• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FRIDAY NIGHT TYKES

Started by WCD, January 08, 2014, 09:58:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WCD

Has anyone seen the Friday Night Tykes trailer? It terrible. This is a premier 8-9 year old football league in Texas. They talk about hurting other players, making them cry, etc. It shows two head to head contact plays.

I played on a undefeated football team that was as tough as any team in the state of Mississippi. We had a teammate who broke his neck and damaged his spinal cord due to a head to head tackle. I have seen first hand the terrible damage/injury of a head to head tackle can do.

I would never allow my young sons to play for anyone who proposed violence and this type of play.

I am disgusted that grown men would act this way!

WCD ;D

Lions84

Yep it sad to see someone get hurt and it is bad to see Adults promoting this at the Pee Wee Level.  I was taught to use my helmet but that was in HS not pee wee.

Jimbo Morphis

personally i don't think 8-9 year olds should be playing in full pads.

WCD

Quote from: Oldman on January 08, 2014, 11:02:24 am
personally i don't think 8-9 year olds should be playing in full pads.

I agree!. My sons played flag football until Jr. High football began.

WCD ;D

DeeGee

I agree yet disagree. My son has played full contact football since he was 8. But not in a league where they allowed over aggression.  It did prepare him more for Jr High and high school football. Also they was taught to respect the players on the other team. I've not heard of this show/movie your talking about so I have no opinion on that. But there are good and bad to any sport. There's a lot of high school kids that ruin their life or lose their life for the game. So this could be debated a million different ways. I don't think k I'm a bad parent because I let him play full pad/contact football at an early age. I know folks will disagree but it was my and his choice.  And I think k his grown up to be an amazing young man

OLDSCHOOL82

That show depicts the worst of the worst and thats why it is on the air.  Ratings!  My opinion:  There is nothing wrong with full contact youth football.  Yes you can have a major injury but kids can have those doing anything.  Its better than sitting in front of their computer, i pad, i phone, tv, or game console all day.  Sports in general at the youth level are way more dangerous nowadays due to the pressure to be advanced at an early age and that comes from the parents.  Thats why you see so many injuries in youth that you used to not see until sr high ball.  Its all about who is coaching and pushing the young athletes.  There are great coaches/parents who do excellent, know what they are doing, and know the childs limits.  And then their are also morons like on that show that are just that, morons.  Usually living out their shortcomings of their dreams by pushing thier kids or youth athletes.  With all that being said all youth sports are great for kids.  Sports teach many things.  But, just because a kid is good or not good at the youth level does not necessarily mean they will be successfull or not as they mature.  Its just a small indicator of what they can do later.  Their are way too many things that their young bodies cant do because they arent developed yet. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: DeeGoldie on January 08, 2014, 03:25:31 pm
I agree yet disagree. My son has played full contact football since he was 8. But not in a league where they allowed over aggression.  It did prepare him more for Jr High and high school football. Also they was taught to respect the players on the other team. I've not heard of this show/movie your talking about so I have no opinion on that. But there are good and bad to any sport. There's a lot of high school kids that ruin their life or lose their life for the game. So this could be debated a million different ways. I don't think k I'm a bad parent because I let him play full pad/contact football at an early age. I know folks will disagree but it was my and his choice.  And I think k his grown up to be an amazing young man
there is no right or wrong. i choose not to let my 9 year old play full contact football. one of the problems i have with youth football is smaller kids getting creamed by kids that weigh 75 lbs. more. that kids quits playing football and ends up being a great athlete as an 11th grader. there are good youth programs that limit these things. mcgehee goes and plays other teams where 60 lb. cornerbacks are told to come up and tackle 140 lb. running backs. many years ago i coached 5th and 6th grade football. many of the peewee studs quit growing and didn't start in sr. high.

Lions84

Quote from: Oldman on January 09, 2014, 10:03:53 am
Quote from: DeeGoldie on January 08, 2014, 03:25:31 pm
there is no right or wrong. i choose not to let my 9 year old play full contact football. one of the problems i have with youth football is smaller kids getting creamed by kids that weigh 75 lbs. more. that kids quits playing football and ends up being a great athlete as an 11th grader. there are good youth programs that limit these things. mcgehee goes and plays other teams where 60 lb. cornerbacks are told to come up and tackle 140 lb. running backs. many years ago i coached 5th and 6th grade football. many of the peewee studs quit growing and didn't start in sr. high.

Or worse to me they get burned out and stop playing by 9th grade.

OLDSCHOOL82

In our local program a kid getting burned out is rare.  Pee Wee football is not gonna make or break a kids football career so to each his own. 

Lions84

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 16, 2014, 08:38:31 am
In our local program a kid getting burned out is rare.  Pee Wee football is not gonna make or break a kids football career so to each his own. 

Good but down here in TX we are seeing this and it is bad   Two 8th grade teams of 60 kids total and only 15-20 sign up for Freshman football.

OLDSCHOOL82

Texas high school football as a whole goes to a lot larger level then football in arkansas.  It doesnt look like its hurt Texas too bad.

Lions84

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 27, 2014, 03:36:46 pm
Texas high school football as a whole goes to a lot larger level then football in arkansas.  It doesnt look like its hurt Texas too bad.

In some places it has not but in our county for some reason we are seeing a large drop off after 8th grade from kids who played Pee Wee from 1st -8th grade.  I go to church with several coachs from 3-5A schools and they are seeing the same thing.   One 4A district had 300 kids playing over 3 Jr Highs and had 120 show up for Freshman Football.  By their 10 grade year the numbers had dropped to 80.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Lions84 on January 31, 2014, 12:11:02 pm

In some places it has not but in our county for some reason we are seeing a large drop off after 8th grade from kids who played Pee Wee from 1st -8th grade.  I go to church with several coachs from 3-5A schools and they are seeing the same thing.   One 4A district had 300 kids playing over 3 Jr Highs and had 120 show up for Freshman Football.  By their 10 grade year the numbers had dropped to 80.

Here is another one of my opinions.  First i have watched a few episodes of little tykes and some of what those guys do with discipline is a good thing, but overall they are idiots.  But on to the low numbers thing.  This is all over including here just not on the same scale as you guys.  50 rostered football players in sr high is big for us.  45 ish is the norm.  If you are involved with youth at all you will see this.  Our society is and has been for several years, been teaching kids that everyone is a winner and you dont have to work hard to achieve what you want.  It is in youth, and adults.  The everbody is a winner mentality, there arent any losers, is a joke and is not the way the real world is so why do they teach youth that.  There should be no participation trophies to keep from hurting little billy or little susies feelings. They need to learn how to work towards their goals and the sooner they learn how to lose they will learn how to work and be successfull.  I know thats kind of a ramble but what im meaning is that the reason you guys are seeing less numbers as they age is because the competition becomes stiffer.  The ones that want it stay and the ones that dont like having to work for something just quite.  We see 8th graders and then again 10th graders that wont play football due to the fact they think they will not be in the spotlight or play as much as they would like.  Then as 9th graders and jrs they will come back out because they expect to play more.  They arent willing to put in the work or the challenge of being the underclassmen.  Just some of my thoughts on the topic.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 31, 2014, 12:38:47 pm

Here is another one of my opinions.  First i have watched a few episodes of little tykes and some of what those guys do with discipline is a good thing, but overall they are idiots.  But on to the low numbers thing.  This is all over including here just not on the same scale as you guys.  50 rostered football players in sr high is big for us.  45 ish is the norm.  If you are involved with youth at all you will see this.  Our society is and has been for several years, been teaching kids that everyone is a winner and you dont have to work hard to achieve what you want.  It is in youth, and adults.  The everbody is a winner mentality, there arent any losers, is a joke and is not the way the real world is so why do they teach youth that.  There should be no participation trophies to keep from hurting little billy or little susies feelings. They need to learn how to work towards their goals and the sooner they learn how to lose they will learn how to work and be successfull.  I know thats kind of a ramble but what im meaning is that the reason you guys are seeing less numbers as they age is because the competition becomes stiffer.  The ones that want it stay and the ones that dont like having to work for something just quite.  We see 8th graders and then again 10th graders that wont play football due to the fact they think they will not be in the spotlight or play as much as they would like.  Then as 9th graders and jrs they will come back out because they expect to play more.  They arent willing to put in the work or the challenge of being the underclassmen.  Just some of my thoughts on the topic.
kids haven't changed, parents have.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Oldman on January 31, 2014, 01:22:47 pm

Yes and no.  Kids are still kids but this has been going on awhile and some of the young parents are students of this.  So they in return raise their kids this way.  Can you honestly tell me that kids are the same now as they where 20 years ago?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 31, 2014, 01:37:59 pm

Yes and no.  Kids are still kids but this has been going on awhile and some of the young parents are students of this.  So they in return raise their kids this way.  Can you honestly tell me that kids are the same now as they where 20 years ago?
no they're not but it's because of the parents. mine had a choice sports or work. he chose football and baseball and worked during the summer around football workouts. one of the choices wasn't quit and stay home and play video games.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Oldman on January 31, 2014, 01:51:33 pm
Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on January 31, 2014, 01:37:59 pm

no they're not but it's because of the parents. mine had a choice sports or work. he chose football and baseball and worked during the summer around football workouts. one of the choices wasn't quit and stay home and play video games.

Exactly, i have 3 boys and they all work hard and play many sports.  The norm nowadays is to be lazy, play video games, and not work hard for anything. The kids are molded by the parents and this is a hard cycle to break. 

Lions84

Yep that is we hased out over at the Cafe.  It is a Momma and Daddy issue.

Lions84

Tried it again and still hate it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas