• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bay--even years

Started by yesteryearman, January 23, 2016, 03:58:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yesteryearman

I'm sure everyone in the basketball world knew this, but I was looking back thru past champions and the state tournament brackets and it dawned on me that Bay won title in 2011, 13, 15.  Just wondering, what happened to them in the even years, and what year did they move from 2A to 1A.  The past history I'm sure doesn't mean anything to the current team, but as Yogi said, could it be deja vu all over again?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 23, 2016, 03:58:02 pm
I'm sure everyone in the basketball world knew this, but I was looking back thru past champions and the state tournament brackets and it dawned on me that Bay won title in 2011, 13, 15.  Just wondering, what happened to them in the even years, and what year did they move from 2A to 1A.  The past history I'm sure doesn't mean anything to the current team, but as Yogi said, could it be deja vu all over again?

One of those years they missed state cause icc upset them in region

yesteryearman

Quote from: HF on January 23, 2016, 04:05:54 pm

OK, that must have been 2014, the year Concord won

Thechosen1

2012 they lost in state finals to wonderview after leading the whole game missed key free throws to win the game

yesteryearman

Quote from: Thechosen1 on January 23, 2016, 04:16:18 pm
2012 they lost in state finals to wonderview after leading the whole game missed key free throws to win the game

Ok, I did some more homework and in 2011 Bay blasted Black Rock in finals....looks like Black Rock was a low seed, just wondering how they made a run to the finals, and was 2011 first year that Bay went from 2A to 1A, or have they been 1A all along.  Also, does Black Rock still have a school?

yesteryearman

Quote from: HF on January 23, 2016, 04:05:54 pm

And Norfork won the Region?  and lost to Region 4 seed Caddo Hills in first round, and 3 seed Emerson beat ICC by 19 in first round.   Guess none of that really mattered since Concord was clearly head and shoulders better than anyone else, just like Bay last year.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 23, 2016, 04:24:06 pm

Ok, I did some more homework and in 2011 Bay blasted Black Rock in finals....looks like Black Rock was a low seed, just wondering how they made a run to the finals, and was 2011 first year that Bay went from 2A to 1A, or have they been 1A all along.  Also, does Black Rock still have a school?

Black rock consolidated with walnut risge....bay dropped to 1a around 06...maybe 08...I remember they had a heck of a game with sacred heart in 09 in state....something like 70 points scored in the fourth quarter of that game...

yesteryearman

Quote from: HF on January 23, 2016, 04:33:22 pm

Black rock consolidated with walnut risge....bay dropped to 1a around 06...maybe 08...I remember they had a heck of a game with sacred heart in 09 in state....something like 70 points scored in the fourth quarter of that game...

sounds more like a Guy game

Silky Johnson

Bay beat Norfork by 35 in regional finals then that Norfork team loses 95-92 to Guy in the first round of state. That Guy team then beat undefeated Bradley and a 40-1 MVE team who beat them like 5 times that year to win state. Bay didn't do great against SH, we were playing  nervous and they were really disciplined. We looked confused on backdoor cuts and didn't play physical. In the 4th quarter we're down 33-34 and have anyone that can shoot a 3 in the game. Think we lost by 9-11 points but won the quarter Lol. I want to say the combined total was 70-75 points and we had 43 but don't know exactly what SH had. That was Bay's first year in 1A and Gunner Freeman was a Freshmen, they definitely scrapped back into that game. Had they won we would've played ole JD lol

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Silky Johnson on January 23, 2016, 05:41:07 pm
Bay beat Norfork by 35 in regional finals then that Norfork team loses 95-92 to Guy in the first round of state. That Guy team then beat undefeated Bradley and a 40-1 MVE team who beat them like 5 times that year to win state. Bay didn't do great against SH, we were playing  nervous and they were really disciplined. We looked confused on backdoor cuts and didn't play physical. In the 4th quarter we're down 33-34 and have anyone that can shoot a 3 in the game. Think we lost by 9-11 points but won the quarter Lol. I want to say the combined total was 70-75 points and we had 43 but don't know exactly what SH had. That was Bay's first year in 1A and Gunner Freeman was a Freshmen, they definitely scrapped back into that game. Had they won we would've played ole JD lol

Guy was 2-4 against mve that year....

Silky Johnson

Sorry lost 4 times. Still though didn't Guy win in a season tournament before MVE won home and away conf. games, a district championship and a regional championship? Rattled off 4 straight wins then lost in the finals. And they finished 40-2?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Silky Johnson on January 23, 2016, 05:57:58 pm
Sorry lost 4 times. Still though didn't Guy win in a season tournament before MVE won home and away conf. games, a district championship and a regional championship? Rattled off 4 straight wins then lost in the finals. And they finished 40-2?

I'd ask j.d....but i think he's still bitter...think they lost the first and last matchups with guy

Silky Johnson

Haha well I can get that. Perhaps he was on the best MVE team at any rate. So JD where you at lol

yesteryearman

If that was in 2009, was that the Bradley team where the best player, I think his last name was Larry, got hurt either during or before the tournament?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 23, 2016, 07:25:52 pm

If that was in 2009, was that the Bradley team where the best player, I think his last name was Larry, got hurt either during or before the tournament?

Yes....heard that with larry, that Bradley would have waltzed through state...

RedWolf275

Bradley had several teams back then that were supposed to be loaded but when state rolled around they were out in a hurry.

yesteryearman

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 23, 2016, 08:02:07 pm
Bradley had several teams back then that were supposed to be loaded but when state rolled around they were out in a hurry.

Yes that is true, and same for Stephens teams( I remember watching a 4 seed GFWS beat Stephens at SAU)....it just seems to me that those Bradley, Stephens teams were more talented, and better, than the recent teams from Region 4, but the recent Region 4 teams are doing better in state than those Bradley, Stephens teams did.  Those teams were usually ousted by teams from northern part of the state and again recently Region 4, or southern part of state are faring better against the northern teams, with the notable exceptions of Concord, Bay and couple of others.  Maybe the overall quality of all teams isn't what it used to be, not sure.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 23, 2016, 08:33:56 pm

Yes that is true, and same for Stephens teams( I remember watching a 4 seed GFWS beat Stephens at SAU)....it just seems to me that those Bradley, Stephens teams were more talented, and better, than the recent teams from Region 4, but the recent Region 4 teams are doing better in state than those Bradley, Stephens teams did.  Those teams were usually ousted by teams from northern part of the state and again recently Region 4, or southern part of state are faring better against the northern teams, with the notable exceptions of Concord, Bay and couple of others.  Maybe the overall quality of all teams isn't what it used to be, not sure.

Quality is down....imo...

yesteryearman

January 23, 2016, 08:53:26 pm #18 Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:59:06 pm by yesteryearman
Quote from: HF on January 23, 2016, 08:43:06 pm

agree

Oldref

January 23, 2016, 09:12:29 pm #19 Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:14:25 pm by Oldref
Quote from: yesteryearman on January 23, 2016, 08:53:26 pm
Quote from: HF on January 23, 2016, 08:43:06 pm

Ok, then let me date myself, and this may not get any responses because nobody remembers or knows....but how would last years Bay team do against the Parkdale team that won the overall, long, long ago.....lol

Wow that Parkdale team was great but was in a different era of Arkansas Basketball. That was even before the three point shot. I just think great teams always find a way to compete. Parkdale was loaded with great players and coached by Danny Ebbs if I remember correctly. They were really physical and athletic and played great defense. That said it would be fun to see the great teams over the years actually be able to play each other. I think the great teams of this era could do well against the teams from years ago. Bay was playing their best basketball the last month of the season last year and could really score. Would have been a great game in my opinion. I would like to know how many class B (now A) there were back in the 70's before so many had to consolidate.

RedWolf275

Yesteryear I think that Black Rock team was good. I remember them an Bay having some battles that year. They were in the same conference I am pretty sure. I'm going to do some checking and see how they made state finals.

HorseFeathers

Black rock was 36-6 that year...beat bay in district finnals. Lost to mammoth spring in region semis...lost to mammoth springs in region semifinals(I think it was semifinals). Beat jasper, sacred heart and Kirby on their way to a blow out loss to bay in the finals...bay beat mammoth springs in region final that year, then beat them again I'm semi finals of state...

As far as me giving an opinion on Parkdale....I was 3 when they closed the school....

Catfish

That was 2010. In 2012 Mammoth Springs and Sacred Heart played in the finals.

Central Ark

2010. Mammoth beat MVE, then lost to Hillcrest. Wonderview won it that year

Silky Johnson

HF Bay was a 3 seed and had to upset 28-0 Stephens in the first round of state. They lost to MS in controversial game but won the third place game while MS got the regional title by 15 over Black Rock. Black rock was also undefeated at home that year beating Bay and Mammoth spring their in the regular season and beating bay in district finals. Bay and BR split 2-2 BR winning by 3 and 4. Bay mercy ruled them and won by 23 at home and Bay won by 27-29 in the finals but it could've been worse. Most of the 4th quarter was Sophomores and Freshmen getting to play.

yesteryearman

Quote from: Central Ark on January 23, 2016, 11:17:06 pm
2010. Mammoth beat MVE, then lost to Hillcrest. Wonderview won it that year

Who did Bay lose to in state in 2010

Central Ark

Bay lost in the finals to Wonderview right?

CRHS4LIFE

Quote from: HF on January 23, 2016, 10:29:49 pm
Black rock was 36-6 that year...beat bay in district finnals. Lost to mammoth spring in region semis...lost to mammoth springs in region semifinals(I think it was semifinals). Beat jasper, sacred heart and Kirby on their way to a blow out loss to bay in the finals...bay beat mammoth springs in region final that year, then beat them again I'm semi finals of state...

As far as me giving an opinion on Parkdale....I was 3 when they closed the school....

Mammoth Beat Bay in region finals that year. Bay was the #3 seed in state tournament at Calico Rock who took down Bradley, an undefeated Bradley I do believe, in the opening round.

Silky Johnson

January 24, 2016, 12:23:40 pm #28 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 12:27:28 pm by Silky Johnson
lol my previous post. It was an undefeated 28-0 Stephens team that was 10-12 deep most of the time and just came off of a regional championship win over Guy-Perkins and also beat Parkers Chapel twice in the year. PC actually made it to the 2A state finals beating previous champ Hughes in the semis and lost to a Ky madden led EPC team.

RedWolf275

Quote from: Silky Johnson on January 23, 2016, 11:39:55 pm
HF Bay was a 3 seed and had to upset 28-0 Stephens in the first round of state. They lost to MS in controversial game but won the third place game while MS got the regional title by 15 over Black Rock. Black rock was also undefeated at home that year beating Bay and Mammoth spring their in the regular season and beating bay in district finals. Bay and BR split 2-2 BR winning by 3 and 4. Bay mercy ruled them and won by 23 at home and Bay won by 27-29 in the finals but it could've been worse. Most of the 4th quarter was Sophomores and Freshmen getting to play.

Bay nearly didnt even make state that year. Beat Viola by 4 in 3rd place game. 4th place didnt get to go to state because there were five 1A regions then.

Silky Johnson

Bay played very sluggish and tight in 3rd place games, about like they didn't want to be there but obviously the game has to be played. There was a sr. Guard from Viola Bay was gonna let shoot the whole game then in the 4th quarter he hit 3-4 and needless to say some adjustments had to be made.

Catfish

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Silky Johnson on January 23, 2016, 11:39:55 pm

Boy I fudged that all up then...lol

BoxNOne

Stephens (28-0) and Kirby (37-2) were the pre tournament favorites in 2011. Bay beat Stephens by 9 in the first round and Black Rock beat Kirby by 14 in the semifinals.

Oldref

Quote from: BoxNOne on January 24, 2016, 04:01:12 pm
Stephens (28-0) and Kirby (37-2) were the pre tournament favorites in 2011. Bay beat Stephens by 9 in the first round and Black Rock beat Kirby by 14 in the semifinals.

Some good teams Box......I remember being at the first round game between Stephens and Bay. I was thinking that Bay and Black Rock both had a chance but Bay had to pay the favorite Stevens right out of the gate. Coach Brannen had sat down by me before the game and I remember saying to him I hated they had to play undefeated Stephens right out of the gate. His response was how would you like to be Stephens and have to play Bay right out of the gate? Good answer:-)

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Oldref on January 24, 2016, 04:45:15 pm

Some good teams Box......I remember being at the first round game between Stephens and Bay. I was thinking that Bay and Black Rock both had a chance but Bay had to pay the favorite Stevens right out of the gate. Coach Brannen had sat down by me before the game and I remember saying to him I hated they had to play undefeated Stephens right out of the gate. His response was how would you like to be Stephens and have to play Bay right out of the gate? Good answer:-)

+1

Central Ark

The word was out though. If you had good guards to handle the pressure, you could beat Stephens. They matched up with a team that had good guards.

BoxNOne

Quote from: Oldref on January 24, 2016, 04:45:15 pm

That 2011 state tourney was a very deep field of good teams. Guy Perkins was very good as well as Mammoth Springs. Mammoth won it the next year. That 2011 Bay team was an excellent defensive team.

Silky Johnson

Didn't play MS straight up either. Won 38-29 and Ran a more active offense and had a similar defense to an I and 3. Held Caleb Brown to a lay up before he got taken out at the end and those were his only 2 points. Wooldridge had their first inside bucket then went like 1-4 from the free throw line to finish with 3 points. Had they not had a role player score 6 and letting Houston Cooper shoot it go 5-8 from three Bay would've had Mammoth under 10 points that game maybe. Their shooter only was let open for 1 shot and that was the only 3 he hit, Matt Turnbough was his name I believe. He got a ring hitting some shots against SH in the finals the next year but his last 2 seasons he didn't have much help.

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: Central Ark on January 24, 2016, 05:04:19 pm
The word was out though. If you had good guards to handle the pressure, you could beat Stephens. They matched up with a team that had good guards.

I believe that's the year tournament was @ Bradley? Bradley had a stud team as well. Should've beaten Stephens several times that year. And Emerson beat both Stephens and Bradley that year. But revels messed his knee up in regional tournament. That was his freshman year and Emerson got picked apart by County Line

RedWolf275

2011 state was at Calico Rock

PuddlePirate12

i must be talking about 2012.. I was doing the math and it wasn't adding up lol. I think bay beat Bradley in the semis that year.

PuddlePirate12

Or was that 13? Lol I'm going blank now

Thechosen1

Bay beat CL in state semis in 13 by about 30 I think

Silky Johnson

CL was on a 36 game win streak and Bay beat WSGF 19-20 and Stephens 11 before beating County Line 66-39 in the semis. It was tied after 1 and 30-14 at half with Bays starters in foul trouble. In the second half it got ugly once they were able to make an impact. Concord beat Bradley in the early game by 26.

Real deal

January 25, 2016, 11:25:57 am #45 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:28:17 am by Real deal
Ok, a little surprised Silky has not been able to clear up specifics on even years so I'll help him.  (Just kidding SJ but here it goes anyway)

2009 - Bay's first year in Class A, played like gangbusters in the regional the last time it was at Bay and looked like a contender going into State.  Won 1st game at WSGF then got beat by Sacred Heart.  Guy won state tourney

2010 - Tournament was at Hillcrest, Final 4 Bay vs. Guy Hillcrest vs. Wonderview, Hillcrest beat the undefeated Bradley team that year 1st round.  Finals between Bay and Wonderview was ugly, Bay had the game won but could not make a free throw and the Zimmerman kid hit the only 3 by either team to finally put Wonderview up late.  Bay missed golden opportunity to win State.

2011 - Tournament at Calico Rock, Final 4 Bay vs. Mammoth  Black Rock vs. Kirby  Lots you could say about the regional tournament that year at ICC, but I won't go there.  Mammoth came out the 1 Black Rock the 2 and Bay the 3.  09-11 Region 2 was loaded, anyway Bay decided to play a deliberate style offense and the junkiest defense I have ever seen, to say it worked would be an understatement, Mammoth made one push late but it was to late.  Black Rock was the hottest team during the state tournament, tournament was loaded that year.  2011 was the year Bay beat an undefeated Stephens in first round, Bay was a buzzsaw in the finals against Black Rock, being there the year before had a lot to do with it I think.

2012 - Tournament at Magnolia (SAU)  Bay beats Sparkman and Bradley but loses in final 4 vs. Sacred Heart, very disappointing, this was Bay's deepest team during the run, Talent everywhere, 11 deep.  Mammoth beat Nevada in the other semi and won then played Sacred Heart in finals in a game that mirrored 2010 Wonderview/Bay, Side note, Concord got upset that year in 1st round by host team Nevada, Concord was good!!  WSGF beat Stephens 1st round  Mammoth State Champs

2013 - Tournament at Bradley Final 4 Bay vs. County Line  Concord vs. Bradley both semis were blowouts and the two best teams made it to finals and Bay beat Concord by 3 when Roark missed a 3 at buzzer to tie it.  Thought for sure we were going to overtime. 

2014 - Bay lost to ICC in 1st round of regionals, Concord won the state tournament, the tournament was at Harrison

2015 - Bay beats Emerson in state finals, tournament at Nashville

2016 - Its getting closer, good luck to everyone!!

Catfish

Quote from: Real deal on January 25, 2016, 11:25:57 am
Ok, a little surprised Silky has not been able to clear up specifics on even years so I'll help him.  (Just kidding SJ but here it goes anyway)

2009 - Bay's first year in Class A, played like gangbusters in the regional the last time it was at Bay and looked like a contender going into State.  Won 1st game at WSGF then got beat by Sacred Heart.  Guy won state tourney

2010 - Tournament was at Hillcrest, Final 4 Bay vs. Guy Hillcrest vs. Wonderview, Hillcrest beat the undefeated Bradley team that year 1st round.  Finals between Bay and Wonderview was ugly, Bay had the game won but could not make a free throw and the Zimmerman kid hit the only 3 by either team to finally put Wonderview up late.  Bay missed golden opportunity to win State.

2011 - Tournament at Calico Rock, Final 4 Bay vs. Mammoth  Black Rock vs. Kirby  Lots you could say about the regional tournament that year at ICC, but I won't go there.  Mammoth came out the 1 Black Rock the 2 and Bay the 3.  09-11 Region 2 was loaded, anyway Bay decided to play a deliberate style offense and the junkiest defense I have ever seen, to say it worked would be an understatement, Mammoth made one push late but it was to late.  Black Rock was the hottest team during the state tournament, tournament was loaded that year.  2011 was the year Bay beat an undefeated Stephens in first round, Bay was a buzzsaw in the finals against Black Rock, being there the year before had a lot to do with it I think.

2012 - Tournament at Magnolia (SAU)  Bay beats Sparkman and Bradley but loses in final 4 vs. Sacred Heart, very disappointing, this was Bay's deepest team during the run, Talent everywhere, 11 deep.  Mammoth beat Nevada in the other semi and won then played Sacred Heart in finals in a game that mirrored 2010 Wonderview/Bay, Side note, Concord got upset that year in 1st round by host team Nevada, Concord was good!!  WSGF beat Stephens 1st round  Mammoth State Champs

2013 - Tournament at Bradley Final 4 Bay vs. County Line  Concord vs. Bradley both semis were blowouts and the two best teams made it to finals and Bay beat Concord by 3 when Roark missed a 3 at buzzer to tie it.  Thought for sure we were going to overtime. 

2014 - Bay lost to ICC in 1st round of regionals, Concord won the state tournament, the tournament was at Harrison

2015 - Bay beats Emerson in state finals, tournament at Nashville

2016 - Its getting closer, good luck to everyone!!

Dang! Great break down!!

Real deal

Thanks!! I have my moments.  lol

Silky Johnson

Zimmerman couldn't have hit that 3 lol he was a 6'5 post, he did have his own like 7-0 run scoring inside and hitting free throws. Bay handled the PG who got MVP fine holding him to 5 points. I think it was a kid named Burgener? who hit the only 3 of the game and those might've been his only points. That was the only 1A school bay lost to all year so I'd like to say they were better but they couldn't finish the game out that day.

Real deal

Quote from: Silky Johnson on January 25, 2016, 01:22:01 pm
Zimmerman couldn't have hit that 3 lol he was a 6'5 post, he did have his own like 7-0 run scoring inside and hitting free throws. Bay handled the PG who got MVP fine holding him to 5 points. I think it was a kid named Burgener? who hit the only 3 of the game and those might've been his only points. That was the only 1A school bay lost to all year so I'd like to say they were better but they couldn't finish the game out that day.

Your right, did I miss anything else?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas