• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Players playing both ways

Started by Granny4two, December 12, 2016, 09:22:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Granny4two

As recent as Drew Morgan, Greenwood used to play several key players both ways.  It seems to me we have moved away from doing it as much as we used to.  It worked for us.  Can anyone explain why we have done this?  And I'm sincere in asking about this.

DogsandHogs

Move this to the football board! You are right! They have moved away from it.

STBruin

Simplest explanation is to keep them fresh. If you run a high octane no huddle, up tempo offense, you can't afford to play them both ways and not have both sides of the ball suffer.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Granny4two on December 12, 2016, 09:22:40 pm
As recent as Drew Morgan, Greenwood used to play several key players both ways.  It seems to me we have moved away from doing it as much as we used to.  It worked for us.  Can anyone explain why we have done this?  And I'm sincere in asking about this.
My guess would be if you have a really dominant player you may see them play some both ways in close games mostly in 2nd half.

Iknewthemwhen

Really well conditioned players should be able to spend time on both sides of the ball.  Think about it, a play last about 10 seconds max, then there is a 1 minute rest at a minimum.  Yeah, they may not need to play every down, but players played at a high level on both sides of the ball for decades and got it done, some schools do this more than others still today.  I think the bigger problem is lack of conditioning and not the mental toughness among some players.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on May 09, 2017, 08:37:25 am
Really well conditioned players should be able to spend time on both sides of the ball.  Think about it, a play last about 10 seconds max, then there is a 1 minute rest at a minimum.  Yeah, they may not need to play every down, but players played at a high level on both sides of the ball for decades and got it done, some schools do this more than others still today.  I think the bigger problem is lack of conditioning and not the mental toughness among some players.
Also a different game than 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

jacketracket

I think you have two type of coaches.  One coach who just want to coach football, and do a good job to be like everybody else.  Second coach who wants to be great, and he puts his best players on the field which means yes you will have some play both ways.  People try to say football is different now, and we can't do things like we used to.  Football is football!!!!  A great football coach will ALWAYS get his players in shape, and be able to play both ways.  I played for a Hall of Fame coach who played his players both ways.  He averaged 8 wins a year, won 16 district championships, and won 2 state titles in 31yrs as a high school football coach.  Rick Jones played Drew Morgan both ways, and he won a state championship with him.  Gus Malazhan had a TE at Springdale goes both ways and he won a state championship.  There are many others who do this, but those two came to mind since they are 6A and 7A football.

OB11

I think a big reason you see more and more coaches playing guys only one way is because systems (in the higher classifications especially) have gotten so complex. There is so much to learn that most players would not be able to retain everything they needed to know if they were playing both sides of the ball.

I think you could definitely put a package of plays in for a certain player to get them in on offense or something like that. But to have kids learn both sides of the ball completely is asking a lot of a 16-18 year old kid that is also juggling 6-7 actual classes.

ricepig

Sure, a few schools have guys going both ways, but usually only a few plays on their non-dominant side. With so many schools running the spread and HUNH, there's a lot of plays being played, and lots of guys running deep routes in a row. This isn't 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Heck, colleges rotate guys on the D-line every few series, it isn't like they are going both ways.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas