• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's ready for PA to move out of the 5A?

Started by InYoGrill, October 12, 2017, 08:31:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want PA to move out of 5A?

H*LL YEAH!
33 (55%)
Sure, whateva
8 (13.3%)
Don't care, I ignore them anyway
12 (20%)
NO, I LUV ME SUM BRUIN FOOS BALL
4 (6.7%)
NO, ME LUV DEM PA POSERS
3 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Bruin Backer

To address High Voltage's questions.

#1. PA has several State Championships in recent years in tennis and swimming. Given that other private schools in LR, e.g., Baptist Prep and Episcopal won basketball championships last year, I don't know why PA's basketball program has not been as successful as the football program.

#2. PA does offer financial aid. Since public schools are free for everyone, they have no reason to offer financial aid. Anyone wishing to attend PA may apply for financial aid, regardless of grade. Aid is not offered on the basis of a student's participation in any activity, whether it be the band or the football team. It is based on need as determined by an outside entity. Per the rules of the AAA, if PA, or any other private school, provides financial aid above the amount of the determined need, then the aid recipient is ineligible for any sport. For further information, see the "Financial Aid" section on the PA website.

#3. There are many, many reasons why it is difficult for any of the LR high schools to have a successful football program. That said, a good coach has led to periods of success at LR Central, McClellan and possibly Parkview in the future. Given the variables involved, whether or not Kelly could make the Fair program successful is an unanswerable question.

Why don't more kids go to LR Central? The answer has a lot to do with the LR school system in general. There are reasons that families choose private schools over public schools starting in elementary school. There are also reasons why many families that sent their kids to public elementary schools do not send their kids to LR middle schools. Once a kid has attended a private school for elementary and/or middle school, it is unlikely they will opt to attend a different high school, public or private. A majority of PA's graduating class each year have been there since elementary school, or earlier. Families choose schools on the basis of what they believe is in their child's best interest. Many people want to say the choice has socio-economic rationales.

Reality is that for many years now, the Little Rock public schools have not offered a product that appeals to most of the families that have alternatives. This is why private schools have proliferated in Little Rock, as have charter schools. Families of all socio-economic groups have abandoned the LR public schools, or have moved to other school districts. There are no simple answers to your questions. Right. wrong or otherwise, Central Arkansas schools, especially LR schools, are different from any other district. If people would worry as much about the academic excellence of the LR schools as they do about the football success of PA, then the "problems" would soon disappear.

*Arkansas Activities Association requires all financial aid recipients in grades 7-12 to indicate if they will be
involved in school sponsored athletics in the year they will receive aid. You must indicate YES or NO above
or your financial aid application will not be process. If you elect to receive financial aid but did not qualify for
aid based on your SSS application, you child may not be involved in a PA athletic program. However, you may
choose to be involved in a PA athletic program and not receive financial aid. If you elect to receive aid and you
indicated NO for the question above but your child decides to play a sport, you will forfeit all or a portion of
your award.

JacketFan

With all of that said, the question everyone is wondering is out of the 63 man roster that PA has, How many are receiving financial assistance to attend PA?

Bruin Backer

Quote from: JacketFan on October 17, 2017, 02:51:23 pm
With all of that said, the question everyone is wondering is out of the 63 man roster that PA has, How many are receiving financial assistance to attend PA?

Isn't the real question how many students are receiving financial aid solely because they are football players as opposed to how many students were extended financial aid before they became football players? If none were provided financial aid solely because they were football players, then the percentage is irrelevant. If any were, then it is a matter for the AAA to handle.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Lefefe123# on October 12, 2017, 10:15:28 pm
Don't punish PA because of their success.  There's a reason for everything.  What happen when PA is no longer a Powerhouse?..keep baiting them in a fight without a unrealistic results?..it is immature and beyond stupid.  If this ad was posted so some looser team can win then suggest taken.  This is playground stuff.
The only way I see PA not being a powerhouse is if Coach Kelly gets a job on the hill ;).

bulldogger15

Quote from: JessieP on October 13, 2017, 08:32:56 am
Yawn all you want. I submit that maybe some people should raise the bar on what they consider genius. In a small state (Arkansas), mid division (5A), yes Kelly is a genius. Before we start erecting any statues or handing the reigns to a college program let's see how that genius fares against real competition. I guess the coach of East Salt Lake is an uber genius, he had no problem figuring out the mystery that is PA. If PA played in a league with Mater Dei, Bishop Gorman, De La Salle, IMG, Brazelton Academy, Allen, East Plano and St. Joes would an 0-8 record still warrant a genius label? I am taking nothing away from PA's accomplishments I am simply stating that maybe it's fans should come back to reality a little bit. Take pride in your trophies, display them at home. Don't start walking them around the block.
+1 Exactly!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

High Voltage

Quote from: Bruin Backer on October 17, 2017, 02:22:56 pm

#1. PA has several State Championships in recent years in tennis and swimming. Given that other private schools in LR, e.g., Baptist Prep and Episcopal won basketball championships last year, I don't know why PA's basketball program has not been as successful as the football program.

#2. PA does offer financial aid. Since public schools are free for everyone, they have no reason to offer financial aid. Anyone wishing to attend PA may apply for financial aid, regardless of grade. Aid is not offered on the basis of a student's participation in any activity, whether it be the band or the football team. It is based on need as determined by an outside entity. Per the rules of the AAA, if PA, or any other private school, provides financial aid above the amount of the determined need, then the aid recipient is ineligible for any sport. For further information, see the "Financial Aid" section on the PA website.

#3. There are many, many reasons why it is difficult for any of the LR high schools to have a successful football program. That said, a good coach has led to periods of success at LR Central, McClellan and possibly Parkview in the future. Given the variables involved, whether or not Kelly could make the Fair program successful is an unanswerable question.

Why don't more kids go to LR Central? The answer has a lot to do with the LR school system in general. There are reasons that families choose private schools over public schools starting in elementary school. There are also reasons why many families that sent their kids to public elementary schools do not send their kids to LR middle schools. Once a kid has attended a private school for elementary and/or middle school, it is unlikely they will opt to attend a different high school, public or private. A majority of PA's graduating class each year have been there since elementary school, or earlier. Families choose schools on the basis of what they believe is in their child's best interest. Many people want to say the choice has socio-economic rationales.

Reality is that for many years now, the Little Rock public schools have not offered a product that appeals to most of the families that have alternatives. This is why private schools have proliferated in Little Rock, as have charter schools. Families of all socio-economic groups have abandoned the LR public schools, or have moved to other school districts. There are no simple answers to your questions. Right. wrong or otherwise, Central Arkansas schools, especially LR schools, are different from any other district. If people would worry as much about the academic excellence of the LR schools as they do about the football success of PA, then the "problems" would soon disappear.

*Arkansas Activities Association requires all financial aid recipients in grades 7-12 to indicate if they will be
involved in school sponsored athletics in the year they will receive aid. You must indicate YES or NO above
or your financial aid application will not be process. If you elect to receive financial aid but did not qualify for
aid based on your SSS application, you child may not be involved in a PA athletic program. However, you may
choose to be involved in a PA athletic program and not receive financial aid. If you elect to receive aid and you
indicated NO for the question above but your child decides to play a sport, you will forfeit all or a portion of
your award.
Thank you for the educated response sir! This is the best post so far and best describes what is going on. I have never said that coach Kelly isn't a good coach or that PA isn't a good school.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Bruin Backer on October 17, 2017, 02:22:56 pm

your award.
+1 

Overdahill

bulldogger15

Overdahill

October 17, 2017, 06:29:54 pm #109 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:32:52 pm by Overdahill
Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 17, 2017, 06:27:34 pm
-1 Much smaller and way less green! Lol

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Sorry Dawg, I need to do more homework ! I'm light years behind Postal and others on the graphics side

MDXPHD

Quote from: High Voltage on October 17, 2017, 01:14:04 pm
Lazy, look in the mirror. Arrogance at its finest. Sheeeeezzzz!

Don't know what you're implying.

I'm not a PhD. Or an MD. I did a random name generator and that's what it shot out. Assuming things isn't the best technique in life.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 17, 2017, 06:39:03 pm

I'm not a PhD. Or an MD. I did a random name generator and that's what it shot out. Assuming things isn't the best technique in life.

Wait a minute, not an MD? what about that $250 dollars I gave you to remove my appendix in your garage? do you mean to tell me I still have my appendix?

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on October 17, 2017, 07:26:37 pm
Wait a minute, not an MD? what about that $250 dollars I gave you to remove my appendix in your garage? do you mean to tell me I still have my appendix?

You signed the consent! And I took the appendix out. I think.

Maynard G Krebs

Only a PhD would know that

bulldogger15

Quote from: Overdahill on October 17, 2017, 06:29:54 pm
Sorry Dawg, I need to do more homework ! I'm light years behind Postal and others on the graphics side
Lol  Me too. Some of the stuff Postal does is priceless.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

PA Bruin Fan

Maynard G Krebs

All this time I've thought you were some medical research type guy up in Independence County conducting life saving research.  Now I find out you're just one of us, you know, normal guys.....I am depressed.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 18, 2017, 07:54:19 am
All this time I've thought you were some medical research type guy up in Independence County conducting life saving research.  Now I find out you're just one of us, you know, normal guys.....I am depressed.

I did not want to let you down, but I needed to confess. I am just like yellowcake and PA Dad....except they are far, far more accomplished than I am.

sevenof400

Perhaps MDXPHD stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night? 

PrivateLesson

It's possible, I suppose.....but I know where the Mr. PhD came from....it's a secret ;) :)

MDXPHD

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 18, 2017, 08:20:53 am
It's possible, I suppose.....but I know where the Mr. PhD came from....it's a secret ;) :)

Can you DM me then? I've been wondering since the name was created. Thanks.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 18, 2017, 08:35:03 am
Can you DM me then? I've been wondering since the name was created. Thanks.
LOL...Will do  :)

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

I read all the stuff that the PA people post on here.  All the legal speak that's written in the handbook and on applications.  yada yada.   I'm sure at Ole Miss, they had the same stuff in writing.   So, what's the real question or thought here?  Someone please just say it.  Say it out loud and don't mince your words.   Anyone willing to do that?

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 18, 2017, 09:06:48 am
I read all the stuff that the PA people post on here.  All the legal speak that's written in the handbook and on applications.  yada yada.   I'm sure at Ole Miss, they had the same stuff in writing.   So, what's the real question or thought here?  Someone please just say it.  Say it out loud and don't mince your words.   Anyone willing to do that?

The thought here may be very simple and not require the "legal speak" you mention.  Just as it was with the explanation of David Letterman's prop of the Giant Door Knob (It's just plain big"), so it is with PA's football program:  PA is just plain good.

Grond

A question for the Batesville folks:

Why is it OK for Batesville to be consistently successful in the 5A East, but NOT ok for PA to be successful in the State Playoffs?

Batesville won the 5A East in 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014. In fact, good luck finding a season in the last 10 years where Batesville or Wynne was NOT the 5A East champion. (I think Forrest City got it one year.)

MDXPHD

Quote from: Grond on October 18, 2017, 12:03:06 pm

Why is it OK for Batesville to be consistently successful in the 5A East, but NOT ok for PA to be successful in the State Playoffs?

Batesville won the 5A East in 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014. In fact, good luck finding a season in the last 10 years where Batesville or Wynne was NOT the 5A East champion. (I think Forrest City got it one year.)

I don't mind the success PA has.  What leads to that success? I have a problem with some of those aspects. And no, it's not the working harder or having a great coach. It's the other stuff that PA fans and everyone else has agreed private schools have. It isn't just PA though, so don't give them all the credit...they get enough credit for everything else lol.

JessieP

Quote from: Grond on October 18, 2017, 12:03:06 pm

We don't have the funds they do. Do you think paying refs is cheap? There is no money left after that. A lot of our kids come from families where summer camps is not an option. A bunch of working class stiffs, lesser people. I think next year will be different. PA Bruin Fan let the secret formula slip out, working out in the summer. Who knew? my goodness, what a revelation. The secret is out, having players life weights all summer, even off campus. I wonder if Saban is doing that at Alabama? I suspect total parity next year, you can't keep a game changing idea like that under wraps.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 18, 2017, 09:38:15 am
The thought here may be very simple and not require the "legal speak" you mention.  Just as it was with the explanation of David Letterman's prop of the Giant Door Knob (It's just plain big"), so it is with PA's football program:  PA is just plain good.

Would you put PA in the same category as schools like Mater Dei, IMG Academy, Centennial, American Heritage, Bishop Gorman? To name a few?

Lefefe123#

There's a lot of PA Haters in here..beat PA is the only solution.. beat them of shut up

bigfootelk14

I'm sure everyone has seen the Kevin kelley video on the "coach that never punts"
But are they as good as everyone talks about? Ranked in the top 25 in the nation

MDXPHD

BG, Eddie, or some other mod, please do us a favor and merge all these crazy threads!

MDXPHD

Quote from: Lefefe123# on October 18, 2017, 04:44:21 pm
There's a lot of PA Haters in here..beat PA is the only solution.. beat them of shut up

How does one beat somebody of shut up?

JessieP

There should be pinned files at the top of the page. There should be a welcoming page: "Welcome to the Fearless Friday message board. Please read the list of subjects that have been discussed ad nauseum. Know that there has been agreement on them, there is no possible positive outcome. Enjoy". Now we can get back to debating who cheats the most.

PrivateLesson

That post....I like, Jesse!!! 

And Mr. PhD...Yessss Please!!

Okay.....bigelk, You are new to FF....You started a thread on Coach Dawson and now Coach Kelley??     

bigfootelk14

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 18, 2017, 05:27:24 pm
That post....I like, Jesse!!! 

And Mr. PhD...Yessss Please!!

Okay.....bigelk, You are new to FF....You started a thread on Coach Dawson and now Coach Kelley??     

Yes I did? 2 good coaches obviously. I wasn't aware there was a rule on what thread I could and couldn't start?

PrivateLesson

Quote from: bigfootelk14 on October 18, 2017, 05:39:35 pm
Yes I did? 2 good coaches obviously. I wasn't aware there was a rule on what thread I could and couldn't start?
There's not....no worries.   Just seemed kinda odd, that's all but Welcome to Fearless.   I hope you enjoy:)   

MDXPHD

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 18, 2017, 05:43:29 pm
There's not....no worries.   Just seemed kinda odd, that's all but Welcome to Fearless.   I hope you enjoy:)

You're too nice.

There isn't a rule, but there are certainly a hundred other threads covering the same topic.

PrivateLesson

True but maybe he hasn't been on long enough to know the layout and topics of the board??

It took me awhile and I know there is stuff I still can't figure out.....like posting pics etc.  You think??   :P

MDXPHD

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 18, 2017, 05:52:12 pm
True but maybe he hasn't been on long enough to know the layout and topics of the board??

It took me awhile and I know there is stuff I still can't figure out.....like posting pics etc.  You think??   :P

Maybe, but I like to irrationally think he's a troll and made a new account after seeing all these other threads lol.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: JessieP on October 18, 2017, 02:56:16 pm
We don't have the funds they do. Do you think paying refs is cheap? There is no money left after that. A lot of our kids come from families where summer camps is not an option. A bunch of working class stiffs, lesser people. I think next year will be different. PA Bruin Fan let the secret formula slip out, working out in the summer. Who knew? my goodness, what a revelation. The secret is out, having players life weights all summer, even off campus. I wonder if Saban is doing that at Alabama? I suspect total parity next year, you can't keep a game changing idea like that under wraps.

Keep up the trolling buddy, I just don't want anyone to figure out that it's the recruiting and seven different uniforms we have.  This year, if we make it to the championship, I hope they change every quarter.  You and bulldogger will faint. 

JessieP

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on October 18, 2017, 07:06:11 pm
Keep up the trolling buddy, I just don't want anyone to figure out that it's the recruiting and seven different uniforms we have.  This year, if we make it to the championship, I hope they change every quarter.  You and bulldogger will faint.

Trolling? That thinking thing isn't really your strong suit is it? You can't tell when something is being said in jest can you? I spend a lot of time here defending PA against that bulldogger moron but like I said, reading and comprehension obviously don't come naturally to you. I do applaud you for bringing up the uniform issue, nice! That just about gives you full house. You have disparaged other teams work ethic, intelligence, coaching and now financial situations. Solid resume you got going there. Just wondering, what one of your numerous insults are you going to saddle your defense with? are they lazy? unintelligent? poorly coached or just lower income plebs? Just curious. 

PA Bruin Fan

First, I take most everything here in jest and I certainly don't believe these multiple threads discussing PA football are accomplishing anything meaningful. 

Second, I never said anything negative regarding other teams.  I did say I think PA works much harder than a lot of other teams.  Not harder than every team,  I mean clearly teams like Greenwood work very hard each year.  But rather than give 100% of the credit to coaching or nice uniforms, I simply want to acknowledge the fact that those boys dedicate a lot of their otherwise free time to football. 

You however seem to say negative things about anyone who contradicts you.  Not sure where that mean spirit comes from.  I will admit I'm new to posting, and perhaps my tone is coming off rather strong.  I'll work on that, if we were speaking face-to-face I think you would realize I'm not hating on anyone. 

Overdahill

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 18, 2017, 06:18:37 pm
Maybe, but I like to irrationally think he's a troll and made a new account after seeing all these other threads lol.

Trolls......... they're everywhere, they're everywhere  ;D One even impersonated IYG and started a similar thread

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on October 18, 2017, 07:06:11 pm

Well of course you guys would change each quarter if it's raining. Can't play football when you're all wet and cold. That would just be miserable. Ugh.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 18, 2017, 08:17:49 pm
Well of course you guys would change each quarter if it's raining. Can't play football when you're all wet and cold. That would just be miserable. Ugh.

Wasn't implying any bad weather, just want to make a fashion statement!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on October 18, 2017, 08:26:36 pm
Wasn't implying any bad weather, just want to make a fashion statement!

I believe that too! Whatever garners the most publicity!

Idindonuffin

Quote from: beach bum on October 13, 2017, 11:30:00 am
By all you PA haters arguments why does Baptist Prep, CAC, and Episcopal stink at football right now?? They do not have boundaries lines either.

They don't have the Mighty Bluebird Field to groom their players.

Yellowcake

Looks like the hate is back. It was actually getting tolerable around here.
You people. Good Lord. Just beat them.
And for the record, the amount of work we put in mercy rules the amount of work everyone else puts in. .

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: IMSwarmed on October 18, 2017, 08:39:03 pm
They don't have the Mighty Bluebird Field to groom their players.

Shhhh...that's the secret factory we have.  Just like the Dallas Cowboys have The Star.  Ha!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas