• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Make Class A Basketball Great Again

Started by SackAttack, December 20, 2016, 11:37:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SackAttack

Anybody got any ideas for Making Basketball Great Again?? I get bashed because I think its on the decline. Serious responses only please.

BannerMountainMan

Being back the 1$ half court shot at halftime

yesteryearman

Quote from: SackAttack on December 20, 2016, 11:37:31 am
Anybody got any ideas for Making Basketball Great Again?? I get bashed because I think its on the decline. Serious responses only please.

Give Watson another year of eligibility.........no, just kidding.   Great players make for great games.  More star players will make it good again.

SackAttack

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 20, 2016, 11:42:52 am
Being back the 1$ half court shot at halftime
Winner!! Dude you are a real winner!!

thebigtiger

$1 shot at halftime is great.  I was thinking maybe interview the coach at halftime or after the 1st quarter and let them explain what they need to be doing better and adjustments.  Give the fans a look at some of the great coaches in the area. 
Fired up Coach, fired up players and fired up fans!
We do more with less!

SackAttack

Quote from: thebigtiger on December 20, 2016, 12:47:32 pm
$1 shot at halftime is great.  I was thinking maybe interview the coach at halftime or after the 1st quarter and let them explain what they need to be doing better and adjustments.  Give the fans a look at some of the great coaches in the area. 
We do more with less!
Now this guy right here gets it. Magnificent idea!!! Home run post right here. keep em coming bud because you are way ahead of the rest on here it seems.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: thebigtiger on December 20, 2016, 12:47:32 pm
We do more with less!

I'm sure the coach would be more than happy to announce his plans for adjustments so the entire crowd (including the opposing coach) can hear!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

thebigtiger

College does it why can't high school?
We do more with less!

thebigtiger

Just think really smart coaches might give false plans to help win the games!  Can't be a follower got to be a leader
We do more with less!

ZacAttack

I think one thing that would help most 1A schools is get more qualified coaches.  The schools that have a single coach for both girls AND boys basketball teams are doing a disservice to their students.  Some group or team gets less attention and it's usually the team that needs the most work.  The schools and AAA needs to find a way to get more coaches to allow more attention to be devoted to the players.

I believe it's also a shame that once a player reaches the 10th grade, the only playing option is on the senior team.  Talented players may get to see the floor as 10th graders, but other players may not get ANY playing time to develop their skills.  I have seen some players that have not seen significant playing time be called upon to start as a 12th grader; that is a tough role to step into.  Many states allow JV teams consisting of non senior team starters giving a chance for players to develop.  But that goes back to the problem above: you need additional coaches.

thebigtiger

Quote from: ZacAttack on December 20, 2016, 02:49:54 pm
I think one thing that would help most 1A schools is get more qualified coaches.  The schools that have a single coach for both girls AND boys basketball teams are doing a disservice to their students.  Some group or team gets less attention and it's usually the team that needs the most work.  The schools and AAA needs to find a way to get more coaches to allow more attention to be devoted to the players.

I believe it's also a shame that once a player reaches the 10th grade, the only playing option is on the senior team.  Talented players may get to see the floor as 10th graders, but other players may not get ANY playing time to develop their skills.  I have seen some players that have not seen significant playing time be called upon to start as a 12th grader; that is a tough role to step into.  Many states allow JV teams consisting of non senior team starters giving a chance for players to develop.  But that goes back to the problem above: you need additional coaches.
+100
We do more with less!

SackAttack

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on December 20, 2016, 01:34:34 pm
I'm sure the coach would be more than happy to announce his plans for adjustments so the entire crowd (including the opposing coach) can hear!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Look dont be bashing here!! Submit your ideas and do your part. We might just be on the cutting edge of improvement in a brand that needs it. Am I right?? Cutting edge here

Areyoukiddingme

Junior high should be 7th and 8th grade and have a junior varsity and varsity teams! 7th graders don't get enough games as it is now!

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: SackAttack on December 20, 2016, 03:51:04 pm
Look dont be bashing here!! Submit your ideas and do your part. We might just be on the cutting edge of improvement in a brand that needs it. Am I right?? Cutting edge here

I'm doing my part......killing a bad idea!!!  Seriously, coaches get 8 minute halftimes so they're going to stop and talk to local PA guy about what they're going to change in the second half.  College coaches generally give cookie cutter answers because they are obligated to speak to someone: "score more points", "play defense" or "stop fouling so much"......CUTTING EDGE!!!

1A basketball is usually the only show in town, much like football in 2A schools.  You're gonna get the same 150-200 people every night.

thebigtiger

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on December 20, 2016, 04:29:03 pm
I'm doing my part......killing a bad idea!!!  Seriously, coaches get 8 minute halftimes so they're going to stop and talk to local PA guy about what they're going to change in the second half.  College coaches generally give cookie cutter answers because they are obligated to speak to someone: "score more points", "play defense" or "stop fouling so much"......CUTTING EDGE!!!

1A basketball is usually the only show in town, much like football in 2A schools.  You're gonna get the same 150-200 people every night.
Its simple get 10 min halftime and then talk.  Gets players and fans and coaches more into the game!  Makes for a better atmosphere!  They can ask questions even after the game about players and the coach! 
We do more with less!

SackAttack

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on December 20, 2016, 04:29:03 pm

Obviously not getting the intent here. Im only assuming the Class A coaches are smart people. dont give away everything but be entertaining. Talk to the crowd. Be human. Include the fans and parents. Educate them on what to look for in the second half. Call your players out at halftime for poor effort! Criticize the refs a little. Hey theyve missed three block/charge calls in the second quarter. I do see cutting edge here. I bet you all the coaches would like it after theyve tried it if you know what I mean.

Hero of Twin Groves

I think there need to be more good coaches. 1a is top heavy. With that being said the top is as good as any classification I.e. John hutchcraft. Could have any job in the state he wants but has chosen to stay in 1a

SackAttack

Id like to know what some of the casual neutral unbiased people on here think. I mean we have no games until Monday of next week so nothing really to talk about other than things you like to see in terms of improvement to the point of Making Basketball Great Again. I was thinking back to the Timbo thread when they played Concord I believe and Im pretty sure it involved the girls team and somebody threw out some ideas for improvement. Im gonna go back and check and Ill post later. Come  on people put down the egg nog and start throwin em out here and lets get this done before the games fire back up

SackAttack

Quote from: Hero of Twin Groves on December 20, 2016, 05:25:57 pm
I think there need to be more good coaches. 1a is top heavy. With that being said the top is as good as any classification I.e. John hutchcraft. Could have any job in the state he wants but has chosen to stay in 1a
Yes he could take that style and make it work at any classification. Shirts and skins. games of 21. Would all work well I think

Hero of Twin Groves

Almost sounds like sour grapes sack? Wouldn't surprise me if you probably played on a team that hutch BEAT!

SackAttack

Hero hero I was being serious. Put more better athletes in Hutchs system and might not ever lose. He wouldnt have to coach at all

Hero of Twin Groves

Now we can agree on that. I wish he would have taken the razorback job after pelphrey left.

noties

Quote from: ZacAttack on December 20, 2016, 02:49:54 pm

Definitely agree with this. One coach for all four teams is a disservice to the players and to the coach. I'm no coach but I can imagine the difficulty of improving four different teams throughout the course of a year - especially if you have four teams that are not so good.

One thing that I hate seeing is the lack of real pee-wee basketball programs. When I was in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade we traveled and played actual competitive games against all the surrounding schools. Now I've witnessed in some of the smaller schools that they either do not have a pee-wee program, have a team that's coached by parents who have no business coaching, or they play unorganized games that give kids no exposure to real basketball. I know this is something that takes time and dedication by school officials AND parents, but I think it would improve the quality of basketball if kids were getting "real" experience through all levels of play. There are years where a team just does not have a player with any real talent.. I get that, but I hate seeing a team full of players that do not even understand basic basketball principles.. or even how to properly enter/exit the game for substitutions.

ZacAttack

Quote from: noties on December 21, 2016, 03:13:21 pm
Definitely agree with this. One coach for all four teams is a disservice to the players and to the coach. I'm no coach but I can imagine the difficulty of improving four different teams throughout the course of a year - especially if you have four teams that are not so good.
I was told by a person who serves as a volunteer head softball coach that AAA does not allow a volunteer to be a head basketball coach; and only recently AAA has allowed volunteer assistant coaches.  It seems to me it would help out the smaller Class 1A schools to allow them to get all of the qualified help they could find!

OB11

Quote from: ZacAttack on December 21, 2016, 05:55:48 pm
I was told by a person who serves as a volunteer head softball coach that AAA does not allow a volunteer to be a head basketball coach; and only recently AAA has allowed volunteer assistant coaches.  It seems to me it would help out the smaller Class 1A schools to allow them to get all of the qualified help they could find!

The AAA doesn't allow volunteers to be head coaches in football, basketball, or track I believe.  Any other sports, a volunteer can be the head coach. 

HorseFeathers

Why would a qualified coach volunteer to coach when he could be paid to coach at a bigger school?

HorseFeathers

It sounds like you guys want high school ball to go the way of AAU ball...Noone plays defense and everybody tosses 3's....And every Johnny and Joe in the stands can start a team of his own to show how he knows everything about basketball...

ZacAttack

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 22, 2016, 04:51:12 pm
It sounds like you guys want high school ball to go the way of AAU ball...Noone plays defense and everybody tosses 3's.
A volunteer coach may be a person that is a good golfer and wants to help out the local school or an aunt that played softball back in the day that wants to help.  Maybe they want to coach without putting up with all of the BS that is piled on classroom teachers.  These coaches must be approved of by the AD, principal, and/or school boards.  IF they don't cut it, they can be "fired" much easier than a teacher.

I just believe, in these tight economic times, schools with limited resources are not giving kids all of the chances they deserve to succeed.  Adding more qualified coaches, paid or unpaid, will help fill the gap.

Hero of Twin Groves

Who is to say if someone is really qualified. There are many "qualified" coaches that get fired for inappropriate relationships every year. Well some are not fired, the are given an ultimatum.

no mascot

Terrible idea. Look at some of our neighboring states that have allowed volunteer coaches. Quality of talent development is embarassing.

SackAttack

I dont know I just cant shake this idea I have about the under utilized portion of the night at halftime. Entertainment of some sort besides the half court shot. Little dribblers are great but Im thinking take it a step farther. Maybe bring the band kids out for a little short game or recognize the kids grandparents because we already do a parent night. When I was a senior at Alread they brought in an auctioneer and auctioned off a shotgun for a fund raiser. Im just tired of the same old same old. More ideas and Im sure we can come with something workable.

no mascot

There was a little people wrestling event at a Travelers game this summer.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas