• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JV Baseball

Started by Redleg76, April 15, 2017, 04:49:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redleg76

Is the purpose of JV baseball to keep parents happy and let little Johnny play or to develop the next 9? Batting 16 and letting 4-5 kids that have no hope of ever playing varsity baseball on the field seems like a waste to me.

Thoughts?

OB11

I think it depends on the individual school. A lot of JV games are a waste of time but there are schools that actually take the time to develop talent. The JV games for those schools are meaningful and help those players get better.

It's also worth noting that at some schools (smaller schools) baseball is not a cut sport and they keep everyone that comes out. I think it's only fair to let a kid that comes out and puts work in practicing to get at least some playing time in JV games. Same goes for other sports as well. You see it all the time in basketball and football. Players getting in for "garbage time" when the game is out of hand. Those are usually the players that wouldn't step foot on the floor otherwise. Often times those sports don't have designated JV games so those kids can get minutes.

Redleg76

Thanks for the response. I agree w a lot of what you are saying. It's a 5a school that cut a couple, but kept 15 freshmen. Of the 15, 5-6 have the ability to contribute. I am of the opinion that when you get to HS, you play to win. Unfortunately, I am learning the hard way that's not how we roll and it is VERY frustrating!

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland schedules 5inng JV DH, on Mondays , it seems rain outs have cancelled every DH.
JV games are important in player development. Coaches know down the line those freshman , Sophs will soon be the ones they will depend on for a position player , pitcher....
Looking at the players competing against other teams is different than just seeing them everyday in practice.

OB11

Quote from: Redleg76 on April 15, 2017, 06:36:58 pm
Thanks for the response. I agree w a lot of what you are saying. It's a 5a school that cut a couple, but kept 15 freshmen. Of the 15, 5-6 have the ability to contribute. I am of the opinion that when you get to HS, you play to win. Unfortunately, I am learning the hard way that's not how we roll and it is VERY frustrating!

I completely agree with you that in high school you play to win.

But...there does come a time when a coach needs to look at themselves in the mirror and get kids on the field if they have put in the work. That's where the JV games come in to play. Varsity is another animal entirely. You put the best 9 out there regardless of age or seniority and play for the W.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas