• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenwood @ Russellville - Revenge on the River!

Started by bulldogger15, October 09, 2017, 08:26:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Future

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

October 13, 2017, 11:07:15 am #101 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:12:58 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam
Quote from: The Future on October 13, 2017, 11:05:12 am
Nah pepperoni pizza ones are the way to go!!

+1  I agree, Pepperoni is da best! 

Can I at least get some love for bringing up hot pockets in this thread? 

maxswine

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 13, 2017, 08:56:16 amIt took russelville catching lighting in a bottle last year to luck into the state championship. 

Russellville did not luck into a state championship.  Billy Dawson built that team into a state champion.  When they started rolling, no game was close, not even the state title game.  I was at the game.  Someone on here during the game put it best.....Russellville looked like Nashville.  The Cyclones were the best 6A team in the state last year.  Luck had nothing to do with it. 

PrivateLesson

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 13, 2017, 11:07:15 am
+1  I agree, Pepperoni is da best! 

Can I at least get some love for bringing up hot pockets in this thread?
Say What?    Any pepperoni that's not Geno's or Cavanaugh Pizza is purely imitation! 8)

dubbnation

I just came here for the comments.....typed while I eat my gluten free hot pocket and watch spongebob!

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: dubbnation on October 13, 2017, 12:44:11 pm
I just came here for the comments.....typed while I eat my gluten free hot pocket and watch spongebob!

+1  It's good to stay in your lane. :)

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: maxswine on October 13, 2017, 11:26:12 am
Russellville did not luck into a state championship.  Billy Dawson built that team into a state champion.  When they started rolling, no game was close, not even the state title game.  I was at the game.  Someone on here during the game put it best.....Russellville looked like Nashville.  The Cyclones were the best 6A team in the state last year.  Luck had nothing to do with it. 

Russellville's record over the past 8 years:
2010    1-9
2011    1-10
2012    6-5
2013    5-6
2014    2-8
2015    5-7
2016    12-1
2017    3-3     

Now, any person with a brain can see that Russellville is not a dynasty.   That same person can see that Russellville had an abnormal year in 2016.

Definition:   Lightning in a Bottle = 2016 Russellville
                  Cards all fell right  =  2016 Russellville
                  The stars and planets all aligned  =  2016 Russellville
                  Luck and a few breaks went their way  =  2016 Russellville

Please just polish last years trophy and try no to pucker up too much tonight. 

ArkansasBoy

you also know who we had as the coach right? for those seasons besides two

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: ArkansasBoy on October 13, 2017, 01:02:20 pm
you also know who we had as the coach right? for those seasons besides two

Stats don't lie.  Coaches coach.  Player play.

ArkansasBoy

if you dont have good coaches there is no way your team can be good

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: ArkansasBoy on October 13, 2017, 01:06:03 pm
if you dont have good coaches there is no way your team can be good

Is your coach good this year?

ArkansasBoy

coach weaver is a good coach he has alot of experience in coaching and we are 2-1 in conference and lost two games by a combined score of 4 points

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: ArkansasBoy on October 13, 2017, 01:08:20 pm
coach weaver is a good coach he has alot of experience in coaching and we are 2-1 in conference and lost two games by a combined score of 4 points

Here's the bottom line.  Russellville was good last year.  They lost alot of good players and their coach.  Conventional wisdom and rationale would say that Russellville is in a tough place.  If they think what they did last year matters this year, then they are doomed to fail.  New year. New players.  New coach.  Start building for the future.  It's slow, but steady, which leads to year in and year out quality of teams.  Beat who you're supposed to beat, and learn from the teams that you lose to.  Weaver, if he stays long enough, with the athletes Russellville typically has, should be able to build something pretty impressive there.   It'll be fun to watch a Greenwood boy.

ArkansasBoy

i know this year team is nothing to compared to last years team i didn't expect Russellville to even have the record they have now or even be in the race for the playoffs because of the coaching staff and offense and defense

maxswine

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 13, 2017, 01:00:58 pm
Russellville's record over the past 8 years:
2010    1-9
2011    1-10
2012    6-5
2013    5-6
2014    2-8
2015    5-7
2016    12-1
2017    3-3     

Now, any person with a brain can see that Russellville is not a dynasty.   That same person can see that Russellville had an abnormal year in 2016.

Definition:   Lightning in a Bottle = 2016 Russellville
                  Cards all fell right  =  2016 Russellville
                  The stars and planets all aligned  =  2016 Russellville
                  Luck and a few breaks went their way  =  2016 Russellville

Please just polish last years trophy and try no to pucker up too much tonight.

I'm not a Russellville grad, but okay.  Whatever man.  Dawson came in and turned that program around. It's his MO.  Wasn't lightening in a bottle for 12 wins.  That is what Dawson does.  He builds winners.  He doesn't catch lightening in a bottle every place he goes.  What is he the luckiest guy in the world?  The guy is a winner.  I knew he would make Russellville a winner.  I didn't realize he would do it that quick.  I don't think any other high school coach steps into what he had and wins a title within 2 seasons.

Or yeah, maybe you are right.  He just caught lightening in a bottle for 12 games.  Wow. 

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: maxswine on October 13, 2017, 01:34:22 pm
I'm not a Russellville grad, but okay.  Whatever man.  Dawson came in and turned that program around. It's his MO.  Wasn't lightening in a bottle for 12 wins.  That is what Dawson does.  He builds winners.  He doesn't catch lightening in a bottle every place he goes.  What is he the luckiest guy in the world?  The guy is a winner.  I knew he would make Russellville a winner.  I didn't realize he would do it that quick.  I don't think any other high school coach steps into what he had and wins a title within 2 seasons.

Or yeah, maybe you are right.  He just caught lightening in a bottle for 12 games.  Wow. 

Are you Dawson's PR Director, Campaign manager, jock strap holder, and Fan Club President?  lol

maxswine

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 13, 2017, 01:40:24 pm
Are you Dawson's PR Director, Campaign manager, jock strap holder, and Fan Club President?  lol

I'm objective unlike most on here.  I know a winner when I see one.  I saw what he had and what he did, and it's what he always does.  Luck had nothing to do with it.

I will say it's funny you think I feel that way about Dawson.  I think most GW people on here feel that way about Rick Jones.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: maxswine on October 13, 2017, 01:43:27 pm
I'm objective unlike most on here.  I know a winner when I see one.  I saw what he had and what he did, and it's what he always does.  Luck had nothing to do with it.

I will say it's funny you think I feel that way about Dawson.  I think most GW people on here feel that way about Rick Jones.

Your argument is not logical.  If he was such a guru as you propose, then why isn't Russellville 6-0 this season?

maxswine

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 13, 2017, 01:50:54 pm
Your argument is not logical.  If he was such a guru as you propose, then why isn't Russellville 6-0 this season?

Well, I reckon because it's hard for him to coach Fayetteville and Russellville simultaneously on Friday nights.  That would be my guess. 

But if anyone could find a way, he could.  lol

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

F
Quote from: maxswine on October 13, 2017, 01:53:53 pm
Well, I reckon because it's hard for him to coach Fayetteville and Russellville simultaneously on Friday nights.  That would be my guess. 

But if anyone could find a way, he could.  lol

Fayetteville is 2-4 this year.  What say you?

maxswine

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 13, 2017, 01:55:38 pm
F
Fayetteville is 2-4 this year.  What say you?

Oh, so you finally figured out he wasn't at Russellville.  Ha ha ha. 

Just wait.  Dawson takes over programs and rebuilds them. It's what he does.  I do know about Fayetteville.  They lost a TON.  And they have lost 2 games on the last play.  They will be fine. 

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

October 13, 2017, 02:06:48 pm #121 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:00:47 pm by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam
Quote from: maxswine on October 13, 2017, 01:57:01 pm
Oh, so you finally figured out he wasn't at Russellville.  Ha ha ha. 

Just wait.  Dawson takes over programs and rebuilds them. It's what he does.  I do know about Fayetteville.  They lost a TON.  And they have lost 2 games on the last play.  They will be fine. 

Of course I know he moved to Fayetteville, and I'm not even on his fan club page like you!   My whole point in this debate with you is this......and pay attention.......Noone comes in and miraculously turns a program around in one year!  NOONE!   At Russellville, he inherited good players from the previous year who just didn't have good coaching in the previous years.  He got them to come together i.e. "Lighting in a Bottle" last year, and they had a great year.  Then all those studs graduated and you see what Russellville has left.  At Fayetteville, they had a great season last year and lost a lot of talent moving into this year.  That's why they are 2-4!  If your theory about Dawson was true, then two things would be evident this year.  1) Russellville would be 6-0  2) Fayetteville would be 6-0.   Russellville would be awesome because of what he left behind.  Fayetteville would be awesome with what he can do with what he inherited.     Please tell me you grasp this basic knowledge of having talent and not having talent.  And the idea that sometimes a coach just gets lucky and all the cards fall in place.   Shall i talk about Gus Malzahn at Auburn and winning the national championship?  Surely you don't think he's the Dawson of College Football now do you?

dubbnation

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

maxswine

He didn't turn it around in one year.  It took him 2 years.  He changed the entire weight program there that had been non existent and changed the offense.  Not that I was on the team, but I probably know better than you (no offense) what he did just from following them a little more closely than you.  And it wasn't luck.  Now, I haven't taken one shot at Greenwood, but I tell ya, you guys are pretty sensitive about last year.  How come the only way someone can beat you is to get lucky?  I'm headed up to watch my team tonight in NW Arkansas and if we get beat, I won't say the other team got lucky.

And I guess I don't understand what you mean about Malzahn winning a national championship at Auburn.  Chizik won one with Gus as the OC.  Not sure what you meant.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: dubbnation on October 13, 2017, 02:10:28 pm
I don't drive. I fly. No lanes needed.  ;)
I know somebody else who has a private jet.  He's famous...lol

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

October 13, 2017, 02:36:21 pm #126 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:59:19 pm by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam
Quote from: maxswine on October 13, 2017, 02:18:22 pm
He didn't turn it around in one year.  It took him 2 years.  He changed the entire weight program there that had been non existent and changed the offense.  Not that I was on the team, but I probably know better than you (no offense) what he did just from following them a little more closely than you.  And it wasn't luck.  Now, I haven't taken one shot at Greenwood, but I tell ya, you guys are pretty sensitive about last year.  How come the only way someone can beat you is to get lucky?  I'm headed up to watch my team tonight in NW Arkansas and if we get beat, I won't say the other team got lucky.

And I guess I don't understand what you mean about Malzahn winning a national championship at Auburn.  Chizik won one with Gus as the OC.  Not sure what you meant.

Sometimes you're Alabama and just dominate people year in and year out.  Sometimes you get a little lucky.  By that i mean you get the right kids in the right spot, you get the breaks in the games that count, and you get a tad lucky.  Greenwood had gotten lucky a few times, in certain games that matter.  Luck is part of the sport.  I've said all along that Russellville was a talented team last year.  They got the breaks they needed and those breaks came at the perfect time.  Most teams, if they were honest, would say luck comes into play sometimes.

My point about Gus is a guy named Cam Newton.  He was fortunate to get him to come to Auburn.  And without him there would be no National Championship team. 

dubbnation

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 09, 2017, 06:52:36 pm

On a personal note, Jeff Weaver is a personal friend of mine as is many of his family. I wish him nothing but success, maybe just not this Friday. He's done a good job everywhere he's went and arguably has left the programs he's been HC at better than when he arrived. Different animal at Russ, following Dawson, but still wish him success.

PR8, what is Weaver's coaching resume? I guess I never heard of him until now.  Just curious as to where he has coached.

Pr8hd

Quote from: 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT on October 13, 2017, 04:13:37 pm
PR8, what is Weaver's coaching resume? I guess I never heard of him until now.  Just curious as to where he has coached.

He was on the Ronnie Peacock, Harv Welch and Rick Jones staff as an assistant @ GW for a long time. First HC gig was at Mena and spent a few years there revamping their program. After that, he left there for LRCA and enjoyed some success as well. Now, he's at Russellville.  So, he's moved up thru the classifications. I think he was a finalist for LH job a few years ago after their long time coach left. 

I know he called a classmate/friend this week and joking said, "You think they (GW) are scared?" I think he knows they have a tough task tonight, but I am sure he will have the Cyclones ready to play.

Here's an article with some insight probably better put together than I could say:

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20171013/football-greenwood-preps-for-reigning-champs-russellville

maxswine

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 13, 2017, 02:36:21 pm
Sometimes you're Alabama and just dominate people year in and year out.  Sometimes you get a little lucky.  By that i mean you get the right kids in the right spot, you get the breaks in the games that count, and you get a tad lucky.  Greenwood had gotten lucky a few times, in certain games that matter.  Luck is part of the sport.  I've said all along that Russellville was a talented team last year.  They got the breaks they needed and those breaks came at the perfect time.  Most teams, if they were honest, would say luck comes into play sometimes.

My point about Gus is a guy named Cam Newton.  He was fortunate to get him to come to Auburn.  And without him there would be no National Championship team.

I will agree with you on all of that.  I don't think Russellville wins without Dawson.  I also don't think they win without their DLine last year, easily the best DLine in school history.  Everything did click last year.  I really did think Dawson would win a state title there, but I didn't think it would happen in year 2. 

I saw Dawson win at Sheridan, Siloam and then Nashville.  But anyone who could do what he did at Sheridan and Siloam, I knew he'd be fine at Russellville. 

Hornet4ever

The Future

Not able to listen to this one. Trying to keep up with it via fearless.
9:10 and I'm pretty sure it's not still halftime.
Any score updates?

Bigfootdogfan

October 13, 2017, 09:46:49 pm #133 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:52:38 pm by Bigfootdogfan
These refs suck, both ways. It has been a flag fest. If any Cyclone fan disagrees with me you are nuts.

Hard to get anything going offensively for eather team when the refs control the flow of the game. I hope Russ QB is ok. Russellville was a very physical team.but a win is a win. Move on.Benton your next in line. GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!

PrivateLesson

Bigfootdogfan

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 12, 2017, 09:01:33 am
Let me explain why Russellville is getting no respect.  Outside of last year's "lighting in a bottle" win at state, here's your record against UofG over the past 5 years.  Are you ready? 

2012   Greenwood  42  Russellville  7
2013   Greenwood  42  Russellville  7
2014   Greenwood  40  Russellville  0
2015   Greenwood  35  Russellville  0
2016   Greenwood  27  Russellville  24
          Greenwood  23  Russellville  37
2017.  Greenwood. 38. Russellville. 13

6 - 1 Record against Russellville   Points:  247 - 88

When those numbers change in Russellville's favor, then and maybe then you might get respect.  End of rant.

I just wanted to fix this for you!!!!!!!!

Oh yes I think Russellville's QB was introduced to Mr Womack. In all seriousness I hope he is ok. Not sure what his injury was. I will say this about Russellville they played hard. Never have seen so many flags in a game. The refs kept both teams from getting into any rythem on off.

Pr8hd

October 14, 2017, 07:09:06 am #136 Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:17:08 am by Pr8hd
Thought Weaver had a good game plan and a little Kevin Kelley approach to the game (on-sides and 4 down mindset). I think was a push all your chips in mentality and try to catch something on the river. , to use a poker analogy. Cyclones played hard and thought their defensive scheme/pressure kept them in the game  esp. considering how many TO's their offense had. Overall, it was a very hard game to get into any real flow on ...too many penalties by both teams esp. GW. Those refs lost control to some degree. Tough break losing the Russ QB, hope he's ok and yes, that play he got hurt on was brutal (Womack showed why he's a reigning state wrestling champ). GW needs to re-focus after back to back subpar performances especially with penalties and just execute. CRJ and staff not going to be real happy even despite the victory margin.

GW has Benton on the road next week in what should be the last real obstacle in the regular season. GW and Benton both are coming off an emotional games. GW has Benton ,Sheridan and LH remaining. Russ has a tough road to hoe with a  road game at AHS, El Dorado, and then Siloam. I don't see them winning out with Siloam being the only likely sure win. Russ could be looking at finishing 4-6, but still be a dangerous team come playoff team if they keep figuring things out. 

ArkansasBoy

The refs were for all GW most of the game they weren't calling the block in the backs or PIs and plus the second int y'all got he didn't catch it are photographer had a picture of it and the ball is in the ground and when Womack slammed are quarterback should have been a flag because the ref blew the whistle but Russ have gave them of the the best games so far this year the refs just sucked and we lost a quarterback!

jeffslilbro

Arkansas boy, were you actually paying attention to the game. Gwd had the most penalties. Whistle had not blown on qb hit. Refs missed some everywhere and called some that didn't happen. Gwd dropped several balls for ints. You got beat.

maxswine

Quote from: jeffslilbro on October 14, 2017, 07:50:59 am
Arkansas boy, were you actually paying attention to the game. Gwd had the most penalties. Whistle had not blown on qb hit. Refs missed some everywhere and called some that didn't happen. Gwd dropped several balls for ints. You got beat.

Didn't see the game, but the stats show that Russellville had 2 more penalties than Greenwood, but Greenwood was penalized 14 more yards.  Good grief, must have been a tough game to watch.

ArkansasBoy

dubbnation

Yeah, it was a tough game to watch. Refs were awful. Mistakes hurt too. Four TO's during crucial times didn't help. Russ didn't back down to the challenge. Proud of the kiddos.

WeRFootball

That slam was brutal..and that was probably the ugliest performance I've watched from the bulldogs.  RHS had several injuries but even with such ugly play the Bulldogs brought home the W. I figure this week will be brutal for the boys after that game.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

October 14, 2017, 09:28:56 am #143 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:02:10 pm by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

38-13!!   Booya!

ArkansasBoy

Russ still played better then anyone thought they would!

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

October 14, 2017, 10:16:08 am #145 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:02:27 pm by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam
Quote from: ArkansasBoy on October 14, 2017, 09:35:49 am
Russ still played better then anyone thought they would!

38-13.  Not close.

Pr8hd

October 14, 2017, 11:02:43 am #146 Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:49:48 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: ArkansasBoy on October 14, 2017, 09:01:15 am
Still shouldn't have slammed him

Well, they weren't playing two below and what's he going to do with him after he picks him up and there's no whistle? Hate the kid got hurt, but football is a physical game. If the whistle had blown and THEN he slammed to turf, then he should have been flagged. Womack got a horse collar called on him early in the game that was more just a manhandling as well. Russ is a decent team, but they are not what they were last year, which was a really good team.

I see losses to AHS and ED then a win against Siloam likely for Russ. So, 4-6 overall with a 3-4 conference record may not be the resume or epitome of a dangerous team, but they could create a little noise come playoffs since records mean nothing at that point when the seeding is done and everyone is 0-0. They are defending champs till someone beats them out of the playoffs. I don't see them defending their title in the championship game though .   

bulldogger15

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 14, 2017, 10:16:08 am
You got punished!   38-13.  Not close.  How about you man up and give our boys some credit.  Aren't you the one crying about not getting respect?   Greenwood, led by John Womack, showed you what the term "physical" means.  Now stop crying.  Russellville is average this year.  #10 is by far the best option you have for QB.  Stick with him and you might make the playoffs!
+1  I don't know who held more last night, the Russellville offensive line or their d-backs?

Someone (Pr8hd) needs to let Coach Weaver know that current rules only allow for three time-outs per half, not four. Rookie coaching mistake that will probably be blamed on the players....

Womack is a MONSTER!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Pr8hd

Coach Weaver doesn't need to be told anything by me, he's got far more coaching experience than me. It would be like him telling me how to code some SQL. Pretty sure, he's got it under control and just got lost in the moment esp. since they had to use a way early timeout. GW's own radio crew had some confusion on whether he had any left. Certainly did not have any bearing on the outcome of the game. Irrelevant.

Jeep71

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas