• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenwood Bulldogs vs Sands Springs Sandites (Replacing Alma Airedales)

Started by bulldogger15, September 21, 2017, 05:36:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Baitshop

Ok, my last comment on the subject (or close to the last ???). I'm headed up in the press box tonite, and I drop by the first floor where there are an assortment of media guys (actually more than I thought would be there to cover a SS/NLR game) and a guy says to me "hey, you're an old GW guy, do you know who they picked up to replace Alma". Well, I thought it was a trick question and that he surely already knew that the UofG was playing another patsy from Oklahoma. So I said, "yeah, they're playing some Sand Flea team from around Tulsa". Sooo, he says that they (GW) called Sand Springs because they had gotten quickly turned down when they made a "feeling out" call to MULDROW and ROLAND for a home and away series. I said BS, I don't believe that and asked who he heard that from, and he covers some of Oklahoma and said that he heard it from coaches at both schools....

Now, we all know that I am a closet GW alum and root for the ol' alma mater when my Rebels/Mavericks are not involved, but I need some of you current blue koolaid chuggers to tell me that you know for a fact that the UofG ain't even making back channel contact with Muldrow and/or Roland to play a friggin' football game with. Hail, I'm gonna have to turn my GHS diploma that I have hangin' in the entry way of my doublewide backwards if this is remotely true!!

"Dear baby Jesus, with your bedazzled players' Momma jersey and your Daddy Gladiator Walk eye black, don't let this be true."

Somebody tell me this ol' boy was lying thru his Oklahoma yellow teeth..??..!! SOMEBODY gotta know?? :'(

Pr8hd

Quote from: Baitshop on October 06, 2017, 10:26:20 pm
Ok, my last comment on the subject (or close to the last ???). I'm headed up in the press box tonite, and I drop by the first floor where there are an assortment of media guys (actually more than I thought would be there to cover a SS/NLR game) and a guy says to me "hey, you're an old GW guy, do you know who they picked up to replace Alma". Well, I thought it was a trick question and that he surely already knew that the UofG was playing another patsy from Oklahoma. So I said, "yeah, they're playing some Sand Flea team from around Tulsa". Sooo, he says that they (GW) called Sand Springs because they had gotten quickly turned down when they made a "feeling out" call to MULDROW and ROLAND for a home and away series. I said BS, I don't believe that and asked who he heard that from, and he covers some of Oklahoma and said that he heard it from coaches at both schools....

Now, we all know that I am a closet GW alum and root for the ol' alma mater when my Rebels/Mavericks are not involved, but I need some of you current blue koolaid chuggers to tell me that you know for a fact that the UofG ain't even making back channel contact with Muldrow and/or Roland to play a friggin' football game with. Hail, I'm gonna have to turn my GHS diploma that I have hangin' in the entry way of my doublewide backwards if this is remotely true!!

"Dear baby Jesus, with your bedazzled players' Momma jersey and your Daddy Gladiator Walk eye black, don't let this be true."

Somebody tell me this ol' boy was lying thru his Oklahoma yellow teeth..??..!! SOMEBODY gotta know?? :'(

My gut says that is BS. Roland and Muldrow have done nothing on the OK scene and are smaller schools than GW. Sallisaw and Poteau, former GW opponents, as you know are more formidable in OK football. It doesn't sound like Sand Springs is any more so than that, but I know there was talk in 2014 that we would pickup a Tulsa area opponent before they got Springdale. I really just think CRJ has a soft spot for OK football, since he spent so much time there.

Personally, I hate it. We play in basically an all Oklahoma, (It includes Vian, Warner, Spiro, Poteau, Stigler, Eufaula, Checotah, Sallisaw and the lone AR teams - 2 GW teams and FSC)  little league bi-state team with my youngest, and it's a joke. Literally, feels like we joined the SWC/Big 8 We hate it and would rather be playing local teams or NWA teams.  I think a lot of the parents think that. I'd rather spend my $8 for admission in AR and not drive so far.  Last weekend we went all the way to Eufaula to play....a little excessive when there are plenty of area teams closer. They don't ask me to make the schedule though anymore than CRJ does in the end. Although I doubt it (because I think he continues coaching for awhile), but maybe he's getting the schedule prepped to exit stage right. Lord knows, his successor is going to have huge shoes to fill. 

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 07, 2017, 07:11:35 am
My gut says that is BS. Roland and Muldrow have done nothing on the OK scene and are smaller schools than GW. Sallisaw and Poteau, former GW opponents, as you know are more formidable in OK football. It doesn't sound like Sand Springs is any more so than that, but I know there was talk in 2014 that we would pickup a Tulsa area opponent before they got Springdale. I really just think CRJ has a soft spot for OK football, since he spent so much time there.

Personally, I hate it. We play in basically an all Oklahoma, (It includes Vian, Warner, Spiro, Poteau, Stigler, Eufaula, Checotah, Sallisaw and the lone AR teams - 2 GW teams and FSC)  little league bi-state team with my youngest, and it's a joke. Literally, feels like we joined the SWC/Big 8 We hate it and would rather be playing local teams or NWA teams.  I think a lot of the parents think that. I'd rather spend my $8 for admission in AR and not drive so far.  Last weekend we went all the way to Eufaula to play....a little excessive when there are plenty of area teams closer. They don't ask me to make the schedule though anymore than CRJ does in the end. Although I doubt i because I think he continues coaching for awhile, maybe he's getting the schedule prepped to exit stage right. Lord knows, his successor is going to have huge shoes to fill. 

While his successor will have huge shoes to fill....I don't see Coach Jones purposefully scheduling teams in Oklahoma in order for whoever steps in to win??   He has more faith in the ability of his players and program he has built for years...IMO.   If I misunderstood your statement, my apologies. 

High Voltage

I have zero knowledge of who Rick calls to make out his non conference schedule. But I do have this to offer. I am pretty well connected to a couple of people who know Rick pretty well. I will ask and get back to you. Also I would like to add that the local newspaper people, and TV for that fact in this area are horrible. The Times Record is a joke and nothing more than something people could wipe their butt with. Now,did Greenwood maybe call their Jr high's to play? Possibly! Also, and think very hard about this, why would Greenwood call Roland or Muldrow for a non conference game when they are scheduling NS, SS and before Alma? Two 7A schools and a 5A school that has been a rivalry game for years. Rick has always scheduled bigger or schools close to the same size with the exception of Lift for Life and my understanding was he knew that coach who was trying to get that program going and done him a favor.

But who knows,maybe Rick was trying to schedule Roland and Muldrow for "EASY" noncon wins! I mean the last 10 years he has struggled so much winning and all! ::)

Baitshop

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 07, 2017, 07:11:35 am

Personally, I hate it. We play in basically an all Oklahoma, (It includes Vian, Warner, Spiro, Poteau, Stigler, Eufaula, Checotah, Sallisaw and the lone AR teams - 2 GW teams and FSC)  little league bi-state team with my youngest, and it's a joke. Literally, feels like we joined the SWC/Big 8 We hate it and would rather be playing local teams or NWA teams.  I think a lot of the parents think that. I'd rather spend my $8 for admission in AR and not drive so far.  Last weekend we went all the way to Eufaula to play....a little excessive when there are plenty of area teams closer. They don't ask me to make the schedule though anymore than CRJ does in the end. Although I doubt i because I think he continues coaching for awhile, maybe he's getting the schedule prepped to exit stage right. Lord knows, his successor is going to have huge shoes to fill. 

I guess that, as I have said all along, GW seems to enjoy playing folks that they feel comfortable about their ability to win against. When this guy sprung this on me last nite and said that he had spoken to coaches at both schools that confirmed what he was saying, I'll be honest with you, I was shocked at how right I may actually have been. Greenwood is too good of a program to not be willing to step out and schedule someone that will really put them to the test. (Lord knows, the FS schools haven't been doing that lately)

I am hoping that this is some kind of ruse, and certainly CRJ doesn't give 2 shites about what any of us think about his scheduling decisions. But the truth is that there are formidable opponents that GW could schedule within a 2 1/2 hour radius that might/would give them a better test. And certainly I have said this with a little bait on the hook, but could the UofG getting really pushed (even a loss) in the non-con season make them better prepared as they get deep in the playoffs? IF I were a non-closeted GW fan I would be looking for answers why, over the past 4 years, we have seemed to have lost or Championship Game mojo? The first PB game, my opinion is that they were just better than you. But I though that the 2nd loss to PB and the Eldo game that you had a slight advantage in talent. Now, the Russvegas game last year....somebody got some 'splainin' to do on that one.

In regards to your baseball situation, when my son was around your youngest's age, we played in a fall league in Fayetteville that had multiple teams from all of the 4 cities in the I-540 corridor. We would go up once a week and play a doubleheader and played about 20 games. I am like you, I don't go to Oklahoma unless I absolutely have to.

High Voltage

Yes, Greenwood consulted Muldrow about a home and home series. Greenwood was having trouble finding an opponent that fit the 3rd week due to scheduling conflicts. They did not ask Roland. Sands Springs will only be a two year deal.

Evidently Alma was going back and forth as to whether or not to pull out and that left Greenwood with little time to find an opponent. My little birdie told me that "some" Alma faithful, Board Members and Admin did not want out of this series and that in the end it was a pretty heated debate.

Baitshop

Quote from: High Voltage on October 08, 2017, 10:51:49 am
Yes, Greenwood consulted Muldrow about a home and home series. Greenwood was having trouble finding an opponent that fit the 3rd week due to scheduling conflicts. They did not ask Roland. Sands Springs will only be a two year deal.

Evidently Alma was going back and forth as to whether or not to pull out and that left Greenwood with little time to find an opponent. My little birdie told me that "some" Alma faithful, Board Members and Admin did not want out of this series and that in the end it was a pretty heated debate.

Southside, I assure you, would be thrilled to move to Week 3...another week to get things settled down before GW week would be really nice.

On a side note, I heard a faint chirping of a rumor that HarBer may be looking to replace Southside in the next cycle....

jeffslilbro

Apparently fss needs more than 3 weeks to get "things" settled down. They are TERRIBLE.

Baitshop

High Voltage

Quote from: Baitshop on October 08, 2017, 12:54:56 pm
Southside, I assure you, would be thrilled to move to Week 3...another week to get things settled down before GW week would be really nice.

On a side note, I heard a faint chirping of a rumor that HarBer may be looking to replace Southside in the next cycle....
Haven't heard that one.

bulldogger15

Bigfootdogfan

Maybe SS and the Arkansas Razorbacks should play, they are both TERRIBLE !!!!!

bulldogger15

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Baitshop on October 08, 2017, 12:54:56 pm

It's week 7.  Has Southside gotten things "settled down" yet?  :)   If GW played SS this week, the Mavs would be Mercy Ruled before getting off the bus!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas