• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BP and Arkansas, here is a chance to upgrade your OOC schedule

Started by sevenof400, February 04, 2012, 01:53:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Click here for story. 

Step up to the challenge and get yourself on national TV with a meaningful OOC game Coach Petrino.

The fanbase deserves a decent game, not a cupcake.

Peety

sevenof400

True Fan

No, seven. WEST VIRGINIA wouldn't be interested. They are paying $350,000 to avoid a top 25 team because the rest of their schedule is so tough. And, you think that they would want to square off with a top 5?

Big Fan

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 04, 2012, 01:53:57 pm
Click here for story. 

Step up to the challenge and get yourself on national TV with a meaningful OOC game Coach Petrino.

The fanbase deserves a decent game, not a cupcake.
Would not be possible seven, the Hog's open dates are 9/22 and 10/20, not 9/8.

Mulerider

Quote from: True Fan on February 04, 2012, 03:43:42 pm
No, seven. WEST VIRGINIA wouldn't be interested. They are paying $350,000 to avoid a top 25 team because the rest of their schedule is so tough. And, you think that they would want to square off with a top 5?

If they are avoiding a top 25 (FSU) who is the Top 5 you are referring too?  Arkansas? 

True Fan

Arkansas was ranked as high as 3rd and finished the season ranked 5th.

Arkansas is a higher ranked program than FSU.

sevenof400

Quote from: True Fan on February 05, 2012, 11:17:38 am
Arkansas was ranked as high as 3rd and finished the season ranked 5th.

Arkansas is a higher ranked program than FSU.

In terms of last year, I would agree with you True Fan.  Historically speaking, in the longer term FSU has had more success on the field.

Among the reasons Arkansas should pursue this (or similar) opportunities to play better opposition can be found in the just completed recruiting results.  Arkansas needs a higher national profile if it is to compete and defeat LSU and Alabama.  While it is a member of the SEC, Arkansas needs to do more to stand out in the conference and on the national scene. 

Early in the season marquee matchups (especially before the start of conference play) offer an opportunity for a team to be seen from coast to coast AND likely without another significant game at the same time.   This would help recruiting and prepare Arkansas for the rigors of the SEC - certainly much more so that NorthEast Louisiana Southwest State University (or whatever plug program Arkansas has on their 2012 OOC schedule). 

Now I can almost hear Gate, PC/RD/TM/whatever and a cast of others proclaiming at the top of their lungs how Arkansas is a nationally respected program now.  Funny thing is, I haven't read a coherent explanation on why such a nationally known program could have such a down recruiting year.

An upgrade to the OOC schedule won't fix this overnight, but it is a step in the right direction.

True Fan

I'm not against it at all. You just have to remember that the other team has to see it as win for their program. Strong traditional programs may consider it beneath them. True or not. Up and coming programs may not be willing to risk the early loss. Borderline programs may not be willing to risk bowl eligibility.

It may not be as simple as wanting to play great teams. A&M was a step in the right direction. I think we'll see more. It will just take the right fit.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 05, 2012, 11:36:06 am

In terms of last year, I would agree with you True Fan.  Historically speaking, in the longer term FSU has had more success on the field.

They haven't been relevant in over a decade.  This isn't the 1990's, you sound like a Nebraska Fan. ;D

Indiana Jones

Make it happen
And play in Jerry's World with A&m home and home
We would have to move the Sept 8 opponent to another date but I.d rather have test before Bama  playing FSU  would fill this

Wahls

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on February 05, 2012, 02:34:32 pm

They haven't been relevant in over a decade.  This isn't the 1990's, you sound like a Nebraska Fan. ;D

Beat me to it.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on February 05, 2012, 02:34:32 pm

Prior to the last 2 seasons, when was Arkansas really relevant?  I know they had one good year when D-Mac and Felix were running over everybody, but other than that what have they done?

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 06, 2012, 07:22:38 pm
Prior to the last 2 seasons, when was Arkansas really relevant?  I know they had one good year when D-Mac and Felix were running over everybody, but other than that what have they done?

Since 2000:

Arkansas has 92 wins.
Florida State has 92 wins.

Arkansas has done so in the SEC.

Who is better, since 2000?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on February 06, 2012, 07:45:35 pm

Since 2000:

Arkansas has 92 wins.

Neither.  Neither of us has really been relevant.  Truth is, we were both stuck with dysfunctional coaching staffs for the better part of the last decade.  But I'll play along anyway.

Since 2000, FSU is 7-4 in bowl games.  Arkansas is 3-6.  Advantage: FSU

Since 2000, We've played in 3 BCS games; Arkansas has played in 1.  Neither of us has a BCS bowl win in this timeframe.  Advantage: None

We have 4 conference championships; Arkansas has none.  Advantage: FSU

But wait, Arkansas plays in the SEC, which is the best conference ever in the history of college football.  Well, we're currently not doing too bad against the SEC.  We've won our last 4 against SEC teams.

mack

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 06, 2012, 08:06:07 pm

Since 2000:

Arkansas has 92 wins.

Neither.  Neither of us has really been relevant.  Truth is, we were both stuck with dysfunctional coaching staffs for the better part of the last decade.  But I'll play along anyway.

Since 2000, We've played in 3 BCS games; Arkansas has played in 1.  Neither of us has a BCS bowl win in this timeframe.  Advantage: None

But wait, Arkansas plays in the SEC, which is the best conference ever in the history of college football.  Well, we're currently not doing too bad against the SEC.  We've won our last 4 against SEC teams.

You almost had me until this,,,,, 'We have 4 conference championships; Arkansas has none'.  Conference championships of what?  We would have owned that conference.  ACC,,,  pul-leeze!

Chief_Osceola™

^As I said, neither of us has really been relevant other than the occassional spurts.

olddog79

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 07, 2012, 09:04:22 am
^As I said, neither of us has really been relevant other than the occassional spurts.
I enjoy an occassional spurt. ;)

mack

Quote from: mack on February 07, 2012, 08:55:51 am
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 06, 2012, 08:06:07 pm

Since 2000:

Arkansas has 92 wins.

You almost had me until this,,,,, 'We have 4 conference championships; Arkansas has none'.  Conference championships of what?  We would have owned that conference.  ACC,,,  pul-leeze!

Well then,, I guess you did get me!  We do agree.  I just believe we are a bit closer to being relevant than FSU is.  The next year or two will tell.

True Fan

Quote from: mack on February 07, 2012, 02:36:42 pm

Well then,, I guess you did get me!  We do agree.  I just believe we are a bit closer to being relevant than FSU is.  The next year or two will tell.

Nope, we can't go by a year or two. Need at least a dozen. He had to go back to 2000 to make his argument look better. He passed the decade mark to include a 6-6 and 7-5 Razorback record. And, 19-6 on the FSU side. That's over 20% of FSU's 92 wins.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: True Fan on February 07, 2012, 04:17:54 pm

Nope, we can't go by a year or two. Need at least a dozen. He had to go back to 2000 to make his argument look better. He passed the decade mark to include a 6-6 and 7-5 Razorback record. And, 19-6 on the FSU side. That's over 20% of FSU's 92 wins.

The comment was made that we haven't been relevant in over a decade.  I was going by the parameters provided. If I wanted to make my argument look REALLY good, I would compare both of our entire histories.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 07, 2012, 06:01:06 pm

The comment was made that we haven't been relevant in over a decade.  I was going by the parameters provided.

I think I was the one that made it since 2000, anyways.  Not you.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on February 07, 2012, 06:02:08 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 07, 2012, 06:01:06 pm

The comment was made that we haven't been relevant in over a decade.  I was going by the parameters provided.

I think I was the one that made it since 2000, anyways.  Not you.

That's what I was referring to, and what I was responding to.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 07, 2012, 06:02:59 pm

Honest question, bro.  Do you think Jimbo is the answer?  Also, are you high or low on last season?  If high, who was your quality win?

I'm not trollin', I just like to hear a fan's perspective.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on February 07, 2012, 06:06:15 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 07, 2012, 06:02:59 pm

Honest question, bro.  Do you think Jimbo is the answer?  Also, are you high or low on last season?  If high, who was your quality win?

I'm not trollin', I just like to hear a fan's perspective.

I like Jimbo a lot as a person and as a head coach.  He's very detail-oriented and expects perfection.  I think the best thing he could do would be to hire a quality offensive coordinator so that he could concentrate solely on running the team.  He is a top-notch recruiter, and has built a good deal of quality depth in 2+ years.  His biggest problem as I see it goes back to the offensive gameplanning.  His offense is pretty complex and tough to pick up, so it's hard for freshmen to run it properly, plus he gets too conservative a lot of times.  It's a typical SEC mentality.  I think if he would spread the field a little and get his playmakers in space, I think our offense would be a lot more productive, but like I said he tends to go conservative too much and rely on the defense.

As for the defense, we're stout.  Stoops, Hudson, and Eliot have more than exceeded expectations.  Another good showing this year and Stoops will probably be a head coach somewhere, which means Hudson will take over, which is not a bad thing.

Our biggest problem last year was injuries on the OL.  In the bowl game, we started 4 freshmen.  That said, they grew up pretty quickly and played well in the 2nd half, so hopefully with some added S&C and a good offseason they'll be a better unit next year. 

I'm not really high on last year - the losses to Wake and Virginia were uncalled for, but we ended on a good note in beating ND, and winning both our in-state rivalry games.

Big Fan

Quote from: olddog79 on February 07, 2012, 02:33:07 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 07, 2012, 09:04:22 am
I enjoy an occassional spurt. ;)
I believe you are on the wrong website.

Busman

Razorbacks vs. Scarlet Knights possibility.  Intriguing!

Wahls

zebradynasty

Busman

Seriously?  32 miles from downtown Manhattan?  If it happens, I'm there!

fastdrop

Rutgers........... lol

and it is a home and home

way to go

sevenof400

If this occurs, good for Arkansas from the standpoint of potentially opening new recruiting areas. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 09, 2012, 05:53:21 pm
If this occurs, good for Arkansas from the standpoint of potentially opening new recruiting areas. 

IN NEW JERSEY!! ???

Ridge Rat

sevenof400

There is talent in the northeast US and given that the 800 lb gorilla in the room has been neutered (that being Penn St.) why not try and establish a pipeline to the talent in that part of the country?

Wahls

New Jersey kicks out WAAAAAAAAAAAY more talent than Arkansas does every year.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Wahls on February 09, 2012, 10:12:03 pm
New Jersey kicks out WAAAAAAAAAAAY more talent than Arkansas does every year.

That's not the issue. Arkansas cannot waste it's recruiting time and budget trying to convince kids in New Jersey to come play down in Arkansas. If we were gonna chase long shots I say increase our efforts in Florida but New Jersey...put that idea back in the oven it's half baked!

Romeo

They tried to increase their efforts in Florida, particularly the South Florida area and it didn't work. Their doing the smart idea increasing recruiting in Arizona and New Jersey, two states with blue chip prospects and no top football programs.

sevenof400 is correct. Penn State was one of the biggest grabbers of New Jersey prospects. With that program in turmoil it opens up the floodgates some more. Petrino wants to make sure Asoceles isn't the only NJ prospect we get.

Hoghead

You think former Hog WR Derrrick Hollaway could help out. I think he's the last New Jersey kid to come our way until this year. Hollaway was fast ! I like him back in the day. He could get deep on those Lou Holtz run 1st teams. He was always running past people !

Romeo

Quote from: Hoghead on February 10, 2012, 12:04:44 am
You think former Hog WR Derrrick Hollaway could help out. I think he's the last New Jersey kid to come our way until this year. Hollaway was fast ! I like him back in the day. He could get deep on those Lou Holtz run 1st teams. He was always running past people !

Not exactly. We have one player currently from New Jersey on the team, Matt Marshall.

fastdrop

Just what NWA needs - some more darn yankees.

I am all for it ---- get the heck out of Arkansas -- Lets just do this.

I say take the area in red and make it a state unto itself

and call it  --- mexayankhogolopiss.

zebradynasty

You really think Penn State is down for the count? I don't see it becoming another Notre Dame. With limits on recruiting budgets and visits I just find it hard to believe the payoff is gonna be that big recruiting New Jersey! Arizona seems to be picking up for us but that's because we have a coach with Arizona ties. Who from UA can go up to New Jersey?

sevenof400

They (Penn St) certainly won't recover from the recent events for a long time - certainly the opportunity exists to get some of that talent from the NE and perhaps establish relationship(s) in that area.  I admit it's not a slam dunk for Arkansas but given the opportunity that has presented itself, Arkansas must take advantage of it. 

Petrino's history of a pass oriented offense will certainly entice the skill players from that area to look at Arkansas but I would see a NE pipeline possibly providing inroads to more lineman. 

I would think that Petrino might also look for an addition (or fill the next opening) to the coaching staff with ties from this area. 

zebradynasty

I think you're underestimating Penn State! If Arkansas can bounce back so fast from the HDN fiasco...Penn State most certainly can. Better school, better, financed, better fans, better  tradition...got way too much going for it to lay down.

Besides that we need to develop ties with areas that can provide us with SEC grade DT, LB and DB. New Jersey isn't exactly known for that. As long as BP is coach I don't foresee UA having problems attracting talent at the skill positions, QB or the OL.

Busman

I think everyone is missing the point.  It's not about recruiting, even though it wouldn't hurt.  It's playing a team from a BCS conference, in the biggest media market in the world.  If you want to be ranked in polls, particularly in pre-season, you need the East Coast media to recognize you.  It's much easier to get in the top five if you start in the top ten.  Getting a chance to beat the current east coast "champion" (Connecticut being the other one) twice gets you that exposure.   

zebradynasty

I can go with that explanation better but Arkansas problem isn't media exposure (at lease it's not #1). We need the players that can go into Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Tenn, FL and win games. We do that...the votes will come. The fact we finished in the top 5 after getting our butt kicked by the top two teams in the nation shows that we have a decent amount of respect among the media and coaches. I agree playing in the east coast market would be a great media attention getter.

I guess I am still a little raw from the recruiting class and now everything for me is about doing better on recruiting.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 10, 2012, 12:34:53 pm
I can go with that explanation better but Arkansas problem isn't media exposure (at lease it's not #1). We need the players that can go into Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Tenn, FL and win games. We do that...the votes will come. The fact we finished in the top 5 after getting our butt kicked by the top two teams in the nation shows that we have a decent amount of respect among the media and coaches. I agree playing in the east coast market would be a great media attention getter.

I guess I am still a little raw from the recruiting class and now everything for me is about doing better on recruiting.

Yep.  Enough of this 3 star into 5 stars by the time they graduate.

We have good facilities, a good fan base, a lot of money, play in the best conference in all the land, etc.

It is time to start taking 5 star athletes and turning them into LEGENDS by the time they graduate.

InYoGrill

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on February 10, 2012, 01:04:44 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 10, 2012, 12:34:53 pm

Yep.  Enough of this 3 star into 5 stars by the time they graduate.

We have good facilities, a good fan base, a lot of money, play in the best conference in all the land, etc.

It is time to start taking 5 star athletes and turning them into LEGENDS by the time they graduate.

Now, I like that type of thinking. With Petrino at the helm, there is no limit on what we can get to campus.

yeah buddy

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 10, 2012, 10:18:38 am
I think you're underestimating Penn State! If Arkansas can bounce back so fast from the HDN fiasco...Penn State most certainly can. Better school, better, financed, better fans, better  tradition...got way too much going for it to lay down.

Besides that we need to develop ties with areas that can provide us with SEC grade DT, LB and DB. New Jersey isn't exactly known for that. As long as BP is coach I don't foresee UA having problems attracting talent at the skill positions, QB or the OL.

I can't think of a description that even does that statement justice, apples to oranges certainly does not cut it. With Nutt, there was no 24/7 coverage on the national sports network letting the country know minute-by-minute details of a scandal. Criminal allegations, they have to recover from criminal allegations. Not a mediocre coach being consistently  inconsistent. There is not a single comparison or analogy to be made between what happened with us and Nutt to them and Paterno/Sandusky/little boys/jail. None whatsoever.

Romeo

The problem is were not getting those 5 star players, even with Petrino as coach and the success we've had the past few seasons. Arkansas historically has never been in competition for five star players except if their in-state. DGB is one of the very few five star recruit outside of Arkansas we had a legit shot of getting. Maybe the completion of the new ops center will help boost recruiting but for now were a program that will have to do more with less to be successful.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas