• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Magnet Cove Open?

Started by Dr. Defense, March 28, 2017, 01:20:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

footballfan-tastic

Next time one of those folks who are making decisions needs heart, cancer or brain surgery, be sure to pick the surgeon that is the nicest, cheapest, knows somebody and is the best fit.  To heck with best surgeon, qualifications are over-rated.

SR30

Well that escalated quickly..

game on

Quote from: nomorewhining on April 18, 2017, 02:21:48 pm
One applicant has a ring as a head coach, 4 more as an OC, and has coached college football. He didn't get an interview. But after reading all this, he is glad.

Sounds like this fantastic hire was way over qualified.  1 ring as HC and 4 as an OC and coached college fb. boy!  What was he doing even thinking about a job in a 2A school?

game on

Quote from: Rida4Life on April 18, 2017, 02:25:21 pm
Did any of you Cove folks even read this guys post?!?!?!?  Guy hasn't coached a game yet and already the "experts" are passing judgement on who "they" would have hired. 
......and you wonder why you can't win.... MAYBE the problem isn't the kids it's the grown folks.....

Don't you  think folks may have a point about wanting a highly qualified HC?

Hogjr

No one from the Cove that I know is bashing the new guy. In fact, we are bashing the administration and how they have handled EVERY coach at that school. I wanna know why the girls coach still has a job after the talk Iv heard. She sent a kid to the dadgum hospital by ambulance bc she wouldn't listen to her and she had a bad asthma attack. Iv heard more but that's pretty bad in and if itself. As far as the grown folks, we all feel sorry for the crap storm this kid is coming into. My own kid is excited and can't wait to get to work with someone new

game on

Best of luck, a guy with only 2 years better have a plan to follow and stick to it or he's gonna have a bunch of people trying to run over him.  Winning will help, hopefully he will.

nomorewhining

Quote from: game on on April 18, 2017, 03:46:13 pm
Sounds like this fantastic hire was way over qualified.  1 ring as HC and 4 as an OC and coached college fb. boy!  What was he doing even thinking about a job in a 2A school?

I was just commenting on qualified coaches.

panther_forever

He has been coaching for 5 years, head coach for 2 of them years, he also only had 11 players on the team and won 5 games  in one year and had a lot of close ones. He seems to have big plans for us at the cove and seems like he will help our program tremendously so i think he deserves a chance and  i believe he will shock everyone next year.

HSCHogFan

He is 24 been coaching for 5 years? He may end up a good coach, but as an administrator this hire simply can't be justified.

FBlife

Coaching resume looks good. Has coached for 5 years, 1 year at Arkansas tech as assistant WR's coach. 1 year Coaching WR's and DB's at a high school in Arkansas and 1 year doing the same at another school. Then the last two years has been Head Coach at Glenbrook Private school in Louisiana with a overall record of 6-15. His enthusiasm and commitment is promising.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: FBlife on April 19, 2017, 11:53:33 am
Coaching resume looks good. Has coached for 5 years, 1 year at Arkansas tech as assistant WR's coach. 1 year Coaching WR's and DB's at a high school in Arkansas and 1 year doing the same at another school. Then the last two years has been Head Coach at Glenbrook Private school in Louisiana with a overall record of 6-15. His enthusiasm and commitment is promising.

He's been coaching high school since he was 19?  Doesn't add up. Man is 24 He can't have 5 years experience.

T65

The Doogie Howser of High School Football

Made

Did someone mention George O'Leary?

Kraig Crist

Quote from: T65 on April 19, 2017, 12:30:32 pm
The Doogie Howser of High School Football

I'm dead. lol.

SR30

I'm trying to figure this 5 year math equation out myself. I mean you would think if your good enough to coach at 19 then you would be good enough to be playing?

Also seems the players are tooting a different horn now?? What happen to he won't be around long if the team has anything to say about it? Oh and Panther_forever here is your big chance to make a difference. Talk him into signing that contract? See if he's gonna live up to your hype

HSCHogFan

Few folks trying to pad the resume he was basically the go get this student assistant at a mediocre college for a year. Student coach at a high school then had 2 losing seasons at a small private school in Louisiana. But he is enthusiastic so we won't worry about anything else.

panther_forever

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on April 19, 2017, 12:12:55 pm
He's been coaching high school since he was 19?  Doesn't add up. Man is 24 He can't have 5 years experience.
He told us he started out at cc and when they played us he fell inlove with the mc pride and he said if the job ever opened up he was going to take it

SR30

So was he like 17 then?

gameoflife

Quote from: panther_forever on April 19, 2017, 08:23:43 pm
He told us he started out at cc and when they played us he fell inlove with the mc pride and he said if the job ever opened up he was going to take it

This has got to stop. I wonder who writes this stuff. 

SR30

But according to the "team" he wasn't going to be there long if they had anything to say about it

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: SR30 on April 20, 2017, 07:02:06 am
But according to the "team" he wasn't going to be there long if they had anything to say about it
That and this entire thread should make other coaches really want to work there.

FBlife

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on April 19, 2017, 12:12:55 pm
My mistake, his first year was as an student coach at 19 and 20. But the coaching at Arkansas tech and the two years at Glenbrook is correct.

gameoflife

I don't know that a couple years as an assistant coach at 19-20 is much on a resume.  Coaching a ATech, I assume as a student asst somehow, and then Glenbrook.  It still comes down to a few years and getting a job over candidates with much more experience, there is something we do not know.

HSCHogFan

Talking to anybody involved with this debacle is like trying to nail jello to the wall. Figure if they were proud of the decision they would be all about talking him up. I'm with Gameoflife there is something more to this story. People involved avoid this discussion like the plague. Maybe a decision by the head man who knows.

Dayton Kitchens

Perhaps its more a case of more qualified candidates for the job making mistakes during their interview or making what the school considered unreasonable demands or requirements.

Just speculating.

SR30

Or maybe it was a candidate turning in a 52 page plan and the admin being overwhelmed. They like to have control over everything pretty much.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: SR30 on April 20, 2017, 08:57:28 pm
Or maybe it was a candidate turning in a 52 page plan and the admin being overwhelmed. They like to have control over everything pretty much.

Good point.    The trend now is for coaching candidates to turn in something that details their program plans.

In regards to what I said earlier,   I remember a guy with massive amounts of head coaching experience and was considered a  sure fire choice for the position.

But when interviewed,   he opened by saying that no matter what he wasn't touching the field. (mowing, painting, et cetera).

He lost the job right there.

RZback

You can read and reread the post on this topic but any reasonable thinking person who was hiring for the purpose of getting the best coach and AD would not see the result of the search committee making much logical sense.  Unless, there were folks who want to run the program their way and have a puppet at their command.  Think?

Hogjr

Rumor mill can take what they want from this but as the rumor stands: the super has ties to the kid and pushed hard for him. He has less experience and according to magnets web page and their "special board meeting" minutes the kid also was given $1500 a year raise. Now, the old AD/head fb coach with years of experience wasn't making that much so it's def not a "we can pay him less to do the same job" scenario. But people wonder why the community is up in arms?  Fishy business over there and yet NO ONE who's involved can or will give an explanation. Fishy fishy fishy.

RZback

How does a $1500 raise get a guy with 2 years experience as a certified teacher more money than the outgoing HC/AD who has enough years to retire?  Yearly steps for most teachers are around 4-500 dollars, so there is only 3 years worth.  I would believe the Super has ties to the kid. That and another interesting story I heard.

Hogjr

There's always more to the story.

SR30

And the plot thickens!!!!

WHITEchicken

Good hook RZ. Now let that other rumor fly.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: RZback on April 20, 2017, 10:09:24 pm
How does a $1500 raise get a guy with 2 years experience as a certified teacher more money than the outgoing HC/AD who has enough years to retire?  Yearly steps for most teachers are around 4-500 dollars, so there is only 3 years worth.  I would believe the Super has ties to the kid. That and another interesting story I heard.

If he was at a private school, do the step ups still count?  Or would he be at step 0?

mrknowitall

And added a 2000 stipend for strength and conditioning land college recruiting coordinator!

Made

Quote from: southarkdaddy on April 21, 2017, 07:53:44 am
If he was at a private school, do the step ups still count?  Or would he be at step 0?
should be 0

Jimbo Morphis

I bet facebook in Magnet Cove is fun.

COACH-Mike

old.dole

I would guess it's up to the school if they wanted to count it. Won't count towards retirement at all

FisherOfMen11

Also saw in the minutes they increased the new basketball hire to a 230 day contract. The strength training for football was $2000 new position they created and the AD stipend went up $1500. A lot of big decisions made at a "special" board meeting just 4 days before the regularly scheduled meeting.  ::)

southarkdaddy

Increasing coaches salaries is never a bad thing.  If this doesn't work out those dollar figures will stick and will help in the future. 

RZback

Quote from: WHITEchicken on April 21, 2017, 07:46:23 am
Good hook RZ. Now let that other rumor fly.

I got the information sort of second hand so I'll have to think about it. 
Also all the pay raise information is interesting also. His experience would count if the school alows it, most likely has to be certified teaching experience so the student assistant stuff would not. 

game on

Quote from: SR30 on April 20, 2017, 08:57:28 pm

I had heard this from a friend. Mind telling who that was?

game on

I have heard also that one coach has resigned and that a board member did as well.  Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

SR30

For sure one board member resigned.

mriderpride84

Ties to the Superintendent I hope was not the case, because most of the board members will not be sitting there come next election. He will be first to go with a new board if this is the case.

RZback

It looks like there is more to the story.  Certainly there were a couple of camps that favored different candidates and from what I gather neither got the job. The story I got was that one of them presented a very specific plan for the football program and the athletic program and was well received. The problem was more of a case of one person on the committee. I hope that wasn't the case but I've heard this from a couple of sources.

SR30

Here is my crazy outta whack conspiracy theory lol. Take it for what it's worth.
1. MC wanted to go with no Alumni whatsoever. I mean do you notice any former MC alumni in administrative positions? I mean heaven forbid there be a true Panther in a administrative roll.

2. Some of the admin has such a hatred for Glen Rose that they were willing to pass on a coach who had a very successful tenure under coach kehner. As well as having a coach who played his high school football at MC when Kehner was coaching there.

3. If the above 2 coaches had been hired then a game with Glen Rose would have been inked and played in 2018. By not going with  one of them the admin was able to keep this game from happening and losing thousands of dollars in gate revenue.

On a closing note I tend to feel a little bad for the outgoing coaching staff as they did the best they could with the cards dealt. I heard as part of the improvement plan they were given the admin wanted easier non conference games scheduled so the team moral would not be down before conference play. Wow

Hogjr

Well they hired a GR basketball coach so I'm not sure on the GR football let down. And I don't see the board or the super retaining positions in the future. The community is in an uproar over this entire thing. To much shade being thrown.

we_hate_the_band

Hey SR30, did your infatuation with GR start before or after they made you soil your pants as a senior in HS?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas