• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State take over of the AAA

Started by jacketman, January 04, 2017, 07:15:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the State takeover AAA?

Yes
12 (42.9%)
Not Sure
1 (3.6%)
No
15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2017, 09:37:12 pm

jacketman

January 04, 2017, 07:15:55 am Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:20:29 am by jacketman
State Senator Jeremy Hutchinson is working on legislation to open the process of the decision making that AAA does. Simply for the use of making the public aware of why certain decisions are made. Hutchison's plan would make AAA a state commission and board appointed by the governor and leaders of the house and senate. Some are worried about political appointees having control of High School activities and opening topics for more scrutiny. {As reported by ArkansasMatters.com}

Thoughts on this?

Moonshiner

The AAA is supposed to be a governing body ran by the schools. Basically it is a much smaller version of the NCAA.  In my opinion the state legislature has more pressing issues than high school extra curricular activities.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 04, 2017, 02:03:18 pm
The AAA is supposed to be a governing body ran by the schools. Basically it is a much smaller version of the NCAA.  In my opinion the state legislature has more pressing issues than high school extra curricular activities.

Bingo!! +1

I have already written to my State Rep asking him to vote no on this.

Moonshiner

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on January 04, 2017, 02:04:59 pm
Bingo!! +1

I have already written to my State Rep asking him to vote no on this.

This is the first I've heard of it, but will do the same.

SackAttack

Yeah boy that AAA they are really on the ball down there aint they? Zero accountability in that office

ballmember

not much accountability with legislators either

SackAttack

Agreed but Lance and his lackeys have had their chance

Iknewthemwhen

Who do you think is more opposed, the AAA or the school leaders who run the AAA?

mijally

Wait a minute?  A Republican senator wanting the AAA to show accountability?  Lol. What!!!??!!  I thought that was a liberal idea?  Lol

ZacAttack

jacketman

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 04, 2017, 05:27:54 pm
Who do you think is more opposed, the AAA or the school leaders who run the AAA?

There was obviously some push to try and get something changed with the AAA board. All of the other sports certainly have their issues also. I have seen my fair share of complaints in the past with the AAA decisions on various topics on these posts. IMO, I believe parents, fans, and perhaps some school leaders are behind this push. There is obviously enough interest to get something started, and it will most certainly get the attention of the AAA. Is this the answer, I don't know. I would think the AAA would be more opposed because there is enough interest to make their decision making more accountable and report their reasons to the public. I for one don't think we should elect political figures to the board, but perhaps just make a mandate in their protocol of decision making and reporting.

no mascot

Our government is overreaching as it is... I agree with moonshiner is saying that they have much more important things to worry about than high school sports, and would like to add that I have never met a politician that excelled in athletics!

Moonshiner

Pretty much most actions taken by the AAA are voted on by the schools.  I think they catch a lot of heat that isn't entirely their fault.

BoxNOne

Quote from: SackAttack on January 04, 2017, 03:18:21 pm
Agreed but Lance and his lackeys have had their chance

+1 with this quote

Missco

This would be the biggest disaster ever.

Farm boy

I agree it would be a disaster but lance is just going to sit on his butt and draw his big check for doing nothing. He holds no one accountable. Doesn't even know what his officials are doing. Most of them just drawing a check. Was attending a ball game one official was horrendous coach asked for his name was going to report him to aaa official told him to go ahead they were hurting for officials so nobody at triple aaa would say anything to him. So some of your corrupt officials aren't worried about the job they do they just put in their time and collect their pay. If you or I did that at our jobs we would be reprimanded or even fired.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Farm boy on January 05, 2017, 01:50:47 pm
I agree it would be a disaster but lance is just going to sit on his butt and draw his big check for doing nothing. He holds no one accountable. Doesn't even know what his officials are doing. Most of them just drawing a check. Was attending a ball game one official was horrendous coach asked for his name was going to report him to aaa official told him to go ahead they were hurting for officials so nobody at triple aaa would say anything to him. So some of your corrupt officials aren't worried about the job they do they just put in their time and collect their pay. If you or I did that at our jobs we would be reprimanded or even fired.

If you or I did that, then they'd pull an application out of the drawer and hire the best interview.....You stated the reason they get away with bad reffing in your post

SackAttack

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 05, 2017, 08:13:05 am
Pretty much most actions taken by the AAA are voted on by the schools.  I think they catch a lot of heat that isn't entirely their fault.
No they dont catch heat. Heat suggests that things would change with said heat. What they catch is criticism and then take that to the golf course with their beer they drink in red solo cups and laugh about said criticism. Thought id clear that up for ya!! But yeah it is voted on by the schools so you got half of that right!

Iknewthemwhen

I think the general attitude is that the AAA is independent with the exception of a few dominate schools who seem to spearhead certain decisions. 

Moonshiner

Quote from: SackAttack on January 05, 2017, 05:54:54 pm
No they dont catch heat. Heat suggests that things would change with said heat. What they catch is criticism and then take that to the golf course with their beer they drink in red solo cups and laugh about said criticism. Thought id clear that up for ya!! But yeah it is voted on by the schools so you got half of that right!

Not sure why you're getting sassy with me but whatever floats your boat. Just because you catch heat doesn't suggest change is coming. Look at the last 8 years of the Obama mess.  I'm not a fan of a lot of what goes on at the Athletics association.  But I don't think there's much you can clear up for me when it comes to that. 

SackAttack

Wasnt trying Hoss only stating an opinion and what I have observed first hand. You probably dont have that luxury so I was trying to clear up a few things for you so youd have a little clearer picture of some behind the scenes stuff if you wish!

Moonshiner

Quote from: SackAttack on January 05, 2017, 09:49:10 pm
Wasnt trying Hoss only stating an opinion and what I have observed first hand. You probably dont have that luxury so I was trying to clear up a few things for you so youd have a little clearer picture of some behind the scenes stuff if you wish!

Don't need help on either end of it. I've dealt with it on both sides personally.  Appreciate your efforts though.

SackAttack

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 05, 2017, 09:50:58 pm
Don't need help on either end of it. I've dealt with it on both sides personally.  Appreciate your efforts though.
School person Im presuming!! And I wouldnt expect an honest answer

Moonshiner

Quote from: SackAttack on January 05, 2017, 10:25:33 pm
School person Im presuming!! And I wouldnt expect an honest answer

Are you suggesting I'm a liar?  What are you a 4th grader.  Yeah I'm a school person. I'm done with you sack attacker.

SackAttack

Im pretty good at figuring people out. One of my best qualities actually. You got me on that last part LOL. I knew Id get to ya Im good like that. Ive figured FF out in a short period of time. When people  have nothing they resort to ACCUSATIONS and INSULTS. This started with an opinion about the AAA and ended up with you hurting my feelings by calling me names.Im sure your district is proud to have you!! Great role model!!

Iknewthemwhen

If the state controls the AAA, it means even more politics in the mix. 

doctor in the house

I think that this may just be a ploy by the Senator to get the attention of some the AAA big whigs who at times can seem a lil uppity. I really do not see this going very far...

sevenof400

This is long overdue in my opinion and while I am not fond of the idea of the state getting involved, some outside agency needs to bring AAA into the light.  The state government may be the only body that can do this.   

We're entering that time of year where AAA sits on its collective backside, and collects another round of basketball gate fees for playoffs and does nothing to earn that money.  How can anyone support the continuation of business as usual at AAA? 

Bigleague

SackAttack

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 06, 2017, 12:35:57 pm
This is long overdue in my opinion and while I am not fond of the idea of the state getting involved, some outside agency needs to bring AAA into the light.  The state government may be the only body that can do this.   

We're entering that time of year where AAA sits on its collective backside, and collects another round of basketball gate fees for playoffs and does nothing to earn that money.  How can anyone support the continuation of business as usual at AAA?
Heck yes!! Thanks for putting into words what Ive been trying to say. This is the top post on this thread!!!

XFalkonz

The AAA is hopelessly flawed as long as the good ole boys run it. Get rid of the head of the snake and then the body and start over. Instead of supts and principals running it out actual AD's on the board and make the head of the AAA a retired AD or coach....the state government will screw it up...put people that are actually involved in extracurricular activities in charge

SackAttack

Most of the AAA staff are retired coaches!!Problem is they have sold out. I truly believe that the only thing first and foremost in their minds is job security because that has to be the easiest gig in the world. They literally do nothing down there. If you want to have a little fun call down there and ask them a question on any eligibility question then call back and talk to somebody else repeat and repeat. Call and complain about the state of officiating. You will most assuredly hang up shaking your head!!

XFalkonz

I have had several dealings with the AAA over many things and they have never been a help

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: XFalkonz on January 06, 2017, 02:04:50 pm
The AAA is hopelessly flawed as long as the good ole boys run it. Get rid of the head of the snake and then the body and start over. Instead of supts and principals running it out actual AD's on the board and make the head of the AAA a retired AD or coach....the state government will screw it up...put people that are actually involved in extracurricular activities in charge

Problem with this idea is AD's and coaches can be replaced and therefore can succumb to pressure of the super or principal.

XFalkonz

True but the grouping that they have for AAA reps is a bunch of guys that take care of themselves and no one else...they shouldn't be able to serve more than two years consecutive...to say they are inept is a under statement

footballfan-tastic

Are you saying the AAA is "political"?

XFalkonz

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on January 06, 2017, 08:39:51 pm
Are you saying the AAA is "political"?
Yes...absolutely....positively...without a doubt...

Bildo

January 08, 2017, 07:58:15 am #37 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:53:01 am by Bildo
AAA is money driven imo. That is why you have to give them 100% of the gate in basketball region/state tournaments to have the opportunity to host. And also why you have football teams with losing records (sometimes 5 in a conference) making the playoffs, so there are more games to get gate money. If they were really concerned about the kids, they would shorten the football playoffs to include only the top 2 maybe 3 teams from each conference. The NFL and NCAA recognize the seriousness of concussions and the additions of more games of teams that "shouldn't" be in the playoffs against teams that are clearly bigger, faster and stronger is ridiculous. Everyone doesn't get a trophy. Make the regular season worth something and quit dragging on football to the point of it interfering with the basketball season.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Bildo on January 08, 2017, 07:58:15 am
AAA is money driven imo. That is why you have to give them 100% of the gate in basketball region/state tournaments to have the opportunity to host. And also why you have football teams with losing records (sometimes 5 in a conference) making the playoffs, so there are more games to get gate money. If they were really concerned about the kids, they would shorten the football playoffs to include only the top 2 maybe 3 teams from each conference. The NFL and NCAA recognize the seriousness of concussions and the additions of more games of teams that "shouldn't" be in the playoffs against teams that are clearly bigger, faster and stronger is ridiculous. Everyone doesn't get a trophy. Make the regular season worth something and quit dragging on football to the point of it interfering with the basketball season.

Amen.  +1.
And they have no expenses!  Have heard they have a very healthy bank account.

SackAttack

Very healthy salaries also. Little work all play. No pressure to perform. Easy gig!

Bildo

The "State" take over may not be the answer, but I think that most will agree that there are changes that need to be made.  Complaints seem to fall on deaf ears, its their way or the highway... an "If you don't like it then don't participate" approach. Furthermore, I don't think that the athletes are thought about first. Granted that there are tough decisions that have to be made that cannot make everyone happy but there has to be a better way of making the entire process more "friendly" to the people that it governs. It is more like a dictatorship than an association

4real

Has everyone forgotten that the AAA is driven by he superintendents from member schools???
Money driven.... so are superintendents
Wants play offs with too many teams to make more money.... supes
Wants mixed conferences... supes
Don't know what they want... supes

Inconsistent interpretation and application of the rules... AAA execs
But that's the case with any governing body

Govt take over is a bad idea on this institution boys

SackAttack

Quote from: Bildo on January 09, 2017, 12:49:07 pm
The "State" take over may not be the answer, but I think that most will agree that there are changes that need to be made.  Complaints seem to fall on deaf ears, its their way or the highway... an "If you don't like it then don't participate" approach. Furthermore, I don't think that the athletes are thought about first. Granted that there are tough decisions that have to be made that cannot make everyone happy but there has to be a better way of making the entire process more "friendly" to the people that it governs. It is more like a dictatorship than an association
Yes 1000%

Moonshiner

Quote from: 4real on January 09, 2017, 01:12:50 pm
Has everyone forgotten that the AAA is driven by he superintendents from member schools???

Very well said.  Agree completely

Bildo

Quote from: 4real on January 09, 2017, 01:12:50 pm

Thanks for proving my point. Like I stated before.... I think we all agree that the system is broken

Iknewthemwhen

Supes and AD's do the voting and decision making not the coaches.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas