• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can PA win four in a row?

Started by PA Dad, August 05, 2017, 08:52:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

I asked last year if PA could win three in a row and the responses were mixed.

I think there will be strong challenges to PA this year.  Wynne and Batesville from the East, Alma, Morrilton and Harrison from the West, Watson Chapel and White Hall from the South , and LRCA and Sylvan Hills from the Central all have the potential to upset PA this year.

But, I like PA's odds.  They return 10 or 11 starters.  Their scheme is very hard to defend.  Their defense is often overlooked but it is very good.  We'll see how much the loss of Coach Wood affects the defense this year, but I expect it will still be good.

I give PA a 75% chance of a fourpeat. 

Overdahill

JessieP

I would think this year may be their easiest of the 4. In that offensive scheme having a 2 year starter at qb returning is gold. The thing that strikes me is how PA's defense is so overlooked. They play flawlessly and they are not overly physical. They are smart and disciplined, they make adjustments and stay in their lanes. For all the media attention the high flying offense gets people miss how efficient that defense is. Let's face it, the majority of teams have figured out the onside kick thing, Batesville recovered every single one and it still didn't matter. I honestly thought Wynne would be tough to beat, wrong. PA toyed with them effortlessly, that was impressive. In fact the Championship seemed to be the easiest win in the playoffs for them. All things considered this year looks to be a battle for runner up.   

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on August 05, 2017, 09:49:39 pm
I would think this year may be their easiest of the 4. In that offensive scheme having a 2 year starter at qb returning is gold. The thing that strikes me is how PA's defense is so overlooked. They play flawlessly and they are not overly physical. They are smart and disciplined, they make adjustments and stay in their lanes. For all the media attention the high flying offense gets people miss how efficient that defense is. Let's face it, the majority of teams have figured out the onside kick thing, Batesville recovered every single one and it still didn't matter. I honestly thought Wynne would be tough to beat, wrong. PA toyed with them effortlessly, that was impressive. In fact the Championship seemed to be the easiest win in the playoffs for them. All things considered this year looks to be a battle for runner up.

I hope that saying this year is the easiest isn't the kiss of death.  Some team will knock PA off its perch - I just hope it's not this year.

Maynard G Krebs

It'll be tough to do, but I'm all "four" it! 😃

The Future

The coveted 4peat has slipped through the fingers of some great teams over the years. It will be quite an accomplishment for the Bruins if they can get it done.

But as I posted in my way too early 2017 prediction, the 5A champ will not be from the Central.
You heard it from me first.

walkingguy72396

Every year I think this so pay it no mind.  No way is PA going to be as good this year as they were last year.

Intelligentsia

August 06, 2017, 10:35:45 am #7 Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:37:47 am by Intelligentsia
Odds are they will win again.  They will continue to win in Arkansas until they face a team with a 2012-like Pioneer offensive line that can allow their team to dominate time of possession and score on nearly every possession.  Of course that year Batesville had a defense that kept the Bruin QB so confused he forgot Hunter Henry was even on his team.

PA Dad

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on August 06, 2017, 10:07:20 am
Every year I think this so pay it no mind.  No way is PA going to be as good this year as they were last year.

I agree with you.  I think the same thing every year.

PA Dad

Quote from: The Future on August 06, 2017, 09:58:12 am
The coveted 4peat has slipped through the fingers of some great teams over the years. It will be quite an accomplishment for the Bruins if they can get it done.

But as I posted in my way too early 2017 prediction, the 5A champ will not be from the Central.
You heard it from me first.

You may be right.  It's time for someone to dethrone PA.  But does your crystal ball tell you who that will be?  We all want to know!

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: PA Dad on August 06, 2017, 11:04:18 am
I agree with you.  I think the same thing every year.
I do too. Last years team was a little smoke and mirrors IMO. One of the staff's best coaching job.

Lumberjackfan1978

PA will be hard to beat.I think they win it again

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PA Dad on August 05, 2017, 08:52:16 pm
We'll see how much the loss of Coach Wood affects the defense this year, but I expect it will still be good.

This could be the fly in the ointment for PA.  The offense will get its points, but losing a good DC will have an effect.  How much so remains to be seen.

Now someone needs to pull a reverse jinx and talk about how PA will mercy rule every opponent and will not be challenged all year.  It can't be me though - my predictions, even the reverse jinxes, tend to blow up in my face.  If I say it, it will happen.  If I say something similar for Maumelle, well go back and read the Maumelle vs. Neville posts.  That didn't turn out too well.

BM22

PA should win it all again this year. Would not be surprised at all if Parkway were to beat them, but they should run through the conference and playoffs unscathed on their way to a fourpeat.

Overdahill

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on August 07, 2017, 10:57:33 am
This could be the fly in the ointment for PA.  The offense will get its points, but losing a good DC will have an effect.  How much so remains to be seen.

Now someone needs to pull a reverse jinx and talk about how PA will mercy rule every opponent and will not be challenged all year.  It can't be me though - my predictions, even the reverse jinxes, tend to blow up in my face.  If I say it, it will happen.  If I say something similar for Maumelle, well go back and read the Maumelle vs. Neville posts.  That didn't turn out too well.

Speaking of Maumelle how is the Donnerson kid doing at the next level? he definitely had some talent

Chief_Osceola™

August 07, 2017, 04:14:40 pm #15 Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:25:55 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: Overdahill on August 07, 2017, 03:55:54 pm
Speaking of Maumelle how is the Donnerson kid doing at the next level? he definitely had some talent

Honestly I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find out though. The kid was unblockable when he wanted to be. Most teams just quit running to his side of the field.

Edit: Here you go - http://www.gosoutheast.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7945

Looks like he's had a good career at SE Missouri so far.

pinebluffzebra09

If chapel can put the right pieces every where on the field, I believe they have a legit shot to shock the 5A

Overdahill

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on August 07, 2017, 04:14:40 pm
Honestly I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find out though. The kid was unblockable when he wanted to be. Most teams just quit running to his side of the field.

Edit: Here you go - http://www.gosoutheast.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7945

Looks like he's had a good career at SE Missouri so far.

wow, nice. he looked way taller than 6'2" to me on the football field and B Ball court

AT

I was looking at the record book and it seems only the old LR Central teams and the Barton dynasty teams ever have done 4 or more in a row. Greenwood has been stopped at three two different times.

We'll see if PA does it this year.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Overdahill on August 07, 2017, 05:05:54 pm
wow, nice. he looked way taller than 6'2" to me on the football field and B Ball court

I'm pretty sure he's at least 6'4". I'm not sure where they get the 6'2" measurement.

Youngsta71701

Can PA win four in a row? They can, but will they...Hmmm. If I was a betting man I would bet on it.

JessieP

August 11, 2017, 06:30:42 pm #21 Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:33:42 pm by JessieP
I have spent the past few day's looking into this topic. I have studied hours of film, read numerous articles and invested a good amount of time watching PA and other teams practice. I think I have stumbled onto a sure fire formula to beat PA and end their reign atop the rankings. It's actually quite simple, all you have to do is have more points then they do when the 4th quarter ends. What's the big deal?

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on August 11, 2017, 06:30:42 pm
I have spent the past few day's looking into this topic. I have studied hours of film, read numerous articles and invested a good amount of time watching PA and other teams practice. I think I have stumbled onto a sure fire formula to beat PA and end their reign atop the rankings. It's actually quite simple, all you have to do is have more points then they do when the 4th quarter ends. What's the big deal?

Dang, that's brilliant.  I can't understand why no one has figured that out before now.

Yellowcake

Many lost starters on defense. Inexperience and the loss of a great DC. And the huge loss on O is the next great running back is not playing his senior year. He received a top notch opportunity to pursue his dream to be a dancer, and that is his focus his senior year. No football. It's a big loss, but a wonderful opportunity for the kid. Good for him.

Bruin Backer

I believe that the analysis of PA by JessieP on another thread was very insightful. In general, successful teams in any sport try to maximize on what they do well, and minimize the impact of what the other team does well. On offense, the PA philosophy is that whatever the defense does will be wrong. If you play the run, they will pass. If you cover deep, they throw short. If you cover short, or try to play bump and run, they will throw deep. Commit everyone to pass coverage, and they will run draw plays up the middle.

On defense, Coach Woods was the master of taking away the other team's strength. If a team was good at running between the tackles, PA would do everything it could to stop the run, knowing that it might make them weaker against the pass. There was always a trade-off involved, e.g., you might beat us passing, but you won't beat us running up the middle. This works until the other team is better at running the ball up the middle than PA is at stopping the run. There will invariably be a team that is so big, and so talented, that PA is unable to stop the run, or the pass, even when they have designed a game plan to specifically address the other team's strength. The PA defense has always been impacted by the other team's size and speed.

This year, there are two areas of concern. On defense, they must find a replacement for Henry in the secondary. If they can't defend against the pass, then they won't be as able to stack the line to stop the good running teams. On offense, the success of the passing game is dependent on having a running back that can make the other team pay when they drop seven or more players to defend against the pass. If these areas of concern prove to be as capable as the teams of the past three years, then PA has an excellent chance of another title. As the old cliche says, time will tell.

JessieP

Quote from: Bruin Backer on August 14, 2017, 04:48:18 pm
I believe that the analysis of PA by JessieP on another thread was very insightful. In general, successful teams in any sport try to maximize on what they do well, and minimize the impact of what the other team does well. On offense, the PA philosophy is that whatever the defense does will be wrong. If you play the run, they will pass. If you cover deep, they throw short. If you cover short, or try to play bump and run, they will throw deep. Commit everyone to pass coverage, and they will run draw plays up the middle.

On defense, Coach Woods was the master of taking away the other team's strength. If a team was good at running between the tackles, PA would do everything it could to stop the run, knowing that it might make them weaker against the pass. There was always a trade-off involved, e.g., you might beat us passing, but you won't beat us running up the middle. This works until the other team is better at running the ball up the middle than PA is at stopping the run. There will invariably be a team that is so big, and so talented, that PA is unable to stop the run, or the pass, even when they have designed a game plan to specifically address the other team's strength. The PA defense has always been impacted by the other team's size and speed.

This year, there are two areas of concern. On defense, they must find a replacement for Henry in the secondary. If they can't defend against the pass, then they won't be as able to stack the line to stop the good running teams. On offense, the success of the passing game is dependent on having a running back that can make the other team pay when they drop seven or more players to defend against the pass. If these areas of concern prove to be as capable as the teams of the past three years, then PA has an excellent chance of another title. As the old cliche says, time will tell.

Thank you for the kind words. I have always given PA their proper respect for what they do on Friday nights. My only issue has been off field issue's. PA will adjust from team to team, the adjust during the game. What PA doesn't do is line up and cram the ball down your throat. I think it was PA Dad who pointed out that when Batesville beat them they out hit them and didn't make mistakes. Turnovers and miscues are blood in the water to PA. In the loss Batesville had one drive for a touchdown that took 6 minutes. That is cryptonite to PA. Slow grinding drives are the key to victory. Keep that high powered offense on the bench.

If anyone, outside of Parkview, is going to beat PA this year it will be one of the 3 5A teams who have done it before. Granted it's a longshot but it is possible. The PA legend has grown to the point that they intimidate most teams. The teams that have beat them know it's possible.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Yellowcake on August 13, 2017, 09:50:47 pm
Many lost starters on defense. Inexperience and the loss of a great DC. And the huge loss on O is the next great running back is not playing his senior year. He received a top notch opportunity to pursue his dream to be a dancer, and that is his focus his senior year. No football. It's a big loss, but a wonderful opportunity for the kid. Good for him.
They lost their DC? Whoa, this should be interesting. I always thought he was underrated.

Bruin Backer

Quote from: JessieP on August 14, 2017, 08:44:22 pm
PA will adjust from team to team, the adjust during the game.

What JessieP pointed out is true for PA, and every other successful team. For each opponent, the game plan is based on an "if this, then that" approach. If the other team does exactly what was expected, then following the game plan will be successful...unless the other team simply executes its game plan better, e.g., Batesville. What is too often overlooked, but noted by JessieP, is the ability to adjust during the game when the other team doesn't do exactly what was expected.

If you look at the PA offense, Coach Kelley will often not signal in the play until he sees what defensive formation the other team is in, or will quickly change the play when the defensive formation makes a different play more viable. For most passing plays, the receivers have several options on the route they run...depending on what the secondary does. Most good college and pro teams do this, but few high schools are able to do so. This is why you hear about teams trying to "disguise" coverages. The idea is to have the offensive run a play that is good against one coverage scheme, but not so good against the scheme that the defensive actually runs.
Unfortunately for most PA opponents, being able to effectively disguise coverages is not a skill set they have, and trying to put in such a scheme in the week prior to a game against PA often leads to mistakes in execution that get you beat.

JessieP

What many people on this thread, and many others, have pointed out, a point that is overlooked, is that PA and Batesville win so consistently because of great coaching. For all the onside kick, going for it on 4th down, smash mouth running game, high powered passing game, physical defense talk and all the other reason given at the end of the day that's incidental. Both schools have outstanding coaches. You could credit it for great "recruited" players if it was a 3 year blip. That can not explain why year after year when the 5A is down to four teams those 2 are always there. We often forget that these are high school kids, they need coaching. A constant turn over in coaches is major. Wynne may have the top level of talent this year but a new head coach is a big deal. It's a big deal in the NFL it's a massive deal in high school. Although the talent is there Wynne has by far the biggest question mark in the 5A. Kelley and King have been coaching most of their players since the 7th grade. The players know the system, they know the expectations and they know how to win.

Rick Swines

Not to mention wynne had a ton of turnover in the assistant coaches as well.  They have an entire new defensive staff.  That's tough to overcome for anyone. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Rick Swines on August 16, 2017, 09:17:35 am
Not to mention wynne had a ton of turnover in the assistant coaches as well.  They have an entire new defensive staff.  That's tough to overcome for anyone.
Talent can overcome a lot of things. The only thing is will it overcome a teams coaching that is just as talented or just a little less talented.

Lumberjackfan1978

PA will be hard to dethrone. I don't think anyone in 5A can beat them this year

Yellowcake

Quote from: JessieP on August 15, 2017, 01:46:25 pm
What many people on this thread, and many others, have pointed out, a point that is overlooked, is that PA and Batesville win so consistently because of great coaching. For all the onside kick, going for it on 4th down, smash mouth running game, high powered passing game, physical defense talk and all the other reason given at the end of the day that's incidental. Both schools have outstanding coaches. You could credit it for great "recruited" players if it was a 3 year blip. That can not explain why year after year when the 5A is down to four teams those 2 are always there. We often forget that these are high school kids, they need coaching. A constant turn over in coaches is major. Wynne may have the top level of talent this year but a new head coach is a big deal. It's a big deal in the NFL it's a massive deal in high school. Although the talent is there Wynne has by far the biggest question mark in the 5A. Kelley and King have been coaching most of their players since the 7th grade. The players know the system, they know the expectations and they know how to win.

I approve of this message. Spot on, in my humble opinion. PA may have the least size and speed of all three teams that preceded this one, and I once again scratch my head how they will get to the end. I always underestimate what this staff can do with the kids. But they coach the heck out of them. And work them like dogs.
I hope Batesville, winner, Alma and Morrilton all have great years, and I'd like to see some new faces get to postseason along with them. Sylvan Hills may spring a surprise.

Steve Perry 2.11

Overdahill

P.F.G.

PA Dad

I watched the first half of the PA-Bryant scrimmage tonight.  I know it's just a scrimmage but here is my initial evaluation of PA.

Defense.  Defense was my biggest concern with PA this year with the loss of Coach Wood.  My concerns were overblown.  The defense looked great, especially the defensive line.  The line/linebackers sacked the Bryant quarterback several times.  When they didn't sack him they were in his face harassing him.  And they shut down the running game.  I doubt that Bryant had 50 yards rushing.

Pass defense was not as good.  The defense allowed a number of completions and Bryant's scores came off of the passing game. 

The defense is fast, closes quickly on the ball and is not afraid of a hard hit.

Offense.  Very solid at quarterback.  Hatcher is just good.  He was a little off on several passes but he will get better with more games.

The running game is questionable.  PA has no back to replace Jarren Watkins.  Kelley played 5 or 6 running backs.  Some showed promise- some did not.  I think this position is wide open but I was not impressed with the running game tonight.

The offensive line will be good but did not look that good tonight.  Bryant got pressure on the quarterback several times.  There were no big holes for the running backs.  But the o-line always develops slowly and turns out well.  I expect the same this year.

I do not think PA has the speed at receiver they have had in the past.  Kelley did not try to stretch the field.  I didn't see a reciever who could just outrun the coverage, but then I didn't see a play designed to do so.

Based on what I saw tonight, this is a typical PA team.  Small, but fast and disciplined.  I think they have a pretty good chance to fourpeat.

At the end of three quarters PA led 42-24.  The JV's played the last quarter.

Central AR

Quote from: PA Dad on August 22, 2017, 10:01:26 pm
I watched the first half of the PA-Bryant scrimmage tonight.  I know it's just a scrimmage but here is my initial evaluation of PA.

Defense.  Defense was my biggest concern with PA this year with the loss of Coach Wood.  My concerns were overblown.  The defense looked great, especially the defensive line.  The line/linebackers sacked the Bryant quarterback several times.  When they didn't sack him they were in his face harassing him.  And they shut down the running game.  I doubt that Bryant had 50 yards rushing.

Pass defense was not as good.  The defense allowed a number of completions and Bryant's scores came off of the passing game. 

The defense is fast, closes quickly on the ball and is not afraid of a hard hit.

Offense.  Very solid at quarterback.  Hatcher is just good.  He was a little off on several passes but he will get better with more games.

The running game is questionable.  PA has no back to replace Jarren Watkins.  Kelley played 5 or 6 running backs.  Some showed promise- some did not.  I think this position is wide open but I was not impressed with the running game tonight.

The offensive line will be good but did not look that good tonight.  Bryant got pressure on the quarterback several times.  There were no big holes for the running backs.  But the o-line always develops slowly and turns out well.  I expect the same this year.

I do not think PA has the speed at receiver they have had in the past.  Kelley did not try to stretch the field.  I didn't see a reciever who could just outrun the coverage, but then I didn't see a play designed to do so.

Based on what I saw tonight, this is a typical PA team.  Small, but fast and disciplined.  I think they have a pretty good chance to fourpeat.

At the end of three quarters PA led 42-24.  The JV's played the last quarter.

Benefit game or not, to be leading by 18 through 3 quarters at Bryant is pretty impressive. Not sure if any 5A school could have made that happen. Tra Johnson also has impressive speed at receiver so that's at least one receiver who can beat dbs deep. Not sure he's getting 10+ offers unless he can do that.

STBruin

Quote from: Central AR on August 22, 2017, 11:29:01 pm
Benefit game or not, to be leading by 18 through 3 quarters at Bryant is pretty impressive. Not sure if any 5A school could have made that happen. Tra Johnson also has impressive speed at receiver so that's at least one receiver who can beat dbs deep. Not sure he's getting 10+ offers unless he can do that.

They have some speed at the WR position, Bryant played 2 deep all night and was dropping CBs as well. Vail from Bryant is a good, smart safety and was not going to give up a pass over the top. Tra isnt close to being the fastest WR on the team, so there is some speed there.  With that said, Hatcher threw for 500 yds in 3 qtrs. And I do agree with you on the 18 point spread vs one of the preseason top 5 teams in 7A, that is impressive.

Hornet-Hawg

Quote from: STBruin on August 23, 2017, 12:46:04 pm
They have some speed at the WR position, Bryant played 2 deep all night and was dropping CBs as well. Vail from Bryant is a good, smart safety and was not going to give up a pass over the top. Tra isnt close to being the fastest WR on the team, so there is some speed there.  With that said, Hatcher threw for 500 yds in 3 qtrs. And I do agree with you on the 18 point spread vs one of the preseason top 5 teams in 7A, that is impressive.

Bryant played their 2s on offense and defense against PA 1s for a series in the 2nd quarter.  PA (1s) 35 - Bryant (1s) 24 is still impressive, though.

Unofficial stats from Bryant Daily:

Total yards:  PA 474 - Bryant 411
Hatcher 22-43 for 323
Hefley 21-38 for 301
TURNOVERS Bryant 3 - PA 0 

Unfortunately we led the wrong category.  I'm sure we won the battle for most penalty yards too.  At least it was better than last year and resembled a football game.  Hopefully Bryant will clean things up and be OK.  PA will be tough to beat.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on August 15, 2017, 01:46:25 pm

Jessie, you and I don't always agree, but you're absolutely right on this point.  If you look at winning programs they have one thing in common - great coaches.  Batesville, PA, Greenwood, Barton in their prime, Central in its prime, and any other successful program have all had great coaches.  I've stressed this point for years but many disagree with me.  But if you look at history it's just an indisputable fact.

Ventman

7AFBFAN

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas