• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Russellville Jr high relays

Started by Gray lizard, April 11, 2018, 11:25:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

First track meet I had been to in a long time.  1980 to be exact when I was one of the young ones.  I enjoyed it very much.  Got to see my son compete in the long jump, 4 x 100, and 4 x 400 relays.  It appears he promise in several areas.  He ran well and is faster than I thought.  Was a lot of fun to see the kids compete.  Their team has a lot of holes, but should compete well in district in a few contest.

beach bum

April 11, 2018, 02:25:40 pm #1 Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:32:54 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Gray lizard on April 11, 2018, 11:25:54 am
First track meet I had been to in a long time.  1980 to be exact when I was one of the young ones.  I enjoyed it very much.  Got to see my son compete in the long jump, 4 x 100, and 4 x 400 relays.  It appears he promise in several areas.  He ran well and is faster than I thought.  Was a lot of fun to see the kids compete.  Their team has a lot of holes, but should compete well in district in a few contest.

I am glad we are seeing a few more people sprinkle on the boards here and post about track like yourself. I hope your son is enjoying the competition. Is he an 8th grader right now? I really like track in the sense it shows even more so than the other sports imo that between 9th and 11th grade the kids that were winning off talent alone in JH get weeded out by the time they are in high school if they quit putting in the hard work. I see kids in JH run a 5:15 mile in 9th grade which tells me by the time they are seniors they could easily be capable of getting in the 4:30's. What happens is a lot of time they don't work hard enough or get involved in other sports to take up time and might only run a 5 flat by their senior year. People hit plateaus especially in the middle distances and distances races if they don't keep increasing the volume and intensity slowly..... That is what happened to me. I played other sports in high school and did not concentrate solely on running until in college training for half marathons and a couple marathons for fun. I could only run a 5K in the mid 18's in high school, but with running alone I got my 5K in the low 16's by age 21. What events is your son enjoying the most right now? And it is really fun at these track meets seeing what it takes to piece together enough points as a team to place near the top and do well. I can tell you are excited about his track and I imagine that means he is really excited too. With some work through the years he could really end up pretty good with that attitude.

Gray lizard

I had to push him a little to run track.  I felt he could do well.  He has pretty good speed and and a desire to win.  I feel he could run in any of the events and do well.  I have been working with him on long jump.  You tube is very helpful.  If he can get his landing down he can increase his jump by 15 to 18 inches.  if he was rolling forward like he needs to.  He jumped 16' 8' this was his first time.  I feel he can go 18 or better.
He is in the 8th grade.  I would like to see him in the 100 and 200, but a 9th grader is doing those and the other boy a 8th grader also is a little faster than him.  He also ran his first 4x400 relay last night.  The team ran in the first heat with 3 other teams.  He ran the first leg.  When he handed off he had a 80 meter lead over the next team.  I think the team time would have been better if they were in the second heat.  They were so far ahead the last two boys just coasted and still won by over 180 meters. He was pumped up after he saw how well he had done. 

beach bum

That is great that he is doing a little variety overall... And if he can master that long jump he has a leg up there cause those field events can be the difference for some teams. That is exactly what costs a lot of teams. And I went to a 4A school too so I know how vital it is having kids willing to do a lot overall like that to gain points for the team. That is so vital 1A-4A to have kids willing to do that. Best of luck to you all and if you go to any more meets let us know what schools are looking good for district and state.

Gray lizard

Thanks I will.  Waldron seems to have a very good JR high track team.

Gray lizard

How much time could a 4x400 relay take off their time if they were in a faster heat?  I know this seems like a strange question, but when a team finishes 20 seconds in front of the next team.  What would be expected.  The last two legs were so far ahead they just coasted. Just wondering if they might compete for district.  It looks like about 7 to 8 seconds would need to come their time.

AT

Quote from: Gray lizard on April 13, 2018, 11:51:30 am
How much time could a 4x400 relay take off their time if they were in a faster heat?  I know this seems like a strange question, but when a team finishes 20 seconds in front of the next team.  What would be expected.  The last two legs were so far ahead they just coasted. Just wondering if they might compete for district.  It looks like about 7 to 8 seconds would need to come their time.

Really depends on their splits. Do you know what each leg ran?

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on April 12, 2018, 08:02:20 am
Thanks I will.  Waldron seems to have a very good JR high track team.

Waldron has actually had some solid JH teams in football lately so I can see that... Always helps when you the talent comes around. Waldron went from nothing to competitive real fast in other sports so that makes sense them having a solid track team now.

Gray lizard

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 13, 2018, 02:50:44 pm
Really depends on their splits. Do you know what each leg ran?

I do not.  We will see next week as they will have a good test.  They were actually 29.11 ahead of the next team.

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on April 13, 2018, 04:08:43 pm
I do not.  We will see next week as they will have a good test.  They were actually 29.11 ahead of the next team.

My word they needed in a faster heat lol.... Yea I am sure running with some faster competition probably would have given them at least the slightest faster time overall in a 4x400

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas