• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Magnet Cove Open?

Started by Dr. Defense, March 28, 2017, 01:20:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NWA Hawg

Quote from: SR30 on April 14, 2017, 11:23:59 pm
Well apparently Fan007 you must be one of the administration who sat on the on the interviews, buddy buddy with one of them or just live with your lips permanently attached to one of the 4th point of contact. I was in no shape form or fashion pulling for Golden, if I would have had to choose Chase Myers would have gotten the job. But apparently his written plan was to overwhelming for you because he wanted total control of the program without any interference. The powers that be just aren't willing to let that happen. No matter how you spin it in your world their is no way this kid, yes I said kid because I have a daughter his age, is ready to deal with what he is about to be bombarded with. You can spin your decision anyway WY you want but it still doesn't change the fact. Your coach will be a whopping 6 years older than some seniors, has never coached a down in arkansas much less a public school. And to top it off buddy you and the Cove are right there on the edge of moving up to 3A.. and oh boy wouldn't you know it the 5-3A is probably the toughest conference in the state of Arkansas in any classification. Your young coach won't know what to do When Prescott and GR come to town. Not to mention the ever improving Centerpoint Knights and HG Cardinals.. let me tell you there are people drooling st the fact MC may move up. They were a mere 16 kids away from 3A level last cycle. They made that up this year alone..can't wait to see the count when they reclassify this summer.. wake up snowflake, it's people like you who ruined PPRD and turned it into just some unless letters..suck it up buttercup your in for a long ride. Oh and nobody said they required head coaching experience..but you had coaches with a butt load more experience that have been OC/DC, and position coaches under some of the best coaches in the state hands down. With people like you the only time anyone from the cove will see war memorial is when you drive by going to the zoo..

Lol dang it you got me. I'm the Super at Magnet Cove. I've also got some ocean front property for sale in Arizona if your interested in leaving the Cove. But honestly I'm just trying to inform of how school decisions are made before you sound like an idiot trying to blame it on the wrong people. Sounds like to me you are board member or friends with one and don't want the blame put on you or them. Course I could be wrong seeing as how I don't know anyone at Cove. Just check my old posts all the way back to when I joined fearless. I have never posted about magnet cove until this job and the basketball job came open. 

SR30

Well then you have no clue how things work in the Cove so u can't really speak on it. Those of us who have been part of the cove know how things work there. It's unlike any other district you could imagine. So like you said you really don't know any history about how the cove works. Otherwise you would read back on my post and seen my family got out of that train wreck over there. My wife was a teacher there so we know exaclty how they work. You would also see that my son plays for one of the best coaches in the state while my wife teaches at a school that with a few more years will have a top ranked program. You know why?? Their coaches have experience. I mean let's see how this really compares. Two local schools, not far from the cove, hire new head coaches last year. One being the former Bryant coach and the other being the former Fayetteville coach.. so who does MC hire??? A coach whose 3rd game of the season will be against one of those coaches..so back up, do your homework and know the school you are speaking of.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: SR30 on April 14, 2017, 11:53:31 pm
Well then you have no clue how things work in the Cove so u can't really speak on it. Those of us who have been part of the cove know how things work there. It's unlike any other district you could imagine. So like you said you really don't know any history about how the cove works. Otherwise you would read back on my post and seen my family got out of that train wreck over there. My wife was a teacher there so we know exaclty how they work. You would also see that my son plays for one of the best coaches in the state while my wife teaches at a school that with a few more years will have a top ranked program. You know why?? Their coaches have experience. I mean let's see how this really compares. Two local schools, not far from the cove, hire new head coaches last year. One being the former Bryant coach and the other being the former Fayetteville coach.. so who does MC hire??? A coach whose 3rd game of the season will be against one of those coaches..so back up, do your homework and know the school you are speaking of.

Your not understanding me are you. I tried to explain to you how it was the school board who made the hire no matter who all you blame but you just don't get it. That's how it works at every school magnet cove, glen rose, etc. If the wrong guy was hired then it was the board who did it, not the administration. Sounds like you have a personal agenda against the admin but hey that's cool. Whatever works for ya. Just trying to help you out.

SR30

And I'm trying to explain to you "Mr know it all" it doesn't always work like it's suppose to..

mrknowitall

Hey that's my name! Lol! I'm just an innocent bystander! Wondering where all the mc people will school choice?

NWA Hawg

Quote from: SR30 on April 15, 2017, 09:00:47 am
And I'm trying to explain to you "Mr know it all" it doesn't always work like it's suppose to..

If it doesn't work like It's supposed to then it is the boards fault still. If the board is allowing a committee to make all the decisions for them it's still their fault. IT IS THERE JOB TO MAKE THE FINAL DECISION ON ANY HIRE. That's like me blindly voting for a president because my friends told me to and then blaming it on them when he gets it and doesn't do a good job. All I'm saying is if I'm wrong, when the board minuets come out. Send them to me and show me how many votes the superintendent, assistant superintendent, and principal had in the final decision. If they had a vote, then I'll admit I was wrong.

southarkdaddy

MC isn't that close to moving up to 3A. About 10 schools ahead of them.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: fann07 on April 15, 2017, 11:10:06 am
If it doesn't work like It's supposed to then it is the boards fault still. If the board is allowing a committee to make all the decisions for them it's still their fault. IT IS THERE JOB TO MAKE THE FINAL DECISION ON ANY HIRE. That's like me blindly voting for a president because my friends told me to and then blaming it on them when he gets it and doesn't do a good job. All I'm saying is if I'm wrong, when the board minuets come out. Send them to me and show me how many votes the superintendent, assistant superintendent, and principal had in the final decision. If they had a vote, then I'll admit I was wrong.

That does not make sense. The school board is supposed to hire or not hire whoever the superintendent recommends. They were not the ones sitting in on interviews and should not be.

WHITEchicken

Here is how all the board stuff works. The school board does not have the right to hire and fire. All the can do is vote on what is presented to them. If MC had a committee pick a coach the board can not say no and hire someone else. All they could have done was say no. The committee or superintendent had to have made a motion for someone.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: WHITEchicken on April 15, 2017, 03:01:28 pm
Here is how all the board stuff works. The school board does not have the right to hire and fire. All the can do is vote on what is presented to them. If MC had a committee pick a coach the board can not say no and hire someone else. All they could have done was say no. The committee or superintendent had to have made a motion for someone.
Agreed

NWA Hawg

I agree as well that they could have said no and ask the committee to bring someone else or even to conduct more interviews but in the end they have the final say on yes or no of the hire. If they did not want this coach to be hired they could have voted him down and asked for a new recommendation. The school board does have the right to hire and fire. They can even buy out the superintendents contract and get rid of him. Do you not know how the chain of command works in a school district?  If they don't have the right to hire or fire someone, then why do all hires have to be voted on by them? Even the teachers already at the school have to have their contracts voted on by the school board to be renewed. Who do you think does the hiring and firing at a school?

NWA Hawg

By the way if they would have said no like you said they could do and the superintendent had recommended someone else, could they have done this until they had the guy the majority of them wanted and thus making the decision on the hire??????

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: fann07 on April 15, 2017, 03:23:52 pm
By the way if they would have said no like you said they could do and the superintendent had recommended someone else, could they have done this until they had the guy the majority of them wanted and thus making the decision on the hire??????
There within lies your problem at Magnet Cove

NWA Hawg

Quote from: dragontrackcoach on April 15, 2017, 03:28:52 pm
There within lies your problem at Magnet Cove

I agree 100%. Vote in a board who has the guts to stand up and say no when it's not in the next interest of the children.

HSCHogFan

Wondering if he has signed a contract yet?

SR30

Southarkdaddy what do you mean there are 10 schools ahead of them?? I mean what does that even mean? If your referring to what the numbers were when the count was made 2 years ago then yes 10 schools may have been ahead of them. However it's not a "place" issue. If MC picks up the numbers, which they seem to have, they will jump in classification. It has nothing to do with who is in what place. It has to do with the amount of students enrolled 9th-12th grade.  MC was 16 kids away from 3A level during the last cycle count. If they have picked up 16 students, which I'm pretty sure they have, and not lost many then they will be sitting right at the 3A level. Same thing with haskell harmony grove as they picked up 164 kids last year alone.

sevenof400

April 15, 2017, 07:31:03 pm #416 Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:45:59 pm by sevenof400
You're assuming the counts for other schools have not changed - do you have verifiable facts that support that contention? 

When the new set of numbers are published, there are bound to be a number of surprises.  In the meantime, a best guess scenario was published in this thread:
http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=149405.msg3470330#msg3470330
by Fearless Friday's own Almatrackster.  While these numbers are not official, he seems to have a pretty good handle on the numbers published by the ADE. 

AT's numbers suggest Magnet Cove is not likely to move up from 2A. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 15, 2017, 07:31:03 pm
You're assuming the counts for other schools have not changed - do you have verifiable facts that support that contention? 

When the new set of numbers are published, there are bound to be a number of surprises.  In the meantime, a best guess scenario was published in this thread:
http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=149405.msg3470330#msg3470330
by Fearless Friday's own Almatrackster.  While these numbers are not official, he seems to have a pretty good handle on the numbers published by the ADE. 

AT's numbers suggest Magnet Cove is not likely to move up from 2A. 

Don't bring facts onto the 2a board....They aren't welcomed here ;)

sevenof400

Quote from: HorseFeathers on April 15, 2017, 08:11:13 pm
Don't bring facts onto the 2a board....They aren't welcomed here ;)

We're in the Twilight Zone?   ;D

It is a different world here...fun though. And active.  The 5A and 6A boards have been dropping off in recent years...

SR30

I never said for sure they would but they will be close. Since the Malvern lawsuit was settled school choice has blown up. Numbers can change at any time. Haskell harmony grove had no idea they would get 164 new kids at the beginning of the school year. Granted that is 7th-12th but it is a lot. They had to hire new teachers and other staff to accommodate. Even speaking to one of the school Board members he has a concern they may move up. We will know this summer. Of course if they do the move won't beaded until the 2018 season.

southarkdaddy

School enrollment numbers are reported every year. What I meant was there are 10 current 2A schools with a higher enrolled than MC. They aren't moving up.

SR30

Numbers for the next cycle have not been released that I am aware of. Yes numbers counted every year AAA cycle is every 2 for classification

SR30

Sorry my math was off by just a few. Gurdon and junction city are the 2 smallest public schools in 3A with 186 kids 9th-12th. Magnet is at 164 for a difference of 22. According to the AAA the last set of numbers were released April 30th 2015 so they should be released at any time. What was the current enrollment 7th-12th this year at MC

southarkdaddy

I have no clue about mc. What I'm saying is there is no way the AAA is putting the cutoff where 10 to 15 2a schools bump. MC isn't in any danger of moving up this cycle

SR30

Research numbers from the Arkansas Dept of education website.

2016/2017 school year enrollment

Magnet Cove 2A 234 students 9-12
Glen Rose 3A 326 students 9-12
Horatio 3A 234 students 9-12
Junction City 3A 224 students 9-12
Gurdon 3A 208 students 9-12

So as you can see according to the state website MC has the same enrollment as one 3A school and more than 2 others. Like I said they could possibly be knocking on the 3A door

SR30

You can't justify leaving junction city and gurdon in 3A and not moving someone up like MC That has more numbers.. location will come in to play as well. If gurdon drops back to 2A there is no other local school to fill their place in the 5-3A other than MC. AAA takes all that into consideration.

SR30

Here is another great example

Fordyce is 3A and has 214 students 9-12
Yet another MC has more students than.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SR30 on April 15, 2017, 09:32:52 pm
Research numbers from the Arkansas Dept of education website.

2016/2017 school year enrollment

Magnet Cove 2A 234 students 9-12
Glen Rose 3A 326 students 9-12
Horatio 3A 234 students 9-12
Junction City 3A 224 students 9-12
Gurdon 3A 208 students 9-12

So as you can see according to the state website MC has the same enrollment as one 3A school and more than 2 others. Like I said they could possibly be knocking on the 3A door

Your numbers are faulty though....9-11 is all that counts...And it's a 3 year average...14-15, 15-16, and 16-17 count on the numbers that will reclassify the next cycle

HorseFeathers

The numbers that almatrackster posted in the linked thread, have Gurdon, yellville, Marianna, and Fordyce dropping to 2a...P/W, Danville, rison, and chg being the football schools moving up... I wouldn't quote his work but the guy has a history of being fairly close in projections..

SR30

Like I said it may not happen and I did forget to take out the 12th grade class. What I'm trying to say is with the influx of students on school choice its,bound to happen at some point.

WHITEchicken

Yes I do understand how it works. Again they can not just say hey we are hiring this guy. They can shoot down someone presented to them by a committee. The people that need to be renewed by the board also is just that. They have to be renewed. Therefore they are presented to them. My point was the school board can not pick who they want. They can only say yes or no to whom they are presented. So don't blame the board. 9 out of 10 times the school board goes with the superintendents recommendation.

way2go

April 15, 2017, 11:18:28 pm #431 Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:20:11 pm by way2go
If the information from previous posts is correct, there were two school board members on the committee along with administration.

SR30

And one of them resigned due to actions of the administration

sevenof400

April 16, 2017, 07:35:55 am #433 Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:43:39 am by sevenof400
Quote from: SR30 on April 15, 2017, 08:48:35 pm
Numbers for the next cycle have not been released that I am aware of. Yes numbers counted every year AAA cycle is every 2 for classification

However, one does not have to wait for the numbers to be released if you're willing to dig through the info (and there is a lot of info) on the ADE website. 

Click here for the ADE enrollment by grade for Magnet Cove in 2016-2017 and you can get one year of the three needed to generate the student population count for Magnet Cove used for classification purposes. 

It is a three year average of the student counts in grade 9-11 that is used for classification purposes.  This is why a one year anomaly in student count will usually not cause a school to move up or down (but not always). 

Magnet Cove's student enrollment numbers for 2014-2015 are:
9th: 58
10th: 58
11th: 58
Total: 174

Magnet Cove's student enrollment numbers for 2015-2016 are:
9th: 49
10th: 56
11th: 60
Total: 165

Magnet Cove's student enrollment numbers for 2016-2017 are:
9th: 71
10th: 50
11th: 54
Total: 175

3 year avg: (174+165+175) / 3 = 171.33 students

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 16, 2017, 07:35:55 am
However, one does not have to wait for the numbers to be released if you're willing to dig through the info (and there is a lot of info) on the ADE website. 

Click here for the ADE enrollment by grade for Magnet Cove in 2016-2017 and you can get one year of the three needed to generate the student population count for Magnet Cove used for classification purposes. 

It is a three year average of the student counts in grade 9-11 that is used for classification purposes.  This is why a one year anomaly in student count will usually not cause a school to move up or down (but not always). 

Magnet Cove's student enrollment numbers for 2014-2015 are:
9th: 58
10th: 58
11th: 58
Total: 174

Magnet Cove's student enrollment numbers for 2015-2016 are:
9th: 49
10th: 56
11th: 60
Total: 165

Magnet Cove's student enrollment numbers for 2016-2017 are:
9th: 71
10th: 50
11th: 54
Total: 175

3 year avg: (174+165+175) / 3 = 171.33 students
At 171 they will def not move up. The number on the border line is closer to 200. And no doubt if they do they will be in the 3A-5. 

HSCHogFan

were there any guys with coaching experience on the hiring committee? I'm sure we will all find out this week who was responsible for this hire, or on the hiring committee nobody to blame on school board members but ourselves. We appoint the board members and hope all but 1 are replaced then take care of admin problems. Look at schools who have a thriving football program admin is usually full of previous coaches. They are use to handling pressure and know exactly how sports programs effect enrollment, community support, and academics. We have 1 ex coach in the elementary. When your leaders aren't athletic minded the school will suffer as a whole.

sevenof400

Quote from: HSCHogFan on April 16, 2017, 09:28:04 am
were there any guys with coaching experience on the hiring committee? I'm sure we will all find out this week who was responsible for this hire, or on the hiring committee nobody to blame on school board members but ourselves. We appoint the board members and hope all but 1 are replaced then take care of admin problems. Look at schools who have a thriving football program admin is usually full of previous coaches. They are use to handling pressure and know exactly how sports programs effect enrollment, community support, and academics. We have 1 ex coach in the elementary. When your leaders aren't athletic minded the school will suffer as a whole.

Would you care to expand on that thought just a bit?

HSCHogFan

April 16, 2017, 11:00:18 am #437 Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:02:26 am by HSCHogFan
Sure! Administrators that are pencil pushers never see the value in athletics. They may show up to events and smile but don't understand the significance especially in a small school. Success brings more students, which brings more money to the district. Some students keep good grades just to play, which isn't ideal but whatever keeps grades up go with it. MC is a great area most parents who want their kids in small schools love the sports and feel connected with the school, which has a down side when some goofball decides to hire a coach with 2 years experience and neither was a winning season over multiple others who far outshines his credentials. They are probably thinking this will all blow over but I have lived here my whole life and never seen so many people this upset. Meeting was on Friday hoping people would cool off over weekend, but this week should be interesting. When the old men at our gastation say these people are idiots you know it's bad lol

SR30

I can tell you all but one who was on the interview committee. I do not know who one of the board members was but I know who 4 of the 5 were. I can tell you the ones I know that we're on the committee have no coaching experience unless the superintendent did years and years ago.

sevenof400

First of all, HSCHogFan, thanks for adding additional thoughts to your post. 

My experience with school districts seems to have run the polar opposite to yours as over the years I've seen school districts encumbered by athletics to the point where the school neglects their educational responsibilities to the students.  It is fine line to maintain the proper balance between academic and athletic demands and communities benefit most when that relationship is 'just right' (not too skewed to athletics or academics).  It's hard to accomplish and maintain that balance. 

As an aside, there is at least one member here on Fearless Friday (and likely more) who are school board members - they could tell from first hand experience how hard it is to maintain that balance. 

With the constant changes coming from the federal government programs and the state board of education (requiring additional resources from the school) piling on top of the already far too voluminous requirements (i.e. unfunded mandates), being on a school board is a much harder job than one might imagine.  But that's a bit off topic here. 

HSCHogFan, I agree with you that an administration can lean too far in either direction (academics or athletics).  And I'd venture to go a bit further here and say that balance is much different to maintain in a smaller town as opposed to a larger town.  Athletics does play an important role in every school but given the likelihood of fewer alternatives in a smaller school district, I think it is more likely for athletics to get too much attention in a smaller school (talking here in general terms - not pointing this specifically at Magnet Cove). 

Out of curiosity, let me ask you a few questions above Magnet Cove since I do not have any direct connection to the city not do I know anyone mentioned here who has interviewed for the HC position, or is an administrator or school board member at Magnet Cove. 

Is is possible that the school is looking for every way possible to save money in the present political environment?  School funding increases have been trimmed and seem to be shrinking.  A lot of school boards have been concerned about state money (funding) not keeping pace with the cost of new requirements.  Could it be the administration and board was looking for a lower cost hire - i.e someone younger - because there are fiscal concerns? 

sevenof400

Quote from: SR30 on April 16, 2017, 12:32:22 pm
I can tell you all but one who was on the interview committee. I do not know who one of the board members was but I know who 4 of the 5 were. I can tell you the ones I know that we're on the committee have no coaching experience unless the superintendent did years and years ago.

Are you suggesting an interview committee should be comprised of coaches only?  If a committee is supposed to be a cross section of the environment in which a teacher / coach is going to work, wouldn't it make sense to have no more than 1 or 2 coaches on a 5 person committee? 

SR30

Apparently you can't read door knob NONE of the committee has ever coached,,, that means 0, zero, Nada, no mas, no Bueno, nilch, 1-1=0...  0 times any other number is zero.. can you comprehend any of those numbers or words???

SR30

Magnet cove is on no way shape or form any where close to any financial issues. This small district has a power plant, Reynolds aluminum, what used to be midland railroad, Martin Marietta which is a large company, Bozeman truck line, and several other businesses within its district for tax base. Not to mention they already pay teachers some of the lowest salaries in the state.. my wife got a 11,000 a year raise the day she left there and has increased thus year. holy cow I almost forgot about Haliburton as well. Not to mention a few private donors who pump several thousand $$$ out of their own pockets. So as far as goes I doubt that was a major factor.

way2go

My experience with administrators and school boards is that the mindset is mostly about money and jumping through hoops. Maybe they feel they're forced into that position, but the reality is that kids often get lost in the shuffle. Add power trips and politics to that and you have a total fiasco.

sevenof400

Quote from: SR30 on April 16, 2017, 06:13:47 pm
Apparently you can't read door knob NONE of the committee has ever coached,,, that means 0, zero, Nada, no mas, no Bueno, nilch, 1-1=0...  0 times any other number is zero.. can you comprehend any of those numbers or words???

Perhaps you should read your own posts a bit more carefully - your post of:
Quote from: SR30 on April 16, 2017, 12:32:22 pm

You're leaving open the possibility that one of the board members could have been a coach (the 5th of 5 - the one you didn't know) and the possibility the superintendent could have previously coached.

Care to try again and answer the question?

sevenof400

Quote from: SR30 on April 16, 2017, 06:20:54 pm
Magnet cove is on no way shape or form any where close to any financial issues. This small district has a power plant, Reynolds aluminum, what used to be midland railroad, Martin Marietta which is a large company, Bozeman truck line, and several other businesses within its district for tax base. Not to mention they already pay teachers some of the lowest salaries in the state.. my wife got a 11,000 a year raise the day she left there and has increased thus year. holy cow I almost forgot about Haliburton as well. Not to mention a few private donors who pump several thousand $$$ out of their own pockets. So as far as goes I doubt that was a major factor.

I did not know Magnet Cove had this much business presence within their district - thanks for sharing that info. 

It does seem odd to have that much business presence within a community and have low salaries.

Hogjr

Back to this past season, our boys were not prepared. At all. They basically HAD NO SUMMER WORKOUTS. They practiced the jr high more than the high school. How's that for dedication? As far as off season, they workout 3 days a week bc that's all the HEAD FOOTBALL coach will allow. Now, how in gods name can you prepare for a season without practice? Now for the politics, my motto is don't start none won't be none. As a former alumni now parent, this school needs a shaking all the way around. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. And I hear the female basketball coach done got herself in some hot water too. Seems like Golden and Webb are the only ones not on the chopping block. All the rest are out. It's a shame that it's come down to this and it all started when who came to town?  Not golden but maybe the superintendent. Maybe he's the pot stirrer.

gameoflife

School boards only approve or refuse a recommendation of the superintendent.  That's it.  Now they do hire and fire the superintendent and they don't need much of a reason to do that.  They cannot hire nor fire any teacher without a supers recommendation. 
A two year experienced coach seems very risky. 

gameoflife

Good chance you will never know why they made this particular hire.

SR30

I agree totally with Hogir.. I've never understood how you can prepare kids for a full contact sport when you go shoulder pads and helmet from the time you hit 7th grade until your last practice as a Panther. I know the AAA only allows a certain amount of days a week for full contact so you have to make the most of them. Teaching these boys to not go full speed and hit, only leads to them getting hurt. They don't know how to give a hit or take a hit. Hopefully this new guy will come in on fire and change it all. The real bad thing is throwing this young kids into the AD roll right off the bat to. He is going to be trying to implement his program and philosophy while trying to maintain the whole athletic dept as well. Should have left that with the principal for the first year..

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas