• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dollarway to play at home

Started by goldoline, July 14, 2017, 07:18:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

goldoline

Dollarway will play 5 home games this year.  The bleachers have been painted.  The field is receiving a sprinkler system and new grass.  Pressbox can allow folks who weigh 200+, new lights will be installed and home locker room is improved. 

bearbacker52

What has happened to dollarway over the years, is that another failed district?

GuvHog

Quote from: bearbacker52 on July 16, 2017, 09:39:48 am

Financially, they've been living on borrowed time for years. That district should have been shut down years ago and split up between WC and White Hall.

beach bum

July 16, 2017, 11:13:39 am #3 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:19:40 am by beach bum
Quote from: bearbacker52 on July 16, 2017, 09:39:48 am

It's called the realities of life.... When you aren't pumping tax revenue in as a city because of the median income of the people there it is simple that you won't be able to improve the city and schools. People don't like to hear this, but that is why the federal government and mostly the state government must be involved in education along with the local municipalities. It's not a kids fault for what life his parents are living and how fair is it if they are never getting improvements to their school like little Timmy in Bentonville or west Little Rock. Education is still a public entity where people should be given the same chance in public schools no matter your parents choices. If education was solely the local cities responsibility some kids would probably going to school in a run down factory after a while because they wouldn't have enough tax revenue from its citizens to support their own schools and we would see this massive contrast in the haves and have nots. That is fine for adults but not kids in our education system. Adults make their own choices and kids have to live with those adults decisions regardless if they are good or bad. I'll always support policies that give all kids a chance at a better quality of life.

GuvHog

Quote from: beach bum on July 16, 2017, 11:13:39 am
It's called the realities of life.... When you aren't pumping tax revenue in as a city because of the median income of the people there it is simple that you won't be able to improve the city and schools. People don't like to hear this, but that is why the federal government and mostly the state government must be involved in education along with the local municipalities. It's not a kids fault for what life his parents are living and how fair is it if they are never getting improvements to their school like little Timmy in Bentonville or west Little Rock. Education is still a public entity where people should be given the same chance in public schools no matter your parents choices. If education was solely the local cities responsibility some kids would probably going to school in a run down factory after a while because they wouldn't have enough tax revenue from its citizens to support their own schools and we would see this massive contrast in the haves and have nots. That is fine for adults but not kids in our education system. Adults make their own choices and kids have to live with those adults decisions regardless if they are good or bad. I'll always support policies that give all kids a chance at a better quality of life.

The Federal Government shouldn't be involved at all. Only the State and Local Governments should be involved.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: GuvHog on July 16, 2017, 01:26:37 pm
The Federal Government shouldn't be involved at all. Only the State and Local Governments should be involved.
Did you stand with Orval Faubus?

GuvHog

Quote from: Oldman on July 16, 2017, 02:48:20 pm
Did you stand with Orval Faubus?

Not on segregation, no. These days we have "School Choice" so the kids can pretty well go wherever they want to anyway.

cuckoobird

Quote from: GuvHog on July 16, 2017, 05:00:29 pm
Not on segregation, no. These days we have "School Choice" so the kids can pretty well go wherever they want to anyway.
only if they can afford to travel there. A WC bus isn't venturing into downtown dollarway to pick up a couple kids.

GuvHog

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 17, 2017, 08:11:04 am
only if they can afford to travel there. A WC bus isn't venturing into downtown dollarway to pick up a couple kids.

It would be more than a couple of kids.

cuckoobird

Regardless of the number, when using school choice, transportation is on the kids/parents dime

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 17, 2017, 11:21:55 am
Regardless of the number, when using school choice, transportation is on the kids/parents dime

That is correct.

On the school choice form, it clearly states in a nice way. By signing this, you are agreeing that your crap out of luck if you need bussing.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 17, 2017, 11:21:55 am
Facts have no place on this thread sir.

GuvHog

Quote from: AirWarren on July 17, 2017, 11:31:18 am
That is correct.

On the school choice form, it clearly states in a nice way. By signing this, you are agreeing that your crap out of luck if you need bussing.

Agreed, if a student wants to attend a school but does not live in that school district, transportation would be on his parents dime.

If Dollarway was closed, then White Hall's and Watson Chapel's district boundary lines would be redrawn to encompass the old Dollarway school district area.

cuckoobird

You used school choice as your argument therefore you can't backtrack and act like your argument is dollarway closing its doors.

GuvHog

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 17, 2017, 12:03:57 pm
You used school choice as your argument therefore you can't backtrack and act like your argument is dollarway closing its doors.

That's been my argument all along. Dollarway should have been shut down years ago and district split between WC and White Hall.

cuckoobird

Then half the kids would use school choice and choose whitehall. Why would you want to put a bigger financial burden on someone?

GuvHog

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 17, 2017, 12:11:12 pm
Then half the kids would use school choice and choose whitehall. Why would you want to put a bigger financial burden on someone?

That would be up to the students and their parents. If they choose to do that then they are putting the bigger burden on themselves.

cuckoobird

They are at a better school now so why change it?

GuvHog

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 17, 2017, 12:14:12 pm
They are at a better school now so why change it?

Dollarway better?? Be serious.

green-eagle

I have been reading all of this and it make me think.... Why did Maumelle built a new school and then somebody claimed that the Oak Grove school was so bad that they moved all of Oak Grove student to this new school?

is it due, to the massive PCSSD?

Ball Hawk

Quote from: goldoline on July 14, 2017, 07:18:01 pm
Dollarway will play 5 home games this year.  The bleachers have been painted.  The field is receiving a sprinkler system and new grass.  Pressbox can allow folks who weigh 200+, new lights will be installed and home locker room is improved.

Good for Dollarway!!

bearbacker52

Quote from: green-eagle on July 17, 2017, 12:55:18 pm
I have been reading all of this and it make me think.... Why did Maumelle built a new school and then somebody claimed that the Oak Grove school was so bad that they moved all of Oak Grove student to this new school?

What is the distance between the two?

cuckoobird

I am serious. No one wants to go to WC or they already would

AirWarren

Quote from: green-eagle on July 17, 2017, 12:55:18 pm

Maumelle wanted its own school in the city. The "deal" was based on the fact that Maumelle would have to absorb OG and not send them to NLR. Maumelle is 88% white in a town of 17000. No way pcssd would allow a town with that much racial discrepancy form its own school with closed boundaries.

Maumelle eventually, wants their own district away from pcssd. So they can determine their own boundaries. But who knows when that will happen.

Of course that's just hearsay from people I was around at pee wee games when we lived in Maumelle. I don't want to come across as another "Guv" with fake news reports.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: bearbacker52 on July 17, 2017, 01:03:18 pm
What is the distance between the two?

Maybe they can switch places with Helena or Star City.

bearbacker52

Quote from: Oldman on July 17, 2017, 02:38:06 pm
Maybe they can switch places with Helena or Star City.

its kinda like banks will no give business loans to risky high crime areas, then they say the banks are discriminating, so who is right, who is wrong. If I was a banker, detroit, chicago, baltimore, would be off liimits for my business loans gaurantee programs.

GuvHog

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 17, 2017, 01:15:33 pm
I am serious. No one wants to go to WC or they already would

Look again. There are 2 districts in Jefferson county that are losing students, Dollarway being one. The other is Pine Bluff which has had to close it's 7th grade school and 2 elementary schools. WC is the second largest district in the County.

SUGARTOWN

Jimbo Morphis

AirWarren

2 threads.

Same results for one poster.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: GuvHog on July 18, 2017, 10:25:44 am
Look again. There are 2 districts in Jefferson county that are losing students, Dollarway being one. The other is Pine Bluff which has had to close it's 7th grade school and 2 elementary schools. WC is the second largest district in the County.

Uh actually Watson chapel, dollarway, pine bluff and white hall have all lost students over the last 5 years....per the department of education website

GuvHog

July 18, 2017, 06:03:57 pm #31 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:08:08 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on July 18, 2017, 10:40:31 am
Wrong again, White Hall school district is bigger than WC.

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/largest-school-districts/s/arkansas/?page=2

I was going by the AAA listings. They have WC listed above White Hall. My bad.

Jack1990

Quote from: GuvHog on July 18, 2017, 06:03:57 pm
I was going by the AAA listings. They have WC listed above White Hall. My bad.
And niche.com uses enrollment numbers from 2014-15.  AAA numbers probably more current.

cuckoobird

Want us to explain alphabetical order to you guv?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 18, 2017, 07:42:58 pm
Want us to explain alphabetical order to you guv?

He's Still working on numbers....better hold off on letters.

zebradynasty

Dollarway's financial problems are largely self-inflicted. Mis-management and theft made it nearly impossible to figure where the money went and it took it seems forever to figure out just how bad things were. That being said White Hall will never consolidate with Dollarway. It's two different cities and two separate districts I can see it battling out in the courts for years if they were forced together.   

Romeo

Dollarway has probably been in fiscal distress for over a decade, but the accounting and funds were so bad and mismanaged that they just declared fiscal distress in April of last year. Add bad leadership and corruption and you have the perfect cesspool.

old.dole

Luckily for white hall the pcssd school board got rid of the 2 men that gave them a chance to end a 35 year old lawsuit so they won't be coming after consolidating white hall and dollarway anytime soon. They are going to cost the state and Little Rock millions more to keep paying those lawyers

AirWarren

Quote from: old.dole on July 19, 2017, 08:40:13 am
Luckily for white hall the pcssd school board got rid of the 2 men that gave them a chance to end a 35 year old lawsuit so they won't be coming after consolidating white hall and dollarway anytime soon. They are going to cost the state and Little Rock millions more to keep paying those lawyers

Idiots. I swear the state needs to muzzle that moron John Walker.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Jack1990 on July 18, 2017, 06:15:08 pm
And niche.com uses enrollment numbers from 2014-15.  AAA numbers probably more current.

As of the October 1st enrollment numbers for the 2016-2017 school year, White Hall had an enrollment of 2808 while Watson Chapel had 2591.  That's from the Arkansas Department of Education. BTW Dollarway is down to 1202.

zebradynasty

Quote from: AirWarren on July 19, 2017, 08:54:27 am
Idiots. I swear the state needs to muzzle that moron John Walker.

You know I hear that often and to me IF it is true and ALL or even half of the Little School District problems are at the hand of John Walker, Little Rock and the State of Arkansas must be of the DUMBEST sob's that ever took a breath! How do you let one man outsmart thousands of people out of millions of dollars for a quarter century?   

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 19, 2017, 10:43:53 am
You know I hear that often and to me IF it is true and ALL or even half of the Little School District problems are at the hand of John Walker, Little Rock and the State of Arkansas must be of the DUMBEST sob's that ever took a breath! How do you let one man outsmart thousands of people out of millions of dollars for a quarter century?

Can't speak to what John Walker has or hasn't done, but in general the majority of folks aren't real bright. Or at the very least they don't pay attention to what's happening around them. I think that's pretty obvious these days...

old.dole

The money people want Little Rock schools to fail that way they can push charter schools. If they really wanted to end the suit they wouldn't have gotten rid of the 2 men that they did. Those 2 made more progress in 5 years than the previous did in 30.

cuckoobird

July 19, 2017, 11:34:10 am #43 Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:37:51 am by cuckoobird
It was definitely dumb to start busing kids all over town. The amount of money that's been spent on that has to be outrageous. If you want your children to go to school B in stead of school A, pick your butt up and move like everyone else in the state has to do

zebradynasty

Well Dollarway and White Hall shouldn't end up like Little Rock's. I doubt the state will force it.

AHS06

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 19, 2017, 11:34:10 am
It was definitely dumb to start busing kids all over town. The amount of money that's been spent on that has to be outrageous. If you want your children to go to school B in stead of school A, pick your butt up and move like everyone else in the state has to do
What was passed or what happened....?

GuvHog

July 19, 2017, 01:35:05 pm #46 Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:41:18 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: zebradynasty on July 19, 2017, 12:04:11 pm
Well Dollarway and White Hall shouldn't end up like Little Rock's. I doubt the state will force it.

It wouldn't be a consolidation. From what I've heard, If the State closed Dollarway, the district would likely be split between WC and White Hall.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: GuvHog on July 19, 2017, 01:35:05 pm
It wouldn't be a consolidation. From what I've heard, If the State closed Dollarway, the district would be split between WC and White Hall.
Who told you this?

AirWarren

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 19, 2017, 10:43:53 am

Because. All it takes is one person to cry foul on "sensitive" subjects and it will be beaten into the ground over and over again. And Walker has made millions off of the race war in Little Rock.

GuvHog

July 19, 2017, 01:40:35 pm #49 Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:43:07 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Oldman on July 19, 2017, 01:35:52 pm
Who told you this?

It's been bantered around in the WC district for quite some time. There's been talk of it around White Hall too. My Hair Stylist is a former WH school board member.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas