• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AAA Recruiting Officials

Started by OB11, April 18, 2017, 07:42:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

I heard a commercial on the radio this morning that said the AAA was looking for people to become officials for all sports. I guess I always thought the AAA had people come to them to be officials. I've never known them to actively recruit. Is this something they have done before? And are they running these ads in other parts of the state? (I'm in Northeast Arkansas)

arreferee

Quote from: OB11 on April 18, 2017, 07:42:51 am
I heard a commercial on the radio this morning that said the AAA was looking for people to become officials for all sports. I guess I always thought the AAA had people come to them to be officials. I've never known them to actively recruit. Is this something they have done before? And are they running these ads in other parts of the state? (I'm in Northeast Arkansas)

I'm glad to hear the AAA is actively recruiting officials.  I don't remember them actively recruiting before, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.  We are in a situation right now, where we are going to have to recruit.  The shortage of officials (nationwide) is getting to a critical point. There are other states where games have been cancelled because there are no officials to work.  Many states have started having high school football games on multiple days so there will be officials available to cover them. 

Rulesman

This is an initiative originating from the National Federation.

sevenof400

Quote from: arreferee on April 18, 2017, 08:50:05 am
... Many states have started having high school football games on multiple days so there will be officials available to cover them.

And of course, the danger here is in overworking what officials are already there, causing them to burn out or wear out faster.   

There just are not any good solutions to this issue EXCEPT the recruitment, and development, of more officials.
I haven't heard these commercials yet in Central Arkansas but if anyone has a link to the radio spot, would you please post it here? 

It won't surprise me that a growing number of sports will need to move games to different days to allow for sufficient referee coverage.   

OB11

I think it is great that they are trying to recruit more officials. The radio spot I heard has one of the local radio personalities talking about how he officiated high school sports forever and that the AAA is looking for people to get into it. I will see if I can find a link to it and post here.

Rulesman

Quote from: OB11 on April 18, 2017, 12:56:17 pm
I think it is great that they are trying to recruit more officials. The radio spot I heard has one of the local radio personalities talking about how he officiated high school sports forever and that the AAA is looking for people to get into it. I will see if I can find a link to it and post here.
Sounds like that might be Trey Stafford from the Jonesboro radio group.

OB11

Yes it was. I emailed him and he sent me the mp3 file of the audio. Not sure how or even if I can upload it here.

OB11

Apparently I misheard the ad...I believe it is the AOA that originated the ad NOT the AAA. That actually makes more sense.

Rulesman

OB11

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-WcatmspQ8zRlM5Z3FndU9Wa3djNm9WX0ZxY2pqbTB0aWZB

Here is a link (maybe it will work) if anyone wanted to listen...it does say AAA in the ad. Like Rulesman said, same thing.

sevenof400

That linked worked fine - thanks for posting!

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

NFHS Poster outside our athletic office.  Just noticed it yesterday.

https://goo.gl/photos/neT7mjFj2pinV6oq8

Rulesman

Jimbo Morphis

What does an official make per game in each sport?

arreferee

April 20, 2017, 02:33:39 pm #14 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:40:04 pm by arreferee
Quote from: Oldman on April 20, 2017, 01:40:22 pm
What does an official make per game in each sport?

I thought there used to be a minimum pay scale on the AAA website, but I haven't been able to find it.  It used to be $65 per senior varsity football game and around $45 for junior high varsity games, but I didn't know any schools that were paying the minimum.  The crew I used to work with probably averages at least $80 per game on Friday nights.  I'm asking around to see if I can get a copy of the minimums...maybe someone else on here has them. 

Found it...http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/AOA/AOA_SuggestedPayScale.pdf

These amounts are per official.

Football - Sr. Varsity $65
   B ‐ Jr. High $50

Basketball - Sr. Varsity $40
   B ‐ Jr. High $35

Baseball - Single Game $45
   Doubleheader $90

Softball - Single Game $45
   Doubleheader $90

Volleyball Best 2 of 3 $35
   Best 3 of 5 $45

Soccer Referee $45
   Asst. Ref. $30

Track Referee $100
   Starter $100

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I think most schools (mostly set by the conference agreement with the assignor) do pay more than the minimum.

A few years ago, a baseball umpire at a regional told me they were getting less than the minimum to work those games.  They were being paid less by the AAA because it was supposed to be "an honor to get to work those games."  I don't know the validity of that or whether that would still be true.

sevenof400

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on April 20, 2017, 06:47:35 pm
I think most schools (mostly set by the conference agreement with the assignor) do pay more than the minimum.

A few years ago, a baseball umpire at a regional told me they were getting less than the minimum to work those games.  They were being paid less by the AAA because it was supposed to be "an honor to get to work those games."  I don't know the validity of that or whether that would still be true.

AAA pulls crap like that when it comes to officials working a state tournament - and it is a significant factor in souring people on officiating. 
Mileage paid - only one way and only once per a tournament - means refereeing a state tournament can be a money losing proposition.  A referee might make six trips to and from a tournament location but AAA will only pay for one.  Why? 
AAA doesn't pay lodging either so there is every chance a referee will spend more to travel to and stay in a decent hotel if he/she is working in a state tournament. 

You can't put honor in the gas tank. 

arreferee

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on April 20, 2017, 06:47:35 pm

The last time I worked a high school playoff game, the game fee was around $65 plus travel.  The travel pay bumped it up higher than I typically made on a regular season game (we never worked a playoff game very close to home so the travel fee was significant).  When I worked a state championship game, it was $70 plus travel.  The travel was a pretty short distance so I got less for the championship game than a regular season game.  But, I didn't complain...I got to work a championship game.  :)

It's pretty bad if the AAA is only paying travel once for tournaments...and not paying for lodging.  Depending on where the tournament is, they should be able to get a decent hotel at a pretty good price if the official is going to have to travel more than 50 miles or so.  I have a friend whose son works a lot of USSSA baseball tournaments.  They typically get around $35 per game and a hotel room if they are working multiple days.  He can easily take home $300 for a weekend tournament.  That's pretty good for a college student.  Most of those are for little league age and younger. 

Rulesman

For state basketball, the host school usually provides rooms for the officials who are not commuting.

blue4hire

The lowest paying games I will work all season are regonals and state but I don't mind too much because it is an honor to get to work at that level and it's only a small percentage of the overall season. As far as the pitiful minimum pay scale, if you want to umpire a baseball game for $45 I suggest your local Little League or Babe Ruth. Most schools/conferences I work for in central Arkansas are either $10 an inning or pretty close to it.

arreferee

Quote from: blue4hire on April 25, 2017, 10:48:09 pm
The lowest paying games I will work all season are regonals and state but I don't mind too much because it is an honor to get to work at that level and it's only a small percentage of the overall season. As far as the pitiful minimum pay scale, if you want to umpire a baseball game for $45 I suggest your local Little League or Babe Ruth. Most schools/conferences I work for in central Arkansas are either $10 an inning or pretty close to it.

That's good to know.  I think that minimum scale has been the same for at least 10 years.  It probably needs to be updated.

sevenof400

Quote from: blue4hire on April 25, 2017, 10:48:09 pm

To an extent, I understand the honor angle and I don't entirely disagree with it - but:

In many instances, in order to work a state playoff game, one ends up having to take time off work if they want to increase their likelihood of working a game.  By the time one calculates the expenses to work a state playoff game, it is too often the case where it costs one money to do so if travel is involved. 

In the end, I agree with all here that we need a larger supply of referees in all sports.  It would be nice if there were sufficient referee numbers all throughout the state but until that occurs, AAA needs to address this issue if they want to increase the number of referees available for the state playoffs that occur throughout the work week. 

hawg mafia

It's hard to recruit younger people in the officiating when they've watched parents, fan and coaches rail on officials for years. In this new snowflake world most kids coming outta HS or college aren't use to dealing with conflict or can't handle the pressure dealing with the afore mentioned. Their response is "why would I want to put up with that crap".

It's quickly become a national issue is all sports.

My recommendations to help
1) Parents need to teach kids to respect authority
2) School administrators need to deal with unruly fans
3) Higher pay scale for officials

just my thoughts

arreferee

Quote from: hawg mafia on April 28, 2017, 03:20:15 pm
It's hard to recruit younger people in the officiating when they've watched parents, fan and coaches rail on officials for years. In this new snowflake world most kids coming outta HS or college aren't use to dealing with conflict or can't handle the pressure dealing with the afore mentioned. Their response is "why would I want to put up with that crap".

It's quickly become a national issue is all sports.

My recommendations to help
1) Parents need to teach kids to respect authority
2) School administrators need to deal with unruly fans
3) Higher pay scale for officials

just my thoughts

If #1 would happen, you wouldn't have to worry with #2. 

Rulesman

Quote from: arreferee on April 28, 2017, 04:46:38 pm
If #1 would happen, you wouldn't have to worry with #2. 
There are some parents who could use a lesson in respecting authority. That too, would eliminate the need for #2.

Lions84

Best of luck in getting more folks into the game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas