• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Woodlawn Bears

Started by Jack1990, October 17, 2017, 01:06:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack1990

Woodlawn has cancelled the remainder of their season citing player safety due to their lack of players.

dawgpound

big E

Baseball season cometh early.

beach bum

That is sad cause this is starting to happen to schools even that you never thought it would.... Here is an example.

dawgpound

Who was still on the schedule those teams now have two open dates

Jack1990

Quote from: dawgpound on October 17, 2017, 02:53:28 pm
Who was still on the schedule those teams now have two open dates
Strong, Bearden, and Rison

Jimbo Morphis

Their coach is a great guy, hate it for all of them.

HG Hornet

They played hard when they came to CHG and one of their players had two kickoff returns on us.  Sorry, can't remember the kid's name, but he had some wheels. 

AT

I thought this might be possible this year. JC-W played at Woodlawn last year and I want to say something like 21/30 players were seniors? Maybe even a larger percentage than that.

Dayton Kitchens

How many players were they down to?   If they could put 12 able bodied on the field they should play the final three games.

Risonwildcat212

Really sad when this happens. It might not be a popular opinion but the Woodlawn kids should be allowed to play at Rison. We're already going up to 3A, they have a hard time fielding a team every year, they could be coached by one of the best, most successful coaches in the state and, the schools are not that far apart. Now in theory Rison could win this weekend and because Woodlawn was the last of our conference games, with the bye to start the playoffs, it could be 2 weeks off before we play. Coach Totty will not be happy with that.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on October 17, 2017, 09:46:36 pm
Really sad when this happens. It might not be a popular opinion but the Woodlawn kids should be allowed to play at Rison. We're already going up to 3A, they have a hard time fielding a team every year, they could be coached by one of the best, most successful coaches in the state and, the schools are not that far apart. Now in theory Rison could win this weekend and because Woodlawn was the last of our conference games, with the bye to start the playoffs, it could be 2 weeks off before we play. Coach Totty will not be happy with that.

Are you kidding?   I thought they didn't even like using your zip code?

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on October 17, 2017, 09:53:18 pm
Are you kidding?   I thought they didn't even like using your zip code?
Woodlawn and Rison have no bad blood with each other. What makes you think we're rivals?

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on October 17, 2017, 10:04:56 pm
Woodlawn and Rison have no bad blood with each other. What makes you think we're rivals?

When I coached in that conference and attended church with some school employees from Woodlawn there did seem to be substantial disdain among them for Rison.

I wouldn't call it a "rivalry" because historically Rison has outclassed Woodlawn in football.   And wasn't it not long ago that calling Woodlawn "Rison Woodlawn" on this board was guaranteed to get a rise out of the Bear faithful?

Risonwildcat212

I'm from Rison, and i know plenty of people that are from Woodlawn. We honestly don't feel any thing about each other. They most of the time win in baseball, we've never lost to them in football. That's about as far as it goes.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on October 17, 2017, 10:28:14 pm
I'm from Rison, and i know plenty of people that are from Woodlawn. We honestly don't feel any thing about each other. They most of the time win in baseball, we've never lost to them in football. That's about as far as it goes.

Lost one time...way back

tacklethis...

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on October 17, 2017, 06:49:27 pm
How many players were they down to?   If they could put 12 able bodied on the field they should play the final three games.

It's all about baseball. If only one baseball player was on the football team and there was a chance at getting him hurt they should cancel the season. They just play football to pass the time until baseball starts.

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: Dr. Defense on October 18, 2017, 06:46:13 am
Lost one time...way back
Never. Rison has Never lost to Woodlawn in football.

Rida4Life

This is once again where I feel bad for the program but it's time for the AAA to step in.  If they don't it will likely mean an 8 game regular season for the other teams in the 8 next year.

#1wildcatfan

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on October 18, 2017, 11:28:06 am
Never. Rison has Never lost to Woodlawn in football.
Yes Rison has lost to Woodlawn once.....out of all the years of playing them they beat us one time. I think it was either in 1973 or 1974 but they did beat us.

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: #1wildcatfan on October 18, 2017, 11:57:17 am
Yes Rison has lost to Woodlawn once.....out of all the years of playing them they beat us one time. I think it was either in 1973 or 1974 but they did beat us.
You're right. I completely forgot about that. Thank you for correcting me.

#1wildcatfan

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on October 18, 2017, 12:52:35 pm
You're right. I completely forgot about that. Thank you for correcting me.

It's easy to do, we all try to forget that  ;D

Dr. Defense

Quote from: #1wildcatfan on October 18, 2017, 01:52:46 pm
It's easy to do, we all try to forget that  ;D

All the Rison faithful would like to forget that one....but I bet the guys who were on that team are reminded of it a lot around there  ;D

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: #1wildcatfan on October 18, 2017, 11:57:17 am

I think it was actually 1980 or 1981. Either way, a few years before I was born, but I think a man I used to go to church with played on the Woodlawn team that beat Rison.

As for the "bad blood" or whatever you want to call it, I think it just depends on who you ask. Obviously quote a few from Woodlawn have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to us, as Mr. Kitchens has pointed out, but I've known a few on our side that have gritted their teeth at the mention of Woodlawn. I guess being close enough in proximity and competing in athletics, even if it's not always much of a "competition," will do that sometimes.  :) I have friends from Woodlawn myself, and I know others that do, but again... Just depends on who you ask.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas