• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mt ida?

Started by HorseFeathers, January 10, 2017, 06:09:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

I see that they bid on state....but how do their teams stack up?

BannerChaser95

Mt ida boys probably will not make regionals. Girls will either be a 3/4 if they get a good win in distract. Could be staying at home missing out. I think if they have to play acorn at acorn to get in they won't make regionals. And good possibility they have to go through them to make it.

BannerMountainMan

So we just gonna keep state in the South every year?

BannerChaser95

January 12, 2017, 05:13:27 pm #3 Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:17:23 pm by BannerChaser95
Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 12, 2017, 05:07:42 pm
So we just gonna keep state in the South every year?
Izard county must have made a drastic change in location from last year. Because I remember having to stay in mountain home.

Mt ida south
Izard county north
Nashville -Kirby south
Harrison north
Bradley -south
Magnolia south
Calico rock -north
Hill crest - north.

It looks pretty even at this point

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 12, 2017, 05:13:27 pm
Izard county must have made a drastic change in location from last year. Because I remember having to stay in mountain home.

Mt ida south
Izard county north
Nashville -Kirby south
Harrison north
Bradley -south
Magnolia south
Calico rock -north
Hill crest - north.

It looks pretty even at this point

Until you account for numbers of teams in each area....Until this year ere were only a dozen teams out of approximately 55 that qualified as South

BannerChaser95

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 12, 2017, 05:21:34 pm
Until you account for numbers of teams in each area....Until this year ere were only a dozen teams out of approximately 55 that qualified as South
over 8 years, 4 norther and 4 southern state tournaments. I was specifying, the number of state tournaments. Not the numbers of tournaments per capita of teams in the area. Sure there are less southern 1A schools. Teams would have to stay the night no matter the location, 4 year splits doesn't mean "every year in the south" is all I Was stating.

ballmember

I thought the best tournament atmosphere of all the school was calico rock;  Bradley was the worst  in my opinion.   hillcrest and icc good .    magnolia no and Harrison no.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: ballmember on January 12, 2017, 09:30:59 pm
I thought the best tournament atmosphere of all the school was calico rock;  Bradley was the worst  in my opinion.   hillcrest and icc good .    magnolia no and Harrison no.
calico was fun, hilcrest was as well. Nashville did well holding it with Kirby, and Icc did well last year. Tho I do not care for the gym design. Bradleys gyms a no, Harrison is a no. For sure.

no mascot

Icc had some awesome games. The crowds were massive to the point that the gym wasn't big enough at times. Not their fault folks wanted to see a show!

BannerChaser95

Quote from: no mascot on January 12, 2017, 10:04:30 pm
Icc had some awesome games. The crowds were massive to the point that the gym wasn't big enough at times. Not their fault folks wanted to see a show!
mt ida won't be big enough at times. And I don't like their design either, however icce straight up bleachers were not my thing.

no mascot

Do they have a walkway around the top?

High flyer

WHERE IS THE CLOSEST PLACE TO STAY THE NIGHT .HOT SPRINGS?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: High flyer on January 13, 2017, 06:25:00 am
WHERE IS THE CLOSEST PLACE TO STAY THE NIGHT .HOT SPRINGS?

Probably so

BannerChaser95

Quote from: no mascot on January 13, 2017, 06:04:20 am
Do they have a walkway around the top?
so you walk In concession stands on your right and the courts straight ahead. Left is visiting side. Right is home side.  Directly between you and the courts on the endzone directly beneath you is  like a wheel chair accessible path all the way to the court. You go up maybe 5-6 steps and the walk way is between the 2 to levels of seats. the court side of the walk way is the retractable bleachers. But they're backed seats. If I'm remembering correctly they all backed seats in the retractable section. The wall side of the walk way. Are the same hard type plastic seats with just the 18" recommended seats. If you sit on the bottom of this, and people are standing to watch  the game.  You will not be able to see At all due to the fact the walk way seperates it.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 10, 2017, 06:09:27 am
and I would like to retract my statement about mt idas boys not making regionals. They may make it after all. I thought acorn was going to be decent, lost to county line by only 5, but we're no where to be found against Kirby Tuesday. Don't know if it's a match up issue in some way or if they're going backwards. But distracts at acorn. I feel the boys will be Kirby, then you have mineral springs and dierks fighting to play in the finals. Leaving acorn and mt ida boys fighting it out to go to regionals. So they may make it after all.

ballmember

Lodging in hot springs will be tough some nights due to race season    prepare ahead

brotherdew

There are some lake resorts in the area. They close for the offseason, but I believe they have reopened by February

BannerChaser95

End of 1st
Kirby sr girls 22
Mt. Ida 6

BannerChaser95

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 10, 2017, 06:09:27 am
Horse, just saw it first hand tonight. Our 4 in district will not be the best, but acorn will beat mt. Ida. Kirby probably had 25 -30 steals.

HorseFeathers

Makes you wonder why they bid on state..

BannerChaser95

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 13, 2017, 09:07:53 pm
Makes you wonder why they bid on state..
Kirby and mt ida aren't mutual friends. But it kinda almost feels like it's for Kirby. It's the same distance to Nashville. Just opposite way.

Eagle_Mom_2

How far is this place From Greers Ferry? I need to figure out if I need to find a place to stay and if I need to ask off work to make the trip. I goggle mapped this and showed couple hours away. Mercy me, Sav-a-lot may not be able to survive without me running those cash registers looking like Jessica Simpson from Employee of the Month

Moonshiner

I really don't understand how/why they won this bid?  Clinton is more centrally located.  Clinton has over 500 more seats.  There is actually a town in Clinton with restaurants and gas stations. 
I hope they put on a good tournament without a hitch, but this looks like the good ole boys way of taking care of business. 

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 16, 2017, 11:40:19 am
I really don't understand how/why they won this bid?  Clinton is more centrally located.  Clinton has over 500 more seats.  There is actually a town in Clinton with restaurants and gas stations. 
I hope they put on a good tournament without a hitch, but this looks like the good ole boys way of taking care of business.
clintons a 4 hour drive for teams. Teams that will be in state as 1 seeds. So because it's convenient for you it's a problem. I can tell you last year no one was excited for the 5 hour drive we had, and the 45 minute drive from the hotel. If you ask me, it just made no sense and it felt like the system was against us (lol jk). We understand down here more of y'all are up north. Doesn't mean the southern teams shouldn't ever get it. 35 minute drive from hot springs will be aye okay. Theirs a couple restaurant. This may be the smaller a gym. But it doesn't need to be in the north every single year just to accommodate a few more people. It's like seasons, changes every so often but you just gota wait for them! I'm not trying to be rude. I am just defending being in the south. It's awesome for us and we will enjoy it even if we don't make it. I don't like taking a full week off, and staying 45 minutes from the location every year. This is nice for us. Let us have it

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 16, 2017, 11:53:37 am
clintons a 4 hour drive for teams. Teams that will be in state as 1 seeds. So because it's convenient for you it's a problem. I can tell you last year no one was excited for the 5 hour drive we had, and the 45 minute drive from the hotel. If you ask me, it just made no sense and it felt like the system was against us (lol jk). We understand down here more of y'all are up north. Doesn't mean the southern teams shouldn't ever get it. 35 minute drive from hot springs will be aye okay. Theirs a couple restaurant. This may be the smaller a gym. But it doesn't need to be in the north every single year just to accommodate a few more people. It's like seasons, changes every so often but you just gota wait for them! I'm not trying to be rude. I am just defending being in the south. It's awesome for us and we will enjoy it even if we don't make it. I don't like taking a full week off, and staying 45 minutes from the location every year. This is nice for us. Let us have it
then let us have the state finals every once in awhile in the North.

Moonshiner

What do you mean it's never in the south.  It was at Nashville 2 years ago.  Bradley has hosted recently. 
I'm not opposed to it being in the south, but Mt. ida? 

BannerChaser95

January 16, 2017, 01:07:28 pm #26 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:47:22 pm by BannerChaser95
Quote from: Moonshiner on January 16, 2017, 11:59:50 am
What do you mean it's never in the south.  It was at Nashville 2 years ago.  Bradley has hosted recently. 
I'm not opposed to it being in the south, but Mt. ida?
oh okay I gotcha. The way I took it you just didn't want it in the south haha, I apologize.  I agree on the mt ida versus Clinton. I just think it's to alternate it every year. It's been the pattern. I thought you were opposed to the south.  I wasn't saying it's never given to the south.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 16, 2017, 11:56:35 am
then let us have the state finals every once in awhile in the North.
I wished It was in Little Rock. AAA  in a contract aren't they?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 16, 2017, 01:09:54 pm
I wished It was in Little Rock. AAA  in a contract aren't they?

AAA takes bids on it...Hot springs has it for a while

Moonshiner

I just think the state tournament should have been awarded to the bigger facility in a bigger town.  I'm ok with it alternating north and south. 

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 16, 2017, 01:45:53 pm
I just think the state tournament should have been awarded to the bigger facility in a bigger town.  I'm ok with it alternating north and south.
I was okay with it this year at Clinton! It wasn't icc or Bradley. Where nothing's around. Atleast mt ida has a few things.

Moonshiner

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 16, 2017, 01:48:44 pm
I was okay with it this year at Clinton! It wasn't icc or Bradley. Where nothing's around. Atleast mt ida has a few things.

Admittedly I've never been there.  Hope it'll be a good experience.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 16, 2017, 01:58:41 pm
Admittedly I've never been there.  Hope it'll be a good experience.
Clinton has Best Western, Super 8, a Walmart and good eating places, plus on 15 min from FairFieldBay and 30 minutes from Greenbrier and Conway, one of the best gyms im the state, would've been perfect.

Moonshiner

That's what I was saying.  A lot more seats in a newer facility.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 16, 2017, 02:07:25 pm
That's what I was saying.  A lot more seats in a newer facility.
it's newer?? Mt idas was built right after the last state championship in football. 07' 08' I believe. Fairly new in it's self

ballmember

Although sometimes not as handy for us spoiled fans,  I like state tournaments where the schools are.   There is always food at the games.     can find a room going or coming to the games.   

I hope the idea of having them all in central Arkansas never happens.  Little Rock is a horrible place to treat a bunch of kids and fans to.     Most of our schools are not at little rock.     Not slamming where anyone lives that is our choice.    Class A basketball needs to be represented in its communities.   

doctor in the house

Quote from: ballmember on January 16, 2017, 02:35:40 pm
Although sometimes not as handy for us spoiled fans,  I like state tournaments where the schools are.   There is always food at the games.     can find a room going or coming to the games.   

I hope the idea of having them all in central Arkansas never happens.  Little Rock is a horrible place to treat a bunch of kids and fans to.     Most of our schools are not at little rock.     Not slamming where anyone lives that is our choice.    Class A basketball needs to be represented in its communities.

I agree that LR is a terrible place for the class A state basketball tournament.. You can throw Pine Bluff into that category also.. Safety of students and fans should be considered by AAA members when voting on these sites. Travel should also be a consideration. Either Mt. Ida or Clinton would have been ok with me. ICC and Bradley were just to far for some fans from up north or down south to travel to.. More common sense should be used when determining sites for the class A basketball fans who seem to follow their teams better than the larger classifications..

ballmember

For lodging near Mt. Ida you can always check VRBO or Homeaway.   Looks like lots of places around west side of Lake Ouachita.  Which would be closer than Hot Springs. 

BannerChaser95

Parking will and is the biggest issue. Kirby at mt.ida tonight. Jr high games just starting and it's packed parking already! Can't wait for 1300 people to try and fit.

lionsdad

Parking is an issue, but as for facilities, I haven't seen any better in Class A. Parking is an issue for visitors in football season, also. I just walk down the hill. Our teams may not make it to the tournament, but our fans will. It will be packed. Get there early. We love high school sports.

Moonshiner

Quote from: lionsdad on January 26, 2017, 09:10:10 pm
Parking is an issue, but as for facilities, I haven't seen any better in Class A. Parking is an issue for visitors in football season, also. I just walk down the hill. Our teams may not make it to the tournament, but our fans will. It will be packed. Get there early. We love high school sports.

I hope there are enough seats left over for the folks that are driving 3 and 4 hours to get there.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 26, 2017, 09:31:40 pm
I hope there are enough seats left over for the folks that are driving 3 and 4 hours to get there.
my calculations were 1238 total seating. 480 chair backed lower section.
Rest is the same type seats as ICC. Cheaper minimum requirement length (stadium) seats behind walk way. Plenty of standing room in the lobby, but the walk way is going to be in the way of the people in stadium seats. So if you're on the bottom rows, you won't be able to see from all the traffic. The lobby could easily hold 100 people standing to watch. If I was just going off a sight test. Slightly bigger than Bradley IMO.

yesteryearman

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 26, 2017, 09:31:40 pm

Possibly only on the days when Kirby isn't playing.  At Nashville, they arrived early, filled one side, and very few left when their teams weren't playing.  Not being critical, just relaying what I saw at Nashville.  I know that at some tournaments the host schools ask people to allow fans of the teams playing to get the better seats behind the home and visitor benches.  That didn't happen all the  time at Nashville.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 27, 2017, 06:01:45 am
Possibly only on the days when Kirby isn't playing.  At Nashville, they arrived early, filled one side, and very few left when their teams weren't playing.  Not being critical, just relaying what I saw at Nashville.  I know that at some tournaments the host schools ask people to allow fans of the teams playing to get the better seats behind the home and visitor benches.  That didn't happen all the  time at Nashville.
host school "privilege" haha no kirby fans like their basketball. The 2 days that week Kirby didn't play it wasn't like that. Their were still many there. However not all one side or anything of that nature. I hope mt ida does that and clears the student sections for the games, as it won't last long with the older folks coming at sun up to get the chair back seats And occupy it for the full day!

yesteryearman

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 27, 2017, 12:01:54 pm
host school "privilege" haha no kirby fans like their basketball. The 2 days that week Kirby didn't play it wasn't like that. Their were still many there. However not all one side or anything of that nature. I hope mt ida does that and clears the student sections for the games, as it won't last long with the older folks coming at sun up to get the chair back seats And occupy it for the full day!

Hey, every team in the state, at any classification would love to have fans as devoted as Kirby's.  Just putting the word out to folks who may not have attended a state tournament in several years, that seats may be at a premium at times.....

HorseFeathers

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 27, 2017, 03:24:25 pm
Hey, every team in the state, at any classification would love to have fans as devoted as Kirby's.  Just putting the word out to folks who may not have attended a state tournament in several years, that seats may be at a premium at times.....

I showed up at ICC last year on semi finals day an hour before they opened the doors, and Nemo fans were already lined up across the parking lot.... Show up early stay late and hopefully enjoy some good basketball...

sideliner

Parking will be a big challenge, I bet they run a shuttle or something. The good news is it is a very safe area and the sheriff's office is nearby. I would start now trying to book rooms at Mountain Harbor. Glenwood isn't far but accommodations there are scarce. VRBO is a great idea!

I loved it the year it was at Strawberry, about 7 years ago maybe? Liked Calico and Nashville too.

it'll get tight in there but it's a nice place with good folks.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: sideliner on January 29, 2017, 07:09:53 pm
Parking will be a big challenge, I bet they run a shuttle or something. The good news is it is a very safe area and the sheriff's office is nearby. I would start now trying to book rooms at Mountain Harbor. Glenwood isn't far but accommodations there are scarce. VRBO is a great idea!

I loved it the year it was at Strawberry, about 7 years ago maybe? Liked Calico and Nashville too.

it'll get tight in there but it's a nice place with good folks.
In my honest opinion. The best idea would just be stay in hot springs, much more in town for a 30 minute drive. Sure beats 45 minute drive from mountain home and all those hills to ICC with nothing but a post office. (Don't take it personal. Kirby has a gas station a restaurant and a post office. We're proud of that little thing) but the most comfortable stay would be hot springs. It's a straight shot to Mt. Ida. The parking will be an issue and I do hope they shuttle.

no mascot

I have a feeling that the parking won't keep anyone from showing up.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: no mascot on January 30, 2017, 09:25:15 am
I have a feeling that the parking won't keep anyone from showing up.
No, but come Thursday - sat it will be a big problem. But yes people will and should still show up! Nashville had plenty of seats but not enough parking as well. But they accommodated quite well. Mt. Ida can do the same as I'm sure they will. However the parking spots at the gym will be full before the gyms a little over a quarter full

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas