• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 4A State Bracket / Mena defeats Shiloh Christian in 4

Started by sevenof400, October 15, 2014, 07:55:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

October 15, 2014, 07:55:33 pm Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:16:19 pm by sevenof400
Click here for the 4A state bracket and please discuss! 

2014 Class 4A State Volleyball – Oct 28 – Oct 30 Hosted by Lonoke High School
Finals – Nov 1 at Hot Springs Convention Center (Summit Arena)

NEA Razorback olfan

1-Adam-12

unfaceable

Has anyone seen Mena, Brookland, & Shiloh play? Any idea how they all stack up?

1-Adam-12

October 23, 2014, 10:21:31 pm #4 Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:42:56 am by 1-Adam-12
Mena is my favorite to take it all the way.

They have excellent hitters that can get over the ball and drive it straight down giving the other team no chance for a dig. Very good defensively. Bunch is one of the better liberos in this part of the state, in any classification. 

They have only two losses both to 7A schools.  Unbeaten and unchallenged in their conference and own a win over Greenwood.

NEA Razorback olfan

First round picks

Mena over Newport
PG over Lonoke
Brookland over Ashdown
Berryville over CAC
Shilo over Clinton
Westside over Waldron
Southside over Huntsville
Fountain Lake over Harrisburg

NEA Razorback olfan

WPWells

I'll take:

Mena
Prairie Grove
Brookland
CAC
Shiloh
Westside
Southside
Harrisburg

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland takes first 2 sets,
1 25-?
2 25-11

Per twitter

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

unfaceable

West and East match-ups tomorrow should be fun! Who does everybody think will win the day 2 match-ups?

NEA Razorback olfan

unfaceable

October 29, 2014, 10:37:03 am #15 Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:25:29 pm by unfaceable
Gonna be interesting tournament

NEA Razorback olfan

whippersnapper

1-Adam-12

The final semifinalist will be Harrisburg. Beat Huntsville in 5 per Twitter.

1-Adam-12

Mena wins what was apparently a thriller over Berryville. 21-25 25-15 12-25 25-18 15-9.

FootBallar21

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 30, 2014, 05:48:21 pm
Mena wins what was apparently a thriller over Berryville. 21-25 25-15 12-25 25-18 15-9.

Mena airs their games LIVE on ,   Menapulse website,  I watched it all,  was a great game,  Mena appeared to be the better team,  but Berryville played very hard and made Mena look average in the 3rd set which Berryville won 25-12,   Mena got down 4-0 and never could get it going ,  but they bounced back to control the next two and take it,     Looking at How Berryville played Shiloh super tough their last 2 meetings,  A Mena vs Shiloh Final should be EPIC!

1-Adam-12

whippersnapper

So when was the last time a team not from NEA won state?

1-Adam-12

unfaceable

Arkadelphia won in 1990. Since then, it has been NEA.

sevenof400

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 30, 2014, 05:48:21 pm

It was indeed. 

This match swung back and forth through each of the first 4th sets just as the scoreline indicates.  In the 5th, Mena jumped out early to something like a 4-0 or 5-0 lead and Berryville couldn't find the answer to get back in the match. 

Watching the first set, Mena appeared to possibly be a bit overconfident and looking at Berryville, one can understand why they won't physically worry a lot of teams.  Berryville is not exceptionally big and their hitters were not pounding the ball with the velocity some other teams did - but wow is Berryville quick!  Their girls were diving all over the floor and digging many balls I thought would be down.  Berryville stayed in a lot points and forced a good number of errors from Mena.   

Berryville could certainly use more size and jumping ability but whatever they are doing to develop their quickness is a formula that should be patented and copied by other teams.  Full marks to Berryville!

I have to believe Mena will beat Shiloh Christian based on the way both teams played at the state tourney.  Shiloh caught some huge breaks in the bracket (certainly something they earned) given Huntsville's performance appeared to take the starch out of Harrisburg.  I only saw Harrisburg once (against Shiloh) and I have to believe that had to be Harrisburg's worst performance in a long time.  Harrisburg going five sets in the first two rounds probably has a lot to do with that.

Some very fun volleyball to watch this week!

1-Adam-12

I saw Berryville a couple of times last season and knew they were going places. Very scrappy team that never gives up on a point.

FootBallar21

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 31, 2014, 09:40:47 am
I saw Berryville a couple of times last season and knew they were going places. Very scrappy team that never gives up on a point.

Yea I also believe Mena took Berryville a little for granted,  but then looking back how their last 2 meetings with Shiloh also were 3-2 defeats they are a very good team,  Should be a Great Final, 

500 hitter

It appears Mena didn't take anyone for granted they started off hot. Berryville is a great team with great players. Mena had trouble with its passing in spurts, if the passes were good then the set and kill was pretty much a given. Berryville didn't have much of an answer for  blocking #22 and #40 at all and #14 in spurts. Mena finally started blocking pretty much everything in the 5 th game, which appeared to rattle BV a little. Both teams had great players and played with a lot of passion. In the end Mena appeared to have just a few more weapons. Something else people tend to overlook is the fact that Berryville had a monster game the day before. It was amazing they played so well . Hats off to both teams it was a great match to watch as was the Brookland- Berryville match. The final will be a great one.

sevenof400

Mena certainly had the easier path to the semi final - sweeping each of their first two opponents in three straight.  Berryville had to go through nine sets to make the semi's versus six sets for Mena - that had to take some toll on Berryville.

FootBallar21

sevenof400

500 hitter

Great game overall. Mena started out slow but finished strong. It appeared that Shiloh was committed to stopping # 40 with two blockers at all times. The problem was Mena had too many weapons. Mena spread the ball around to #14 and #32 more in the middle which seemed to pay off well. Each of the girls played a part in a total team effort. Mena appears to be real gritty and very seldon hangs their heads if things start going bad. Great overall team with great kids. Id say the Berryville game in the semis prepared them for the final game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas