• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beckham to commit to Mizzou...Tenpenny to Bama...

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, January 30, 2012, 12:06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: fastdrop on January 31, 2012, 08:36:47 am
How can anybody ..... ANYBODY DOUBT PETRINO'S RESULTS????????????

I think we the State of Arkansas has 2 of the top 20 college head football coaches as I type this.

Petrino yes, I can certainly agree with that. Petrino may be in the top 5 college coaches in the country and he certainly will be if the recruiting picks up. I am assuming your second coach is Malzahn, but Malzahn has never been a head coach at a D-1 school (isn't really now), so how can he be a top twenty coach?

Big Fan

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 31, 2012, 02:25:18 pm

I think we the State of Arkansas has 2 of the top 20 college head football coaches as I type this.

Petrino yes, I can certainly agree with that. Petrino may be in the top 5 college coaches in the country and he certainly will be if the recruiting picks up. I am assuming your second coach is Malzahn, but Malzahn has never been a head coach at a D-1 school (isn't really now), so how can he be a top twenty coach?
....that's what I was thinking!  Let him win a game before we appoint him Top 20.   ::)

fastdrop

Quote from: Big Fan on January 31, 2012, 08:45:57 pm

....that's what I was thinking!  Let him win a game before we appoint him Top 20.   ::)
just take my word on it....

AirWarren

Malzahn is not a top twenty coach in the state.

Peety

AirWarren

Cam newton at QB.
Tulsa in a sorry conference.
Assistant coach is all he is proven to be.

He is not top 20.

the green moose

Quote from: AW on February 01, 2012, 01:09:02 am
Cam newton at QB.

He is not top 20.
Cam Newton at QB won a Heisman and Auburn a national title and a starting QB job with the panthers AND rookie of the year just sayin lol ....the Moose is neutral in this debate about Malzahn, just stating facts and stirring the pot

AirWarren

Quote from: the green moose on February 01, 2012, 01:43:07 am
Cam newton at QB.

He is not top 20.
Cam Newton at QB won a Heisman and Auburn a national title and a starting QB job with the panthers AND rookie of the year just sayin lol ....the Moose is neutral in this debate about Malzahn, just stating facts and stirring the pot

You're proving my point my moose friend! Anyone could win with that guy at QB. He was a freak athlete! So no, I'm not sold on Malzahn being a top 20 coach.

the green moose

Quote from: AW on February 01, 2012, 02:42:29 am
Quote from: the green moose on February 01, 2012, 01:43:07 am
Cam newton at QB.

He is not top 20.

You're proving my point my moose friend! Anyone could win with that guy at QB. He was a freak athlete! So no, I'm not sold on Malzahn being a top 20 coach.
Good to hear lol

fastdrop

Cam newton at QB.

He is not top 20.
ever heard of Calipari - I read the same type thing about him while he was the Tigers coach/

anybody can win with those type players....LOL

getting the players is the most important aspect of the job.... doofus

Mulerider

Quote from: Big Fan on January 31, 2012, 08:45:57 pm

And let Petrino win a conference title before saying he is a Top 5 coach in the country!

zebradynasty

I hope we pull it off but I don't have a lot confidence right now!

AirWarren

Quote from: fastdrop on February 01, 2012, 07:20:32 am
Cam newton at QB.

He is not top 20.
ever heard of Calipari - I read the same type thing about him while he was the Tigers coach/

anybody can win with those type players....LOL

getting the players is the most important aspect of the job.... doofus

Because Tulsa had the players.

Cam got snatched up because no one wanted him. Last ditch effort from a mad fan base who was unhappy about their coach hire in  chizek. The thug had no where to go. Got lucky. Auburn was awful last year.

Flipping doofus.

yeah buddy

RD™

He can hae fun hoisting the Independence Bowl Trophy while we are hoisting a BCS Bowl trophy this season.

God luck to him, but Mizzou will never outgun, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina

olddog79

Quote from: AW on January 31, 2012, 10:23:52 pm
Gotta call BS on that statement.

True Believer

I have the crash cart ready for the fans that think the end of the world has come.

It will be ok.  The Hogs will be fine. 

Wahls

I'm really surprised that Courtney Garner flipped to OU after DGB went to Mizzouri... Odd.

...and I want to know how much Jimbo is paying his recruits WTH

We're building quality depth folks.

CathywithaC

Quote from: olddog79 on February 01, 2012, 10:23:25 am
Quote from: AW on January 31, 2012, 10:23:52 pm
Gotta call BS on that statement.
Yeah, in the state--probably so--in the nation, not!!

Romeo

Not surprising with Gardner. He wasn't going to be eligible to play if he signed with Arkansas. SEC academic standards are more stringent than Big 12 standards. SEC requires JUCO players to have College Algebra in order to transfer. He didn't have it and it didn't look like he wasn't going to get it.

He wanted to be a hog but at Oklahoma he's eligible to play now which is why decided to sign with them.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: Mulerider on January 31, 2012, 01:27:43 pm
Quote from: Wahls on January 31, 2012, 10:13:17 am
Quote from: Mulerider on January 30, 2012, 05:49:03 pmI mean really, any kid that visits Arkansas, LSU and Alabama, unless they have Hog blood running through their veins would put Arkansas 3rd on the list.

And that's exactly the opposite of how it went with DGB. How funny.

For sure!  Can you really take a kid seriously that would pick freaking Missouri in football when they have their choice of schools to go to?

Umm its more to picking a school than just based off the ranking at the end of the season.  Family is important (Gunner Kiel leaves to go to ND), education is great ( NO.6 DE just signed with Northwestern) and surrounding around campus life.  Kid is #1 recruit out of the nation. I think he should be taken very seriously.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on February 01, 2012, 11:34:45 am
Quote from: Mulerider on January 30, 2012, 05:49:03 pmI mean really, any kid that visits Arkansas, LSU and Alabama, unless they have Hog blood running through their veins would put Arkansas 3rd on the list.

For sure!  Can you really take a kid seriously that would pick freaking Missouri in football when they have their choice of schools to go to?

Umm its more to picking a school than just based off the ranking at the end of the season.  Family is important (Gunner Kiel leaves to go to ND), education is great ( NO.6 DE just signed with Northwestern) and surrounding around campus life.  Kid is #1 recruit out of the nation. I think he should be taken very seriously.
I see what you are saying but, the QB at Mizzou is a run oriented QB and is not nearly as good as Wilson. Mizzou is not as good of a program right now. Pinkel is not as good of a coach as Petrino and UA is closer to his parents than UM. Just doesn't make sense. What Romeo said makes more sense so far and that is the Garrick McGee leaving factor. One of his friends that signed with OU tweeted DGB this morning and said, Have fun blocking for the QB at Mizzou...mind boggling...

Wahls

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 01, 2012, 12:54:19 pmOne of his friends that signed with OU tweeted DGB this morning and said, Have fun blocking for the QB at Mizzou...mind boggling...

True story.

sevenof400

Quote from: Wahls on February 01, 2012, 10:56:00 am
....We're building quality depth folks.

With a class that doesn't (at least yet) rank in the top 25? 

This is a surprise.  With last year's results (including the Cotton Bowl victory), one would have reasonably expected a much better recruiting performance today.  Some introspective analysis would be a worthwhile exercise. 

Wahls

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 01, 2012, 01:12:14 pm

This is a surprise.  With last year's results (including the Cotton Bowl victory), one would have reasonably expected a much better recruiting performance today.  Some introspective analysis would be a worthwhile exercise. 

2008 class was a high 20's recruiting class if I remember right. It got reclassified as a top 5 or 6 class.

The difference between Arkansas and teams like Texas, Florida, Florida State, etc. are that when players leave Arkansas, they're not the exact same as when they got here. They get better. We got some guys that are not even close to being done getting better.

IBM

Quote from: RD™ on February 01, 2012, 10:21:33 am
He can hae fun hoisting the Independence Bowl Trophy while we are hoisting a BCS Bowl trophy this season.

God luck to him, but Mizzou will never outgun, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina

SEC does not have a tie in to the Indy Bowl anymore; plus Alabama and LSU are going to be better than Arkansas again...sorry, .No BCS bowl in Arky near future

Mulerider

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 01, 2012, 01:12:14 pm

I think the best introspective analysis is, well, Arkansas is still Arkansas.  Regardless of the last two years of record breaking success the program is still not mentioned in the same sentence as the elite programs in the country.  There is simply very little, if any, reason for a big time out of state player to go to Fayetteville.  I'll be called ugly names over this post but it is simply reality.

I hoped the Hogs would get DGB because it is good for the conference (thought he would go to OU) but at least he stayed in the conference by choosing Mizzou (the new Ole Miss of the SEC East). 

Romeo

While the 2008 class ended up being a stellar class, a majority of the recruits were already recruited and committed to Houston Nutt before he left. For his credit, Petrino did re-recruit most of the commits and was able to get Tyler Wilson and Dennis Johnson who weren't committed at the time.

War Eagle

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 01, 2012, 12:54:19 pm

I see what you are saying but, the QB at Mizzou is a run oriented QB and is not nearly as good as Wilson. Mizzou is not as good of a program right now. Pinkel is not as good of a coach as Petrino and UA is closer to his parents than UM. Just doesn't make sense. What Romeo said makes more sense so far and that is the Garrick McGee leaving factor. One of his friends that signed with OU tweeted DGB this morning and said, Have fun blocking for the QB at Mizzou...mind boggling...

Is it not a possibility that he saw the "logjam" of receivers at Arkansas and thought he would lose touches because he is competing with other very good receivers?

War Eagle

Cam newton at QB.

He is not top 20.

Geez, all I remember hearing was how poor of a QB Cam Newton was and how he was only successful because he was a system QB.  That being said, I do not believe Malzahn is top 20 in the nation right now

sevenof400

Quote from: Wahls on February 01, 2012, 01:21:35 pm
2008 class was a high 20's recruiting class if I remember right. It got reclassified as a top 5 or 6 class.

Those reratings of recruiting classes are interesting articles and probably are as good of a reference on how much a player develops while at their chosen school.  The current Arkansas staff has a good bit of work in front of them but given their track record, it will be interesting to watch.  I'll be curious to see if the positive rerating trend continues with the 2009 class..

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: War Eagle on February 01, 2012, 01:49:16 pm

Is it not a possibility that he saw the "logjam" of receivers at Arkansas and thought he would lose touches because he is competing with other very good receivers?
WE, I kinda doubt that. DGB could compete and play before most anyone. Who knows, you may be right...

Chief_Osceola™

February 01, 2012, 05:32:30 pm #82 Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:35:17 pm by Chief_Osceola™
I'm really surprised that Courtney Garner flipped to OU after DGB went to Mizzouri... Odd.

I know you're joking, but in case anyone thinks you're being serious, I'll help them out.

Jimbo and his staff are just outstanding recruiters.  Keep in mind he has coached under Nick Saban, who is probably the best recruiter in college football.  Plus, consider this - a lot of our kids are in-state talent, and the guys we got from Alabama were recruited by Dameuyne (sp?) Craig, who has some pretty long-standing ties to the Bama schools.  As for Mario Edwards Jr., he's an FSU legacy so no big shocker there.  We just have the luxury of being in a very fertile recruiting ground.

Anyway, sorry about DGB, but Arkansas will be fine.  Like you said, quality depth.  And we got screwed over by a 5-star ourselves today.  Fowler flipped to the crocs.  But that's fine because he's an attention idiot primadonna who saw our DL depth chart and decided he's afraid of competition.  Butch Davis hammered him on ESPNU this morning. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: War Eagle on February 01, 2012, 01:49:16 pm

If he's afraid of competition, then he's not somebody Arkansas wants anyway.  That's how I'd look at it if I were a Hog fan.  See my above post about Dante Fowler.  Not the same personality, but I think that's why he decided to go to UF.

AirWarren

I actually hate hogville. They live in another world.

If you get your jollies from harassing a kid on Facebook/twitter etc to go to college somewhere you need a life.

Romeo

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 01, 2012, 05:32:30 pm

I know you're joking, but in case anyone thinks you're being serious, I'll help them out.

Jimbo and his staff are just outstanding recruiters.  Keep in mind he has coached under Nick Saban, who is probably the best recruiter in college football.  Plus, consider this - a lot of our kids are in-state talent, and the guys we got from Alabama were recruited by Dameuyne (sp?) Craig, who has some pretty long-standing ties to the Bama schools.  As for Mario Edwards Jr., he's an FSU legacy so no big shocker there.  We just have the luxury of being in a very fertile recruiting ground.

Anyway, sorry about DGB, but Arkansas will be fine.  Like you said, quality depth.  And we got screwed over by a 5-star ourselves today.  Fowler flipped to the crocs.  But that's fine because he's an attention idiot primadonna who saw our DL depth chart and decided he's afraid of competition.  Butch Davis hammered him on ESPNU this morning. 

Seems like Mario Edwards Sr was playing like ten years ago. He has to be in his mid 30s right?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Romeo on February 01, 2012, 06:51:26 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 01, 2012, 05:32:30 pm

Seems like Mario Edwards Sr was playing like ten years ago. He has to be in his mid 30s right?

Yep, if I remember correctly he played on FSU's national champion team in 1999.  I think Mario Jr. was born when he was still in high school.  Mario Sr. was an outstanding football player too.  It's kind of funny that Mario Jr. is a big DT, while Sr. was a defensive back.

fastdrop

Wahls

I'll give you a prime example as to why you guys shouldn't freak out about our rating.

Rivals rated that as a two star.

AirWarren

fastdrop

Quote from: AW on February 01, 2012, 09:54:00 pm
Quote from: fastdrop on February 01, 2012, 09:27:15 pm
WITH did the Razorbacks get ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

WTH do you care so much for???
There you go
thinking with your toe

What did the master nail down? Any defensive finds or is the Hogs just going to outscore bama, lsu, and the gators.

Brian G

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: Wahls on February 01, 2012, 09:48:58 pm
I'll give you a prime example as to why you guys shouldn't freak out about our rating.

yet, you were advocating how rivals had the most sensible ratings a few weeks ago.

The Snowman

I can't believe people got their panties all in a wad about 1 recruit!  Be happy about the guys we picked up.  We were able to flip a few to us, its a part of the game.  DGB would've been a great pick up, but we have some capable receivers on the hill already.  We picked up some pretty good players on defense and we are still in the running for Diamond.

ppop

Quote from: Romeo on February 01, 2012, 01:42:31 pm
While the 2008 class ended up being a stellar class, a majority of the recruits were already recruited and committed to Houston Nutt before he left. For his credit, Petrino did re-recruit most of the commits and was able to get Tyler Wilson and Dennis Johnson who weren't committed at the time.
Joe Adams? He was headed to USC, right?

Wahls

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on February 02, 2012, 12:17:27 am
Quote from: Wahls on February 01, 2012, 09:48:58 pm

yet, you were advocating how rivals had the most sensible ratings a few weeks ago.

They are the most sensible and they are probably the most accurate too.

But that doesn't mean they're always right.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: fastdrop on February 01, 2012, 10:04:06 pm
Quote from: AW on February 01, 2012, 09:54:00 pm
Quote from: fastdrop on February 01, 2012, 09:27:15 pm
WITH did the Razorbacks get ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

WTH do you care so much for???
There you go
thinking with your toe

What did the master nail down? Any defensive finds or is the Hogs just going to outscore bama, lsu, and the gators.

They shouldn't have much problem outscoring Florida.  That offense is a train wreck and they missed on pretty much all their offensive playmaker prospects.

sevenof400

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 02, 2012, 01:47:30 pmThey shouldn't have much problem outscoring Florida.  That offense is a train wreck and they missed on pretty much all their offensive playmaker prospects.

How do you fall so far, so fast when you are in the middle of the richest supply of talent in the U.S.?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 02, 2012, 01:59:09 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 02, 2012, 01:47:30 pmThey shouldn't have much problem outscoring Florida.  That offense is a train wreck and they missed on pretty much all their offensive playmaker prospects.

How do you fall so far, so fast when you are in the middle of the richest supply of talent in the U.S.?

For one, they no longer have Coach Weis and his decided schematic advantage.  Second, they were trying to run a new system with Urban's players.  Third, their QB's are garbage regardless of the system they run.  For whatever reason, it seems that Miami and FSU get the quality skill players in-state, and of the ones that Florida gets, a lot of them recently haven't panned out.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas