high school but all the extracurricular facilities that will be needed.  Coach Ashcraft did bring a new attitude to the program and had really good discipline so the next new coach will have to add to that style as well as find a way to be successful with the players available.

From what I understand, the class that is graduating in a couple of months is one of the most athletic classes Conway has had in a while.  I think they have more kids going to play a sport in college than they've had before.  But, that hasn't translated into success on the football field. 

One of the main problems (I've heard this from many different people over the years) is the middle school and junior high programs.  They might only play 15 kids the entire game at those levels.  So, most of the kids quit before they get to high school because they never get to play.  And, the high school team doesn't have very many players moving up that have any experience.  Instead of getting a lot of kids experience, they have some that never leave the field...they are on offense, defense, kickoffs, trys, punt, kick returns, etc.  Not that this would completely solve the issue of Conway not getting over the hump, but it could make a difference if they had a lot more kids with some experience moving up.  Plus, the middle school and junior high programs should be there to help build the high school programs.  That's not the way they are treated in Conway. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas