• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The All Soccer Thread(US soccer, EPL, European leagues, Spanish/Mexican leagues.)

Started by AirWarren, August 02, 2015, 09:00:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

Extreme bad luck for LC, as an Arsenal shot going well wide hits a defender and goes in.

Middlesbrough showed they are at least better than Sunderland.  The Black Cats fans can make reservations for Burton and Brentford next season.

beach bum

The Manchester Derby was a pillow fight. They should deduct both clubs 3 points for that excuse of what they call football..... I swear Man U is going to end up with 16 draws.

VHSCoach2

Sunderland concedes a goal to Bournemouth in the 87th minute.

That goal will confirm Sunderland's relegation.

VHSCoach2

Sunderland's relegation is a long time coming. The club hasn't even been inside the top 10 in the Premier League table since April 2012.

The Black Cats finally ran out of lives.

1-Adam-12

What's worse, they are going down and their hated rivals Newcastle United have clinched promotion.

The Magpies are really crowing about that.

AirWarren

Chelsea breaks Everton in the second half. Goals by Pedro, Cahill, and Willian.

We can taste the title now.

AirWarren

VHSCoach2

Middlesbrough tried their hardest to take 3 points against Manchester City. Led twice today, but let Man City back into it and finished 2-2.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: AirWarren on April 30, 2017, 09:58:57 am
Hurts to say this. But come on Arsenal. Finish it for Chelsea.

Never rely on Arsenal for anything.

Trust me, I know...

AirWarren

If I didn't have absolutely detest for Arsenal.....way to blow it.

AirWarren

beach bum

At this point I would put a generous number of Tottenham having about a 3% chance of winning the title. The only way they win it is by winning all 4 matches remaining to top out at 89 points. I say this because one Spurs loss means Chelsea would have to draw or lose 3 of the next 4 and that IS NOT HAPPENING. Chelsea could win 2 and tie 2 matches and both end at 89 points if Tottenham wins out. I still see Chelsea winning by about the 4 point margin they hold now. Both teams have been special this year, but Spurs drew way too many games early in the year when Chelsea was on absolute fire at that same point in the season.

1-Adam-12

The two best years Spurs have had in the Premier League will probably not result in titles.

Couple things to remember:  Boro are fighting relegation and will bring their best, and West Brom are a tough nut to crack at home.  If those end up draws and Spurs win out to tie Chelsea in points at 89, at this point Tottenham have superior goal difference.  Just something to throw out there.

If they win one of those two, Chelsea are home free no matter what, because they aren't losing to Watford, and especially not to Sunderland, at The Bridge.

In the Bundesliga, Bayern Munich have clinched the title.  It came about with the combination of their win at Wolfsburg and RB Leipzig failing to win against Ingolstadt.

Still it's a banner first season in the Bundesliga for Leipzig.  Keep in mind, this team did not even EXIST until 2009.

VHSCoach2

League One playoffs got underway today.

Bradford City 1-0 Fleetwood Town to take a crucial +1 goal differential into game two on Sunday.

Millwall 0-0 Scunthorpe United, so nothing here except one goal for either side could get the job done on Sunday.

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

Hull are back in the drop zone after losing to Sunderland, combined with Swansea's win against Everton. (Ugh.)

West Ham, Leicester City and Bournemouth have officially clinched a spot in the PL for next season.  Southampton can do the same with a win or draw in their next match.

The last matchday of the Championship is tomorrow where Brighton try to hold on to the lead over Newcastle.  Just about the only other suspense is whether it will be Nottingham Forest or Blackburn Rovers who will be relegated.  Forest is at home to Ipswich Town, while Blackburn are away to Brentford.

Technically the fourth playoff spot is still up for grabs but Fulham would have to blow a +13 goal difference between themselves and Leeds United.  It could conceivably happen, for Fulham are away to fourth-place Sheffield Wednesday while Leeds play at already-relegated Wigan.

VHSCoach2

As a fan of Plymouth Argyle, I am glad that we will be promoted to League One next season.  However, I wish we had won the league.  Portsmouth won the title based on a better goal differential. Worst way to finish in second place for Argyle...

VHSCoach2

Here are the confirmed relegations for each division (excluding the Premier League, which still has matches to play):

Relegated from Championship to League One:
Blackburn Rovers
Wigan Athletic
Rotherham United

Relegated from League One to League Two:
Port Vale
Swindon Town
Coventry City
Chesterfield

Relegated from League Two to National League:
Hartlepool United
Leyton Orient

1-Adam-12

Newcastle have won the Championship because of a Brighton goalkeeping gaffe during stoppage time.  However both teams are headed to the EPL.

In the playoffs, Reading will play Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday take on Huddersfield.  One of those four teams will join the above two.

Blackburn Rovers are relegated to League One.  This is truly a sad story about owners buying this club when it was still in the Premier League and investing in players of questionable ability while letting go proven players.  Also firing a popular manager and going through a string of untested or has-been ones.  By the time they found the right fit, late this season, it was too late to escape the drop.  They are the first Premier League champions (1994/95) to fall to the third level.

As for the League Two relegations both had been playing League football for a very long time (Hartlepool 95 years, Leyton Orient 112 years).  It may take some getting used to for those clubs to be playing non-league.

VHSCoach2

Middlesbrough must at least draw with Chelsea today to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

Chelsea is up 2-0 at halftime.

Looks at though Middlesbrough will be returning to the Championship next season.

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

Now one more Chelsea win and the title is theirs.

At the same time, Middlesbrough's relegation is confirmed.

Class by Conte, a handshake or a word for each Middlesbrough player and coach and a clap for their fans.

AirWarren

beach bum

Got to see my 2nd national team stadium... Went to Paraguay's national team stadium last summer and got to see Costa Rica's national team stadium today. It is super nice and San Jose, Costa Rica is a city I like. Big, but nothing super big like some of the other Latin American major cities I have also been. They were playing their local pro club games all yesterday too. I enjoyed seeing all the locals with their jerseys of their favorite Costa Rican club.

beach bum

Juventus and Real Madrid make the Champions League final. I believe we are seeing the two best clubs make it through. I'll take Juventus but you can never discredit Ronaldo showing his magic for one match.

beach bum

Back in the States just in time to see Chelsea v West Brom..... a win today will seal the deal. I think fittingly a draw happens today and the Blues get it done in front of the home crowd Monday with a 3-0 win over Watford as my predictions.

AirWarren

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

They have week in and week out proved they have the best team.

Not a fan, but I salute Chelsea anyway. Very deserved champions of England.

AirWarren

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 13, 2017, 01:57:30 pm
Stoke City 1-4 Arsenal  8)

Gunners creeping up on the Top 4...

Arsenal and Liverpool both have very winnable matches left.... Liverpool I think will crack and allow some goals and draw a game in there. It is all going to come down to Arsenal v Everton the last match of the year. The goal differential helps Man City with its 3 point lead over Arsenal. I think its coming down to Liverpool and Arsenal in a tight race for 4th.

beach bum

How about Swansea City getting it done the last two weeks..... The Hull City v Crystal Palace match means so much. I'll take Palace 2-1 over Hull.

Longfellow

I had a dream last night that Crystal Palace beat Hull 5-0. So close

VHSCoach2

With the 4-nil loss to Crystal Palace today, Hull City joins Middlesbrough and Sunderland in relegation to the Championship.

beach bum

The 3 clubs I wanted to be relegated were relegated so I am happy.....

1-Adam-12

The last game for Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane is about to start. 

It is fitting that one of the "big" clubs, Manchester United, are the visitors. It just wouldn't be the same if it were, say, Burnley, as the guests.  (No disrespect to the Clarets, whose staying up is a story in itself.)

2,533 games there since 1899.  Spurs will play at Wembley next season before moving into their new stadium for 18-19.

WPWells

Great win for Liverpool today. Just have to beat Middlesbrough and we're back to the UCL

AirWarren

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on May 14, 2017, 12:04:26 pm
Great win for Liverpool today. Just have to beat Middlesbrough and we're back to the UCL

I hope their big 3 attacking players can all stay healthy at the same time next year.... That was the problem this year for sure.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: AirWarren on May 14, 2017, 01:28:31 pm
Awesome reception to close out white hart lane.

Complete with a rainbow over the cockerel on top of the stands.  Very nice indeed.

AirWarren

beach bum

1-Adam-12

We have a team moving from Non-League to League for the very first time.

Congratulating Forest Green Rovers on their playoff win!  They'll play in League Two next season.

The town they are in is the size of MENA, folks.

beach bum

Arsenal takes care of business today and sits 1 point out behind Liverpool for the last Champions League spot. Chelsea clinched the title, Spurs 2nd, and Man City certainly has 3rd in the bag because they would have to lose to Watford and then Arsenal and Liverpool win by big margins to drop out of 3rd. That leaves it down to what looks like Liverpool and Arsenal in the tight 4th place battle. Middlesbrough really mucked up a lot of draws early in the season so it is not out of the question for them to do so. However, they have been as bad as Sunderland the 2nd half of the season so I think Liverpool wins something like 2-0. Then Arsenal I think can get a win even against a sometimes quite good Everton side. That one will be the best match to watch the final day of the season as far as competitive wise.

AirWarren

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on May 16, 2017, 09:11:25 pm
And Manchester United misses the cut.

:D

I think Ajax is going to take them in the Europa League final too....

VHSCoach2

Quote from: AirWarren on May 16, 2017, 09:11:25 pm
And Manchester United misses the cut.

:D

I may not like Chelsea, nor you Arsenal, but at least we have a mutual disdain for Manchester United  :)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas