• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PULASKI ACADEMY IS YOUR 2016 5A STATE CHAMPIONS

Started by Brian G, December 03, 2016, 06:13:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

Quote from: Old Scrapper on December 04, 2016, 10:06:50 pm
I can't believe this still is going on! I have a question would this thread be a hot topic if Wynne would have won? I'll answer that NO

Thanks.  You are absolutely correct.

walkingguy72396

Quote from: PiratePride03 on December 04, 2016, 08:56:48 am
Yall are ridiculous man!   Who cares if they changed into warm unis?  I wish we would've had that, but I don't fault them for it.   PA already plays two classes above their attendance,  what do yall want from them?   If they were moved to the 6a or 7a, they'd continue their dominance up there too.   Yall are so busy whining about them having warm unis,  that you're not giving the kids and coaches the credit they've earned!   3 in a row, while mercy ruling everyone, is an amazing feat,  no matter what classification.   This uniform talk needs to be saved for off season,  give them their props for now.  Complaining about it now,  is nothing more than jealousy.
I have been interested in this particular statistic for a bit.  PA enrollment.   How many are males attend  and out of that number how many participate in the football program. 
Even in my day in the mid 70s we had excellent atheletes who did not participate in football.

It seems to me they have as many on the team as any 5A team Ive watched and Id bet more than I see on paragould side line

JessieP

I am still not on board with PA recruits. If it is proven they do then yes, they should have the wins vacated and should not be allowed to play in the public school leagues. Mind you that is a gigantic 'if'. If any team commits such an major violation then the same fate should befall them.

I myself think PA is just playing the hand they were dealt. They do not have an abundance of athletes.  They adjust the game to fit the players they have. They work hard and are meticulously coached. There is a very obvious reason why the PA philosophy isn't used in college or pros, it won't work. You can't onside kick every time or go for it on 4th down every time when playing against top notch athletes. They have brilliantly adjusted the game to fit the players they have. They have gained some measure of National attention for the unique way they play the game but they are not considered a National Powerhouse. That alone shoots the 'they recruit' theory out of the water. They got beat pretty easily by East Salt Lake. I could find only one ranking that had East in the top 25. They are never considered the best team in Arkansas. They know they can't play with De LaSalle (California), Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas), Katy or East Plano (Texas), St Joes (New Jersey), Crenshaw or Long Beach Poly (Los Angeles) the schools are always ranked Nationally. They would get mercy ruled very quickly in those games. PA is a very impressive team but when you see them up close they are far from impressive. If they recruited don't you think you'd see a boatload of 6'5 260 lbs? They are simply a very very fundamentally sound team in a middle division in Arkansas. Their success is earned through hard work, not cheating.

They had another great season and should receive praise, not unsubstantiated rumors trying to belittle their accomplishments.

Yellowcake

Quote from: JessieP on December 04, 2016, 11:16:42 pm
I am still not on board with PA recruits. If it is proven they do then yes, they should have the wins vacated and should not be allowed to play in the public school leagues. Mind you that is a gigantic 'if'. If any team commits such an major violation then the same fate should befall them.

I myself think PA is just playing the hand they were dealt. They do not have an abundance of athletes.  They adjust the game to fit the players they have. They work hard and are meticulously coached. There is a very obvious reason why the PA philosophy isn't used in college or pros, it won't work. You can't onside kick every time or go for it on 4th down every time when playing against top notch athletes. They have brilliantly adjusted the game to fit the players they have. They have gained some measure of National attention for the unique way they play the game but they are not considered a National Powerhouse. That alone shoots the 'they recruit' theory out of the water. They got beat pretty easily by East Salt Lake. I could find only one ranking that had East in the top 25. They are never considered the best team in Arkansas. They know they can't play with De LaSalle (California), Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas), Katy or East Plano (Texas), St Joes (New Jersey), Crenshaw or Long Beach Poly (Los Angeles) the schools are always ranked Nationally. They would get mercy ruled very quickly in those games. PA is a very impressive team but when you see them up close they are far from impressive. If they recruited don't you think you'd see a boatload of 6'5 260 lbs? They are simply a very very fundamentally sound team in a middle division in Arkansas. Their success is earned through hard work, not cheating.

They had another great season and should receive praise, not unsubstantiated rumors trying to belittle their accomplishments.

My name is Yellowcake, and I approve this post.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: JessieP on December 04, 2016, 09:52:09 pm
"Get out of your "safe space", grow a set and stop being offended by crap that has zero affect on you personally."

Wow, at the end of the season we get what could very well be the dumbest quote of the year, possibly the decade.

First, how can a supporter of an elitist private school tell anyone to get out of their safe space? that entire school is a high priced 'safe space'. Coddled and pampered. Good Lord, safe space?

Second, if that wasn't bad enough they followed it up with "crap that has zero affect on you personally". Way to top the imbecilic 'safe space' comment. This is high school football we're discussing. It's not war strategy or cancer cures. Unless your a player or a coach it has no affect on ANYONE personally, none. Even if your a parent of a player it has no affect on you personally. If we abide by that rationale there would be no message board. No one would even post scores, no tv or print coverage. The people it affects personally already know the outcome so why include anyone else? It's entertainment, people are allowed to have opinions and thoughts, even though it doesn't affect them personally.

I wasn't making that statement to you, however if the shoe fits.  My point is there is no reason for supposed mature adults to be throwing a temper tantrum over uniforms being changed at halftime.  The safe space reference was a metaphor for people being especially upset, like a bunch of millennial college students.  You strengthened my case for not being offended by things that don't affect you, thank you.  The message board is a place to talk and even argue and debate about stuff, but let's be a little more knowledgeable than...OMG they changed uniforms, how dare they.  Make those elitists forfeit yada yada yada.  The last sentence was actually a tweet I saw and not posted here.

I have zero issue with people disliking PA, heck there are a few schools I don't like either, but at least have a valid reason.  I don't feel changing uniforms is a valid reason.

FD4

JessieP, the best team won, but let me enlighten you on something.  A WYNNE PLAYER, OR HIS PARENTS, OR GUARDIAN, WHICH EVER IS APPLICABLE, WAS CONTACTED EARLIER THIS YEAR, DURING THE SEASON, BY SOMEONE FROM THE THE PA SCHOOL DISTRICT.  Not saying it was a coach, or a faculty, or an administrator, I do not know, but it did happen, and the rumor was said to have offered a spot for the guy if he were interested.  I do not know if that statement meant a job for the parent, or a position on the team for a player.

All I hope is that the coaching staff here does not get irritated I put this out there. I am wondering if I am supposed to know about it in the first place. 

This same thing happened to an athlete from either Sylvan Hills, or McClellan, or both.  I talked to a Sylvan Hills fan last season during a playoff game in Wynne.  This guy told me one of their best players transferred  to PA in the 9th grade. 

In the end honestly it does not matter one way or the other.  But quit spewing out the "we don't recruit" garbage, nobody buys it anymore.  If you can line up and beat an all star team, great, if you don't, no big deal.  I do believe the two best teams in 5A were in WMS Saturday, PA won, Wynne lost.  Just how it goes.  We still cheer on our guys for one of if not the best Yellow Jacket Football Teams in the history of our school, and that goes way back.  PA DAD, you are one cool poster and I like all the posts you lay out there, nothing like a true fan of your school.  I think your tuition is a little too high, but then I have to live on a budget while assisting raising a great niece and nephew because of parental health issues.  It is tough sometimes.

Anyway, for all the bragging I have put out there for our team in Wynne, and because we lost the championship game, I will take my crow with some salt and vinegar and a taste of ranch dressing. We will be back next season.

Chip

Congrats to PA for winning the title! Also congrats to Wynne for a great season!  Depressed that the season is over and we'll have to wait for 9 months before it gets cranked up again!

JessieP

FD4, again I am not going to call you a liar. If that is true it will out. One of the reasons I post so much in defense of PA is because there is a groundswell of anti-PA sentiment out there. There is a petition being circulated out West urging the AAA to take action. If it reaches the East then they will have to look into it. I am a football fanatic that loves watching Batesville football. I moved here 10 years ago and enjoy the way they play. I do not have a child that plays or attends BHS. I think it's unfair to punish the kids, it's a crying shame. I would hate to see the PA players have to suffer if the moronic actions of a few adults turn out to be true. In west Texas back in the 90's there was a private school that was found to be recruiting. They came up with a quick fix. They ruled that if you didn't live in the district for at least 12 months you could not participate in extra curricular activities. If you wanted to attend for "academic reasons" that was fine, but forget anything beyond that. If there is evidence of contacting out of district players I suspect Arkansas will enact the same policy. I myself would have no problem with that, in fact I think it should be that way. I just don't want the players to be punished. This is only high school.

PA Dad

Quote from: FD4 on December 05, 2016, 09:51:52 am
JessieP, the best team won, but let me enlighten you on something.  A WYNNE PLAYER, OR HIS PARENTS, OR GUARDIAN, WHICH EVER IS APPLICABLE, WAS CONTACTED EARLIER THIS YEAR, DURING THE SEASON, BY SOMEONE FROM THE THE PA SCHOOL DISTRICT.  Not saying it was a coach, or a faculty, or an administrator, I do not know, but it did happen, and the rumor was said to have offered a spot for the guy if he were interested.  I do not know if that statement meant a job for the parent, or a position on the team for a player.

All I hope is that the coaching staff here does not get irritated I put this out there. I am wondering if I am supposed to know about it in the first place. 

This same thing happened to an athlete from either Sylvan Hills, or McClellan, or both.  I talked to a Sylvan Hills fan last season during a playoff game in Wynne.  This guy told me one of their best players transferred  to PA in the 9th grade. 

In the end honestly it does not matter one way or the other.  But quit spewing out the "we don't recruit" garbage, nobody buys it anymore.  If you can line up and beat an all star team, great, if you don't, no big deal.  I do believe the two best teams in 5A were in WMS Saturday, PA won, Wynne lost.  Just how it goes.  We still cheer on our guys for one of if not the best Yellow Jacket Football Teams in the history of our school, and that goes way back.  PA DAD, you are one cool poster and I like all the posts you lay out there, nothing like a true fan of your school.  I think your tuition is a little too high, but then I have to live on a budget while assisting raising a great niece and nephew because of parental health issues.  It is tough sometimes.

Anyway, for all the bragging I have put out there for our team in Wynne, and because we lost the championship game, I will take my crow with some salt and vinegar and a taste of ranch dressing. We will be back next season.

FD4, I hate cheaters.  If, in fact, PA is cheating I hope that they are caught and severely punished.

But, I've heard similar rumors in the past, and nothing was ever proved.  It's easy to post rumors, or what you've heard, with no proof.

I'll say this again:  if you or any other poster has credible evidence that PA is cheating in any way, please bring it to me and I'll report it to the AAA.  You, or anyone else, can go with me when I do it.

makessense

December 05, 2016, 11:25:13 am #59 Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:53:10 am by makessense
A few nuggets from the game:

Coach Kelly had discussions with the AAA leading into the game about the change of uniforms and they gave him the green light to do it.

PA QB(Hatcher) must like the rain - he also had a good game last year against LRCA in a monsoon.

You will not see the PA receiver with the 279 yards (Jackson) on a D1 scholarship next year - looks like he is heading to Brown.

The NLR QB(Cox) was at PA thru the 8th grade and transferred to NLR.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: oldjacketman on December 04, 2016, 09:23:14 pm
Every school's primary focus is academics. Kids in public schools have prohibitions based on where they live. 75 miles? Are you serious. Do you know how many miles a kid that plays at your average public school has to live from that school? So now that we get down to the basics, you don't want to play on the same, level playing field as public schools. How about we zone your school but any kid can continue their education there. However, to play sports there you must live within that zone. That would make all things equal. You good with that??
Are you going to charge kids at public schools $12,000 a year to make the playing field even? Because that's what a PA kid pays.

oldjacketman

Not all of them. Do not act like there's not financial assistance for some.

FD4

Dad, even if I had written affidavit, I would not submit it.  We are talking about 16, 17, 18, and 19 year old young men, trying to figure out their life at a time when there is enough crap going down in our country for all of us to worry about, not some petty rule violation.  Our guys just flat out got outplayed Saturday.  Besides, anyone could see our game. And we were able to execute on offense, not just what we typically do.  We nearly had 400 yards of offense, all on the ground.  Even our overthrown passes were just a tick off.  Good thing Hatch missed a few as well or the score could have been a bigger spread.  Your ability to shut off the corners was a big key in the game, along with the turnovers we lost which for the most part were converted.  In all, if those rumors are true, they still did not have that big of an impact.  Most of us die hard, hate to see us lose fans would be surprised to know, PA was actually penalized more than Wynne in that game as well.  Naa, if it were my son and I got a call like I talked about, yes credible, but like you say, it is rumor until proved.  It was a good game, and we are no less proud of our guys for an outstanding season.  Thanks for your support of your home team and good luck next season.

Kolsher

Quote from: PiratePride03 on December 04, 2016, 08:56:48 am
Yall are ridiculous man!   Who cares if they changed into warm unis?  I wish we would've had that, but I don't fault them for it.   PA already plays two classes above their attendance,  what do yall want from them?   If they were moved to the 6a or 7a, they'd continue their dominance up there too.   Yall are so busy whining about them having warm unis,  that you're not giving the kids and coaches the credit they've earned!   3 in a row, while mercy ruling everyone, is an amazing feat,  no matter what classification.   This uniform talk needs to be saved for off season,  give them their props for now.  Complaining about it now,  is nothing more than jealousy.
they did not mercy rule everyone the barely got past McClellan is was 22-18

PA Dad

Quote from: FD4 on December 05, 2016, 12:52:46 pm
Dad, even if I had written affidavit, I would not submit it.  We are talking about 16, 17, 18, and 19 year old young men, trying to figure out their life at a time when there is enough crap going down in our country for all of us to worry about, not some petty rule violation.  Our guys just flat out got outplayed Saturday.  Besides, anyone could see our game. And we were able to execute on offense, not just what we typically do.  We nearly had 400 yards of offense, all on the ground.  Even our overthrown passes were just a tick off.  Good thing Hatch missed a few as well or the score could have been a bigger spread.  Your ability to shut off the corners was a big key in the game, along with the turnovers we lost which for the most part were converted.  In all, if those rumors are true, they still did not have that big of an impact.  Most of us die hard, hate to see us lose fans would be surprised to know, PA was actually penalized more than Wynne in that game as well.  Naa, if it were my son and I got a call like I talked about, yes credible, but like you say, it is rumor until proved.  It was a good game, and we are no less proud of our guys for an outstanding season.  Thanks for your support of your home team and good luck next season.

I appreciate your comments.  But I stand by what I said.  I don't like cheaters.  Whether it is PA or any other school, I think schools that cheat should be punished.

I expect that Wynne will have another stout team next year.  I wish you well.

Chief_Osceola™

JessieP

Lol@Chief_Osceola, I have to admit that "not a financial advantage" post had me quite stunned. Did it affect the outcome of the game?  not even close. Is it a major financial advantage? of course. Not that posters finest moment. Until Adidas sponsors every single high school football team in Arkansas it is a major financial advantage.   

FD4

Jessie, I work as an inspector, I had a chance to meet a young man who had the supervision over a large commercial project here in Wynne.  He was only a decade out of high school and went to one of the largest high schools in Texas, played football there also.  He told me one of the sports companies outfitted their team each year with brand new gear from heat to toe each season just so their logo could be seen on TV.  What a blessing.  The young man went on to tell me this particular school had a full sized turf practice field and a large indoor practice facility as well.  Texas is kick butt when it comes to taking care of the high school guys.  No, no advantage in the game either, dry vs damp.  We did what we could do Saturday, which is less than what our guys know they could have done.  It beees that way sometimes.

Overdahill

Quote from: makessense on December 05, 2016, 11:25:13 am
A few nuggets from the game:

Coach Kelly had discussions with the AAA leading into the game about the change of uniforms and they gave him the green light to do it.

PA QB(Hatcher) must like the rain - he also had a good game last year against LRCA in a monsoon.

You will not see the PA receiver with the 279 yards (Jackson) on a D1 scholarship next year - looks like he is heading to Brown.

The NLR QB(Cox) was at PA thru the 8th grade and transferred to NLR.

The Ivy league does not give athletic scholarships

Yellowcake

Quote from: Overdahill on December 06, 2016, 03:38:52 pm

Correct, they don't. But he is going to Brown. He is one of the smartest kids and top students in the senior class, and has been accepted to an Ivy League school.

He ain't no football recruit, but I am sure glad this academic minded kid could play ball.

sevenof400

Quote from: Overdahill on December 06, 2016, 03:38:52 pm

But many Ivy League have some attractive financial awards IF you can quality. 

Kudos to anyone who can attend an Ivy League school AND get a worthwhile degree.   

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: PA Dad on December 05, 2016, 10:59:12 am
FD4, I hate cheaters.  If, in fact, PA is cheating I hope that they are caught and severely punished.

But, I've heard similar rumors in the past, and nothing was ever proved.  It's easy to post rumors, or what you've heard, with no proof.

I'll say this again:  if you or any other poster has credible evidence that PA is cheating in any way, please bring it to me and I'll report it to the AAA.  You, or anyone else, can go with me when I do it.

Such conversations are not in print so basically it is someone's words versus another.  The facts that can be discussed if someone wanted to dig would be number of financial assistance to athletes versus non athletes, ratio of football players to overall number of male students enrolled and number of transfers on the roster as compared to comparable public schools.   I do think a lot of states are moving to seperate public and private leagues.  I see that growing versus declining. 

I still say that private schools should play in the classification of what their enrollment states.   It would virtually eliminate most of these issues being discussed. 

Bruin Backer

I'm glad someone brought up Ray Jackson from PA probably headed to Brown Univ. because he represents why parents send their children to PA. Most parents in Central Arkansas (CA) want their children to be "successful" as adults. Rightly or wrongly, many parents define successful as becoming a doctor, lawyer or an accountant. To achieve this goal requires education. So, long before it is evident that a child may become a star athlete in some sport, the parent must make decisions regarding where their child might receive the best education. Parents can choose between public and private schools. The public school choices in CA are limited. LR Central is a great high school, but the elementary and middle schools are not as good. As an alternative, the family can move to somewhere like Cabot, where the high school has almost as many National Merit Semifinalists as LR Central. However, there are reasons why some families don't want to move from LR.

Therefore, their alternative is private schools like PA, LRCA and ECS that are all strong academically. This year, out of a junior class of around 100 students, PA had three kids that had a perfect score on the ACT (national avg is 1/10 of 1% of test takers).  The opportunity to receive a high quality education is the primary consideration in the school selection process. There is no question that family finances do have an impact on choice. Some families can afford PA, and some need financial aid. From the feasible options, each family tries to choose the school they believe will maximize their child's education.  In either case, the choice is made long before the child decides to be an athlete. PA does a lot of recruiting every year...of first graders.

Does the fact that a particular school has a successful football program have any impact on the decision making process? Of course it does...as does the fact that a school might also have great music and theater programs. Why? Because it has an impact on the college admission process. Let say one hopes that their child might some day attend an Ivy League college or some place like  Stanford. Let's look at Ray Jackson and Brown Univ. Last year, Brown had 32,390 applications. They accepted 2,919 (8%), expecting to enroll 1,665. Out of the total applications, I would bet at least 20,000 had the grades and test scores to get in. In such a case, Brown, and other colleges, have to find something that sets one applicant apart from another. That "something" may relate to football. It may not be that the kid is expected to actually play at the college level. Brown could look at someone like Jackson and see a student that has dedicated himself to the pursuit of excellence, and has demonstrated those skills necessary to achieve success on the gridiron, while also achieving success in the classroom.

Make no mistake about it. EVERYONE that gets accepted to an elite college has to have a "hook" beyond their academic ability. They may be a great athlete; or they may be a concert pianist or a science fair winner or a student government leader or the founder of a charitable organization. Whatever the case, they have demonstrated an ability to be successful in and out of the classroom. Does one have to go to some place like PA to get into a college like Brown. Last year, only 33% of the accepted applicants attended a private high school. Students attending public school in any town represented by the posters on this site have the opportunity to get into a college like Brown...if they have the grades and the "hooks" the college is looking for.

As a pretty good athlete in high school and a football player in college (DIII), I naturally hoped that my daughter would be a great athlete and attend Harvard. If I lived in Fayetteville, Cabot or most any other city in Arkansas, the options for her education would have been different. However, I live in LR. I had to make a choice of schools long before I knew if she would be a great academically or athletically. Luckily, I had the means to have several choices. I chose PA for her. She turned out to be a decent soccer player, but she had no desire to play college soccer. She also had no desire to attend an Ivy League college. She did turn out to be pretty smart. With the education she received at PA, she is now in the Honors College at the U of Ark. and I couldn't be happier. Would she be where she's at now if she had attended LR public schools? Probably, but who knows?

So, enough of the crap about public vs private schools. Enough about PA, or any other private school. Like PA Dad has pointed out, the vast majority of PA football players have attended PA since the first grade. Neither I, nor any other parent, chose to send our children to PA solely because of its football program. I choose PA because of its excellence in all areas. Many posters have noted what a great DC Coach Woods is but, guess what, he's also a pretty good teacher in the high school. All of the coaches are good, but PA football is consistently good because it has players willing to do what it takes to achieve excellence. Yes, many of them have access to resources that may not be as available to athletes at other schools, but it always comes down to how one uses those resources. The athletes at Wynne may, or may not have the same resources of a PA athlete, but it is clear that they know a lot about the rewards of hard work, dedication and the pursuit of excellence. They may have lost a football game to PA, but I'll bet you a dime to a dollar their players will achieve success in the future in an area not related to football.     

Life is complicated. Parents in LR must make choices based on factors not present in most other parts of the state. We do the best we can with the options available to us. Whether you love or hate PA because of its success in football, I could care less. I do care about comments directed at the PA families and students, or any other individuals. Talk about football and support your favorite team. For everything else, act like the adult you want your children to become.             

Maynard G Krebs

Very good post, and as a parent of two PA alums, you are spot on about the reason we chose PA for our children.  Both played varsity sports, which was just icing on the cake. 

Yellowcake

I hope folks take the time to read Bruin Backer's post. It succinctly states the message that many of us as PA parents have been trying to convey. Unfortunately, my efforts in that regard are a conglomeration of shorter, less eloquent, and often snarky, replies to other posters. Thanks for taking the time to craft that post BB. It is precisely why my daughters are at PA.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 07, 2016, 05:49:45 pm
I hope folks take the time to read Bruin Backer's post. It succinctly states the message that many of us as PA parents have been trying to convey. Unfortunately, my efforts in that regard are a conglomeration of shorter, less eloquent, and often snarky, replies to other posters. Thanks for taking the time to craft that post BB. It is precisely why my daughters are at PA.
I agree. It's a great post and explains so much of why people chose PA. Athletics are a very small part of it.

You mentioned the 3 perfect ACT scores, but maybe more impressive is that the average ACT at PA is almost 9 points above the national average. If you know the test at all, that is a huge number.

oldjacketman

How does PA measure up to other public schools on the statewide benchmark exams? All schools are tested at all grade levels and then compared to one another statewide, and nationally, by the percent in which they score. Those test scores dictate a lot of things like if a school is in academic distress, etc. Where does PA rank statewide?

Brandoncuv

Let me start off by saying that I go to every Wynne game and I have no son or family at all on the team so my statements are honest as I see it.

1.  Wynne fans need to quit making excuses about changing uniforms an recruiting.

2.  DO NOT defer and give PA the ball first so they can score, onside kick and go up 2 scores.

3.  We knew if our defense didn't get pressure on the QB he would pick us apart.

4.  Seemed to me Hill abandoned his type of play that got them to the finals.

5.  You can not have 5 turnovers against a team of that quality.

6.  PA's defense earned that victory.  Tayvon got his yards but they kept him out of the endzone.

7.  Yes it should have been a better game and Wynne had the talent and a true shot at beating PA.

8.  It will be a big dissapointment next season if Wynne is not back at WM again.

9.  Give PA the respect they deserve.  They lined up and smacked Wynne in the mouth.  Congrats to a quality team on a 3 peat.  That is not an easy task.  PA just keep it in your mind the whole off season Wynne is coming at you even harder next year.

10.  Would have loved to seen the outcome if both teams would have played at maximum capability.

And yall please take it easy on me cause it's my first time posting on here.

1994 Magnolia Panther Alumni

PA Dad

Quote from: Brandoncuv on December 10, 2016, 12:31:49 pm
Let me start off by saying that I go to every Wynne game and I have no son or family at all on the team so my statements are honest as I see it.

1.  Wynne fans need to quit making excuses about changing uniforms an recruiting.

2.  DO NOT defer and give PA the ball first so they can score, onside kick and go up 2 scores.

3.  We knew if our defense didn't get pressure on the QB he would pick us apart.

4.  Seemed to me Hill abandoned his type of play that got them to the finals.

5.  You can not have 5 turnovers against a team of that quality.

6.  PA's defense earned that victory.  Tayvon got his yards but they kept him out of the endzone.

7.  Yes it should have been a better game and Wynne had the talent and a true shot at beating PA.

8.  It will be a big dissapointment next season if Wynne is not back at WM again.

9.  Give PA the respect they deserve.  They lined up and smacked Wynne in the mouth.  Congrats to a quality team on a 3 peat.  That is not an easy task.  PA just keep it in your mind the whole off season Wynne is coming at you even harder next year.

10.  Would have loved to seen the outcome if both teams would have played at maximum capability.

And yall please take it easy on me cause it's my first time posting on here.

1994 Magnolia Panther Alumni

Welcome to the 5A board.  It's always good to see new posters.

You make good points.  I hope all of your posts are as good as the first one.

Brandoncuv

Thanks PA Dad.  I enjoy reading your posts.  You seem very knowledgeable and try to stay unbiased until someone just keeps blasting PA.

mack

PA dad.  One simple question from one who got burned by defending his alms mater, and then was proven wrong about recruiting transgressions.

How many of PAs football players are on 'scholarship', or financial aid?  I know how much it costs to go to PA.  Are all those athletes from affluent enough families to afford the tuition?

PA Dad

December 10, 2016, 02:27:37 pm #81 Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:29:18 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: mack on December 10, 2016, 02:14:44 pm
PA dad.  One simple question from one who got burned by defending his alms mater, and then was proven wrong about recruiting transgressions.

How many of PAs football players are on 'scholarship', or financial aid?  I know how much it costs to go to PA.  Are all those athletes from affluent enough families to afford the tuition?

I don't know.  I wish I did.

I know that there are no sports scholarships.  Actually there are no scholarships at all.  All financial aid is based solely on need.  And whether a student needs aid,and if so, the amount of aid given is determined by a third party in Massachusetts.  The third party must be one designated by the AAA(I'm not sure that's right but there is some education related entity which makes the designation).  And the third party has no idea if the student plays football or the tuba.

mack

I really believe that the private schools are the biggest drain on public schools as far as athletes.  I remember decades ago when I played at NLR, I played summer ball with really good athletes that went to Catholic High but lived in NLR.  Now you have Catholic, CAC, LR Christian, Episcopal etc.  I'd be curious how many NLR kids go to those schools. 

PA Dad

Quote from: mack on December 10, 2016, 03:12:55 pm
I really believe that the private schools are the biggest drain on public schools as far as athletes.  I remember decades ago when I played at NLR, I played summer ball with really good athletes that went to Catholic High but lived in NLR.  Now you have Catholic, CAC, LR Christian, Episcopal etc.  I'd be curious how many NLR kids go to those schools.

I don't know the answer to that question either.  I'm not much help.

I played at Northeast in NLR.  I was in the first class at Northeast.   That should give you an idea that I'm an old guy.

Yellowcake

I don't know anyone at PA who is from NLR. May be some, I just don't know them.

mack

Quote from: PA Dad on December 10, 2016, 03:24:12 pm
I don't know the answer to that question either.  I'm not much help.

I played at Northeast in NLR.  I was in the first class at Northeast.   That should give you an idea that I'm an old guy.

Class of 71 here... Ole Main

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 10, 2016, 05:56:47 pm
I don't know anyone at PA who is from NLR. May be some, I just don't know them.

I think that the majority of NLR and Maumelle kids that attend private schools are at CAC and Catholic.  I've seen a few Arkansas Baptist and PA stickers on cars but not near as many as the first 2.

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 10, 2016, 06:58:44 pm
I think that the majority of NLR and Maumelle kids that attend private schools are at CAC and Catholic.  I've seen a few Arkansas Baptist and PA stickers on cars but not near as many as the first 2.

I see CAC and catholic everywhere here in Maumelle.

I know on my street. We have Maumelle high, catholic, Maumelle charter, CAC, and an Arkansas baptist house. We used to have a PA family but I guess they moved.

PA Dad

Quote from: mack on December 10, 2016, 06:45:18 pm
Class of 71 here... Ole Main

Dang!  There's a poster on here older than me.  I'm class of 72.

Brian G

mack

Quote from: PA Dad on December 10, 2016, 08:11:10 pm
Dang!  There's a poster on here older than me.  I'm class of 72.

We're well preserved....

Grond

Something truly amazing about Pulaski Academy is the MENTAL speed and confidence of their football game.

On offense and defense, Kelley has trained these young men to quickly act on a given situation in the game. For example, the linebackers made very fast decisions on when to attack [charge the line of scrimmage]. This was also a reason why some of Wynne's more successful plays were cut-backs on up-the-middle runs.

I agree the Kelley is the Right Coach in the Right Place at the Right Time. He has players that are SMART enough to run his play systems, and YOUNG enough to follow orders without questioning them. Really not sure how successful he would be at other coaching situations (public high school or college), because I don't know if other players could handle the mental discipline he requires.

All the talk of "recruiting" and "advantage" is a result of how sports is viewed here in "our time". So many people think that success [wins] can ONLY be accomplished by superior talent. Most football teams run plays that focus on a few athletes; PA runs a system where the Favorite Athlete is the one that defense leaves open.

As I said earlier: PA's true success is turning below average players into good ones......and using them.

mack

Recruiting is always going to be a spectre hovering over private schools as long as they give financial aid to athletes.

JessieP

Quote from: mack on December 11, 2016, 03:43:35 pm
Recruiting is always going to be a spectre hovering over private schools as long as they give financial aid to athletes.
Quote from: Old Scrapper on December 04, 2016, 10:06:50 pm
I can't believe this still is going on! I have a question, would this thread be a hot topic if Wynne would have won? I'll answer that NO

Oops, wrong thread

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas