• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mountainburg vs. WYC forfeit

Started by AT, October 16, 2017, 07:34:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

First off, if there's a topic on this already I apologize. I did a quick scan and didn't see anything.

I mainly just wanted to talk about what happened here. I know that WYC had to forfeit because officials did not show up and that is on the home team so they had to forfeit.

I don't think it is big news because the result would have likely been the same no matter what, but can you imagine if this happened at Mountainburg?

What is the official rule on this? What if this is completely on the ref association? Did WYC put much of a fight up here?

beach bum

Whoa... I have never seen this happen before. So they literally rode all the way to Havana and did not play?? .... That is just sad cause Mountainburg already has another bye week 10.

AT

Quote from: beach bum on October 16, 2017, 07:38:54 pm
Whoa... I have never seen this happen before. So they literally rode all the way to Havana and did not play?? .... That is just sad cause Mountainburg already has another bye week 10.

I should have mentioned that the teams did end up scrimmaging. I don't know how lively it was.

beach bum

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 16, 2017, 07:40:14 pm
I should have mentioned that the teams did end up scrimmaging. I don't know how lively it was.

That is just a strange situation overall.... Like you said imagine refs not coming to a team that is a heavy favorite possibly in the future in a similar situation and costing them a game. I guess this only shows the need for more people to sign up to be refs? I know the smaller classifications get less emphasis when it comes to crews, but that is still sad for the kids of those two schools. On a lighter note imagine the gnarly crew the could have had if they just had grabbed some locals out of the crowd that night. That would have been funny. I have seen that in pee wee games and it always ends up a hoot.

beach bum

But I hope someone eventually gives you an answer on why the crew went missing.... I know they ride together and maybe had car trouble, but even then you think one of the refs could have reached someone to pick them up and just get a late start on the game.

AT

I actually know the story from one side for the most part, I'm just curious to the WYC side (not trying to be mean, just something that I've never seen). I know Coach Harrell has never seen this in his 30 year coaching history.

I just have the same thoughts as you. If this happened vice versa, what would happen? Just an auto forfeit like that? That would be tough. Well hopefully it never happens again.

AT

By the way, WYC gave all money back to Mountainburg fans from the gate and were gracious about the unfortunate situation.

AT

Quote from: beach bum on October 16, 2017, 07:43:55 pm
That is just a strange situation overall.... Like you said imagine refs not coming to a team that is a heavy favorite possibly in the future in a similar situation and costing them a game. I guess this only shows the need for more people to sign up to be refs? I know the smaller classifications get less emphasis when it comes to crews, but that is still sad for the kids of those two schools. On a lighter note imagine the gnarly crew the could have had if they just had grabbed some locals out of the crowd that night. That would have been funny. I have seen that in pee wee games and it always ends up a hoot.

I have seen this in a 7th grade basketball game (refs showed up 1 quarter late). I was a temp ref for a quarter...blew the whistle once I think.

YC

Cedarville had to forfeit to Lavaca in 2004 for the same reason.

It's the home teams responsibility to contact the assigned officials in advance to confirm they will indeed be there.

AT

Quote from: YC on October 16, 2017, 08:04:44 pm
Cedarville had to forfeit to Lavaca in 2004 for the same reason.

It's the home teams responsibility to contact the assigned officials in advance to confirm they will indeed be there.

Yes it is. Thanks for sharing YC. Interesting to see this has happened before. I'll go ahead and share that one of the officials that WYC expected to be there on Friday...was in Houston, TX.

Let it be a reminder to all schools to confirm your officials.

Dragonsvoice

iam not trying to be mean but they came to the jv scrimmage missing two helmets. heard in jr high they went to Lavaca and had to borrow pants. I was in the press box and never brought me a roster so iam not surprised on the ref follow up situation.

Prouddragondad

Quote from: beach bum on October 16, 2017, 07:43:55 pm
Well this is kinda what happen I had to help ref the scrimmage game it was a lot of fun. We played it just like a regular game except we didn't do kickoffs and on punts we just did 30 yards everything else was normal like I said I really enjoyed it glad both teams were able to get something out of it.

AT

Quote from: Prouddragondad on October 16, 2017, 08:13:31 pm
Well this is kinda what happen I had to help ref the scrimmage game it was a lot of fun. We played it just like a regular game except we didn't do kickoffs and on punts we just did 30 yards everything else was normal like I said I really enjoyed it glad both teams were able to get something out of it.

Thanks for the service, Prouddragondad. +1

Good to see that it wasn't all for naught.

beach bum

Quote from: Prouddragondad on October 16, 2017, 08:13:31 pm

That is awesome.... I am glad the kids got something out of a long road trip at least.

Rulesman

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 16, 2017, 07:34:42 pm
...WYC had to forfeit because officials did not show up and that is on the home team so they had to forfeit.

What is the official rule on this? What if this is completely on the ref association?

It's actually on the home school, but it splatters all over everyone involved - the home school and the official's association/assignor, if one is used. The same goes for using an official who is not registered. Whether or not the visiting team insists on a forfeit is really up to them. Some do; others will try to work out a rescheduled date.

Bottom line here is it sounds like an AD who failed to do his/her job.

softballumpire

The officials did not show up at WYC Friday night bc they were never told by their assignor that they had a game there. Said assignor gave White hat's name to AD when they did not show up and upon contacting him we found out he was NEVER assigned the game. This unfortunate event was not on the officials or the coach. However this not the first time it has happened even this year. Week 1 a crew did not show up at Malvern. It happens in basketball, baseball & softball too.

init2winit

I guess Lew got the blame for what happened, heard he resigned yesterday. Hate to hear that, I thought he did a pretty good job.

DnA Prostaff

Who is Lew? Is he the head coach?

beach bum

Quote from: DnA Prostaff on October 17, 2017, 12:50:57 pm
Who is Lew? Is he the head coach?

I was wondering that too.... I looked on their page profile says their coach is someone else cause I thought it might be too. I am guessing that is one of the refs or possibly the AD? You hate to see one mistake cost someone their job, but maybe this isn't the first mistake?

softballumpire

"Lew" is Coach Mark Lewis, the head coach. He turned in his resignation yesterday after the incident Friday night and having no support from the administration (repeatedly). He was left to take the fall for no officials when in fact the AD has been the one communicating with the assignor all year.

DnA Prostaff

Hate to see that, thought wyc was improving

P.F.G.

Most coaches speak to the white hate early in the week for a home game jusgbti avoid something like this. WY is in a weird spot here. The closest associations are in fort smith and Russellville. They were currently using the Russellville assignor but I bet they look at the fort smith association. We need officials. This is not debatable.

Beaver Fever

Like someone said, it happened to us week 1.  We had to go back and play Saturday.

doctor in the house

Quote from: softballumpire on October 17, 2017, 01:10:26 pm
"Lew" is Coach Mark Lewis, the head coach. He turned in his resignation yesterday after the incident Friday night and having no support from the administration (repeatedly). He was left to take the fall for no officials when in fact the AD has been the one communicating with the assignor all year.

Hate to hear about this..
When is the resignation to take effect? Immediately or at the end or the year?

Hornet4ever

Quote from: softballumpire on October 17, 2017, 01:10:26 pm

It has to be tough for this school because of the loss of talent to other schools. If you have that athletic ability and want a higher chance of winning you go to Danville. It's just the way it is down there, it's the same here in Hackett. If you are that stand out stud you go Greenwood and play there, not in a small town.

The reason a team like Mt. Ida is so good is because your studs go to that school along with everyone else. Unless of course they move off far away.

AT

Hornet, not trying to look for conflict, but I've never heard people say Hackett has studs leave to play at Greenwood. I'd say that some studs, who may not be stars at Greenwood, move to Hackett. Not often, but I would think it happens that way more than the other way around.

Mountainburg doesn't have it very often either, but every once in awhile, they get a player from.

Of course, Mountainburg lost this stud named Ryan Evans to Alma once...he would have been one of the best 2A-4 athletes ever if he had stayed at Mountainburg.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 19, 2017, 07:57:57 pm
Hornet, not trying to look for conflict, but I've never heard people say Hackett has studs leave to play at Greenwood. I'd say that some studs, who may not be stars at Greenwood, move to Hackett. Not often, but I would think it happens that way more than the other way around.

Mountainburg doesn't have it very often either, but every once in awhile, they get a player from.

Of course, Mountainburg lost this stud named Ryan Evans to Alma once...he would have been one of the best 2A-4 athletes ever if he had stayed at Mountainburg.

I'm confused as to how a kid from Mountainburg ended up as a main character in High School Musical(fwiw this was the result of a Google search)

AT

Haha that's funny.

Ryan moved from Mountainburg to Alma in 9th grade. He may be the best all around athlete in Alma history. Yes I know Adam Daily and Isaac McCroy went to Alma. I've asked coaches before and most of them think Ryan Evans is the best all around athlete to ever come through Alma.

He was an absolute stud for the Airedales from 2002-2004 during some very good years. He was a quick defensive lineman that wrecked 5A backfields. I don't know if PFG will look at this, but he did a little bit of everything, including a stud kicker (kicked the game winning field goal against Greenwood last time we beat them). He went to Arkansas Tech for football and could have probably gone somewhere else but he didn't have everything lined up.

He was also perhaps the best center in recent 5A West history. He could drop step and drunk it like you see in the NBA. Luke Folkerts was of course the lynch pin in that 2005 Boys basketball state championship, but we got lucky that Luke moving there his senior year coincided with Ryan's senior year where he was just an absolute stud on the lower block.

And in just pure athleticism, he won the state discus throw and state high jump, yes you read that right, in one meet. He could throw a discus 160 feet and high jump 6' 6".

If he stays at Mountainburg, I couldn't even imagine what he would have done.

Allen T

It never ceases to amaze me. I follow Little John football as close as anyone does their High School Football program. And as far as I know, all the young men here are all home grown. That remark about kids leaving other schools to play here is just hogwash! An excuse to make ones self feel better because certain schools have a hard time beating Danville! I usually do not speak negative on these post. I give credit where credit is due. If we win against ANYONE I always wish that team good luck the rest of the year. When we lose, and yes, we do lose, I would like to think I'm big enough to say that "you had the better team". Sure I hate to lose just like everyone else does. It still naws at me on the lost to MT. Ida in the playoffs last year. But, they played the better game and deserved to win. What I'm saying is that not every school looses players to their neighbor and if Danville wins a lot of games, it might be because they have a group of young men who have come up thru peewee, junior high and now high school together. Once in a while most every school goes thru a cycle like that.

AT

Quote from: Allen T on October 19, 2017, 09:08:14 pm
It never ceases to amaze me. I follow Little John football as close as anyone does their High School Football program. And as far as I know, all the young men here are all home grown. That remark about kids leaving other schools to play here is just hogwash! An excuse to make ones self feel better because certain schools have a hard time beating Danville! I usually do not speak negative on these post. I give credit where credit is due. If we win against ANYONE I always wish that team good luck the rest of the year. When we lose, and yes, we do lose, I would like to think I'm big enough to say that "you had the better team". Sure I hate to lose just like everyone else does. It still naws at me on the lost to MT. Ida in the playoffs last year. But, they played the better game and deserved to win. What I'm saying is that not every school looses players to their neighbor and if Danville wins a lot of games, it might be because they have a group of young men who have come up thru peewee, junior high and now high school together. Once in a while most every school goes thru a cycle like that.

No reason to get upset. It's just a fact that every school, including Danville, has move ins. I don't think anyone made excuses.

Hornet4ever

Quote from: Allen T on October 19, 2017, 09:08:14 pm

It's just a fact of the matter man.. Danville is an attractive program that brings kids in. Schools like Ola, WYC, etc. If a kid wants some success they go to Danville. There isn't anything wrong with it? Just the fact of matter.

athletic supporter

I bet I know who the assignor was. Just saying!!!

outlaws4life26

Bad beat worst case or however u want to put it. Dierks went to Gurdon 1998 i was a sophmore. Refs never showed and our coached decide to make them forfeit instead of coming back saturday. Gurdon was going to beat the dog out of us but instead they had to settle for co-champs with MS.

AT

Quote from: outlaws4life26 on October 20, 2017, 08:28:27 am
Bad beat worst case or however u want to put it. Dierks went to Gurdon 1998 i was a sophmore. Refs never showed and our coached decide to make them forfeit instead of coming back saturday. Gurdon was going to beat the dog out of us but instead they had to settle for co-champs with MS.

Oh man. I was wondering if this has ever happened to a favorite who was in the thick of a conference title race.

Mister Fister

Athletic supporter, I'll bet you if he would quit calling Bo Mattingly every day and start worrying scheduling his games we wouldn't be in this predicament.    Just Jerrys final thoughts. 😂

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas