• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sheridan HC open again (filled - Lance Parker)

Started by goldoline, November 15, 2016, 04:20:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

purpleswag

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on November 30, 2016, 01:32:53 pm
Van Pascal would be a great fit. I just don't see Harper clicking with a few of the quality coaches Sheridan needs to keep.

What makes you think Harper couldn't bring in other quality coaches to be on his staff?

Beaver Fever

whitefella1

Coach Paschal was at Sheridan as head coach for a couple of years.

AirWarren

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 30, 2016, 10:33:15 am
Bo Hembree is another one that could provide some firepower from Warren.  I'm surprised he has been there so long, but they do have a great talent pool there.  Any Warren fans that can shed some light on his situation there would be great.  It seems like he is young enough with past prolific offenses to make a move up to 6A or 7A.  I'm sure he has been contacted by schools in the past.  Does he love the pine trees that much?

Ha. Ok.

Made

Quote from: whitefella1 on November 30, 2016, 04:26:01 pm
  Coach Paschal was at Sheridan as head coach for a couple of years.
When was that? That being the case, may be the reason no one had brought up that possible scenario.

whitefella1

I think Coach Paschal was at Sheridan before he went to Dequeen. From Dequeen to Monticello where he won a state championship. He then went to Barton I believe. Good man and good coach.

Fullbacktrap75

Purple swag how many coaches have went anywhere with him, which partially proves my point.

purpleswag

December 02, 2016, 04:58:59 am #58 Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:14:42 am by purpleswag
Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 01, 2016, 07:07:17 pm
Purple swag how many coaches have went anywhere with him, which partially proves my point.

I have no idea. How many good coaches has he hired?

CoachAllen1972

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 01, 2016, 07:07:17 pm

I can remember Don Campbell leaving Sheridan for Wynne, he didn't take any assistants with him. Does that mean Coach Campbell's assistants didn't like working with him. No, Wynne had a head coach opening not any assistant openings. Or less your at a big time school, new head coaches many times do not get to bring assistants without an assistant job being opened.

CoachAllen1972

For the Sheridan Football Supporters: If not mistaken, you have two former coaches that are from Sheridan who worked with Harper in the past. If you wanted to have some sort of input about Harper you probably could get some information from them. The people who are going to be making the decision on this hire really needs to do their due diligence with the ones that are being considered.

Pat Swilling

I have no dog in fight but if Harper would consider Sheridan then you better hire him.  He has always Coached teams with semi inferior talent and always puts a product on the field that can compete with most teams. 

CoachAllen1972

My son will be playing Jr. High football next year, therefore I would like to have someone to come in build a program. From what Ive heard about Harper, Sheridan would do good to get him. Ive actually talked to one of those former coaches that worked with Harper and he had a lot of good things to say about him. Regardless who is hired   make sure its the guy that wants to be here and build a winning program.

Fullbacktrap75

Dressing 50 kids out on Friday is tough at the 6A level. The more I talk with people involved with school the more I hear low numbers and zero administrative support is the primary issue. A young man selling me cookies told me that the fundraiser was how they bought practice cloths and other basic stuff. If this is the case in a 6A school there is a major issue.

Fullbacktrap75

Harper is 96-83 as a head coach. Won 6 games this year. Was 3-7 last year. He is 20-16 at Mena. Not saying he is a terrible coach but that would seem like taking a mediocre route.

AirWarren

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 02, 2016, 05:20:58 pm
Harper is 96-83 as a head coach. Won 6 games this year. Was 3-7 last year. He is 20-16 at Mena. Not saying he is a terrible coach but that would seem like taking a mediocre route.

To me, Mena and Sheridan are no different. Other than at Mena you have about 42 slow, unathletic kids vs 50 slow and unathletic kids at Sheridan.

whitefella1

Have there been any interviews yet?

hogalum05

Fullback has made some good points once again. 1.  To say that Harper didn't have athletes at Des Arc, Searcy, and his first couple years at Mena is inaccurate. 2.  To suggest that talking to some coaches that coached with Harper years ago as an assistant coach would give you any indication of how he is now as a HC would also be inaccurate. Might want to talk to some coaches that's been under and around him since because his Rep in the coaching world is not very good to say the least.
Don't forget who the last several Sheridan HCs have been. Several have been successful coaches in other places. Campbell has an amazing resume. Known him for a long time and you won't find a better man or coach. He stuck it out for a little while but Sheridan's "problems" just wore him down. Sheridan has problems, most of which are going to take support from admin to fix and a guy willing to work and stick it out!

Road_Dogg

The new Sheridan head coach will be announced real soon. You guys better have a high powered offense that will score a TON of points. You're going to need it.

I'm sure the people of South Sebastian County aren't losing any sleep over this move. A subtle suggestion to the new head wasp about halftime defensive adjustments could come in handy. Good luck and hopefully he'll come up with a few more wins per season. Good guy overall. 

whitefella1

Really don't expect a coach to be hired that soon. Don't think they have interviewed anybody yet. I could be wrong. but I don't think so.

coachsearch

Mansfield is the only school in South Sebastian county??!!

zebradynasty

Quote from: Pat Swilling on November 30, 2016, 09:13:17 am
I know it may be a long shot but I could see Sheridan being competitive with the right commitment from kids, community, admin.  5 years ago Benton was in same boat.  Not much winning, poor weight program, bad facilities.  Benton since has been very successful.  Maybe Sheridan should use a similar blueprint?

Sheridan doesn't have anywhere close to the economic base Benton has. Grant county is a poor county. Anything they can do like Benton will be on a much, much smaller scale...even then it will be tough to get passed. Saline county is nice but an expensive place to live taxes are pretty high don't see Grant county voters agreeing to raising taxes much.

zebradynasty

Quote from: AirWarren on December 02, 2016, 05:52:56 pm
To me, Mena and Sheridan are no different. Other than at Mena you have about 42 slow, unathletic kids vs 50 slow and unathletic kids at Sheridan.

True but 50 slow unathletic kids in 6A will get you 2-3 wins a year mostly nonconference wins!

CoachAllen1972

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 06, 2016, 10:47:23 am
True but 50 slow unathletic kids in 6A will get you 2-3 wins a year mostly nonconference wins!

The school has plenty of good enough athletes that could definitely compete with 6A teams. The new coach will have to go get them. Sheridan needs their good athletes to play all sports and not just specialize in one. 

Oldbadger

December 06, 2016, 12:06:48 pm #74 Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:08:42 pm by Oldbadger
Speaking of the economic base of Sheridan, when the paper mill gets going at Arkadelphia, it will give a tremendous boost to Sheridan.  Any timber within 100 miles of Arkadelphia will be heading there.  A lot of people in Sheridan will get into that business and it will be lucrative.  That mill, along with GP at Gurdon will take up all the timber that can be cut.  This will help with the economic base there and perhaps grow the finances in order for athletics to benefit.  I can see more families moving there for this reason. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: CoachAllen1972 on December 06, 2016, 11:39:30 am
The school has plenty of good enough athletes that could definitely compete with 6A teams. The new coach will have to go get them. Sheridan needs their good athletes to play all sports and not just specialize in one. 

Being a good baseball player doesn't necessarily equate to a good athlete. Sheridan has had some success in baseball recently. I think it would be overly optimistic to believe that the 20 or so kids playing baseball ALL would be great football players. I mean 5-6 could and that would help but...It's going to take a coach the caliber of Rick Jones to make Sheridan a consistent 6-7 win team in 6A.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 06, 2016, 12:06:48 pm
Speaking of the economic base of Sheridan, when the paper mill gets going at Arkadelphia, it will give a tremendous boost to Sheridan.  Any timber within 100 miles of Arkadelphia will be heading there.  A lot of people in Sheridan will get into that business and it will be lucrative.  That mill, along with GP at Gurdon will take up all the timber that can be cut.  This will help with the economic base there and perhaps grow the finances in order for athletics to benefit.  I can see more families moving there for this reason. 

Yeah that will help for sure. Logging typically doesn't make a lot of wealth. Anything will help though but you're talking years before the area really feels the effects of the mill.

CoachAllen1972

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 06, 2016, 01:45:54 pm
Being a good baseball player doesn't necessarily equate to a good athlete. Sheridan has had some success in baseball recently. I think it would be overly optimistic to believe that the 20 or so kids playing baseball ALL would be great football players. I mean 5-6 could and that would help but...It's going to take a coach the caliber of Rick Jones to make Sheridan a consistent 6-7 win team in 6A.

My bad, I don't recall saying just baseball players. Sheridan's best athletes need to play all 3 sports. Some play none and some play one or two, need to play all 3. The new coach will have to walk the hallways and get those kids out. If he can have 70-75 out the first year, there will be depth and competition.

AirWarren

All of south Arkansas who deal with timber is excited about that new mill. Including Warren folk.

BLUEBLOOD

Not sure I can agree with your logic on this.  The wood you are talking about hasn't just been "not" getting cut.  It has just been going to other places.  Probably will take about the same amount of loggers, just sending the logs to another place.....unless this new company is also importing some land that has big timber on it already.

zebradynasty

Quote from: CoachAllen1972 on December 06, 2016, 03:11:42 pm
My bad, I don't recall saying just baseball players. Sheridan's best athletes need to play all 3 sports. Some play none and some play one or two, need to play all 3. The new coach will have to walk the hallways and get those kids out. If he can have 70-75 out the first year, there will be depth and competition.

I dunno the days of 3 sport athletes are gone at your bigger schools. Definitely need to get the ones not playing anything!

nsuqb10

Is Harper not getting this gig

Lions84

Fullbacktrap75

South Central

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 06, 2016, 10:44:51 am
Sheridan doesn't have anywhere close to the economic base Benton has. Grant county is a poor county. Anything they can do like Benton will be on a much, much smaller scale...even then it will be tough to get passed. Saline county is nice but an expensive place to live taxes are pretty high don't see Grant county voters agreeing to raising taxes much.
Almost 40% of Sheridan students live in Saline County. It's not Benton, but still in the county

GotInfo?

Next coach MUST get more buy in from administration and MUST get out the best athletes the district has to offer.  Its the only chance that they have to win consistantly.  The common factor in every coach that has won there was just that.  Kids are blue collar and will work hard, they just need all the best athletes to be in the program.  Coach Campbell did a great job with what he had and gave them the best stick to fight with because of it.  Did his offense keep some from playing yes, I'm sure it did.  But it wasn't because of how he ran the program. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: South Central on December 08, 2016, 10:24:53 pm
Almost 40% of Sheridan students live in Saline County. It's not Benton, but still in the county

Are you sure that is a very high percentage.

AirWarren

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 09, 2016, 09:56:09 am
Are you sure that is a very high percentage.

I would put money that a lot of kids that attend Sheridan do live in Saline.

South Central

Upper 30 percent of students live in East End

AirWarren

Quote from: South Central on December 09, 2016, 12:20:59 pm
Upper 30 percent of students live in East End

East end. Some areas of Hensley. Areas that are Saline county.

whitefella1

Fullbacktrap75

Was told recently probably won't be until the end of January or February before they decide. Probably not a top priority. Not real sure how districts work with bringing in a new coach. Do they have to buy out his previous schools contract, so that he can get to work? If this is the case there is no way Sheridan would do that.

whitefella1

They are probably still going down their wish list.

goldoline

Pascal coached at Sheridan for 1 year.  Both men bring HC experience.  Both are godly, disciplined men and great leaders.  One of the many hurdles the Sheridan program faces  is a huge lack of school activity advertisement in the East End community.  There are no schedule posters, no "Go Jackets" signs to be found in the community.  Only families of involved students know of upcoming games or events.  To improve this may result in more students from East End staying with football from Jr. high through their Senior year.

Sick Dog

Go over to Glen Rose and pay Kehner whatever he wants and he will turn your program around quick. That guy can coach and he would probably come. Would be a big hire if you all could get him to take that job.

Fullbacktrap75

Kehner would be a great hire, but not sure if his style would go well with the Sheridan community. I know one of the coaches on staff has ties with Kehner.

Rick Swines

Your coach will come from 15 miles west/northwest of Sheridan.

CoachAllen1972

Quote from: Rick Swines on December 16, 2016, 02:14:09 pm

Someone from Bauxite???

South Central

Quote from: Rick Swines on December 16, 2016, 02:14:09 pm

If you're implying Patton, lol no

Sick Dog

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas