• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Assistant Coaching Job

Started by Rutdawg, March 09, 2016, 02:44:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rutdawg

Are there any openings that could fit a math teacher in?

beach bum

A lot.... if you teach math and have a coaching endorsement you are sitting pretty for getting a job.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: beach bum on March 09, 2016, 05:52:41 pm
A lot.... if you teach math and have a coaching endorsement you are sitting pretty for getting a job.

This isn't always the case...all the coaches who resign are leaving Health, PE, History positions open. So just because you are certified in math doesn't mean it will guarantee you a job. Plus, schools looking for math teachers need them more than the 4 or 5 periods that a coach can cover. There are definitely exceptions, and I know great coaches who are great math and science teachers.

OB11

Quote from: ReddieKnightTrojan on April 08, 2016, 10:26:01 am
This isn't always the case...all the coaches who resign are leaving Health, PE, History positions open. So just because you are certified in math doesn't mean it will guarantee you a job. Plus, schools looking for math teachers need them more than the 4 or 5 periods that a coach can cover. There are definitely exceptions, and I know great coaches who are great math and science teachers.

It doesn't guarantee you a coaching job.  But I'd be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 schools in the state have or will have a math opening between now and the start of school next year.  Even if there's not a coaching position attached to the math job doesn't mean you can't volunteer to get your foot in the door if you really want to coach.  Math and science certifications go a long way in getting hired. 

Rutdawg

20Baseball

June 20, 2016, 09:26:59 pm #6 Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:28:35 pm by 20Baseball
Your not alone rutdawg.  I have been attempting since i graduated in spring of 2014... I have applied for about 100 different positions.  I have had about 6 interviews out of all of those and no positions as of yet.  I have however, since i was not teaching/coaching, done subteach for 2 years now and been a volunteer coach once or twice.  I am currently only PE and health but getting math certification next month if tests go well.  Best of luck to u in the search for a position and hope we both find one. 

beach bum

No one likes to hear this, but have you tried 1A or 2A schools in the delta or south Arkansas? I know plenty of people that had to go this route. Even Gus Malzahn did it....Not everyone gets lucky and lands a job in the area they want.

Wonderdog

Quote from: beach bum on June 20, 2016, 09:58:03 pm
No one likes to hear this, but have you tried 1A or 2A schools in the delta or south Arkansas? I know plenty of people that had to go this route. Even Gus Malzahn did it....Not everyone gets lucky and lands a job in the area they want.
If you want to get in the profession bad enough taking one of the jobs in those areas will benefit you. Experience, paycheck, recruitment and retention bonuses in a lot of them as well.

Wonderdog

Hazen, Hamburg, Blytheville, Baptist Prep, Cutter Morning Star and Crossett all have coaching openings with math certification. Several others do not specify a field. They might say core certified or just say a teaching certificate. Call to inquire, submit an application and make them believe you want to job more than any other applicant. Be persistent, do not take no for an answer. If you simply submit an application and never follow up of the job you probably won't hear back unless you know someone already there or have some other connection. If you want a job you have to put in the effort to get it. Lots of people "want" a job but are not willing to do what it takes to get their foot in the door. Don't be one of those guys.

Wonderdog

The following websites are a good place to be looking if you have not already been reviewing them:

https://arkansas.schoolspring.com/

http://www.ahsaa.org/board

Rutdawg

I understand coaching is a club.  It's all about who you know.  I spent 9 years in Oklahoma some in college some in high school.  Thinking about going back over there. 

Some quick advice if you would should I go head and buy all this Arkansas coaching endorsement stuff if I'm not sure I am going to work here?

OB11

Quote from: Rutdawg on June 21, 2016, 10:36:02 am
I understand coaching is a club.  It's all about who you know.  I spent 9 years in Oklahoma some in college some in high school.  Thinking about going back over there. 

Some quick advice if you would should I go head and buy all this Arkansas coaching endorsement stuff if I'm not sure I am going to work here?

If I were you I would wait until I got a job and then go through all of that coaching endorsement stuff.  A lot of places will hire you and give you time to get that stuff as you go. 

Rutdawg

By the way Wonderdog legit advice!!

2aball

Quote from: Rutdawg on June 21, 2016, 02:56:02 pm
By the way Wonderdog legit advice!!

What area are you looking in? Also, what sports?

Rutdawg

West AR preferably river valley.  Football is my passion.  I have done track and jr basketball.

Oldbadger

You hit the nail on the head when you said "it's who you know".  With that in mind no matter where you decide to coach, you should start networking.  Get to know as many coaches as you can wherever you can and visit with them and talk with them.  Leave them a card with your contact info and your certifications on it.  Someone will need a coach soon that you might can fill.  It is late in the year and if a coach leaves his job now it is more difficult to find someone at the last minute.  So get to networking.  This, by the way, is true for any job.

Okieback

Quote from: 20Baseball on June 20, 2016, 09:26:59 pm
Your not alone rutdawg.  I have been attempting since i graduated in spring of 2014... I have applied for about 100 different positions.  I have had about 6 interviews out of all of those and no positions as of yet.  I have however, since i was not teaching/coaching, done subteach for 2 years now and been a volunteer coach once or twice.  I am currently only PE and health but getting math certification next month if tests go well.  Best of luck to u in the search for a position and hope we both find one.

Not sure where u r looking, but first things is , you need way more than a pe endorsement,
Even if that IS what a school has open, lots still want to hire a guy that can do more than just that.

And if u live on the border, u need to try a
Neighboring state, Texas,
Missouri
Lousinana
Tennessee
And lastly Oklahoma or Kansas
And get some full time experience

Rutdawg

Well been turned down a lot this year.  Thought that last interview was the one.  Anything left out there? Math Cert.

OB11

Quote from: Rutdawg on July 18, 2016, 07:31:52 pm
Well been turned down a lot this year.  Thought that last interview was the one.  Anything left out there? Math Cert.

What part of the state are you looking for a job?

Rutdawg

At this point in time I am entertaining an offer for Western Oklahoma.  I want to coach Football and I have Track experience.  Math certified.  I am from Russellville like anything within 2 hours would be nice but really anywhere would work.

jrhall2

Also be open to getting just a math teaching job and volunteer coach in the sports you want to coach. Contact the coaches and AD at that school and tell them you plan on volunteering and sometimes that will give you a leg up on other applicants who just want to teach

Rutdawg

I took a job at Bacone College last minute, but I hope to find a high school job at semester.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas