• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deadpool

Started by bdubyab60, February 13, 2016, 08:48:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Went and saw it. Awesome movie loved it. Other comic book movies should follow suit and push the line on the R rating.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Haven't seen it. Won't see it. Could not disagree more about your opinion on comic book movies pushing the R rating.

Black and Gold

It's rated R for a reason, it's not a little kid movie. I'm All for movies pushing the boundaries, I think it's time for something new.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Elmwood Middle School on February 15, 2016, 11:17:58 am
Haven't seen it. Won't see it. Could not disagree more about your opinion on comic book movies pushing the R rating.
The reason most are PG is to get kids in there to buy toys once they have seen it. However the main audience that goes to see these films are the fans that have read the comics for years. Most are 20-40 year males. I'm not saying all should be R but they can definitely make some of these films geared more to the adult viewer.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Black and Gold on February 15, 2016, 01:00:16 pm
It's rated R for a reason, it's not a little kid movie. I'm All for movies pushing the boundaries, I think it's time for something new.
Exactly. This one would not have been near as good without that rating. This movie hit its audience perfectly.

Don't know how the box office will do but this movie was perfect for what it was. It was exactly what deadpool was meant to be. Not that thing they put in that wolverine movie.

RTF

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Elmwood Middle School on February 15, 2016, 11:17:58 am

I am sure I will watch it eventually when it comes out on Netflix or movie. I agree with you though on the R rating thing.

Longfellow

Deadpool is supposed to push limits. If you don't make it R-rated, it's not staying true to the comics. If we get to a point where we sensor and sanitize everything for kids, it defeats the purpose of artistic expression. If I want to watch a movie that has violence and language and pushes limits of decency, I have that right because I am an adult. If we don't want kids to watch R-rated movies, don't let them watch it. 

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Ignoring all of the other reasons for the R rating, I'll just address the language piece only.  Why does a movie have to use the "F" word over 80 times and use the Lord's name in vein in order to be good?

The box office doesn't help my argument as it is the #1 grossing opening weekend for an R rated movie in history.  I won't see the movie (ever), but I just find it hard to believe that you couldn't remove the language, certain scenes, and the crude humor and it wouldn't be just as good.

Black and Gold

It's not a movie suited for everyone, I however will be going to see it this week. Will let you guys know what I think.

Longfellow

Violence, language, and crude humor is literally what Deadpool is about. He is the antihero. If you don't like the crude humor and language, don't watch the movie. If you don't want your kids to watch it, don't let them. Simple as that

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I have said nothing about my kids. I chimed in on the first comment about more comic book movies pushing the limit, which I have expressed that I disagree.  I don't care about the R rating.  I really don't care about Deadpool.  I just find it hard to believe that it has to have all of those things to be a great movie.  My opinion, of which I'm sure most of you will disagree, is that if it has to have all of those things to be a great movie, then the storyline itself must not be very good.

My biggest concern is that with the success of this movie, that other movies that I should be able to watch with my older kids (Batman, Superman, etc.) will follow suit with the language and nudity and such.  I just don't see how that would make them any better.

Longfellow

Batman maybe. Bruce Wayne is supposed to be an international playboy. Superman no. The last Superman movie, Man of Steel, was littered with parallels to Christ. Superman is a wholesome character and will probably stay that way

RTF

Quote from: Longfellow on February 15, 2016, 03:06:13 pm
Violence, language, and crude humor is literally what Deadpool is about. He is the antihero. If you don't like the crude humor and language, don't watch the movie. If you don't want your kids to watch it, don't let them. Simple as that

I agree, if you do not like it then don't watch it. I also agree with Coach, you do not have to have foul language or nudity to make a good movie. I am not into comics but I have seen enough to know what Deadpool is about and you can still have crude language and violence without CONSTANTLY cussing and nudity.

bdubyab60

I believe each movie/genre has its little groove it has to be in to be good. Do you have to have cussing, nudity and bad things in all movies no.

But if you take them out of this movie it would have been a flop. You make this movie PG13, first off it doesnt get made and second it would have been horrible. Its just the kind of character the movie is based around.

They even went a little darker and more violent with Man of Steel. It was one of the biggest knocks on the movie as Zod and Superman fought in the city and thousands of people died. Which will be one of the driving points in Dawn of Justice.

Imagine a rated R Wolverine movie. Does it have to have a ton of cussing, no a bunch of nudity, no. But Wolverine is supposed to be a BA and anytime we see him cut something off someone it grows back. Id just like to see them push the envelope on the action.

The more realistic the action and staying true to the character teh better teh movie will be.

bdubyab60

And yes for some people this is not your kind of movie. My niece  wanted me to take her and that aint happening. This is an adult movie no doubt about it.

Myself I would rather sit through something like this than to ever have to sit through a Twilight movie ever again. I thought about an eye transplant after seeing it. But even that piece of junk had its crowd.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Hilarious take on Twilight. My exact comment was that the most disappointing part was that I tried to jab my eyes out but my straw was too dull.  We went to see this as a team movie when I was at PA because there was an issue with the movie we planned to see.  We saw a lot of bad movies as a team (Punisher 2, Transporter 3), but that was the worst and its not even close.

bdubyab60

At least with the other two there is some action to cover the bad script and acting.

Ive never seen actors/actresses look like they were in so much pain when they were supposed to be in love. Im not one to kill actors on one movie cause everyone lays an egg now and then but the entire series was horribly acted and scripted.

The author that wrote that stuff needs some help. I mean, if you think about about it ole ED and jacob are straight up Pedos. Dude is 200 plus years old going to highschool to keep up looks, seriously. Then ol jake imprints on an unborn fetus, but hey shes growing super fast. If you can get past that, then we got disco ball vampires, german shepard changlings and then a fight that doesnt happen which would have been the best thing about it but technically it doesnt even happen. Not to mention 40 minutes of run time of aerial wilderness shots. I think thats what someone totaled up on th eentire series. 40 minutes we can never get back if you watched them all, I had to tune out some but I really tried to push through those.

Black and Gold

Twilight was a neat concept, but horrible, horrible execution..

Longfellow

Y'all are tougher than me. I've only seen parts of the 3rd one and that was enough Twilight for me

bdubyab60

Yeah lol. unfortunately I have seen all but one and have no gumption to see it.

By the way. Check out Bridge is Spies. Pretty good flick.

way2go

They seemed to cram as much crudeness as they possibly could in as many places as they could. A lot of it was unnecessary. There were kids, lots of kids, whose parents obviously dropped them off, they paid for another movie, then went to Deadpool. I would say that half of the kids weren't old enough to be there. If you think about it, movie theaters are run mostly by teenagers so . . .

The Future

I have my theory why it was rated R and had the contents that it did.
There are many different genres of film. Comedy, horror, action, romance, and whathaveyou. There are also your different actors and actresses who fit and for the most part star in those particular genres. Two examples: If you wanted to see a hardcore manly adult film, who would you expect to see in it? Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris, basically the whole cast of expendables, right? Ok now an adult comedy? When I say adult comedy, I mean basically half of what comes out nowdays. Cussing, sex, nudity, drugs, and all adult scenarios and jokes. Who stars in these? Kevin Hart, Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, and Seth Rogan come to mind. Another one that comes to mind?? Ryan Reynolds.
Go look at his filmography. He is a adult comedy type actor. Thats just who he is. I have a hard time picturing him in  the next expendables movie as a serious butt kicking actor just like I can't picture Stallone in a adult comedy or a kiddy movie or romance movie.
Disclaimer: Gonna go ahead and say this now. I know I know there are many instances of "serious" actors playing in comedy movies and "comedy" stars playing in serious movies. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen or it shouldn't happen. I am stating why I believe Deadpool was portrayed the way he is.
Anyways back to the movie. I am not a Marvel expert by any means, but I'm sure that a movie about a expert killing machine would have heavy consideration for a R rating. Lots of killing, blood, gore, and death along with I'm sure some cussing would lead to that. I'm not denying that. But were all the extra "adult" scenes and stuff (putting it nicely as to not get graphic) needed? Would the Deadpool comic book mention anything like that? Ryan, being his adult comedy self, I'm sure added his acting style into this movie. So we don't get a Marvel movie rated R based on death and blood and killing. We get a Marvel movie rated R based on death, blood, killing, and adult situations that Ryan is so use to playing. He turned a typical PG 13 Marvel movie into a movie that should only be viewed by a very mature audience. Someone earlier mentioned that a PG 13 wouldn't work for this character and this film. I disagree, but completely understand their perspective. If x amount of violence and the like is needed for a Deadpool movie and it has to be rated R then thats fine. But all the adult stuff could have been left in the trash and it still would have been a good movie.
Another disclaimer: Not putting all the blame on Ryan or any one person. But I'm willing to bet that had they cast a more appropriate star as a Marvel character, it would have been a more appropriate movie.

Just my opinion and I might sound a bit old fashion. But I have absolutely no intention of seeing this film. And if I had children under the age of 18 I wouldn't allow them to either.

Black and Gold

Kids going to that movie is solely on the parent and movie staff. It is not a kid movie. Still haven't seen it yet though.

I'll give you another thing to chew on. Some people like the extremely over the top and unnecessary stuff. Kinda like how some people adore Sharknado and some wish that movie was never showed to begin with. Those incredibly low budget sci fi movies are exactly what they are, low budget sci fi movies. They are cheap entertainment and some people dig that.

2 more cents

Breitontime

Deadpool was never meant to be an "appropriate" movie.

It was made, how it was supposed to be, and now they're sitting back and raking in the millions.

As for kids being there, that's on the parents, not the studio, Ryan Renolds, or anybody else. It's rated appropriately to let parents know that it isn't meant for kids.

Black and Gold

Going tomorrow at 7. Quite stoked...

Black and Gold

The way some of you talked about it, this movie deserved a higher than R rating. I thought it's rating was just right. There were plenty of things on this movie that could've been much more offensive. I got my money's worth tonight with this movie. I thought the worst part was the gore. The language wasn't as over the top as it was made out to be. I thought Reynolds played the role perfect. And seeing Stan Lee in the movie made it even better. The fight scenes were done very well.

I'd have to give the movie a solid 8/9 out of 10.

Breitontime

Saw somewhere or another, that it's been announced the next Wolverine is going to be rated R, after seeing the success of Deadpool.

RTF

Quote from: Breitontime on February 18, 2016, 02:40:56 pm
Saw somewhere or another, that it's been announced the next Wolverine is going to be rated R, after seeing the success of Deadpool.

I Thought Hugh Jackman was done with Wolverine? If they get somebody else to play that part I dunno if I would want to watch it.

RTF

Quote from: Black and Gold on February 17, 2016, 09:09:28 pm
The way some of you talked about it, this movie deserved a higher than R rating. I thought it's rating was just right. There were plenty of things on this movie that could've been much more offensive. I got my money's worth tonight with this movie. I thought the worst part was the gore. The language wasn't as over the top as it was made out to be. I thought Reynolds played the role perfect. And seeing Stan Lee in the movie made it even better. The fight scenes were done very well.

I'd have to give the movie a solid 8/9 out of 10.

I am all about gore, but I am glad the language is not "over the top." Can't stand that in movies.....

Black and Gold

I think thats where it goes wrong. They should make the movie and rate it based off of that. No need to come right out and say we're going to make it R because of Deadpool.

Breitontime

Meh', language in movies has never bothered me.

What do you guys do/where do you hang out, that that language isn't an every day occurance? Maybe I'm just around a rowdy bunch all the time.

Longfellow

All them motorcycle riding roughnecks

bdubyab60

Quote from: RTF on February 18, 2016, 03:53:43 pm
I Thought Hugh Jackman was done with Wolverine? If they get somebody else to play that part I dunno if I would want to watch it.
Think he is under contract for one more but not sure. Would like to actually see wolverine kick some A for once.

RTF

Quote from: Breitontime on February 18, 2016, 07:00:10 pm
Meh', language in movies has never bothered me.

What do you guys do/where do you hang out, that that language isn't an every day occurance? Maybe I'm just around a rowdy bunch all the time.

Language doesn't bother me per say... I just can't stand the f bomb every 2 seconds and GD is not in my vocabulary.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas