• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas/LSU game

Started by Romeo, February 17, 2012, 10:38:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo

- Will be played Nov 24th in Fayetteville.
- Ole Miss will play in Little Rock Oct 27th.
- Rutgers will play us on Sept 22nd.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=205381696

Don Quixote

That's more like it.  Let Mississippi play in the dump at LR.

Busman

There have been some GREAT Arkansas & Ole-Miss games at Little Rock, starting in the the 1950's.  I personally am looking forward to it.  I think it will also be a treat to host LSU in Fayetteville.

I am more excited about the Rutgers series. I know where I will be in September of 2013!

MA

Bout time we get LSU up north.

DickeyB

Gus heres your chance. Maybe A State can bring in somebody to play in the dump. Stick it Fayetteville. One fans opinion.

Brian G

Nothing that happens in LR would "Stick it to Fayetteville".

MA

Arkansas plays 8 home games 1 in Dallas and 3 road games lol that doesn't seem fair.

And little rock sucks... can't even compare it to fayetteville

hitemgogetem

The LR atmosphere is always great when LSU comes to town, but I think it's a recruiting plus to have potential commits go to Fayetteville for the LSU game, nationally televised, with either conference or national championships in the balance.  That one game has decided for several seasons who goes to Atlanta......who gets BCS bids......etc.

That environment alone would be a great 'teaser' for any recruits on the fence making decisions where to go play.

Texas A&M joining the conference helps recruiting in Texas too.... and Rutgers is a nice non-conference add to the schedule.

All good things..........even my wife will like it not being on Markham on Black Friday...go figure.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: DickeyB on February 17, 2012, 01:12:59 pm
Gus heres your chance. Maybe A State can bring in somebody to play in the dump. Stick it Fayetteville. One fans opinion.
Yeahhhhh buddy, Ole Gus and ASU could play the college for the deaf and blind (a conference opponent by the way) and really stick it to the U of A...I bet Petrino is shaking in his sneakers right now...

Ridge Rat

Anyone who says Fayetteville games are better than LR has never been to a game in LR. Only game I've ever been to in Fayetteville that was a better environment or at least as close as War Memorial was the 2010 game. Been going to both since 92 and it's not close.

Big Fan

Quote from: krik6 on February 17, 2012, 01:40:32 pm
Arkansas plays 8 home games 1 in Dallas and 3 road games lol that doesn't seem fair.

If there was never a War Memorial (or its supporters) there would have NEVER been a Reynolds Razorback Stadium that seats 70,000+.  So......if not for LR....Fayetteville would suck a lot more than the current WM.  Learn some respect.

pantherblue

I had only been to games in LR over the years. Since my son started at UA in 2009 I have been to several up there. LR doesn't even begin to compare now. I can't say they didn't 20 years ago but now they sure don't. At least all conference games need to be played on the Hill. I am really fine with them all being up there. 

AirWarren

I like both atmospheres and I love the razorbacks. If moving lsu to fayetteville helps recruiting then so be it. I had some awesome times in little rock to watch us beat lsu.

Lr will always be better to me though. Parents always took me and I still go. Plus there is no stinch of nwa snoodiness. That's always a seller!!!

DickeyB

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 17, 2012, 02:46:33 pm
Yeahhhhh buddy, Ole Gus and ASU could play the college for the deaf and blind (a conference opponent by the way) and really stick it to the U of A...I bet Petrino is shaking in his sneakers right now...
Yeah bud, lets give Gus, Dyer, an Co. a couple of years and have success. Keep screwing with the central Ar. people hearts. You ever hear of Fl. State of course you have. I love Petrino but you let him have a couple more years and he'll be at Texas. Then go 6 and 6 and will see your 45,000 devoted North Ar. fans on Saturdays. I wouldn't discount Malzahn, and he could split the state wide open with success.  Ven you da tha mannnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian G

Quote from: AW on February 18, 2012, 10:53:22 am
Plus there is no stinch of nwa snoodiness. That's always a seller!!!
Curious at to what specifically occurs at Fayetteville games to you that gives you this impression.

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on February 17, 2012, 01:30:21 pm
Nothing that happens in LR would "Stick it to Fayetteville".

You do realize the state legislature is meeting at this time.....

Brian G

sevenof400

Let's hope this is a fairly uneventful legislative session this year.

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on February 18, 2012, 11:39:44 am
Curious at to what specifically occurs at Fayetteville games to you that gives you this impression.

You don't have to attend games to experience the snoodiness. Fayetteville is ok but the rest a new can stick it.

Ill support my team no matter what though.

Mulerider

February 18, 2012, 02:26:46 pm #19 Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:29:09 pm by Mulerider
Quote from: Don Quixote on February 17, 2012, 10:43:27 am
That's more like it.  Let Mississippi play in the dump at LR.

+10 LSU vs Arkansas should be played in the beautiful stadium in Fayetteville.  This on is long overdue.

Hopefully the die hard Hog fans can actually sell this one out with ease.

Brian G

Quote from: AW on February 18, 2012, 01:03:35 pm

You don't have to attend games to experience the snoodiness. Fayetteville is ok but the rest a new can stick it.

So you got nothing.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Ridge Rat on February 17, 2012, 05:55:41 pm
Anyone who says Fayetteville games are better than LR has never been to a game in LR. Only game I've ever been to in Fayetteville that was a better environment or at least as close as War Memorial was the 2010 game. Been going to both since 92 and it's not close.
92 huh? So I have been going to both 11 years longer than you...and they don't compare now...Fayetteville is much better...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: DickeyB on February 18, 2012, 11:01:02 am
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 17, 2012, 02:46:33 pm
Yeah bud, lets give Gus, Dyer, an Co. a couple of years and have success. Keep screwing with the central Ar. people hearts. You ever hear of Fl. State of course you have. I love Petrino but you let him have a couple more years and he'll be at Texas. Then go 6 and 6 and will see your 45,000 devoted North Ar. fans on Saturdays. I wouldn't discount Malzahn, and he could split the state wide open with success.  Ven you da tha mannnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In two years Dyer will be in jail far from ASU...your comment is laughable at best...

DickeyB

Time will tell old man river coach lol! You know all! Your fortune telling is laughable.

Baitshop

Unfortunately, for the Central/South Arkansas crowd, this may not be the end of the bloodletting....

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on February 18, 2012, 03:28:31 pm

You don't have to attend games to experience the snoodiness. Fayetteville is ok but
the rest a new can stick it.

So you got nothing.

Got plenty. All I gotta do is start copy and pasting from the 7a board of the attitudes that breed up there.

Romeo

Now confirmed through both ADs that Arkansas will play Texas A&M in College Station this year, play in Fayetteville in 2013, probably play in Cowboys Stadium in 2014.

Brian G

Quote from: AW on February 18, 2012, 08:58:24 pm
Quote from: B.G. on February 18, 2012, 03:28:31 pm

You don't have to attend games to experience the snoodiness. Fayetteville is ok but
the rest a new can stick it.

So you got nothing.

Got plenty. All I gotta do is start copy and pasting from the 7a board of the attitudes that breed up there.
Not a direct correlation.

Coach Runyan

From a fan standpoint, you are absolutely correct.

However, over the past decade I have heard MULTIPLE opposing players and coaches talk about how they hated LR because of the crowd noise. So, when you are talking about playing a marquee matchup against a top team, there are some advantages to WMS.

Never once heard an opposing player say, "We sure hate going in to an almost full stadium up there in NWA."

AirWarren

The last part of your post coach, spot on.

Brian G

I guess recruits visiting see something else.

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on February 19, 2012, 11:49:24 am
I guess recruits visiting see something else.

I'm all with you guys with this situation. Bring LSU up if it will help recruiting. Im all for that.

Doing away with WMS, That is what I'm against.

MA

Quote from: Coach Runyan, Lakeside on February 19, 2012, 09:31:39 am

However, over the past decade I have heard MULTIPLE opposing players and coaches talk about how they hated LR because of the crowd noise. So, when you are talking about playing a marquee matchup against a top team, there are some advantages to WMS.

Never once heard an opposing player say, "We sure hate going in to an almost full stadium up there in NWA."

Most of the players that said they hated playing at WMS have never played Arkansas anywhere else.

mack

Quote from: Baitshop on February 18, 2012, 05:51:37 pm
Unfortunately, for the Central/South Arkansas crowd, this may not be the end of the bloodletting....

They'll all be in Fayetteville within the next 6-8 years.  That's sad for those of us who enjoyed making the games at WMS.  A full stadium up there does not rock like one in LR.  I wouldn't call it "snoodie", but I've seen a lot more blue hairs tell people to sit down in front up there than in LR.

History and tradition mean little to the NWA crowd, unless it suits them.

MA

How many other teams have 2 different home stadiums? How does it make sense to drive 3 hours for a home game? Ive been to a few LR games. It gets loud no doubt. But thats not the point. The point is its not a nice place and its 3 hours away. I just think its stupid that we ever play away from one of the nicest 70+ thousand seat stadiums in the country to go play in a 50K seast place that is about to fall down. Nobody else does that.

mack

Quote from: krik6 on February 20, 2012, 01:16:48 pm
How many other teams have 2 different home stadiums? How does it make sense to drive 3 hours for a home game? Ive been to a few LR games. It gets loud no doubt. But thats not the point. The point is its not a nice place and its 3 hours away. I just think its stupid that we ever play away from one of the nicest 70+ thousand seat stadiums in the country to go play in a 50K seast place that is about to fall down. Nobody else does that.

Your point is valid.  Who else does it?  I don't know of anyone. 

Why did we do it in the first place?  There must have been a reason that no longer exists.  Regardless, of all that, the fact remains that it will cause some division.  Tradition is difficult to break,  especially for those fans getting it broken off in them.

pantherblue

Quote from: mack on February 20, 2012, 02:01:42 pm
Quote from: krik6 on February 20, 2012, 01:16:48 pm

Your point is valid.  Who else does it?  I don't know of anyone. 

Why did we do it in the first place?  There must have been a reason that no longer exists.  Regardless, of all that, the fact remains that it will cause some division.  Tradition is difficult to break,  especially for those fans getting it broken off in them.

The reason was already mentioned in this thread... The game was a holiday game where students are gone from campus and it was hard to sell tickets... Both teams are top ranked teams now though and the game should be played at home where the players sleep in their own beds so to speak and not make a 3 hour trip for a home game...

Brian G

Rent.  The UA pays rent to go to LR.  Really?  How asinine.

Coach Venny Slocombe

This is pretty easy to see in my opinion...
1. Money, more money to be made by playing the big time games in Fayetteville. And yes folks, more money means better coaches and better facilities...
2. Recruiting...Okay let's say you are a stud player and you have your official visit to a Razorback game. The recruit sees the Campus on the Hill, or the kid sees the dump in the rock...really? Is there really any comparison? If I am Petrino I want the kid going to a game in Fayetteville...
3. Problems...the last two times that the Hogs have played at WMS there have been clock problems. Once with the main clock and the other with the play clock. Why continue to pay rent for a dump...
Now...if the powers that be pay for some upgrades and fix that POS then by all means...play some games there...

pantherblue

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 20, 2012, 03:50:17 pm
This is pretty easy to see in my opinion...
1. Money, more money to be made by playing the big time games in Fayetteville. And yes folks, more money means better coaches and better facilities...
2. Recruiting...Okay let's say you are a stud player and you have your official visit to a Razorback game. The recruit sees the Campus on the Hill, or the kid sees the dump in the rock...really? Is there really any comparison? If I am Petrino I want the kid going to a game in Fayetteville...
3. Problems...the last two times that the Hogs have played at WMS there have been clock problems. Once with the main clock and the other with the play clock. Why continue to pay rent for a dump...
Now...if the powers that be pay for some upgrades and fix that POS then by all means...play some games there...

It's really a grossly over-sized HS football stadium (Catholic High) that has had 3 Hog games in it...   Shut it down and build a bigger Zoo....  LOL

Don Quixote

Quote from: krik6 on February 19, 2012, 10:50:25 pm

Most of the players that said they hated playing at WMS have never played Arkansas anywhere else.

+1, I don't think the coach saw that coming

Mulerider

Seems pretty insane that the Hogs would play in LR anyway.  I can't imagine LSU being forced to play 2 or 3 games a year in the Indy Bowl in Shreveport or Alabama being forced to play a game or two in Mobile in the Go Daddy Bowl. 

All of this to keep fans in the south from having to drive to far?  Really?  Arkansas says they are a big time program now, well act like it and play in the big boy stadium on the campus!  No rational person can justify playing in Little Rock over Reynolds.

Coach Runyan

Quote from: Don Quixote on February 20, 2012, 04:56:20 pm
Quote from: krik6 on February 19, 2012, 10:50:25 pm

+1, I don't think the coach saw that coming

You are correct. I didn't see us getting beat by Glen Rose tonight, either. :o

However, those said players have played at other stadiums in the SEC and said it was the loudest venue they had ever played in. Tim Couch was the first one to come to mind, and I think he played @ Florida and Tennessee every other year.

Either way, I am kind of a tradition guy and I think playing in LR is a tradition. Fayetteville is much nicer and more attractive to recruits, there is no denying that. I was at the "Miracle at Markham" game. If it had been in Fayetteville.....I wouldn't have seen it. Everyone has their opinion and both sides have good points, but born and raised in LR, I hope they keep at least one game.

Big Fan

Quote from: Mulerider on February 20, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
Seems pretty insane that the Hogs would play in LR anyway.  I can't imagine LSU being forced to play 2 or 3 games a year in the Indy Bowl in Shreveport or Alabama being forced to play a game or two in Mobile in the Go Daddy Bowl. 

All of this to keep fans in the south from having to drive to far?  Really?  Arkansas says they are a big time program now, well act like it and play in the big boy stadium on the campus!  No rational person can justify playing in Little Rock over Reynolds.
You're less than 20...right?....and apparently don't have access to any Razorback Football history.

Mulerider

Quote from: Big Fan on February 21, 2012, 08:09:39 pm
Quote from: Mulerider on February 20, 2012, 09:02:49 pm

You're less than 20...right?....and apparently don't have access to any Razorback Football history.

If I was less than 20 their would be no Razorback Football history to speak of, right?  Considering they would not have won a single conference title in my lifetime.

So, no, I am not and history is nice for the LR games when Fayetteville's stadium was small and not much better than WMS.  Now, common sense should dictate, not holding on to distant memories of good days gone by.  Greater stadiums that WMS have been replaced regardless of their history.

Smithian

So....

I thought Little Rock fans were the super fans.

I thought they'd sell out the game whoever the opponent was?

zebradynasty

This kinda reminds me of the first and last time I raised my voice to my mother! She said, "Boy I wiped your butt when you didn't know what I was wiping! Don't you ever..... When Fayettville was nothing more than a hick town on the other side of nowhere Central and Southern Arkansas was there supporting the University. Risking life and limb going on a very dangerous highway to support the Razorbacks. The support was unconditional even to the detriment of other schools in the University system! Like UALR agreeing not to have football so as not to compete with the UA. The rest of the state also got behind and supported spending ALL that tax money to build the most expensive interstate in Arkansas history. Most of the best players that Arkansas produced came from the Central and Southern Arkansas and all were encouraged to go to the UA. I am not sure if there is another big school that is doing what UA is doing splitting home games but I am pretty sure no state as a whole has supported one college like the state of Arkansas has.

So now you got a little money...think you grown now! I wish the rest of the state could do NWA like my mother did me when I raised my voice and slap the L out of ya!

AirWarren

Big Fan

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 22, 2012, 03:41:18 pm
This kinda reminds me of the first and last time I raised my voice to my mother! She said, "Boy I wiped your butt when you didn't know what I was wiping! Don't you ever..... When Fayettville was nothing more than a hick town on the other side of nowhere Central and Southern Arkansas was there supporting the University. Risking life and limb going on a very dangerous highway to support the Razorbacks. The support was unconditional even to the detriment of other schools in the University system! Like UALR agreeing not to have football so as not to compete with the UA. The rest of the state also got behind and supported spending ALL that tax money to build the most expensive interstate in Arkansas history. Most of the best players that Arkansas produced came from the Central and Southern Arkansas and all were encouraged to go to the UA. I am not sure if there is another big school that is doing what UA is doing splitting home games but I am pretty sure no state as a whole has supported one college like the state of Arkansas has.

So now you got a little money...think you grown now! I wish the rest of the state could do NWA like my mother did me when I raised my voice and slap the L out of ya!
+1 Zebra

sevenof400

ZD,

I know what you are saying but realize when loyalty and profit collide, you know which of those two will always get priority...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas