• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Public vs Private Schools Pile (Past/Present/Future/All Classes)

Started by MDXPHD, December 17, 2015, 03:12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 20, 2017, 10:21:57 am
What if the major advantage of being at PA is Administrative Management of Funds??

What if you gave the public school the same amount as private?      Would both prosper the same?   

Great points. I have long maintained that over the past five years if you took away the financial advantages PA is LRCA, Wynne, Batesville and McClellan. You could swap those 5 coaches to any school and with the financial edge PA still wins.

HowNowBrownCow

When the wrong person gets involved in this we won't have to worry about it. You know how we are all suppose to have liberty and justice for all.... Wrong minority school gets involved and the government gets involved. BAM.... we will playing freeze tag and Chinese checkers instead of football. You've all seen the white privileged propaganda...  Think about it. Look at the attention with Trump and the NFL.

Great idea.... After the national anthem all teams that get ready to play P.A. should line the sideline and kneel, Then bow down!!!!!!! News media would love that and then P.A. fans that say that there is no real advantage would shut their mouths. If P.A. fans are smart they would leave themselves out of this argument and just sit back and enjoy the success without mouthing off and getting the pot stirring.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: HowNowBrownCow on October 20, 2017, 10:42:32 am
When the wrong person gets involved in this we won't have to worry about it. You know how we are all suppose to have liberty and justice for all.... Wrong minority school gets involved and the government gets involved. BAM.... we will playing freeze tag and Chinese checkers instead of football. You've all seen the white privileged propaganda...  Think about it. Look at the attention with Trump and the NFL.

Great idea.... After the national anthem all teams that get ready to play P.A. should line the sideline and kneel, Then bow down!!!!!!! News media would love that and then P.A. fans that say that there is no real advantage would shut their mouths. If P.A. fans are smart they would leave themselves out of this argument and just sit back and enjoy the success without mouthing off and getting the pot stirring.

"White privileged propaganda"? Please continue.

rzrbackfan

Quote from: the voice on December 18, 2015, 07:48:03 am
No one said they are recruiting. I don't know who is on the team and who isn't. We were having a discussion, do all players on the team live within five miles of the school? Whatever the distant would be for a public school in a highly populated area with other schools nearby  , no because those lines would hurt private schools and possibly kill athletics at them. Your argument about being 4a , your team is turning out more college players than any 5a school on a regular basis, you want to talk about being a coward, you play in a classification where a single D1 player can make a team a contender, (hope) great example of how big an impact, while you have 2-4 on most teams , mercy ruling your opponents, think that's just fine to beat a team by 35, it acceptable, they should lay down and quit when you do this btw, you want to keep things exactly how they are , as though you have no advantage, and you wonder why the majority of the state hates your school and now your coach.  You want to rationalize you pounding teams , as long it's 35 or less it's ok , no it's not.

As I said , the success PA has had is why players choose to go there. No one could blame them.  Just like to see them play teams with similar talent , it's not the case when you're mercy ruling teams. Doesn't matter nothing will change and with the attitude like yours PA will be more hated this year because you and a couple others will continue to stir it up and this will be KK last year at PA , it's the rumor in coaching circle

This isn't as hard as people make it out to be and Private schools aren't as evil as everyone makes them out to be.  Private VS Public is a Little Rock/NWA thing.  And I do not have a kid in private school.  Look who LR private schools compete with (Central, Hall, Parkview, LR Fair, Joe T Robinson) if you were to have the opportunity to send your kid to one of the private schools in LR over these schools then why wouldn't you??  NWA is a different issue.  NWA's public schools are some of the biggest in the State.  Their is only 1 private school.  Its a numbers thing.  Parents want their kid to have more opportunity to play and be seen which is why they chose a smaller school of Shiloh then the public schools which are all 7A.  Fayetteville has 8,000 students with 1 public HS, Springdale has over 18,000 students with 2 public HS and 1 private school.  Finally in markets that don't have private schools you will normally find a public school that takes its place.  Fort Smith has to compete against Greenwood for students

HowNowBrownCow

All the NFL owners are white.... They only shot unarmed minorities...... desegregation.... etc

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: HowNowBrownCow on October 20, 2017, 11:07:25 am
All the NFL owners are white.... They only shot unarmed minorities...... desegregation.... etc

True, False, True.   Another Truth = 70% of all NFL players are black.   Another Truth = 74% of all NBA players are black.    Please continue.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: JessieP on October 20, 2017, 10:35:51 am
Great points. I have long maintained that over the past five years if you took away the financial advantages PA is LRCA, Wynne, Batesville and McClellan. You could swap those 5 coaches to any school and with the financial edge PA still wins.
Maybe but that is hard to ascertain.   Most of the basis of conversation is based on "what if".     Maynard mentioned that PA was only established in 1971 and that it has yet to reach maybe 2nd or 3rd generation of Alumni.   I don't know how much can be based on money alone.   Some schools such as Subiaco, a private school, does not prosper the same as PA in Football. They do well in Basketball.  I know that Waldron which is a 4A rural public school I read spent over 5.5 Million on a Football Stadium and just this year spent another $800,000 or plus for Turf.  I don't think facilities has that much to do with it but IDK.     

HowNowBrownCow

#propaganda is just that... Some true, some false.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: rzrbackfan on October 20, 2017, 10:59:39 am
This isn't as hard as people make it out to be and Private schools aren't as evil as everyone makes them out to be.  Private VS Public is a Little Rock/NWA thing.  And I do not have a kid in private school.  Look who LR private schools compete with (Central, Hall, Parkview, LR Fair, Joe T Robinson) if you were to have the opportunity to send your kid to one of the private schools in LR over these schools then why wouldn't you??  NWA is a different issue.  NWA's public schools are some of the biggest in the State.  Their is only 1 private school.  Its a numbers thing.  Parents want their kid to have more opportunity to play and be seen which is why they chose a smaller school of Shiloh then the public schools which are all 7A.  Fayetteville has 8,000 students with 1 public HS, Springdale has over 18,000 students with 2 public HS and 1 private school.  Finally in markets that don't have private schools you will normally find a public school that takes its place.  Fort Smith has to compete against Greenwood for students
+1

MDXPHD

Y'all think the coaching staff at PA gets paid about the same as public schools? Genuinely curious about it. Thanks.

HowNowBrownCow

PrivateLesson

I just want to get on the Christmas list!!!   ;D :) lol

HowNowBrownCow

Does Kelley teach any classes? Or any of the other coaches? I thought I heard that Kelley taught math???

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: HowNowBrownCow on October 20, 2017, 12:46:55 pm
Does Kelley teach any classes? Or any of the other coaches? I thought I heard that Kelley taught math???
Kelley is the AD and doesn't teach any other classes. The other coaches do. In fact, the previous OL coach was the best science teacher my kids ever had. The current DC is also an excellent science teacher.

PrivateLesson

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: HowNowBrownCow on October 20, 2017, 12:46:55 pm

Coach Kelley does not teach a class, but if he did my bet is that he would be great at teaching statistics.

sevenof400

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 20, 2017, 12:51:36 pm
+1 Lol!!!  It makes me bad if I like that, doesn't it?   :)

There are other lists for you, PrivateLesson.   ;D

HowNowBrownCow

I teach Linguistic Analysis. I was just curious if they taught economics, personal fitness, hard working 101, or something to that degree.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: HowNowBrownCow on October 20, 2017, 02:34:40 pm
I teach Linguistic Analysis. I was just curious if they taught economics, personal fitness, hard working 101, or something to that degree.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

They teach "How to spend daddy's Money 101"

Intelligentsia

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 20, 2017, 10:21:57 am
What if the major advantage of being at PA is Administrative Management of Funds??

What if you gave the public school the same amount as private?      Would both prosper the same?   

The school's financial situation is a very small advantage, but it is part of the bigger picture.  I'm happy to see that Jessie has taken up the same argument that I have put forward for years (?) on FF.  It's the many faceted advantage provided by wealth that positions PA to dominate; note I said "positions"..  While raised in meager circumstances,  I too have realized the advantages of success, as have my children.  Those who actually know me on this board, know that my children did exceptionally well academically, primarily as a result of the advantages they were provided.  The choice of my FF name, which includes the word intelligence,  was just a joke between friends; believe me, I'm quite average.  All that said to further the point,  it's the many faceted trappings of success, including an elevated/superior locus of control of PA families  that positions PA to dominate.  Can that be helped or fixed - no.  It is what it is.  There is no "fixing" the dominant  position PA has achieved (and it is an exceptional achievement), other than moving them out of AAA (unfairly  penalizing their students), or moving to the "success model."   I would propose the success model be applied  exclusively for private schools who participate in AAA competition.  If a private school dominates a particular sport over time, move them up, but only apply that to privates.  Sorry for another long post, but those entering late may have missed my previous lectures .😎

Overdahill

October 20, 2017, 05:27:19 pm #1221 Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:43:12 pm by Overdahill
I like the success model concept. Competitive games rather than blow outs should be the norm IMO. I feel that a lot of the discord and bitterness on this topic would diminish and some of the positives could be appreciated more.

PA Bruin Fan

I don't think any PA players or fans would argue about moving up a conference.  I'm not entirely sure I understand the process to accomplish this move, but I'm quite certain it's not PA that is holding back. 

Iknewthemwhen

Come on, private schools have a recruiting advantage, a money advantage, a discipline advantage, an expectation from parents advantage, an intelligence advantage, a motivation and committment advantage.  Did I leave anything out?

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on October 21, 2017, 05:56:00 pm
Come on, private schools have a recruiting advantage, a money advantage, a discipline advantage, an expectation from parents advantage, an intelligence advantage, a motivation and committment advantage.  Did I leave anything out?

Hot moms

Overdahill

Iknewthemwhen

Oh, man I left off the most important advantage.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on October 23, 2017, 03:20:57 pm
Oh, man I left off the most important advantage.

I didn't mention that advantage for fear I'd be blocked from posting to the FF board.  That said, it's  quite true.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Intelligentsia on October 23, 2017, 03:56:36 pm
I didn't mention that advantage for fear I'd be blocked from posting to the FF board.  That said, it's  quite true.
The PA lower school pick up every afternoon is an absolute smoke show.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on October 23, 2017, 06:34:44 pm
The PA lower school pick up every afternoon is an absolute smoke show.

This is sounding a bit creepy....

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 24, 2017, 09:56:47 am
This is sounding a bit creepy....

Not creepy at all. See below for a small sample of the smoke show referenced above.

AirWarren

October 24, 2017, 10:38:39 am #1231 Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:45:28 am by AirWarren
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 24, 2017, 10:07:54 am
Not creepy at all. See below for a small sample of the smoke show referenced above.

Plastic.
Fake.
liberals.

No thanks.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: AirWarren on October 24, 2017, 10:38:39 am
Plastic.
Fake.
liberals.

No thanks.

I can just see RedDevil and Maynard.....it's 2:55 on a weekday.....outside of the PA elementary school........they're all slumped down in their station wagon.....both with binoculors and video cameras at the ready.....eating funyons and drinking a strawberry slurpie..........giggling like two 5th grade boys.......

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 24, 2017, 10:52:39 am
I can just see RedDevil and Maynard.....it's 2:55 on a weekday.....outside of the PA elementary school........they're all slumped down in their station wagon.....both with binoculors and video cameras at the ready.....eating funyons and drinking a strawberry slurpie..........giggling like two 5th grade boys.......

You're vivid imagination reveals much.  😀

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 24, 2017, 11:07:50 am

I've watched my fair share of B movies.  ;)

AirWarren

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 24, 2017, 11:07:50 am

Maynard slumped down in his Subaru Outback giggling away.

Maynard G Krebs

Overdahill

sevenof400

Maynard slumped down in his VW MicroBus giggling away, you mean?   ;D

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 24, 2017, 12:32:44 pm
Maynard slumped down in his VW MicroBus giggling away, you mean?   ;D

Maynard slumped down in his SmartCar, you mean?

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

photographer

We can argue all day, but the most glaring discrepancy is the percentage of student athletes.  The official numbers from AAA state that P.A. (sorry you guys are just the first I thought of) has a student population of 310.67 round it to 311.  You currently field 63 players.  You cherry pick who you want from anywhere you want.  Even Greenwood, one of the premier programs in the state, has a roster of 95 out of a student body of 893. 
I have no problem with private schools.  If I had raised my children in Pulaski County  they wouldn't have attended public school.  Frustrations arise when, sometimes, private school programs don't have to address "the hand they are dealt".  Pick up a kid here.  Solicit a kid there.  We're just filling a few gaps.  This game has been going on in Mississippi for years.  Any of you who grew up in Eastern Arkansas know.  The private schools over there participate in the Mississippi Private School Association.  There are some definite power house private schools who fight with each other over players, but the point is they're private.  They can all bend the rules, give scholarships, and recruit the same way. Does that make it right, no, but it does level the playing field.  In the end he who has the most resources wins. 
I would love to see the powerhouse private schools really make some noise with the upper level classifications.  If that ever happened something would be done.  Most of the private schools sit in the middle level to lower level classifications.  You know the schools that thrive, but have no real power in the whole scheme of things.  If your Little Rock Christians, P.A., started beating Bryant, Fayetteville, Springdale etc.  heads would turn, but we all know that they stay away from that challenge...just like Arkansas stays away from ASU.  What do they have to win?  Nothing.  What do they have to lose?  Everything.
Just my take.  No hatred.  Have a pleasant day!

incogneto

Little Rock Christian isn't on the same level as Bryant, Fayetteville etc.  Their offense is but their team isn't.  PA has already beaten every 7A team they have ever played in season or pre-season. No hate just setting the record straight.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: incogneto on October 26, 2017, 09:48:52 am
Little Rock Christian isn't on the same level as Bryant, Fayetteville etc.  Their offense is but their team isn't.  PA has already beaten every 7A team they have ever played in season or pre-season. No hate just setting the record straight.

One win here and one win there isn't the point.  PA could NOT play in the 7A all season, for years in a row, and be competitive.  Can a sunbelt team beat an SEC West team once in a while? (besides UofA)  Yes, But could a sunbelt team play week in and week out in the SEC West and be competitive?  I think not.   The one-off wins don't make a compelling argument

Bruin Backer

Quote from: photographer on October 26, 2017, 09:13:09 am
We can argue all day, but the most glaring discrepancy is the percentage of student athletes.  The official numbers from AAA state that P.A. (sorry you guys are just the first I thought of) has a student population of 310.67 round it to 311.  You currently field 63 players.  You cherry pick who you want from anywhere you want.  Even Greenwood, one of the premier programs in the state, has a roster of 95 out of a student body of 893. 

Is Greenwood also a "discrepancy"? Using the percentage for Greenwood, Bryant should have 271 players and NLR should have 247 players on their rosters. Nettleton, enrollment 876, has 63 players (7%) per MaxPreps. Wynne, enrollment 809, has 73 players (9%). Why does Greenwood have so many players on its roster? Using the percentages (7-10%), you seem to be suggesting that because PA's roster is not between 22-31 players, there must be something going on.

There's a saying that some people use statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts - for support rather than for illumination.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Bruin Backer on October 26, 2017, 11:15:21 am

Is Greenwood also a "discrepancy"? Using the percentage for Greenwood, Bryant should have 271 players and NLR should have 247 players on their rosters. Nettleton, enrollment 876, has 63 players (7%) per MaxPreps. Wynne, enrollment 809, has 73 players (9%). Why does Greenwood have so many players on its roster? Using the percentages (7-10%), you seem to be suggesting that because PA's roster is not between 22-31 players, there must be something going on.

There's a saying that some people use statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts - for support rather than for illumination.

With all those stats, your PA education has been displayed well young man.  Gold star to you!

JessieP

Quote from: Bruin Backer on October 26, 2017, 11:15:21 am

I've never heard that one before, pretty good. I always use the Mark Twain quote "There's liars, dang liars and statistics". Did you know 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population?

Bruin Backer

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 26, 2017, 11:20:12 am
With all those stats, your PA education has been displayed well young man.  Gold star to you!

I appreciate your comments, but I was Little Rock Hall High School graduate (cum lucky rather than cum laude) four score and five years ago. As such, I can promise you that no one at the IHOP asks me for my ID when I ask for the Senior Citizen Discount.  :-[

Maynard G Krebs

I didn't know Hall High existed 85 years ago, 45 maybe

Bruin Backer

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 26, 2017, 11:51:42 am
I didn't know Hall High existed 85 years ago, 45 maybe
Quote from: JessieP on October 26, 2017, 11:38:40 am
I've never heard that one before, pretty good. I always use the Mark Twain quote "There's liars, dang liars and statistics". Did you know 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population?

Two more of my favorites, that are generally applicable on FF.

Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

I can prove anything by statistics except the truth.

In the "did you know" category, did you know that smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas