• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesville at Blytheville

Started by JessieP, October 17, 2017, 12:42:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

I have a bad feeling. The last time we went to Blytheville it was a week after a big win against Wynne at home, we got whipped good. From what I hear BV has a pretty stout defensive front, our o-line is improved but still our Achilles heel.  Post Wynne hangover? looking ahead to VV?  history repeating itself? Put it this way, far more stressed about Friday night then I was a week ago.

The_Pioneer

Its definitely a dangerous game that we can't overlook.

MDXPHD

Hey, at least we have one of their old coaches to tell us all of their tricks and secrets.

Intelligentsia

I witnessed that Pioneer beat down; it was ugly!!  It was also pretty much an offensive one man show, though he did have a nice supporting cast.  I think the young man's name was Clark, and if memory serves, he ran for 270+ yards that night.  All their o-line had to do was open a little crack and he was gone, brushing off would be tacklers like they were delta skeeters.  While we tried to stage a little comeback with some descent drives, our offense sputtered all night.   Could there be a repeat?  Doubtful it would resemble that ugliness,  but Blytheville is always dangerous and a bit of a hangover from last week's high is possible.  We just need to keep on doing what we do well this year, and we will be fine.

tmycjy

Hey I would like to wish head coach Ben Fisher and his staff good luck with Batesville

Grond

Blytheville might be described as a slightly slower and smaller version of Nettleton.

I don't think they have the athletes of previous years, but they do have an offensive lineman [Larry Clark] who is being recruited by several D1 schools. (Check 247sports)

I think it is a game Batesville should win, but they can't have an "off" night.

Blytheville will likely be in "high energy" mode. They have been used to going to the playoffs in recent years, but they have lost to Wynne, Nettleton, and Valley View this year (all good teams). They are desparate to get a win against a quality opponent.

JessieP

Quote from: Grond on October 17, 2017, 12:10:27 pm
Blytheville might be described as a slightly slower and smaller version of Nettleton.

I don't think they have the athletes of previous years, but they do have an offensive lineman [Larry Clark] who is being recruited by several D1 schools. (Check 247sports)

I think it is a game Batesville should win, but they can't have an "off" night.

Blytheville will likely be in "high energy" mode. They have been used to going to the playoffs in recent years, but they have lost to Wynne, Nettleton, and Valley View this year (all good teams). They are desparate to get a win against a quality opponent.

That is one of my main concerns. Blytheville is angry and loaded for Bear, Batesville is rubbing their bellies after feasting on Wynne. Blytheville is looking at a "must win" game, Batesville can lose and still be a playoff team. It is next to impossible win the East, there is no real motivation to take 2nd as opposed to 3rd. Yes, it is very important as far as travel and who you play but you can't whip teenagers into a frenzy chanting "we're number 2". If we don't go into this game with the same intensity we did Wynne we will lose, in past years years a pretty good effort was able to get us wins, not this year. If they take the foot off the gas even a little we will lose Friday and to Valley View.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on October 17, 2017, 12:33:43 pm
That is one of my main concerns. Blytheville is angry and loaded for Bear, Batesville is rubbing their bellies after feasting on Wynne. Blytheville is looking at a "must win" game, Batesville can lose and still be a playoff team. It is next to impossible win the East, there is no real motivation to take 2nd as opposed to 3rd. Yes, it is very important as far as travel and who you play but you can't whip teenagers into a frenzy chanting "we're number 2". If we don't go into this game with the same intensity we did Wynne we will lose, in past years years a pretty good effort was able to get us wins, not this year. If they take the foot off the gas even a little we will lose Friday and to Valley View.

Nettleton still has VV and Wynne. It's really not that impossible of a scenario that Batesville wins out and Nettleton could lose two. And Batesville would hold the tiebreaker over Wynne.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 17, 2017, 12:50:06 pm
Nettleton still has VV and Wynne. It's really not that impossible of a scenario that Batesville wins out and Nettleton could lose two. And Batesville would hold the tiebreaker over Wynne.

Thank you, I didn't know that. You do agree that we must bring it at Blytheville?

wynnefootballfan

I didn't see the big Bly win two years ago. I was in Batesville for work and got to see the game last year. Big Bly lead going late in the game and Batesville comes back, "typical"..lol. 3 pt game if I remember right. Could be one heck of a game Friday night.

Poppy1493

If I am not mistaken if batesville wins out and wins by enough to get max points along with a Nettleton loss to Wyne (a reach I think)  batesville can win the East with a three way tie.

Rampage72501

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 17, 2017, 12:50:06 pm

Also possible for Batesville to win out and Wynne beat Nettleon and have the dreaded 3-way, perfect triangle tie.  All 3 teams would be co-champs, and it would come down to tie breaker points to determine the head to head comparisons for seeding.  Right now, Nettleton is in the driver's seat for the #1 seed.

JacketFan

Blytheville will have there hands full for this one, should be the makings of a very good football game, good luck to all,  play hard, and play safe.

JessieP

Seeing a couple Wynne fans commenting gave me another thing to worry about, Wynne. For some reason they have become an afterthought. We beat Wynne, Wynne don't not go away. They are still a team that with a few minor tweeks can be in WMS. I fully expect Wynne to beat Nettleton, depending on #7. He was hurt against us, not injured. Granted, he was checked on the field, it may be worse then we thought, I hope not. Has anyone heard about his status? We had a few players last year limp off, we thought "no big deal just a sprain", they went for an MRI and it was a big deal. Wynne will always be a threat as long as #7, #3 and #50 are on the field.

j-mann raider 02

Quote from: Rampage72501 on October 17, 2017, 02:03:55 pm
Also possible for Batesville to win out and Wynne beat Nettleon and have the dreaded 3-way, perfect triangle tie.  All 3 teams would be co-champs, and it would come down to tie breaker points to determine the head to head comparisons for seeding.  Right now, Nettleton is in the driver's seat for the #1 seed.
Nettleton has +46 tiebreak points   assume they beat FC by 13  then that 59   giveing VV and wynne + 13  then VV wouild have 52  wynne 42   then lets say basteville beats VV by 7   and nettleton bests vv by 1  and wynne beats nettleton by 3  i think nettleton still wins the 5a east as long as they win 2 of the last 3   

MDXPHD

Quote from: j-mann raider 02 on October 18, 2017, 09:10:45 pm
Nettleton has +46 tiebreak points   assume they beat FC by 13  then that 59   giveing VV and wynne + 13  then VV wouild have 52  wynne 42   then lets say basteville beats VV by 7   and nettleton bests vv by 1  and wynne beats nettleton by 3  i think nettleton still wins the 5a east as long as they win 2 of the last 3

Yeah, let's just pretend nettleton loses two, Batesville wins out. Much easier that way

Intelligentsia

I'd certainly like the one seed in order to host PA in the semifinals than to play them at WMS.   On the other hand,  getting to WMS  would likely be easier from the #2 seed.  I'm just happy to be having this discussion after a slower than normal start to the season!!

Intelligentsia

BTW, any other FF  posters attending this game?  I'll be there after, a stop at Ron's Catfish in Jonesboro🤓

Rampage72501

Quote from: j-mann raider 02 on October 18, 2017, 09:10:45 pm

At this point and time, Nettleton is not locked in to the number 1 seed, no matter what the point totals are.

Points are ONLY used in the event of a multi-way tie in which there is no clear head to head advantage, and only to determine which head to head match up is considered to fill the playoff seed in question.

At this point, it's possible for there to be 2 different perfect triangle ties, between Nettleton, Wynne, and either Valley View or Batesville.  Then, and only then would points come in to play, and only to determine how to compare head to head results.

If Wynne wins out, and Nettleton's only loss is to Wynne, and both Valley View and Batesville lose at least one more game, both Nettleton and Wynne would be co-champions, but Wynne would get the #1 seed based on their head-to-head victory over Nettleton, regardless of how many points Nettleton might have.

Runnin With The Pack

Valley View's O-line had surprisingly little trouble moving Blytheville's much bigger front out of the way last week, and the VV QB and RB both ran wild. 

wynnefootballfan

Im not gonna be to far way from Bly due to work again tomorrow night. I might hop on over for this one, could be good. If it's ok with the boss, I'll ask her when I get home tonight.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: wynnefootballfan on October 19, 2017, 02:43:31 pmrd
Im not gonna be to far way from Bly due to work again tomorrow night. I might hop on over for this one, could be good. If it's ok with the boss, I'll ask her when I get home tonight.

If so, send me a PM and we'll get together for a halftime analysis :)

wynnefootballfan

Sounds good, 50/50 at this point.

JessieP

Quote from: wynnefootballfan on October 19, 2017, 02:43:31 pm

You poor sap. I have one of those bosses as well, it sucks not being a real man. The old saying is so very true, "I have the final say in my home, it's always 'yes dear' ". I make a bold prediction here. If Batesville wins Friday, we'll run the table, VV and GCT will lose by double digits each. If we lose Friday we will lose to VV.

Blazer51

Quote from: JessieP on October 19, 2017, 05:23:26 pm
You poor sap. I have one of those bosses as well, it sucks not being a real man. The old saying is so very true, "I have the final say in my home, it's always 'yes dear' ". I make a bold prediction here. If Batesville wins Friday, we'll run the table, VV and GCT will lose by double digits each. If we lose Friday we will lose to VV.

I don't see anyone beating vv by double digits in this year out of our conference.

JessieP

Quote from: Blazer51 on October 19, 2017, 06:42:34 pm
I don't see anyone beating vv by double digits in this year out of our conference.

VV is a very good football team, no question. But they will earn it at the end. Nettleton and Batesville is a tough way to end the year. Like I said, it depends on how Batesville continues to improve. Nettleton may be the best in the East and Batesville did beat Wynne, who beat VV, by double digits.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Blazer51 on February 07, 2455, 11:02:34 pm

If the Pioneers play the way they did against Wynne, they will beat VV by double digits.  That includes playing with the defensive intensity AND throwing the ball like they did against Wynne, which set up some nice runs.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on October 19, 2017, 08:12:57 pm
VV is a very good football team, no question. But they will earn it at the end. Nettleton and Batesville is a tough way to end the year. Like I said, it depends on how Batesville continues to improve. Nettleton may be the best in the East and Batesville did beat Wynne, who beat VV, by double digits.

Wynne didn't best VV by double digits.

Nettleton will likely beat VV by double digits. Too much speed.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 19, 2017, 09:44:06 pm
Wynne didn't best VV by double digits.

Nettleton will likely beat VV by double digits. Too much speed.

You misread what I was saying. I was saying Wynne beat VV, I didn't make reference to the margin just that they did beat them. Batesville beat Wynne by 19 points, a head to head rationale would dictate Batesville would beat VV by 23 points. That's what I was saying.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on October 19, 2017, 10:05:28 pm
You misread what I was saying. I was saying Wynne beat VV, I didn't make reference to the margin just that they did beat them. Batesville beat Wynne by 19 points, a head to head rationale would dictate Batesville would beat VV by 23 points. That's what I was saying.

I missed your comma. My bad.

That's not good logic though lol. I think VV will give us a better gme than wynne.

PA Dad

I don't mean to jinx Batesville, although my predictions usually do that, but I predict that Batesville will be the 1or 2 seed from the East.

SWAT524

I think Batesville will struggle a bit with Blythevilles running , but should pull out a win. I am going to predict 28-14. Good Luck Neers!

wynnefootballfan

Quote from: SWAT524 on October 20, 2017, 11:47:51 am
I think Batesville will struggle a bit with Blythevilles running , but should pull out a win. I am going to predict 28-14. Good Luck Neers!

All depends on which Bly team takes the field. If Blytheville shows up with an "enough is enough" attitude for 4 quarters, it could be a long night for the Neers. As we all know to well, you can never count out Batesville regardless of the odds.

MDXPHD

Game was never in doubt. Batesville dominated all aspects. Playing with confidence

SWAT524

Two ejected players. Wow got pretty hairy. Looked like a ref got song on. Kid was out of control.

Blazer51

Quote from: SWAT524 on October 20, 2017, 10:59:38 pm
Two ejected players. Wow got pretty hairy. Looked like a ref got song on. Kid was out of control.

Atleast y'all didn't have a parent get ejected for yelling at and singling our the opposing teams players... it was pitiful. What we're the ejections for?

RunninJoe

One player pushed a ref. Another took a swing at the ref. Sad.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: RunninJoe on October 20, 2017, 11:19:35 pm
One player pushed a ref. Another took a swing at the ref. Sad.

I'm so sorry that this happened.  While of course I want to beat the Chicks when we play, I really feel for the Blytheville kids, many/most of whom are being raised in very difficult circumstances.   Of course there is no excuse for touching an official,  I have to wonder what circumstances the two boys were raised in that would allow them to make such a poor decision.  While, for their sake and as example to their teammates,  they need to suffer significant and appropriate consequences for their actions,  I  hope their prior behavior and demonstration of remorse position them to remain a part of the team.  Regardless, Rehabilitative Justice is a term and practice I hope can be practiced with these boys.

Gravelbar

October 21, 2017, 09:43:07 am #38 Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:45:15 am by Gravelbar
Some people I know that went to the game last night said it was not a good environment for players or fans.  The players and coaches were locked into the field and the Bly fans forced to leave.  Police had to form a human chain of sorts to protect fans and players from thug groups gathered there.  If kids have to go to play in that type of environment then that school should lose it's ability to host home games.  I have zero tolerance for this type of behavior at a high school sporting events.  If they can't create a safe area for players and fans, then be required to play on the road until they do.

MikeDiesel™

Y'all talk about Zero tolerance. And I understand what you are saying. Yet, you expect kids to not react when they are getting cussed out regularly throughout the night by the refs.

At that point, we are expecting kids to behave better than supposed adults. I hate that it came to anything. But, the responsible adults sound like they WERE the problem last night.

MikeDiesel™

pS. As always, Batesville improves as the year goes along. Good job Pioneer

SWAT524

Refs cussing out kids ....... doubt it.

MDXPHD

Quote from: SWAT524 on October 21, 2017, 10:01:55 am

How do you know? You think these players were just reacting to nothing? Y'all need to realize that kids are easily provoked. Sure, the kids shouldn't have done anything, but for you to just deny something that you don't know, that's ridiculous.

Thanks Mike for clearing things up.

Gravel, you really think these kids don't deserve to host games? We are fortunate to not have problems in Batesville. It's a great town. But taking that from the kids at blytheville because of some unruly fans outside of the stadium, that's not the right call. What do you want the kids to do? Football may be all some of those kids have. Let them keep it.

Poppy1493

You could hear almost everything said when that child lost his cool.  There was no cussing from the ref.  That two children disrepected his team and his school with his actions.  Batesville was the better team last night but Blyeville players plaid with heart through the game.  I wish Batesville players could remain on the field to shake hands and let there fellow players know how well they did.  As a parent and a past player I would like to thank Blythville for the class they should both on and of the field.

SWAT524

Like I stated before . A referee cussing out a kid on the field really. I mean there have been times that I really really didn't like a Refs call , but I have never Ever seen a Ref cuss out a kid . 99.999% of the Referees are nothing but professionals. I watched the game on the live feed last night he lost his cool way before the ref ever even got near him. I understand that a lot of these kids deal with a lot off the field. I hope this player gets to play again. I think he just needs some serious guidance.

wynnefootballfan

Quote from: SWAT524 on October 21, 2017, 12:00:27 pm
Like I stated before . A referee cussing out a kid on the field really. I mean there have been times that I really really didn't like a Refs call , but I have never Ever seen a Ref cuss out a kid . 99.999% of the Referees are nothing but professionals. I watched the game on the live feed last night he lost his cool way before the ref ever even got near him. I understand that a lot of these kids deal with a lot off the field. I hope this player gets to play again. I think he just needs some serious guidance.

He and they do need it bad. The biggest problem is that 6 out of 10 of them have absolutely none. It's a rough deal, the coaches are really good guys that try there hearts out but they can only do so much. In many cases the kids are pushed to go against the coaches through peer pressure and such. You want so much more for any kid ya know..

Gravelbar

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 21, 2017, 10:31:22 am
How do you know? You think these players were just reacting to nothing? Y'all need to realize that kids are easily provoked. Sure, the kids shouldn't have done anything, but for you to just deny something that you don't know, that's ridiculous.

Thanks Mike for clearing things up.

Gravel, you really think these kids don't deserve to host games? We are fortunate to not have problems in Batesville. It's a great town. But taking that from the kids at blytheville because of some unruly fans outside of the stadium, that's not the right call. What do you want the kids to do? Football may be all some of those kids have. Let them keep it.
The kids do deserve to host, but if it requires police presence in the manner it did it is a danger to other teams and fans, so no, until that problem is solved they don't need to host.  Safety of players and fans is first and foremost in any situation. None of us want to send our kids into a situation like that even if the fans are on the outside--you still have to walk back to your car after the game and the busses have to leave the parking lot.  What's your solution?  My kid does have to travel to Blytheville---on a Batesville bus.

Raider2011

I have a younger cousin who does play starting LB for Blytheville who wasn't ejected and said the refs were cussing them out..

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: SWAT524 on October 21, 2017, 10:01:55 am

You don't have to believe that it happened for it to be true.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Gravelbar on October 21, 2017, 12:50:24 pm
The kids do deserve to host, but if it requires police presence in the manner it did it is a danger to other teams and fans, so no, until that problem is solved they don't need to host.  Safety of players and fans is first and foremost in any situation. None of us want to send our kids into a situation like that even if the fans are on the outside--you still have to walk back to your car after the game and the busses have to leave the parking lot.  What's your solution?  My kid does have to travel to Blytheville---on a Batesville bus.

The solution may not be as simple as we think and it may not be quick. But taking football away from the town is absolutely not the solution for that town. It may make you feel safer or better, but that doesn't mean it's the solution.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas