• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mtn Home FILLED (Bryan Mattox)

Started by Bomber_Believer, June 06, 2017, 12:55:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomber_Believer

MHFAN

Bad timing.  Good group of seniors with a lot of talent that bought into system for past 3 years.  Have a chance for 8 win plus season but this may be a problem depending on next hire.  Smart move might be to bring Maddox up from junior high as interim coach (at least) so kids don't have to learn a new system this summer.

Brian G

nuttinbuthogs

Does Mountain Home ever win very much?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on June 06, 2017, 04:02:16 pm
Does Mountain Home ever win very much?

Ever? They made state finals in 2006 or 07....lately? No

Bomber_Believer

Coach prior to Joyce had MH at an all-time low after Patrick left for Springdale.  Joyce had them trending up and had the talent to contend for the East this season.  MH is a very unique place and unfortunately not a plethora of talent here.  Takes the right coach and the right approach to be successful here.  Hopefully the next guy can keep up the momentum.

ricepig

Quote from: Bomber_Believer on June 06, 2017, 07:02:51 pm
Coach prior to Joyce had MH at an all-time low after Patrick left for Springdale.  Joyce had them trending up and had the talent to contend for the East this season.  MH is a very unique place and unfortunately not a plethora of talent here.  Takes the right coach and the right approach to be successful here.  Hopefully the next guy can keep up the momentum.

Contend for the East? More likely contend for 3rd/4th/5th, you aren't passing Jonesboro or PB next season.

Bomber_Believer

Not now.  The pieces are there.  Coaching change will make it unlikely that we have a winning season now.

MHFAN

I think that this late in the game we will have to name an interim coach, someone on staff now, and hopefully still have a good season.  All pieces are there. This is the best overall group of athletes I seen in MH over the past 25 years and schedule is favorable.  Hope to even give Jonesboro a challenge!!  As I have said in past don't give too much credit or blame to a specific coach.  We just don't generally have a combined group of exceptional athletes.  This year we do and will be fun.  Next 3 will be tough.  Same pattern for over 3 decades.  Hard town to coach in.  I would not want to put up the unrealistic expectations.  Football community is what needs to change and not the coach.  Just my opinion!  Hire should be someone who has strong commitment to the kids and community and quit looking to rebuild.  I said in 2014 post Joyce would be here 3 to 5 years and would leave.  Not faulting him but just part of the process when you hire someone who's job is to rebuild program.  We need someone to continue building the program and a fan base to understand this will take 10 years and there will be more lows than highs. 

nuttinbuthogs

Looking at Mtn Homes record, it is definitely a tough place to win.

mlrfo4

By far the most competitive they've been in years was last year. It's a shame to see Coach Joyce leave. I am not sure they can hang with Jonesboro or Pine Bluff, but we did hang tough with the Canes last year for a little more than a half. Numbers have been one of the biggest obstacles. They just ran out of gas in most of the losses last year. Should be interesting with who they hire. Is Coach Barnhill still around? I always thought he'd be a solid hire. I think the numbers would continue to increase.

Rulesman

He is head coach at Huntsville.

hogalum05

I like Barnhill...  just not sure he's right for the type program MH is and/or wants. If Huntsville can become a playoff team I'll be sold. Maddox is a good coach but again would like to see him get some Varsity FB experience first. There are a couple of good ones that come to mind for this job. I can tell you your gonna have to dig deep in those pockets to get the one you need! I think he might just move back to MH if the $ was right! I know this decision needs to be made FAST!

Bomber_Believer

If you are talking about Patrick, I don't see it happening. Been told they have already reached out to him and he has no interest in coaching again.

hogalum05

Bomber, your right. But $ talks and I think he's still got the itch... but there in lies one big problem. MH pay is really, just, well horrible compared to others in 5-7A. Not to mention in the middle of nowhere. Hard to get good coaches to come all the way up or over here for mediocre FB (or worse) and a pay cut. If not Patrick, The Who?

Grishawg

Quote from: Bomber_Believer on June 09, 2017, 11:43:44 pm
If you are talking about Patrick, I don't see it happening. Been told they have already reached out to him and he has no interest in coaching again.
That is unequivocally false. From both parties.

MHFAN

At this point they just need to name interim to be in charge through summer.  My understanding from visiting with some of the parents of senior class is that summer practice/workouts are not even taking place now and there has been no emails or contact from athletic department to give these kids a direction.  Joyce did meet with team to notify them he was leaving but nothing since.  The longer this goes on the worse it will get for the kids.  Real shame as they have a great athletic group of seniors.

beach bum

Quote from: MHFAN on June 12, 2017, 09:22:52 am
At this point they just need to name interim to be in charge through summer.  My understanding from visiting with some of the parents of senior class is that summer practice/workouts are not even taking place now and there has been no emails or contact from athletic department to give these kids a direction.  Joyce did meet with team to notify them he was leaving but nothing since.  The longer this goes on the worse it will get for the kids.  Real shame as they have a great athletic group of seniors.

That is actually pretty sad to those kids who were looking to get more W's on their side for Mountain Home.... No wonder the program has been slowly struggling when you have leadership in the athletic department like that. It's a 6A school and the other coaches in the program can't even keep summer workouts going?? Huh??

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on June 12, 2017, 04:43:19 pm
That is actually pretty sad to those kids who were looking to get more W's on their side for Mountain Home.... No wonder the program has been slowly struggling when you have leadership in the athletic department like that. It's a 6A school and the other coaches in the program can't even keep summer workouts going?? Huh??

The AD should have made sure workouts/practices continued, from my viewpoint.

UALR11

June 12, 2017, 06:38:18 pm #19 Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:00:46 pm by UALR11
B

no mascot

Said in the paper that workouts and practices would continue as previously scheduled under Joyce. Sounds like your source might be telling you a story to get out of summer practice!

B2 Stealth Bomber

Quote from: no mascot on June 12, 2017, 09:20:43 pm
Said in the paper that workouts and practices would continue as previously scheduled under Joyce. Sounds like your source might be telling you a story to get out of summer practice!

This is correct.  Coach Bigham is running them from what I understand.  Additionally, I drove by the field this morning and there they were on the field practicing. 

MHFAN

May be still continuing but know for fact not all attending.  Still no word to parents or athletes since Joyce made announcement.  Will have time if they can make decision in next 2 weeks and pick up after dead period.  Had a very scaled back spring session and no spring game.  No 7 on 7 either.  Still optimistic and looking for great year.  Heard caines have at least 2 D1 linemen, 2 quaterbacks (tough to choose between).  Only question will be their defense (never ending saga!).  Hope to see us at least push them into the 4th!

no mascot

MHFan I must say I think you're trolling. It was clear in the Baxter bulletin that Bigham was named interim and that practices and workouts would remain as scheduled. You first said that they weren't practicing then you said that not everyone was showing up. If any kids aren't showing up it's done of their own volition. I don't have a dog in the fight Btw just get annoyed by nonsense.

ricepig

Quote from: MHFAN on June 13, 2017, 02:06:41 pm
May be still continuing but know for fact not all attending.  Still no word to parents or athletes since Joyce made announcement.  Will have time if they can make decision in next 2 weeks and pick up after dead period.  Had a very scaled back spring session and no spring game.  No 7 on 7 either.  Still optimistic and looking for great year.  Heard caines have at least 2 D1 linemen, 2 quaterbacks (tough to choose between).  Only question will be their defense (never ending saga!).  Hope to see us at least push them into the 4th!

Yeah I'm sure the offense will be good, and the defense porous again. They're switching schemes on defense, it might help, it also might help to put some of the athletes they have stockpiled on the offensive side on defense.

MHFAN

not meaning to troll.  I am actually very optimistic in current AD and think he will pick right person  to run similar offense and let these kids have the potential to have the success I think they are capable of.  I have not had a kid playing for almost 5 years, hard to believe.  My info is all second hand from other parents as far as what is actually going on right now with summer schedule.  Thought is was reliable but  Glad to hear that some program is still going on with team.  Just anxious to see who assumes leadership role and move forward.  As a Bomber fan just glad they are getting some discussion!!

The_Pioneer

Boy, guy went to frickin Wyoming to get away from MH?  That's harsh.

Dayton Kitchens

I thought I had a good shot at assistant DC there a couple of years ago but I got into an argument with the head coach about the merits of man defense in the secondary vs. two deep zones that killed my interview.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on June 15, 2017, 05:14:02 pm
I thought I had a good shot at assistant DC there a couple of years ago but I got into an argument with the head coach about the merits of man defense in the secondary vs. two deep zones that killed my interview.
That explains a lot.

ricepig

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on June 15, 2017, 05:14:02 pm
Yeah, WM, PB, JB, and Marion would look forward to man defense.

hogalum05

So lots of apps but aren't they only interviewing a few? Also aren't the out of district coaches under contract with their present school?? How does that work? Crazy when the local paper is the only people that know anything! Ha!

B2 Stealth Bomber

There are others that know things. They just choose not to reveal.

Bomber_Believer

Only choosing 3 out of district candidates tells me that it will likely be one of the in district applicants.  The school board will want some options but I'm sure the decision is already made. 

hogalum05

Again, I know the  in-district guys. They're good men and good coaches at there current level. Maddox, for example, will work up and 1 day be a HC if he sticks with it. But how do you make a guy the HC of a 6A program that doesn't have ANY varsity experience? Just sounds crazy.

Bomber_Believer

How does Mtn Home do anything they do?  I know alot of people who work in the district and there are alot of things backwards.  Not exclusive to athletics.  If it's Maddox I hope he is successful, but I hope all candidates are given equal consideration because this hire will either grow the program from the progress made last year or plunge MH back to the depths of irrelevance.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: hogalum05 on June 19, 2017, 07:17:44 pm
Crazy when the local paper is the only people that know anything!
In fairness, that writer obviously does his homework.  Very impressive that he gave detailed information about guys that they aren't even interviewing. 

Bomber_Believer

Yes Sonny Elliot does a great job with his sports reporting.

MHFAN

Mattox is young but has been with program at Junior High level for around 7 years or more.  Kids like him a lot and he knows system.  I think he makes the most logical choice at this late juncture the game.  Numbers would increase drastically as I believe the last 3 years under Joyce have taken a big hit.  Anyone know exact number of kids out?  From past 3 years I would estimate 45 to 50 at tops??  Not real sure on this though.  I believe last I heard around 25 seniors on squad now, so next year could be big drop if coaching hire goes bad.

Bomber_Believer

You know Mattox doesn't run the same system that the high school runs right?

MHFAN

he knows the system and is close enough that the seniors will not have to learn something new.  Also he coached this group of seniors in Junior High

Dayton Kitchens

Junior High success (or failure) does not necessarily transfer to the Senior High.

hogalum05

Not saying one can't make the transition but it is a different world in Sr High. Not to mention the competition, game planning, and scouting is on a completely different level. Again, Maddox is a good one, just needs experience first.

no mascot

Will he still be the head soccer coach?

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: no mascot on June 21, 2017, 05:32:46 pm
Will he still be the head soccer coach?
He better just worry about football...

Bomber_Believer

He said the soccer decision is still up in the air.  I think in time he would realize it wouldnt work out.  Spring football is right in the middle of the soccer tournament season.

gobfan4ever

Quote from: Bomber_Believer on June 06, 2017, 07:02:51 pm

Yes sir, Joyce with a career 5-26 record had MH trending up. You've got to be kidding?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: gobfan4ever on June 28, 2017, 06:53:59 am
Yes sir, Joyce with a career 5-26 record had MH trending up. You've got to be kidding?

As bad as mountain home has been recently....having good numbers and players committed to playing could be considered trending up...

MHFAN

I agree.  Joyce only had a winning percentage of around 19%.  Mahan was around 17%.  Mattox will inherit an above average group of seniors (for MH).  The real work will begin the next year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas