• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Razorback Football 2011-12 (Hogs Only)

Started by Brian G, July 07, 2011, 08:49:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

This thread is about the Hogs and hogs only.  You want to talk about other teams, take it somewhere besides this thread.  The exception is if we are playing that team that week or soon.  It's not about other crap.

Do not try me

We'll start with predictions.  I'll go with two losses and a BCS bowl win.

Yours?

Uncle Ivan

Not even Nebraska? 

Wait, nobody here gives a tin crap about Nebraska.

I'll go 11-1, maybe 10-2.  Losses in Tuscaloosa and possibly at LSU, although their idiot coach may find a way to lose.

InYoGrill

Here we go:

10-1 reg season, only loss at Tusco. Hogs win a thriller in the Rouge after Miles gets a  case of dumbolia again late in the game.

We play FL in the SEC game and win by 10. BCS bowl against OKLA. We lose in a nail biter by 3 and finish ranked #8 in the country.

Brian G

I guess you're counting on Bama losing to two SEC foes to help us into the League Finals.  :)

cotnhauler

I am really looking forward to seeing TW play.  I feel like he may be one of those guys that has the IT quality. May be wrong but I hope not.  Just always felt like something was missing with RM, even as good as he is.

RD™

I'm actually of the sound mind, that I think we can crush Alabama. They can't rely on their defense the entire game. Also, our interior defensive line will load the box and will stop Trent Richardson, who is AJ McCarron going to throw it too...Julio (I went to the NFL) Jones?

I see the Alabama game as the pinnacle point of our National Title Hopes

InYoGrill

Quote from: B.G. on July 07, 2011, 09:19:41 pm
I guess you're counting on Bama losing to two SEC foes to help us into the League Finals.  :)

Counting and hopeful by nature.  8)

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: PC™ on July 07, 2011, 10:05:31 pmThey can't rely on their defense the entire game.

Sure they can.  Ten returning starters on a Saban defense is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus, McCarron can throw to Maze (who has burned us before), Hanks, and another WR with Julio Jones' size by the name of Duron Carter.

Taking them down is going to be a tall order, especially since they'll be tested by then with a road trip to Penn State, and Arkansas opening the sched with three cupcakes.

DerekOxford

I see the Alabama game as the pinnacle point of our National Title Hopes
[/quote]

Truth. They are the only Western opponent that Petrino has not yet beaten. If he finds a way to win in Tuscaloosa, the door is wide open for us to become the fourth West team to win a national championship in the last five years.

trevster10

I think we can beat Bama. I know their offense doesn't have much to it, but I still don't think they will be ready for a much improved Razorback defense. They do have a game against Penn State before, but I don't think their completely redesigned offense will be meshing just yet.

Yes, I'm aware we have to rebuild 3/5 of our offensive line as well, but I think we have a better shot of getting that figured out than Alabama does getting their QB/WR's figured out in the games leading up to our game down in Tuscaloosa.

Now, the LSU game on the other hand... Really just kinda depends. We'll have to get closer to the game before we can get a real good read on this game. Still has the potential to be a national championship winning-caliber team, in my opinion.

Romeo

I see this year's Arkansas team looking similar to the 2007 Warren team, ironically enough three of the players on that team are playing for the hogs. We have a lot of talent at the skill positions but questions on the offensive line might cost us some games. Right now, I can't see us beating Bama in Tuscaloosa. Texas A&M will be close. Ole Miss is a classic trap game. LSU is overrated and beatable.

Father Guido

Hog's Defense should be improved and could actually be VERY good.

I feel the key to this year's success will be how the O-line comes together.  With all the skill players, we have the potential to be a VERY versatile Offense that can take advantage of what ever the defense gives us.  I think TW will do a very good job of spreading the wealth around and be a more than adequate replacement for Mallett.  Doesn't have the rocket that Malleltt does, (but who does), but I think there are several areas where he will be better than Mallett.

With a solid field goal kicker, that allows your offense to take some chances and opens up some options once you get inside the 40.  If our kick coverage teams can improve to where they don't open the door to let teams back in the game after we score like they did all last year, we should do very well.

11-1

pantherblue

I hope TW comes through and doesn't throw it to the wrong guys to often...  Lord knows all his WR are getting world beater acclaim and a great RB so there won't be any excuses...

True Fan

12-0

SEC West Champions

SEC Champions

BCS National Champions

GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cotnhauler

Just turned on the TV and saw that we won the sugar bowl last year.  Or is it they didn't win either? I guess thats really how goes.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: cotnhauler on July 08, 2011, 06:03:41 pm
    Just turned on the TV and saw that we won the sugar bowl last year.  Or is it they didn't win either? I guess thats really how goes.

I don't want the win.  Arkansas didn't earn it on the field.

If OSU returns the trophy, they can give it back to the Sugar Bowl.  Reuse it or something.

Indiana Jones

a game by game prediction

Missouri State- 66-3   (1-0)-Hogs get fat on first cupcake of the season
New Mexico- 73-6 (2-0)- take your  check and beating  and go home Lobos
Troy- 24-14 (3-0) played in monsoon, ugly win
@ Alabama 21-17 (4-0) - record setting CBS audience see Hogs come back from 17-7  with 12 minutes left to secure the win
Texas A&M 28-24 (5-0)- desperation heave picked off as Hogs survive
* 56-13 (6-0) even Pen Wagers won't be able to keep them from getting  blown out
@ Old Pizz- 70-17 (7-0)   Nutt has flashbacks to '05 at U$C
@ Vanderbilt 45-6 (8-0)no   FG falling short needed to    get out of Nashville with a W
South Carolina- 38-17 (9-0) lots of visors  being thrown on the SC sidelines
Tennessee 42-14 (10-0) the vuls   get  sent to the showers early, played in a nasty ice storm
Miss State 45-10 (11-0) another trip to WMS for the Dogs another loss in The Rock
@LSwho-37-27(12-0) the bayou bungals  hold a 24-6  half time lead but the 2nd half is all Hogs as Lest Miles gets booed out of the stadium
Florida (SECCG) 28-17 (13-0) the Gaytors get chomped
Oklahoma (BCSCG) 28-21 all the "experts"  have the Sooners winning but  BP and company foil those plans

2011 National Champions

-No  NCAA sanctions

RD™

Brian G

DerekOxford

Quote from: Indiana Jones on July 08, 2011, 07:10:11 pm

@ Alabama 21-17 (4-0) - record setting CBS audience see Hogs come back from 17-7  with 12 minutes left to secure the win
* 56-13 (6-0) even Pen Wagers won't be able to keep them from getting  blown out
@ Vanderbilt 45-6 (8-0)no   FG falling short needed to    get out of Nashville with a W
Tennessee 42-14 (10-0) the vuls   get  sent to the showers early, played in a nasty ice storm
Miss State 45-10 (11-0) another trip to WMS for the Dogs another loss in The Rock
@LSwho-37-27(12-0) the bayou bungals  hold a 24-6  half time lead but the 2nd half is all Hogs as Lest Miles gets booed out of the stadium
Oklahoma (BCSCG) 28-21 all the "experts"  have the Sooners winning but  BP and company foil those plans

2011 National Champions

-No  NCAA sanctions

If this happens I'm buying you a beer

AirWarren

Oden is an idiot. Adios thug.

Hogs 11-1
Loss to LSU. HARD to win AT death valley (hope this doesn't happen)

BCS bowl game win.....
I wont get too far over my head with this prediction.
I won'

sevenof400

sevenof400

Quote from: AirWarren on July 09, 2011, 08:07:44 pm
Oden is an idiot......

Which begs the question of why he was recruited in the first place.  Doesn't anyone do background work on recruits? 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Missouri State - W - Arkansas gets the O-line and Tyler settled in and a little comfortable...
New Mexico - W - Getting a little more confident this week...
Troy - W - This game troubles me a little. Troy is usually pretty good and the very next week Arkansas plays bama. Can't get caught looking ahead...
@Alabama - W - I am giving Arkansas the win here, but if the o-line and TW do not progress quickly enough this could get bad for the hogs. I'm counting on Petrino to get it done...
A&M @ Arlington - W - Arkansas has owned A&M as of late...it should continue...
Auburn - W - payback is heck and Auburn finds out the hard way...
Ole Miss - W - OM is headed down the toilet. Wonder how much longer the fans put up with HDN...
Vandy - W - Bye week for the Hogs...
South Carolina - W - Spurrier gets a taste of Arkansas hospitality...Homecoming Style...
Tennessee - W - Ugly year for the Vols...
Mississippi State - W - This game will be a nailbiter...
@LSU - L - Tough to win down there...but Les Miles could easily hand us a victory...

LSU will have two losses so the Hogs win the West...

SECCG - W - Get revenge on Florida...

BCS Game - I will wait and see who emerges...

Note; this all depends on how well the O-line comes together and if Tyler Wilson becomes the QB that we all think he can be...should be a stellar year for the Hogs...

powerlifter90

9-4

losses to aTm, BAMA, and LSU during the season. 

loss in bowl to Big 10 #2 (NU or MSU)

I would have the hogs with a better season but I don't think the O-line will be able to protect TW vs a good and more experienced D-line.  Wilson is a good QB but lacks the experience to overcome a weak (inexperienced) O-line.  With the emergence last season of Davis as a running threat I think he will be a force this season, it will take the pressure off, some, but not enough. 

fastdrop

Quote from: Indiana Jones on July 08, 2011, 07:10:11 pm

2011 National Champions

-No  NCAA sanctions

I have watched Hog football waaaaayyyyyyyy to long to believe in a Santa Hog... but I am glad to see Hog fans being realistic again. Sarcasm just in case Indiana did not notice.

I pick 2 to 3 loses and a BCS bowl game for a top 10 finish. Which would be a great accomplishment for the Hogs this year.

69llebj

I'm going with 10-2 regular season & a BCS bowl game victory.

trevster10

I'll be a little different and say 10-2 with a Capital One Bowl win. I think the ALA/LSU winner goes to the NC, and the loser goes to the Sugar Bowl.

sevenof400

For reasons I won't repeat here, I have made it known on more than one occasion that I am not a fan of Bobby Petrino.  I will however take a moment to say that Petrino did the right thing in dismissing Anthony Oden from the team for a DWI.  Drunken driving should NEVER be tolerated anywhere. 

Now I might have thought more of Petrino had he dismissed Oden after Oden's first offense though...

the green moose

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 16, 2011, 03:03:49 pm
For reasons I won't repeat here, I have made it known on more than one occasion that I am not a fan of Bobby Petrino.  I will however take a moment to say that Petrino did the right thing in dismissing Anthony Oden from the team for a DWI.  Drunken driving should NEVER be tolerated anywhere. 

Now I might have thought more of Petrino had he dismissed Oden after Oden's first offense though...
First offense was possesion right?

Ridge Rat

First time was DWI. All I remember anyway. Anybody can screw up once. Same charge twice in a year? Get rid of the trash.

gatecrasher

The Alabama game in Tuscaloosa may very well be the biggest regular season game in the history of Razorback football. Why?

Because a win there catapults the Hogs into the top 5 and smack-dab into the national title race. A win there and I think we run the table and win the SEC.

I believe we will get past a good aTm team and LSuckU too. Jordan Jefferson is teh suck, and I don't think the Bad Hatter is smart enough to go with that big-armed UGA transfer at QB like I think he should.

Ex-HAplayer

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 17, 2011, 10:36:49 am
The Alabama game in Tuscaloosa may very well be the biggest regular season game in the history of Razorback football. Why?

Because a win there catapults the Hogs into the top 5 and smack-dab into the national title race. A win there and I think we run the table and win the SEC.

I believe we will get past a good aTm team and LSuckU too. Jordan Jefferson is teh suck, and I don't think the Bad Hatter is smart enough to go with that big-armed UGA transfer at QB like I think he should.

you say that every year not knowing who is going to surprise folks and who is all hype.  Too be honest, LSU is probably the best team in the SEC west.  Oregon game will say alot of them. You might want to mark that down as the biggest game.

zebradynasty

Not gonna get into wins and losses just yet. For most of last season, I was not impressed with our OL! Playing against teams like Bama, LSU, with a suspect OL...not sure we can get away with it 2 years in a row! We are depending on a lot of inexperience kids up front to play lights out...it can happen but I am not ready to say THIS IS THE YEAR!

Coach Jones

8 wins.

Losses to Alabama...........because they are pretty darn good, and there.
Loss to A&M...........only reason I put this is that we have beaten them several times in a row and they are bound to get lucky sooner or later.
Loss to any one of the other 4 SEC teams (Ole Nutt gets his kids up for this one,  Miss St, LSU, or Tenn which is getting better)  just too hard to sweep the rest they have kids on scholarship too you know.

8 wins and maybe a 9th in a bowl.

gatecrasher

July 17, 2011, 04:17:12 pm #36 Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:23:29 pm by gatecrasher
Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 17, 2011, 10:44:54 am
Quote from: gatecrasher on July 17, 2011, 10:36:49 am

you say that every year not knowing who is going to surprise folks and who is all hype.  Too be honest, LSU is probably the best team in the SEC west.  Oregon game will say alot of them. You might want to mark that down as the biggest game.
You have a reading comprehension deficiency. No, the Loser State/ Oregon game would not have any chance of being the most important game in the history of RAZORBACK FOOTBALL.

I do not care about any other team. The facts are these about the Hogs:
•They will open the season somewhere in the 12-14 range in the polls that count.
•They will start 3-0 with wins over Missouri St, New Mexico, and Troy, putting them just outside the top 10 at a minimum.
•A win in Tuscaloosa over a top-ranked or, at worst, a #2 ranked Crimson Tide team will vault them into the top 5. It will be a travesty if they aren't.
•If not, then aTm is the week after Bama. Should the Aggies beat Ok State (top 10 team in most polls I have seen) the same day the Hogs play Bama, then the Aggies will be in the top 10 when they play Arkansas in Dallas. Try to tell me a 5-0 start by the Hogs with the latter two wins against top 10 teams doesn't put us in the top 5.

Don't hate because Scam is gone and your Tiger Cubs will be irrelevant on the national stage.

By the way, unless Les Miles grows some cerebral mass and benches Jordan Jefferson in favor of Zach Mettenberger, the Tigresses will lose at least three. And, they may get blown out by Oregon in the opener, although they should be good defensively.

Ex-HAplayer

Yeah I need to hate because your program has accomplished so much right??? All I am saying is even if you beat Bama, Lsu is going to be ranked high already. Chances are if you even even even get by Bama (Very Slim) you can meet an undefeated LSU team. Not that hard to see.

gatecrasher

Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 17, 2011, 04:19:21 pm
Yeah I need to hate because your program has accomplished so much right??? All I am saying is even if you beat Bama, Lsu is going to be ranked high already. Chances are if you even even even get by Bama (Very Slim) you can meet an undefeated LSU team. Not that hard to see.
LSU will not go unbeaten. See my amended post above.

Ex-HAplayer

July 17, 2011, 04:27:38 pm #39 Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:33:28 pm by Ex-HAplayer
Your opinion.  Beating Alabama is just one hurdle of the many that it is going to take win an SEC title and go to a BCS game. To be honest with you that Bama game could be setting up a trap game for Arkansas with Texas A&M.  What good is it to beat Bama, if you lose two or three down the road.  That game is far early in the season.  However, what if you do beat Bama go undefeated and meet a undefeated or 1 loss LSU team that could be in the way of SEC or National title hopes. 

The Snowman

gatecrasher

July 17, 2011, 06:43:39 pm #41 Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:48:39 pm by gatecrasher
Quote from: Ex-HAplayer on July 17, 2011, 04:27:38 pm
Your opinion.  Beating Alabama is just one hurdle of the many that it is going to take win an SEC title and go to a BCS game. To be honest with you that Bama game could be setting up a trap game for Arkansas with Texas A&M.  What good is it to beat Bama, if you lose two or three down the road.  That game is far early in the season.  However, what if you do beat Bama go undefeated and meet a undefeated or 1 loss LSU team that could be in the way of SEC or National title hopes. 
Write it down....if we beat Alabama, we will run the table.
And aTm won't be a trap game. That term is reserves for teams that, on paper, are inferior, but for several reasons, may play the superior opponent tough. Texas A&M will be competing for the Suck 12 title, and as I said previously may find themselves in the top 10 if they beat Oklahoma State.
As for your "your opinion" retort, yes, that is true. But it is no secret that Jefferson has been a liability as LSU's quarterback. Les Miles is too stupid to see it.
They will lose to Oregon, Bama, and Arkansas. Write it down.

Ex-HAplayer

Ehh I don't think A&M is as good as the credit you seem to be giving the,. Even, if they are playing for the Suck 12 title as you put it.  Trap is in session. As for your other predictions.  We will just have to wait it out and see.

gatecrasher

The Aggies return 18 starters (nine from both sides of the football) from a team that won 6 of 7 to close the year, including wins over both Nebraska and Choklahoma. They finished in the top 25 nationally on the offensive side of the ball. Defensively they jumped 50 places nationally from 09 to last year.

They won't beat us, but I doubt we blow them out, because they are going to be potent on offense....and I will be really surprised if they don't win nine or ten ballgames.

zebradynasty

Ahhh yes fall is on the way and the optimism of UA football is here! I see where the blind hogs come from whenever people use the saying a "A blind hog finds an acorn every now and then"! Folks I don't see a SEC West title this year. BP has done a great job raising the talent level at UA but remember we were/are playing catch up! BP is good coach but not heads and shoulders above the best in the SEC so that he can beat teams with better talent consistently.

I am feeling good about the team but with a suspect OL and QB that has only thrown about 50 passes in his college career...I think SEC championship may be unrealistic. Now it's possible that we can overcome those big weaknesses. Our defense I think can be good enough to carry us until we can develop into a championship offense. I am more excited about our DL than I have ever been! It should be on the same level as Alabama and LSU. I expect a good season with a few break MAYBE a BCS bowl but SEC champ or National Championship....that's too many blind hogs running around for me!

Coach Jones

Isn't it funny people are hanging their hat on the D when it has been a weak point for several years..........even people wanting to run off Willie last year.   Just thought it was a little funny.

zebradynasty

I think Willie got the message loud and clear if improvement wasn't made. However, to be fair to Willie Arkansas didn't have much talent on defense the last 3 years and it's taken this long to get some. BP stocked piled the talent on offense and it shows now I think the defense can be good. The country knows BP's offense is for REAL so recruiting offense won't be a problem. Now they can focus on defense and it should start to show.

gatecrasher

We finished in the top 30 in defense last season. Marked improvement from previous seasons. I believe we will continue to improve there. IMO we need to get into the top 20 defensively to get where we want to go.

fastdrop

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 18, 2011, 09:02:09 am
Ahhh yes fall is on the way and the optimism of UA football is here! I see where the blind hogs come from whenever people use the saying a "A blind hog finds an acorn every now and then"! Folks I don't see a SEC West title this year. BP has done a great job raising the talent level at UA but remember we were/are playing catch up! BP is good coach but not heads and shoulders above the best in the SEC so that he can beat teams with better talent consistently.

I am feeling good about the team but with a suspect OL and QB that has only thrown about 50 passes in his college career...I think SEC championship may be unrealistic. Now it's possible that we can overcome those big weaknesses. Our defense I think can be good enough to carry us until we can develop into a championship offense. I am more excited about our DL than I have ever been! It should be on the same level as Alabama and LSU. I expect a good season with a few break MAYBE a BCS bowl but SEC champ or National Championship....that's too many blind hogs running around for me!
I think there will be many Hog fans that will wish they still had the pro arm in the backfield.

Romeo

Knile Davis just claimed a max of 430 on bench press on his twitter page.   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas