• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where to Put the 8th-Graders...?

Started by x14113, September 15, 2016, 10:06:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Where Does Your School Put 8G?

With 7G
0 (0%)
By Themselves
0 (0%)
With 9G
9 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 9

x14113

In anticipation with Ozark's showdown against FS Ramsey tonight, I noticed something that could warrant some discussion.

See, for as long as I've known, Ozark, along with all the schools they played, fielded two teams in the JH ranks: a 7th-Grade team (7G) and a Jr. High team of 8th- and 9th-Graders. Of course, there is also a schedule for an 8th-Grade team that essentially acts as a JV at the JH level.

When looking through Ramsey's schedule, I noticed something different: At the listing for Ozark, the phrase "7th Grade Only" was in parentheses.

It turns out that in at least most of the River Valley Conference (I know at least Greenwood does this, too), the 8G is grouped together with the 7G, with 9G having a team all to themselves.

In Ramsey's case tonight, that meant that their 8G basically had a bye week (the fact that the Hillbillies had more players on the sideline tonight than the Rams in the JH/9G game seems to confirm this).

Which leaves me wondering: just how widespread are certain practices with each given school?

(For those wondering, Ozark 7G won 40-0, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Ramsey folks felt a bit "handicapped," since their 7G isn't quite used to playing by themselves...)

bobthebuilder

In Hampton, the Junior high team is made up of 8th and 9th grade players...the 7th grade team is made up of the 7th grade and a couple of the smaller 8th graders.

Chief_Osceola™

At Maumelle, and I think pretty much every school in the River City Conference (Sylvan Hills, J'ville, PA, White Hall, Watson Chapel, Sheridan, Fuller/Mills), each school has a separate 7th, 8th, and 9th grade team. 

beach bum

Quote from: unbiased_fan on September 16, 2016, 02:12:11 pm
Small schools generally have a 7th grade team and an 8-9th grade jr high team.  But if the 7th grade only has 10 to 14 players they will move some of the smaller 8th graders down to fill a spot

I am definitely seeing that more in some 2A and 3A schools. I think it is good to keep a 7th grade team together and let some 8th graders play who would ride the pine otherwise. It's a good thing for everyone involved because we would see more teams without 7th grade teams if that wasn't the case.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas