• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Alma Airedales

Started by AT, April 09, 2017, 08:23:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

April 09, 2017, 08:23:42 pm Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:02:44 pm by Almatrackster
What are the Dales losing? - Warning: This is long, read at your own risk
Let's start off with the most important position in sports, QB. The Airedales lose All-State QB Noah Dotson who tore up some 5A defenses with his legs and power and also his arm. A big loss for sure. He was the starter the past two seasons and really showed off his athletic ability this past year. His 80 yard run against Greenbrier is one of my favorite plays from last year.

Now at running back, you can't really just talk about literal Alma RBs because they aren't the main runners half the time, but also anyone who runs the ball, whether that be QBs or WRs. Dotson was the leading rusher for the Airedales by almost 800 yards, so that's a big loss for the ground game. The next leading rusher was the back up/change of pace QB in Garrison Jensen and he returns. I'll talk more about him in a bit. The Airedales don't really lose much else on the ground.

In the receiving corps, we lose some talent. Alma loses their 2nd leading receiver in Conner Huff. The main thing about Huff was his deep threat ability. He caught 21 passes for 539 yards this year...averaging around 25 yards a catch. Alma also loses speedster Drake Pendergraft who caught 16 passes for 245 yards. Drake was a good slot receiver who made some big plays. We lose a few other guys in Brayden Harris and Dathan Hillian who also contributed in spots.

On the offensive line, we lose not only every starter, but the whole 2 deep. These guys worked hard the past few years and gelled into a very solid unit. Alma has a lot of shoes to fill in the trenches.

Let's turn to the defense.

On the defensive line, we lose some, but not as much as the offensive line. Gunner Medrano was the 2nd leading defensive line tackler with 35 tackles and other guys like David Mullins, Nick Pointer, and Mark Brumley who were all a part of the D-Line 2 deep. Some holes to fill, although not as many as the O-Line.

In the linebacking corp, Alma loses a very good one in Jaedon Mitchell, but that's about it. Mitchell was a big playmaker, and maybe the best defensive player for Alma last year. He will be missed.

Alma loses quite a bit in the secondary, 3 of the 4 starting d backs in Brayden Harris, Keagan Fuselier, and Eli Howells. These guys stepped up big many times this past year.

What does Alma return?
At QB, losing Noah Dotson could be a little more worrisome for Airedale fans if they hadn't seen Garrison Jensen in his playing time these past few years. Jensen will come in as a senior and will be the favorite for the starting job I assume. As a sophomore, when the first and second string QBs went out with injuries, Jensen led a long game winning touchdown drive against Conway. He's a great passer and of course can move the ball with his feet as most Alma QBs tend to be able to. This will be the first year in the Coach Loughridge era where I'm not sure if we will have a change of pace QB and who it will be. Noah is handing over the starting QB job into good hands.

At the running back spot, Alma returns Jensen, who was the 2nd leading rusher as a backup QB last year. They also return what I hope can be a 3 headed monster at the traditional halfback spot. Dillon Crims, Kaleb Pike, and Caleb Lamproe all had flashes of excellence. Crims came along great at the end of the season and Pike was a monster in the meat of the season. It seemed like every time he touched the ball, it was a touchdown. I think Alma losing Dotson for the ground game is big no doubt, but it will be interesting to see if we hand off to our running backs more this year.

Now, for the Alma playmaker that everyone should keep their eyes on in the receiving corps, the Dales return All-State receiver Brayden Johnson. Brayden had 81 receptions for 1153 yards and 9 TDs last year. An excellent stat line. He will probably be the guy opposing coaches circle while watching Alma game film. He may actually have as much talent as any Alma player in recent year. I believe he had a visit with Arkansas State just this past week. I don't mind talking him up because I know he will back it up. He's our biggest play threat. One key will be for our other receivers to develop so teams don't go with the "make someone other than Brayden beat us". Dillon Crims was a great receiving threat out of the backfield last year. Felix Wright was our 5th leading receiver as a sophomore last year and we could see big improvements this year from him. Zach Oliver is a 6' 2" 200+ tight end who is very quick for his size. He'll be a load to bring down if he gets moving. There's many athletes to step up.

The O-Line starters will be a big question mark. I'm sure Coach Lock and Coach Marsh will experiment with many different lineups this summer and early season. It will be a big key to this season, the green offensive line.

On the defensive line, the aforementioned Zach Oliver was the leading tackler and he will be a hoss to try and block. Zac Henson was also on the D-Line 2 deep along with Nathan Alexander. There's some great talent there to be a good D-Line.

The linebackers returning has to excite Alma fans. There is a big caveat here. Alma's 3rd leading tackler from last year, Garrison Jensen, is a great linebacker but could also be the starting QB. Coach Loughridge's trend at Alma so far has been to play his starting QBs sparingly on defense, usually in special situations or playoff time. Garrison is more interesting of a case because he is such a good linebacker and that iss Coach Loughridge's keynote position. I'm not sure what we'll see, but I'll assume that he will be the starting QB and play linebacker some. We also return our leading tackler in Tyler Alexander and 4th leading tackler in Kaleb Pike. I'm excited to see this linebacking corps wreck some 5A offenses.

The secondary returns one starter...Brayden Johnson. He's not just a receiving threat, but a hawk of a free safety. He can make breaks on balls we know he has the hands to change those into interceptions. A two deep DB, Rosebeary, also showed a lot of promise last year as a sophomore.

Schedule and Prediction
@ Van Buren
@ Springdale
vs. Greenwood
@ Vilonia
vs. Farmington
vs. Morrilton
@ Clarksville
@ Harrison
vs. Greenbrier
vs. Maumelle

The non conference schedule is solid. 2 7A and 1 6A school. Van Buren is going to be hyped up about 30 times more to beat Alma than they are any other opponent. They are also going to only get better every year as Coach Werner's offense is installed. Springdale showed a lot of improvement last year and beat Alma @ Alma by one. They are also getting better under Coach Clark. Greenwood is Greenwood. Honestly, 0-3 could happen in non conference and I still think we could have a successful 5A campaign even if that happens. I think my prediction will be 1-2. I think we beat VB, Springdale is a bit of a tossup for me, but that's a tough game to win on the road. Greenwood at home is nice...who knows maybe we will steal it from them and finally end the "torture". But I'm not banking on it this year.

In conference, I think our schedule is very favorable this year. Yeah we start with a Vilonia squad on the road, but I think they are still trying to find their identity under a new coach. It will be a hard fought game, but I think the Dales pull it off.

We get a Farmington team who seems to be trending up at home. Farmington gave the Airedales a scare last year, but hopefully Alma comes out and defends home turf. I say a win.

And then the big one. The budding rivalry, perhaps just a full out rivalry, with Morrilton is at Airedale Stadium this year. Alma and Morrilton's losses are similar, but I think Morrilton lost a few more key playmakers and I think Alma getting this one at home gives the Airedales a win.

Clarksville is trying to establish a program, but they aren't there yet I don't think and I think the Airedales win on the road.

Now this next one is a scary one, too. Going to Harrison is always interesting and not usually easy. That being said, Alma has really beat Harrison by wide margins these past few years. Harrison was young last year and move up a VERY good freshman crew. I think our success against them recently (Coach Lock seems to have their number) and the fact that those 10th graders are 10th graders still makes me predict an Alma win.

Getting Greenbrier at home is nice, but they will be tough to beat as usual. I think we get beat them at home.

And the unpredictable Maumelle team to end the year. Chief has said they should be older and better this year. I am just going to predict a win because of the homefield advantage. Who knows what the two teams will be like at that point in the season.

So yes, my regular season prediction is 8-2 (7-0), 5A West champs. Let the criticism begin :D

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 09, 2017, 08:23:42 pm
And the unpredictable Maumelle team to end the year. Chief has said they should be older and better this year. I am just going to predict a win because of the homefield advantage. Who knows what the two teams will be like at that point in the season.

I have no idea what to expect either from us.  A lot will depend on both attrition and who will be there.  I've heard about a hundred different things as to who is returning next fall, who is transferring out, and who will or won't play.  No one will really know much until August I suspect.

FD4

At Wynne we start fresh with a new HC that has great potential both  as a HC and a very good crew of players to start a new episode in what is sure to be a continuance of where we were last season.  We return a proven QB as a 3rd year starter.  This guy has game and is all about ball.  I can't say what his back up will be but if it would turn out to be the sophomore, we will still be effective there as well.  The backfield will be solid returning one of if not the best fullback in the business in the east.  Coupled with his relief guy from last year, opposing linebackers have their hands full.  We (myself and some other neverwases and hasbeen's) refer to them as "Lightning and Thunder".  The O line did lose some veteran talent, but unlike Alma, we still have district champion starters and a solid crew from the Junior class as well.  I have been told there will be some 10th grade guys get the nod as well.  They should average out at 6'1" or so and go 250 easily.  The ends I dont know about, but when you run an option type offense, its more about misdirection and downfield blocking than roll out or pocket passing.

I am pretty sure our defensive line will be our strength this season.  They are big, nasty, fast, and very strong.  My only question is if they are on the weights like the previous coach had them.  Coach P made a statement on the local radio station in reference to the timed practice format Coach H ran I found to be very interesting.  He simply put it like this.  "We wont work on a timed practice format, we will simply practice until we get it right".  I like that attitude too, not to take away from the way Coach Hill conducted practice.

Our Defensive secondary will have to step up yet one more notch.  More and more of our non district and district alike opponents continue to work the spread format into their offense.  Like always, it is a tough offense to defend when the right players are in position to make plays. 

It will be a good season non the less, I wish Alma well this season, hope yall find a way to get another district championship.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas