• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cedarville

Started by whippersnapper, December 27, 2013, 01:36:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

whippersnapper

Saw on the triple a website that the Head job was open. Why can't they keep a coach?

Tripod1

You ever been to Cedarville?  Just drive through and you'll get your answer!

4AWhistler

Quote from: Tripod1 on December 27, 2013, 08:37:01 am
It's only 10 miles from Van Buren; not like it's cut off from civilization!  I bet there are other issues.

adaptedtigerfan

Coach Shelton that has just left...  His son will graduate in May...  I'm sure he is retiring.

whippersnapper

I have been to a couple basketball games their so I know they support the basketball team.

Tripod1

Quote from: 4AWhistler on December 27, 2013, 10:09:27 am
It's only 10 miles from Van Buren; not like it's cut off from civilization!  I bet there are other issues.
You're right.  Just trying to be funny.  They support basketball really well and have been pretty good in BB.  Had a couple of good FB teams a few years back.  Most likely one of those places that launches a young coach to the next level. 

ATU

Quote from: Tripod1 on December 27, 2013, 04:42:10 pm
You're right.  Just trying to be funny.  They support basketball really well and have been pretty good in BB.  Had a couple of good FB teams a few years back.  Most likely one of those places that launches a young coach to the next level.
Well he had 20 SRS. on this years team and didn't make the playoffs and the JR. high team was horrible so he new he wasn't going to win anytime soon.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ATU on December 27, 2013, 05:15:23 pm
Quote from: Tripod1 on December 27, 2013, 04:42:10 pm
Well he had 20 SRS. on this years team and didn't make the playoffs and the JR. high team was horrible so he new he wasn't going to win anytime soon.

He had a decent team before the Forfeit stuff....And the crowd traveled pretty well to the Atkins game this year....

loyal fan

Coach Venny Slocombe

I heard that Dayton Kitchens submitted his resume...

athletic supporter

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 27, 2014, 03:08:28 pm
I heard that Dayton Kitchens submitted his resume...

That's shocking!

(Sarcasm ends now)

Man of Steel

Are they interviewing yet? I haven't heard a lot about the progression.

we_hate_the_band

February 18, 2014, 11:35:01 am #12 Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:41:03 am by we_hate_the_band
Quote from: Man of Steel on February 04, 2014, 12:45:36 pm
Are they interviewing yet? I haven't heard a lot about the progression.

They've got their man. Big time hire.

Edit: it's not our favorite literary snob

Ffffan29

Coach Venny Slocombe

I heard Kevin Lea from Lavaca...don't know for sure as my source in this one is pretty unreliable... ;D

Beaver Fever

That's not a big time hire

loyal fan

gamer

anyone know anything about Lea? Anything would be better than the dumpster fire of a coach they had before but just trying to get a little info.

YouBetterCallSomebody

Just curious. How was he a dumpster fire?

gamer

I typed about a paragraph on this and deleted it. I would rather just forget the experience that me as a fan and my child as a player had to go through. It wasn't coaching ability. There were integrity issues and the inability to overcome adversity. It was just a very disappointing experience, I had originally hoped for a lot more from him. The record was disappointing but had nothing to do with our views of him here in Cedarville.

YouBetterCallSomebody

What issues? From what I have heard the players loved him. Winning in close games takes time, espically if the program does not have a tradition of success. The kids get down and dont have the confidence that they can come back. I also know that injuries, espically at small schools, can have a dramatic impact on the teams success. From what I read, I think they lost a lineman to injury(knee i think?) about mid season. They started out 5-0 until that injury and the forfeit fiasco.

curiousgeorge

Quote from: YouBetterCallSomebody on February 21, 2014, 11:56:54 am
What issues? From what I have heard the players loved him. Winning in close games takes time, espically if the program does not have a tradition of success. The kids get down and dont have the confidence that they can come back. I also know that injuries, espically at small schools, can have a dramatic impact on the teams success. From what I read, I think they lost a lineman to injury(knee i think?) about mid season. They started out 5-0 until that injury and the forfeit fiasco.

gamer is spot on.  Playoffs in 4 straight seasons before Shelton took over, he made the playoffs 1 time in 3 years.  The integrity issues gamer speak about divided the football team and the athletic department as a whole.  Injuries had nothing to do with the collapse this past year.  The forfeit situation was unfortunate and trainwrecked their season.  If Shelton been able to lead his players instead of looking for people to blame the season would have been saved and Cedarville would have been in the playoffs.

footballguy33

Quote from: curiousgeorge on February 21, 2014, 01:29:07 pm
Quote from: YouBetterCallSomebody on February 21, 2014, 11:56:54 am

gamer is spot on.  Playoffs in 4 straight seasons before Shelton took over, he made the playoffs 1 time in 3 years.  The integrity issues gamer speak about divided the football team and the athletic department as a whole.  Injuries had nothing to do with the collapse this past year.  The forfeit situation was unfortunate and trainwrecked their season.  If Shelton been able to lead his players instead of looking for people to blame the season would have been saved and Cedarville would have been in the playoffs.

to be fair the two years before shelton they went to the playoffs with 3 and 4 wins respectively.  Shelton had two 5 seasons of five wins with teams that most thought wouldn't win a game.

Jalkuranis

I don't know about how Cedarville's team was last year but I do know that Coach Lea is a defensively minded coach. Look for them to be well versed in the different schemes they will need to employ to counter any offense that comes against them. He is also a old school ground and pound kind of man (at least from when I have spoken with him) so look for an offense that is centered around that.

gamer

Like I originally said, no matter if we won 8 games or zero. It was very disappointing to see the inability to deal with adversity. Shelton was without a doubt the most childish, immature member of the team. Quitting your job on the field after a game with three games left in season, or telling lies about kids on the team to make another coach look bad. That is a couple of the better things that took place this season. Shelton did have adversity to deal with, but when the going got tough he fell apart. I do feel we should have won for games but fact is, that has nothing to do with the disappointment we have in him. As far as I am concerned , Texas is not far enough!

YouBetterCallSomebody

Quote from: gamer on February 21, 2014, 02:52:52 pm
Like I originally said, no matter if we won 8 games or zero. It was very disappointing to see the inability to deal with adversity. Shelton was without a doubt the most childish, immature member of the team. Quitting your job on the field after a game with three games left in season, or telling lies about kids on the team to make another coach look bad. That is a couple of the better things that took place this season. Shelton did have adversity to deal with, but when the going got tough he fell apart. I do feel we should have won for games but fact is, that has nothing to do with the disappointment we have in him. As far as I am concerned , Texas is not far enough!
Again, what lies did he tell? Sounds like you were on the field with the entire team after every game. If you have factual things he did or said, say it. I know for a fact he did not quit on the field after a game in front of the kids and to even say such a thing is ridiculous.

Snakecharmer59

Whatever the circumstances, Kevin Lea is a Positive replacement. He will bring integrity and enthusiasm to a team that has a low moral at this time.

Fatfullback

Cedarville Pirates2-8-0 (1-6)
09-06   Mountainburg   W, 51 - 6   
09-13   at Conway Christian   W, 26 - 21   
09-20   Waldron   W, 33 - 26   
09-27   at Atkins   W, 21 - 20   0
10-04   at Danville   W, 46 - 19   13
10-11   Lamar   L, 12 - 28   
10-18   Paris   L, 14 - 22   
10-25   at Mansfield   L, 26 - 33   
11-01   Charleston   L, 6 - 46   
11-08   at Lavaca   L, 27 - 34   

Scores from the season under Shelton. Looks like Lamar and Charleston were the only games where they didn't have a chance to win, could've been 8-2 without the forfeits and had possibly a third seed in the playoffs. That was definitely tough to recover from after such a great start to the first half of the season. 

AnotherTurfMonkey

Horrible job
Horrible field
Horrible visitor stands
Horrible , horrible, horrible.

Jus sayin

DogsWin7

February 28, 2014, 08:19:16 am #29 Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:20:49 am by DiehardFBfan
When I was at Cedarville last.....a few yrs ago...I had to wade thru mud and sit on wooden bleachers.   You had to walk across to the home side if you needed to use the restroom.....the good thing I did like is that you felt like you were in the game...literally!   You sit right on the field practically.     I do think they were in the middle of making some improvements though.   

Coach Jones

Quote from: Fatfullback on February 27, 2014, 03:28:44 pm

Scores from the season under Shelton. Looks like Lamar and Charleston were the only games where they didn't have a chance to win, could've been 8-2 without the forfeits and had possibly a third seed in the playoffs. That was definitely tough to recover from after such a great start to the first half of the season. 

I can tell you they were closer than the score against Lamar.  We had a 14-12 lead with 2 min or so left in the game, and scored twice. 

Kevin Lea will be great for Cedarville.  He is a great guy that is a natural leader.  The kids there will enjoy playing for him, and will play their tails off for him. 

Great guy, and great hire.

cedarvillepirate56

As a player I felt (senior this year) that we were looked down at for playing football and I loved the sport and been playing since I was in kindergarten, originally from greenwood, so when I came here it was a culture shock. I hate when people say our coach brain washed us. Mark Shelton is a good man and he gave us a positive outlook of our school when we went 0-10 my sophomore year and we were made fun of all the time by everyone who was not in football including the basketball team, but we made the best student section and went as far as Fordyce just to cheer the basketball team on, thanks to a man named Mark Shelton. We had guy's bad mouth basketball and he would stop them.  But as this season went on we had a bull's-eye on are back, and at sometimes it felt like the coaches and team is all we had.  And I know one of the guys talking crap about coach Shelton is coach fincher the one who said previously the year before that the team was dragging his son down and we didn't throw the ball enough to him when he had the most receptions in the state.  When people grow up in the administration then we will have a good football team and I wish the best for everyone in Cedarville because it's called school spirit and as far as calling people out its funny they call him out when he is in Texas.

Snakecharmer59

I have been pretty close to the Cedarville School System for the last 30 years. I have seen several Coaches come and I have seen them go. Cedarville has had the opportunity to have some really good ones both in the past and in the present.It's sad that what I see is a school divided. In talking with the youth of the school , it is very clear that The former Football coach thrived on isolating "his" football program and "his" kids. Most of The football kids have bought into every word this man breathed, and they should be able to believe what a coach tells them. Therein lies the problem, at Cedarville apparently they should not have been so trusting. I wish Coach all the success in Cumby Texas in whatever capacity he's in. I also wish Coach Lea all the successin Cedarville even if its the Worst field, worst visitors side, and the worst job in America. One more thing, thanks to the administration for ALL you have done to further Cedarville Football.

footballguy33

the really bad thing is it was also divided at the end of Guthrie's term as coach, under coach Moore as well. 

DogsWin7

Welcome to FF  cedarvillepirate and snakecharmer!

YouBetterCallSomebody

Quote from: Snakecharmer59 on February 28, 2014, 12:45:37 pm
I have been pretty close to the Cedarville School System for the last 30 years. I have seen several Coaches come and I have seen them go. Cedarville has had the opportunity to have some really good ones both in the past and in the present.It's sad that what I see is a school divided. In talking with the youth of the school , it is very clear that The former Football coach thrived on isolating "his" football program and "his" kids. Most of The football kids have bought into every word this man breathed, and they should be able to believe what a coach tells them. Therein lies the problem, at Cedarville apparently they should not have been so trusting. I wish Coach all the success in Cumby Texas in whatever capacity he's in. I also wish Coach Lea all the successin Cedarville even if its the Worst field, worst visitors side, and the worst job in America. One more thing, thanks to the administration for ALL you have done to further Cedarville Football.

Like that field house that has been promised to the football staff since Guthrie was there...Oh wait there isnt one unless you count the elementary lobby

DogsWin7

Quote from: YouBetterCallSomebody on February 28, 2014, 01:08:35 pm

Like that field house that has been promised to the football staff since Guthrie was there...Oh wait there isnt one unless you count the elementary lobby

Youbettercallsomebody to help you with the quote feature.....:)  just kidding!

All kinds of pirates showing up today!!!   Argh....lol!! 

Snakecharmer59

Do you actually know a Coach that has been promised a fieldhouse at Cedarville ? I didn't think so !The talk about a Coach paying for Turf out of his own picket has made the rounds though !

DogsWin7

TheWayItIs

Quote from: footballguy33 on February 28, 2014, 01:00:03 pm
the really bad thing is it was also divided at the end of Guthrie's term as coach, under coach Moore as well.

Nothing was divided at the end of Coach Guthrie's "term".  Coach Guthrie was upset because they hired a social studies teacher that didn't know jack about football to be his asst. coach.  Coach Guthrie wanted certain things done to improve the football program, things that have now been addressed.  The football team would have a fieldhouse right now if the coaches that are currently on staff could have been trusted.  That's a fact.  If you don't believe me ask any school board member of your choosing.  Coach Moore was in over his head. 

The Coach

Coach Lea will do a Solid job!!! Very intelligent man that knows his stuff on the football field. Nobody will be more prepared then coach Lea and Cedarville moving forward. Congrats Kevin Lea well deserved!!!

Pirates1265

This thread was started with the question Why can't they keep a coach? I guess the last few quotes have answered that question. For anyone to suggest that the Cedarville football program has not improved leaps and bounds over the last two seasons just shows a serious lack of football knowledge.  I also feel that the "social studies teacher" has become one pretty good coach! Not to mention, for Curiousgeorge and gamer to question anyones integrity is comical.

Now Cedarville has some of the hardest working kids around.  The community itself supports and follows the football program (and other sports) very well too.  The OBVIOUS problems after reading these posts would be the war between football and basketball that has been going on for years and the lack of leadership in the administration.

With this said Cedarville has hired the right man for the job.  He has ties with the current principal. (if he stays) So he should get the support from the administration.  A move from a slaughterhouse district into a much weaker one should produce more wins and playoff trips.  The "social studies teacher" has been putting off season through a great program and they are getting stronger and faster. The only thing left is to stop the childish fighting and jealousy and get behind coach Lea and the players and enjoy some football.

Good Luck Coach Lea and Pirates!   

OLDSCHOOL82

Probably boils down to the admin or school board.  Their job is to hire the right man for the job and turn him loose.  Is there any micromanaging going on from the board, sup, ad, etc?

alaskanstorm

Quote from: Coach Jones on February 28, 2014, 11:06:10 am

I can tell you they were closer than the score against Lamar.  We had a 14-12 lead with 2 min or so left in the game, and scored twice. 

Kevin Lea will be great for Cedarville.  He is a great guy that is a natural leader.  The kids there will enjoy playing for him, and will play their tails off for him. 

[/quote
Please your gonna make him your whipping boy.  We all know lea is a basketball guy.

athletic supporter

Quote from: alaskanstorm on March 01, 2014, 08:46:33 pm
Quote from: Coach Jones on February 28, 2014, 11:06:10 am

[/quote
Please your gonna make him your whipping boy.  We all know lea is a basketball guy.

Unless they schedule them as a non-conference game (which I don't see Lea doing), they won't play Lamar. Cedarville moves out of the 4-3A next year.

alaskanstorm

non conference, conference, playoffs, doesn't matter the docs whipping boy. 

athletic supporter

Quote from: alaskanstorm on March 02, 2014, 09:29:01 am
non conference, conference, playoffs, doesn't matter the docs whipping boy. 

You are assuming Lamar will make the playoffs next season. The Warriors lose ALOT off last year's team. They will probably be fighting for the 5 seed.

YouBetterCallSomebody

Quote from: TheWayItIs on February 28, 2014, 11:36:27 pm
Quote from: footballguy33 on February 28, 2014, 01:00:03 pm

Nothing was divided at the end of Coach Guthrie's "term".  Coach Guthrie was upset because they hired a social studies teacher that didn't know jack about football to be his asst. coach.  Coach Guthrie wanted certain things done to improve they football program, things that have now been addressed.  The football team would have a fieldhouse right now if the coaches that are currently on staff could have been trusted.  That's a fact.  If you don't believe me ask any school board member of your choosing.  Coach Moore was in over his head.

You're right. The school board should totally punish the kids currently on the roster because they have an irrational hatred of the current staff. That will teach those coaches a lesson. Wow.

Pirates1265

based on the statement made by thewayitis  there are 3 possibilities A. thewayitis is a liar and made a statement out of personal anger. B the administration from athletic director up through the superintendent and school board are corrupt and openly discuss employees in public or even on the phone. Yet continue to rehire theseuntrustworthy people. And even worse willingly denied facility improvements in an effort to hinder the progress of a school program thus they should all resign  or C. both A and B are true.

Snakecharmer59

The Cedarville saga continues. In talking with someone close to the Athletic department , I asked why Cedarville administration had so blatantly mistreated Cedarville Athletics and Specifically Football program so badly. What I found out was sure not what I had been hearing. Coach Shelters first year his team played in all new helmets and shoulder pads. Coach shelter was not happy with the quality of the helmets which were ordered by Coach Scott of the previous staff. So Coach Approached the admin and bought all new Helmets. The admin had also surfaced the football game field and had built a new practice field. The admin also bought all Alma weight equipment. Sounds to me as if  there is support for Athletics at Cedarville and that includes Football. It also appears to me that The Head Coach of Cedarville Football couldn't handle a little adversity so he tucked tail and ran leaving his 3 assistants in a no win situation.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas