• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boys: Shirley claiming conference title too soon?

Started by Eagle_Mom_2, December 16, 2016, 11:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagle_Mom_2

With some recent losses, I think Shirley's record is similar to Timbo's now, or at least heading that way. If Timbo beats Shirley in January, does that make them the undisputed leader heading toward district tournament?
Also, opinions, without getting personal or touchy, please...if Shirley loses Timbo game, are they then vulnerable against teams like our boys, Concord, Pangburn?
Again, please keep responses civil, just want to see what people around conference area think at mid-season.
Win or lose, in first place or 5th, Eagles Flyyyyyyyy

ZacAttack

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on December 16, 2016, 11:03:48 pm
With some recent losses, I think Shirley's record is similar to Timbo's now, or at least heading that way. If Timbo beats Shirley in January, does that make them the undisputed leader heading toward district tournament?
If Shirley loses Timbo game, are they then vulnerable against teams like our boys, Concord, Pangburn?
I believe looking at a team's raw W-L record can be deceiving becuase you have to look at the opponents.  Shirley has beaten some quality opponents with losses to Maumelle, Vilonia, Jacksonville Lighthouse, and Guy-Perkins; most could argue that 3 of those teams could win their classification championship.  Timbo has some good wins as of late against Concord and Pangburn (both at home), teams Shirley has also beaten, but what is their signature win?  And Timbo's best loss may have been to Shirley.  I know many think the ratings don't mean much, but Shirley's strength of schedule is much higher than Timbo's.  Maybe one day when I'm bored, I will add up the opponent's W-L records for both teams.

BUT, IF Timbo beats Shirley at home, and it is possible, the two would technically be tied for the lead in the conference (Shirley has a game against Rural Special before the Timbo game).  But I wouldn't call them "the undisputed leader"!  That's what the conference tourney decides.

Timbo is having a good run.  And this wasn't unexpected due to their returning players and graduation losses for other conference teams.  At think by tourney time. it will be 1-Shirley, 2-Timbo, 3-Concord, and 4-Westside.  Still a LONG way to go, so ENJOY!!!!!

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: ZacAttack on December 17, 2016, 06:27:29 am
I believe looking at a team's raw W-L record can be deceiving becuase you have to look at the opponents.  Shirley has beaten some quality opponents with losses to Maumelle, Vilonia, Jacksonville Lighthouse, and Guy-Perkins; most could argue that 3 of those teams could win their classification championship.  Timbo has some good wins as of late against Concord and Pangburn (both at home), teams Shirley has also beaten, but what is their signature win?  And Timbo's best loss may have been to Shirley.  I know many think the ratings don't mean much, but Shirley's strength of schedule is much higher than Timbo's.  Maybe one day when I'm bored, I will add up the opponent's W-L records for both teams.

BUT, IF Timbo beats Shirley at home, and it is possible, the two would technically be tied for the lead in the conference (Shirley has a game against Rural Special before the Timbo game).  But I wouldn't call them "the undisputed leader"!  That's what the conference tourney decides.

Timbo is having a good run.  And this wasn't unexpected due to their returning players and graduation losses for other conference teams.  At think by tourney time. it will be 1-Shirley, 2-Timbo, 3-Concord, and 4-Westside.  Still a LONG way to go, so ENJOY!!!!!
I agree, Mr Attack...I think Shirley is better on paper, just wondering predictions on how it might change and shake out.
Your prediction, will Shirley lose a conference game? Will they win district tournament?

Captain General

There is no reason they should lose a conference game.  They SHOULD win district.
BUT i think we all know strange things happen in post season.

BannerMountainMan

How has Shirley losing to Maumelle started this thread about being vulnerable?? Just beat a really really good Vilonia team and killed Pangburn

Captain General

December 17, 2016, 12:59:59 pm #5 Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:02:43 pm by Captain General
Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 17, 2016, 12:32:17 pm
How has Shirley losing to Maumelle started this thread about being vulnerable?? Just beat a really really good Vilonia team and killed Pangburn

Just trying to stir the pot. I wouldn't think think this was serious. At least I hope.

HorseFeathers

Maumelle has been considered a contender in 5a by some.....keep in my mind 5a has a team that has 3 D1 signees on it too....

Central Ark

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 17, 2016, 01:42:02 pm
Maumelle has been considered a contender in 5a by some.....keep in my mind 5a has a team that has 3 D1 signees on it too....
1 signee, 1 commit, 2 uncommitted with d1 offers. With several other possibles

Central Ark

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Central Ark on December 17, 2016, 02:25:36 pm

1 signee, 1 commit, 2 uncommitted with d1 offers. With several other possibles

Technicalities haha

Captain General

Central Ark

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 17, 2016, 03:07:10 pm
Technicalities haha
I like that they bring in a guy off the bench with a Big 12 offer lol

Captain General

Eagle_Mom_2

So, forgive me for asking for predictions on finish of conference season.
Shirley is unbeatable. You all are all right! No chance they lose.

Captain General

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on December 17, 2016, 03:53:42 pm
So, forgive me for asking for predictions on finish of conference season.
Shirley is unbeatable. You all are all right! No chance they lose.

I believe I said the should.
Then followed with strange things happen. Implying they could be beat.

BannerMountainMan

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: Captain General on December 17, 2016, 04:12:26 pm
I believe I said the should.
Then followed with strange things happen. Implying they could be beat.
I was referring more to the discussions on signees of schools irrelevant to the finish of the 2a south. I just get frustrated with people acting like their unbeatable. I even said I think they're the best on paper, as painful as it is to admit my Eagles are not the best. And it's kind of that lull for most of us for the next week or 2 so just trying to get some interesting conversation going.

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 17, 2016, 04:30:47 pm
Shirley loses to greenbrier by 1
Banner, how did they play though? Anyone really play well today, even in the loss? No shame in losing to big school if you play well and get better from it.
Give us a break down of the game.

BannerMountainMan

Captain General

They led up until half way through the 3rd got behind 10 or so then fought back into it. Then with 1:30 left in the game Shirley turned the ball over 3 times in a row GB got up about 6ish. They exchanged free throws got it within one. GB missed free throw Shirley got the ball with 4 seconds called a time out. Threw in the ball to half court.  Called time out with 3 seconds. They inbound it didn't get the shot they wanted but had a back up plan, but missed the shot.

55-54 final.

Privitt had 26 or 27 points. They played decent.  Made some lazy passes. Didn't shoot free throws well, but that's been a trend the past couple of games.  Could have won but didn't.

thebigtiger

What's #10s name?
Fired up Coach, fired up players and fired up fans!
We do more with less!

Captain General

Quote from: thebigtiger on December 17, 2016, 05:54:50 pm
What's #10s name?
Fired up Coach, fired up players and fired up fans!
We do more with less!

10 is Joe Owen

Privitt is #5!

ZacAttack

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on December 17, 2016, 10:40:58 am
Your prediction, will Shirley lose a conference game? Will they win district tournament?
Let me gaze into my quartz ball and predict "MAYBE" or "COULD".  Timbo at home will be a tough game for Shirley; that could be a loss.  Maybe the flu bug hits the team and they lose one.  A couple of players could get hurt and they are not at full strength.  Who Knows?  That's why they play the games.
Is Shirley, the defending regular season and district tourney champs that graduated only one senior, a solid team?  Sure, but a determined opponent and a lackadaisical effort could send them out early.  Looking forward to an exciting second half and district tournament!

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: ZacAttack on December 17, 2016, 06:11:14 pm
Let me gaze into my quartz ball and predict "MAYBE" or "COULD".  Timbo at home will be a tough game for Shirley; that could be a loss.  Maybe the flu bug hits the team and they lose one.  A couple of players could get hurt and they are not at full strength.  Who Knows?  That's why they play the games.
Is Shirley, the defending regular season and district tourney champs that graduated only one senior, a solid team?  Sure, but a determined opponent and a lackadaisical effort could send them out early.  Looking forward to an exciting second half and district tournament!
Sorry you're so much smarter than me,  Mr Attack.  Clearly, I'm not on your level...I had never considered factors outside of coaches' or players' control could come into play.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: ZacAttack on December 17, 2016, 06:11:14 pm
you were right man, thanks for the fortune telling, got one starter out for awhile and 6th man just got hurt and out for 4 weeks

SackAttack

So Im guessing yall are holding off on buying the state champion tshirts and caps for the time being???

Bigtimebasketballfan

Hate to hear that banner. Hope they recover in time for tournament play. Which 2 young men are hurt?

BannerMountainMan

Shirley just got another move in from clinton today and expecting Motrin the coming months/years, system is just rigged at Clinton, Shirley is just a homey school, makes you feel at home, this is Also helping the situation out where just two months ago Shirley was only but 27 kids away from Consolidating with either Clinton or Westside

SackAttack

Wow just wow. Giving out that kind of info before one of the biggest games of the year. Really!!!! ::) ::) ::)

BannerMountainMan

Ain't no secrets to hide, we are here to win ballgames and have fun, move ins can't play till next year anyways.

SackAttack

I was refering to the injury report you just gave your opponent. You know the kind of thing that coaches can use in factoring in game preparations and such. Again  :o :o :o :o

BannerMountainMan

They've been out for like the last three games so if you don't know it by now you prolly won't ever be smart enough.

SackAttack

I wonder what type of adjustments the coach at Timbo might make with all this classified information floating around. maybe he knew maybe he didnt but if he reads this and makes his adjustments appropriately and beats Shirleys hind end tomorrow night you will have been responsible for helping that happen. Im sure Coach will be very happy with you

ballmember

BannerMountianman   schools don't consolidate just because they have less than 350  children.   there has to be other factors involved.   when we lost mike beebe as governor the new governor and legislator passed some laws to change school consolidation.  our elected politicians wanted to close all under 350 regardless     .   some might have needed closing   most didn't        As you know bigger is better just look at little rock school district

Central Ark

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 04, 2017, 01:16:42 pm
Shirley just got another move in from clinton today and expecting Motrin the coming months/years, system is just rigged at Clinton, Shirley is just a homey school, makes you feel at home, this is Also helping the situation out where just two months ago Shirley was only but 27 kids away from Consolidating with either Clinton or Westside
Did he play senior high at Clinton?

Central Ark

BlueDevilFan

To address the original question by EagleMom,

There are two categories at district level play you have conference champs which is determined by win/loss record during regular conference play.  Then there is the district tournament winner and no they aren't always the same team.

With that said looking at MaxPreps with Shirley's win last night over Timbo they sealed conference champs I do believe as they have played every team at least once and a couple of them twice in regular conference play and they are the only team still undefeated in conference play.

District Championship will yet to be determined at the tournament in a few weeks.  I'm biased but I don't for see Shirley losing that unless something happens to the health of our players which I pray all players on all teams stay healthy.

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: BlueDevilFan on January 06, 2017, 11:20:45 am
To address the original question by EagleMom,

There are two categories at district level play you have conference champs which is determined by win/loss record during regular conference play.  Then there is the district tournament winner and no they aren't always the same team.

With that said looking at MaxPreps with Shirley's win last night over Timbo they sealed conference champs I do believe as they have played every team at least once and a couple of them twice in regular conference play and they are the only team still undefeated in conference play.

District Championship will yet to be determined at the tournament in a few weeks.  I'm biased but I don't for see Shirley losing that unless something happens to the health of our players which I pray all players on all teams stay healthy.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Devil fan. Glad you caught on that I don't know much about it. Also, I must apologize to my good online friend Banner Mtn Man...Shirley has recovered nicely and looks to be rolling again.
Timbo clearly isn't ready for the spotlight. And Shirley is. Shirley looks unbeatable now.

BlueDevilFan

Oh Shirley is not unbeatable they are just a very good team with some very good athletes.

On another note after traveling all over this state for pee-wee, Jr. High and now Sr. High ball watching this group of young men who has been together for the past 9 years; they have become great ambassadors for the school as well.

They all have a great future ahead of them and I wish them all well.

As a matter of fact all of the young men and ladies in our conference have grown into great young ladies and men and I'm sure they will go far.

ZacAttack

Quote from: BlueDevilFan on January 06, 2017, 11:20:45 am
with Shirley's win last night over Timbo they sealed conference champs I do believe as they have played every team at least once and a couple of them twice in regular conference play and they are the only team still undefeated in conference play.
Not so fast BlueDevilFan!  Shirley is undefeated in the conference and does have a 2 game lead over Concord and Timbo, but the regular season championship is not yet clinched.  Looking at their schedule, Shirley plays Concord (who gave them their closest conference game) at home this week and must go on the road to Westside and Midland.  Funny things can happen on the road.

I'm not saying I would bet against your Blue Devils in these games, but let's not pass out the crown yet.  The Fat Lady has not sung YET!

SackAttack

Nope she aint even done the Do Re Mi Fa yet!! They probably had to send the state championship trophy back that Banner said the AAA sent them back in early November when they were a staggering 6-0. ;D ;D

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: SackAttack on January 08, 2017, 04:12:03 pm
Nope she aint even done the Do Re Mi Fa yet!! They probably had to send the state championship trophy back that Banner said the AAA sent them back in early November when they were a staggering 6-0. ;D ;D
23-7 sucks..

SackAttack

If they've played 30 games already that could be part of the problem!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SackAttack on January 08, 2017, 11:07:30 pm
If they've played 30 games already that could be part of the problem!!

Most 1a schools are in the 20-25 game range....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas