• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cross County Head Coach position is posted

Started by goldoline, November 29, 2016, 01:08:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonderdog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 23, 2016, 11:18:04 am
You would think this was true, but sadly not always so.  There are principals, AD's, and even supers who, did not spend years in the class room but rather just a few, 3-5 even.  Principals who got out of the classroom early and went into administration, particularly in smaller districts.  AD's who were not coaches ever, in their careers but principals who got the AD job to boast their pay, and the same for some supers. The larger schools get the better, at least in terms of experience, candidates.  This is where the bad hires are coming from.  People who are supposed to know but do not.  Another problem is hiring people they "know" but who are not qualified.

I can see your point on some of this. The hiring of people they "know" is part of the disclaimer i listed in my previous post regarding political motives. I understand your assertion there.

Show me an AD that has never coached in the school system. Show me a principal under the age of 30. Show mw a superintendent under the age of 40. My bet is that there is very, very few of those.

I personally do not know of an AD that has coached less than 5 years prior to being an AD. However, like you said, maybe at some small districts you might find a HC/AD that is relatively young. Probably not under the age of 30 or 35 though. If so, that person is either from there, works in a tiny district such as a 1A or non-football school, is at a school that is difficult to attract quality applicants, or has performed tremendously as an employee of that district that made them a quality candidate. JMO.

Iknewthemwhen

Well, like I said.  You would think this was true.  Not thinking too hard I know of several HC, AD, situations where they are or were very young and or never coached.  I don't think its appropriate to call them out on here so I will not, somebody may say that's a copout becuase I dont really know of any.  Well, think what you like.
I also know of a few cases where those postions were filled by people who were totally incompetent in the classroom or in the coaching profession and climbed the ladder because of pucker power.

Iknewthemwhen

Think of how many schools out there have changed coaches over and over and over.  Why do you think this is?.

RZback

Bad decisions.  Either the choice made by those who picked the Head Coach or the choice made by the coach when he accepted the job.

Wonderdog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 23, 2016, 06:34:56 pm
Think of how many schools out there have changed coaches over and over and over.  Why do you think this is?.
Depends on the school and situation. Some schools might have coaching changes often because they have a low pay scale, therefore coaches might make moves for financial reasons. Other notable reasons for coaching turnover: returning to their hometown or close to it, wife gets a great job offer, making a move to a better program, fallouts with bosses, making a bad decision (this could mean many things), etc.

greenBlasian

Ohhhhh boy!! Here's a chance to for a new coach to bring in new ideas! Possibly a high tempo fast moving no huddle! Or a spread offense? New formations, Diamond or pistol or even trick plays(Statue of Liberty) I wanna see what happens.

RZback

I think that when there is a high number of coaches leaving a school on a regular basis, there is something rotten in Denmark as they say.

Iknewthemwhen

Lots of reasons to leave and to stay.  Lots of people leaving means something is amiss. 

Razorbacks48

who are the names getting tossed up for this one?

2aball

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 04, 2017, 05:11:38 pm
Lots of reasons to leave and to stay.  Lots of people leaving means something is amiss.

Who is leaving? Is it some of their assistants? I know the Head Coach isn't trying to leave. He was just an interim this year and they opened the job up to see what kind of interest they could get.

Boss Hog

Razorbacks48

playmaker04

Razorbacks48

playmaker04

Wells from PW and Birkhead from Wynne have interviewed. There has been more and still more to come

Boss Hog

Made

Quote from: Boss Hog on January 17, 2017, 09:37:45 am
Slow news on this one
They are about to start interviews, have already sent out word. No clue who they are bringing in to interview though.

playmaker04

They have already been interviewing. My understanding is they are looking for someone with an acceptable off-season plan. Cross County has lacked this for years. Always been behind other schools in our weight lifting and off season workouts. Williams never made them mandatory. Word is if Greenwell comes up with a program in writing and presents it then the job will most likely be his. Just what I'm hearing.

Boss Hog

2aball

I think if I were trying to show a school, who's team I just finished coaching, that I wanted to keep the head coaching job, I'd have already had an offseason program running right now.

Boss Hog

Quote from: 2aball on January 19, 2017, 07:16:35 pm
I think if I were trying to show a school, who's team I just finished coaching, that I wanted to keep the head coaching job, I'd have already had an offseason program running right now.

You would think so.  The idea of offseason being an option for the kids is setting them up for failure....JMO

Dr. Defense

Yes just think of how good they couldve been these past few seasons with an offseason

Boss Hog

Quote from: Dr. Defense on January 20, 2017, 08:25:29 am
Yes just think of how good they couldve been these past few seasons with an offseason

Maybe the difference in 3 or 4 wins??

playmaker04

January 20, 2017, 01:11:26 pm #74 Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:20:03 pm by playmaker04
They do have off season going right now. I should have specified summer workouts and weight lifting weren't mandatory. That is mainly where the problems lay. That will change whoever takes over.

I should have explained myself. Of course Cross County has off season. But where most schools have a summer workout and weight lifting program in place and your expected to be there CC didn't have one under Williams. The field house would be open like 3 days a week during the summer but kids just came if they wanted too. You can't get by with that approach in high school football anymore. Cross County has had a pretty good conditioned team the last couple of seasons but I agree that if we had a summer workout program it could've made a difference in a couple of losses.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: playmaker04 on January 20, 2017, 01:11:26 pm
They do have off season going right now. I should have specified summer workouts and weight lifting weren't mandatory. That is mainly where the problems lay. That will change whoever takes over.

I should have explained myself. Of course Cross County has off season. But where most schools have a summer workout and weight lifting program in place and your expected to be there CC didn't have one under Williams. The field house would be open like 3 days a week during the summer but kids just came if they wanted too. You can't get by with that approach in high school football anymore. Cross County has had a pretty good conditioned team the last couple of seasons but I agree that if we had a summer workout program it could've made a difference in a couple of losses.

Well even still thats a crucial time to prepare for the next season.....you lose everything you gained from an offseason with little/no summer workouts

Boss Hog

Quote from: Dr. Defense on January 24, 2017, 04:19:40 pm
Well even still thats a crucial time to prepare for the next season.....you lose everything you gained from an offseason with little/no summer workouts
These days and times summer can't be an option to the kids.  You give a kid an option to work or sleep in.. Most will pick the easy way.. Just how it is

Dr. Defense

Quote from: Boss Hog on January 25, 2017, 08:28:49 am
These days and times summer can't be an option to the kids.  You give a kid an option to work or sleep in.. Most will pick the easy way.. Just how it is

Exactly

Iknewthemwhen

Better get a guy in place and let them start to implement his plan.

Made

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 25, 2017, 04:37:19 pm
Better get a guy in place and let them start to implement his plan.
any word on who is interviewing yet?

Razorbacks48

playmaker04

I'm pulling for Greenwell. His dad is a legend as the coach of Trumann. He is a good coach.

elvis26

;D I am also pulling for greenwell!!!! he is a good man and a very good coach!!!!!!

Missco

Iknewthemwhen

playmaker04

Greenwell was the interem coach this past season. Wells is the assistant for Palestine-Wheatley. The thing that worries me about him is PW fans want to get rid of him there so doesn't seem like a good situation.

big E

PW never said they wanted to get rid of Tommy Wells. He didn't apply for the Head job after he was made interim. So that tells me he was looking to get out anyway.

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: Razorbacks48 on January 26, 2017, 08:07:47 am
job is between greenwell and wells

That's what they posted the job for - to get down to the interim and a guy who saw his team implode and drop five straight down the stretch as an interim at Palestine-Wheatley.  I know a number of really qualified guys got in the mix for this, if these are the last two - wow.

That isn't a knock on Greenwell, either. He certainly has a case for the job on a full-time basis, just don't understand the appearance of a "search" if you are going to get down to him and Wells.  If they hire Wells over Greenwell, that tells you everything you need to know about committees.  An athletic director, principal and superintendent are the only ones necessary to make a hire.  Anymore and you just complicate your life.

Pulling for Greenwell to land this job, he deserves it - based off evidence on the field.

big E

January 30, 2017, 05:30:26 am #88 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:33:17 am by big E
I know Wells is a hometown guy played at Cross County. Maybe that's why he made the final 2. It was my understanding that when he was asked about the PW job that he wasn't interested in becoming a head football coach at this time. That's what I was told guess he just wasn't interested in becoming the head football coach at PW. That could lead to some hard feelings with your supt. And school board if they wanted you to have the job and some of them did enough of the board to get him hired. And you tell them your not interested in being a head football coach and you apply for a head football job. I don't care one way or the other He would have been a lot better than  what we  had but that just seems odd to me. Either way good luck to both guys.

Boss Hog

Quote from: Razorbacks48 on January 26, 2017, 08:07:47 am
job is between greenwell and wells

So now I am hearing it is down to 5 candidates.  Any idea on who those 5 are?

titan33

Quote from: Boss Hog on January 30, 2017, 08:59:34 am
So now I am hearing it is down to 5 candidates.  Any idea on who those 5 are?

Greenwell

playmaker04

January 31, 2017, 09:56:14 am #91 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:00:52 am by playmaker04
Guess we will find out Friday

Boss Hog

big E

He coached in the little Rock  school system before he got to PW

Razorbacks48

big E

From what I was told he was asked and he said he wasn't interested in being a head football coach.

big E

He's a good not great defensive coach offensively he struggles some when it comes to calling plays.

big E

Quote from: Boss Hog on January 31, 2017, 01:12:58 pm
Hearing now it is Wells from PW?  Where all has he been?
Wells told his basketball team yesterday that he was leaving to be the next head coach at Cross county.

Razorbacks48

leaving as in now? or after the season/school year?

big E

My guess is after basketball season if Estes will let him out of his contract.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas