• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greers Ferry Lake Classic at West Side

Started by BasketballNeverStops, December 02, 2016, 03:02:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigtiger

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 28, 2016, 02:30:30 pm
Nemo beats Shirley by 2. Probably easily the worst reffed game any of us have ever seen. They knew at the end of the game they didn't want Shirley to win and it happened.
Whatever who reffed it Banner?
Fired up Coach Edgar, fired up players and fired up fans!
We do more with less!

thebigtiger

December 28, 2016, 02:39:08 pm #51 Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 02:52:35 pm by thebigtiger
The game wasn't reffed bad.  Looked like a very well played game. Seems like Banner wins great but loses awful!  Just wasn't Shirley's day!
We do more with less!

Catfish

It was a good game. Happy for nemo. I hate coach Edgar though. He was at the games yesterday for some reason.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: thebigtiger on December 28, 2016, 02:39:08 pm
The game wasn't reffed bad.  Looked like a very well played game. Seems like Banner wins great but loses awful!  Just wasn't Shirley's day!
We do more with less!
how would you know?? Have you ever made it out of Timbo

ZacAttack

Nemo beats Shirley by 2. Probably easily the worst reffed game any of us have ever seen. They knew at the end of the game they didn't want Shirley to win and it happened.
Blaming the refs for a loss when it was probably apparent to most your team was just plainly out played today!  Give Nemo credit for executing their game plan and coming out on top.  But think about it Banner; Nemo plays well and your boys lose by 2 with a few chances to win at the end.  I believe that should give you some hope for the future!  Shirley WILL be tested again and probably very soon.  Better to discover what needs to be worked on at the end of December than at the end of February (or the season).  Congrats to both teams on an exciting game.

thebigtiger

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 28, 2016, 03:26:25 pm
how would you know?? Have you ever made it out of Timbo
Never been out of Timbo EVER!
We do more with less!

Mj4465

Quitman girls over Rosebud 63-55.  Great game!

Mj4465

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on December 26, 2016, 09:46:00 pm
Whoa whoa whoa.  Even a bat could see that girls game is a push for Vegas. Home game for us. We are going to win.  Bry scores at least 25 on overrated post girl. Our guards shoot it well and we don't turn it over. Coach Richey will have us ready to go. Best coach in state.
Woo-hoo oooooooo
Eagles Flyyyyyyyy
You can't be serious???

thebigtiger

Quote from: Catfish on December 28, 2016, 03:09:40 pm
It was a good game. Happy for nemo. I hate coach Edgar though. He was at the games yesterday for some reason.
Hate is a strong word
We do more with less!

ballmember

Nemo Vista had a better plan and carried it out.  no excuses, the refs did not beat Shirley.  People always lose because of the refs.  No one ever says they won because of the refs.   good job nemo vista. 

bluedemon

Shirley will very rarely win a close game when Padgett is has anything to do with it but you could be right nemo out coached Shirley

Catfish

Concord best MVE by 4. Will play nemo in the finals tomorrow!

Eagle_Mom_2

Hope people enjoyed the desserts in the hospitality room today. Won't say what I made but I think my dessert might have been the best.
This tournament has been a raging success I think, although have we considered playing at a time when people aren't still asleep or at work might increase attendance? I wish for our school's sake we would've played evenings. Gate revenues would've been far better. Obviously we should've had more say as parents/fans...if whoever was in charge of that couldn't figure that out...just my goodness. On my soap box. I just want what will help our little Eagles and Lady Eagles the most.
Eagles Flyyyyyyyy

Eagle_Mom_2

Yes! Exactly right. Refs caused loss for Shirley. That crew is so bad to Shirley that it's the same crew Shirley has at all or near all of their home games I'm fairly certain.

Catfish

Nemo boys are underrated... as well as Concords boys. I think todays match up will be a good one.

ballmember

I don't have a vote and will attend, but I think the Greers Ferry Lake Classic has run its course.   Love the location at Greers Ferry and the teams and fans but    we play all these teams all the time anyway.  Why not take a break at Christmas or go off to a tourney somewhere away from the folks we play all the time.   If must have it then have it at the start of the basketball season.    I would not want to volunteer or have to work during my time off at Christmas break. 

Areyoukiddingme

BirdsontheBat27

Well it was better back in the day when heber and Pangburn were also in it...because those were two schools not everyone had on schedule.  In my opinion they need to drop Rural and try to get a school like Clinton.  I'm sure ego got in the way of Heber when they got out but I know shouldn't be the case now days....

BirdsontheBat27

I agree with the time thing....but there are tons of Holiday tourneys going on that play at same times and all.  It's just become the norm for tourneys over break.

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: BirdsontheBat27 on December 29, 2016, 10:18:03 am
Well it was better back in the day when heber and Pangburn were also in it...because those were two schools not everyone had on schedule.  In my opinion they need to drop Rural and try to get a school like Clinton.  I'm sure ego got in the way of Heber when they got out but I know shouldn't be the case now days....

Would love to see Clinton in tournament.  Would be another great gym that could be used as well.  Not sure what those bigger schools stand to gain sometimes in a tournament like this.  If they win against smaller schools it's just what they're supposed to do and if they lose everyone acts like it should never happen and is embarrassing.

BirdsontheBat27

No I agree...just saying that is one of the reasons it has lost some luster....everyone wanted the chance to take down a bigger school, even though lots of times they weren't the better team. 

Catfish

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on December 29, 2016, 10:39:43 am
Would love to see Clinton in tournament.  Would be another great gym that could be used as well.  Not sure what those bigger schools stand to gain sometimes in a tournament like this.  If they win against smaller schools it's just what they're supposed to do and if they lose everyone acts like it should never happen and is embarrassing.

Rose bud is in it though. And they are one of the bigger schools. And on top of that they get beat in the first round every year (boys) but they keep coming back. I for sure think teams like pangburn, heber, and Clinton should be in it.

BirdsontheBat27

Agree!
I would somewhat understand if they were winning or vying for state championships year in and year out and wanted to look for some bigger tourneys to boost schedule strength.  But smaller schools around that area have done pretty good job last few years of being competitive in their respected conferences and classifications. I think it's time to get em all back in. 

Central Ark

Heber and Pangburn have their own tournaments now. And everybody forgets this was originally the Cleburne county tournament correct? And it evolved into the GFLC

BirdsontheBat27

Yes, but GFLC is about 19-20 years old now. 
And Pangburns is just what most classics are, play 1-2 games and that's it, not a tournament. 

rbhs8990

I'm pretty sure Heber Springs is having a tournament or a classic this week also.  I think it has ran its course also.  Most tournaments these days are going with the three game guarantee and I'm not sure why this tourney doesn't do this.  If you are going to take the time to play in a tournament over Christmas break, at least get some games in.  If some of these schools that are in it doesn't want to play the three game guarantee then find other schools that will.  Just a thought and I'm sure it's probably the wrong thought. 

STATGUYQHS

Quitman Girls. Win it 62-30.  Can't remember last time they won the girls bracket in this tournament.  :o 2nd seed ehhh!

TheGovernor

Wow great seeding. Looks like Ross Bud and Quitman played in the finals yesterday.. yes the tournament is garbage

Catfish

Quote from: STATGUYQHS on December 29, 2016, 01:20:01 pm
Quitman Girls. Win it 62-30.  Can't remember last time they won the girls bracket in this tournament.  :o 2nd seed ehhh!

I knew today Quitman would run away with it. They just have to much to deal with. Keep us posted on the concord game if you don't care

bhartgen

Catfish

bhartgen

Concord struggling with man to man. Nemo content with 13 standing at half court in box in one. Don't look prepared to run anything against box.

bhartgen

bhartgen

Nemo Vista 37
Concord 27
End of 3
24 for Concord taking 24 for Nemo for about ten points in this qtr.
25 for Nemo put up about 7 in the qtr.

bhartgen

Nemo Vista 41
Concord 29
6:12 left
21 with four straight for Nemo

bhartgen

Concord went man to man. Turned Nemo over 2x and converted by 24. 41-35 4:58. 25 fouled out on charging call. 4:51. Some fan just got threw out.

bhartgen

44-35 3:25 minutes left.  24 main threat for Concord. 13 for Nemo coming alive in 4th.

bhartgen

24 for Concord answers 15's 3 pointer. Both team in bonus. 1:49 47-41

bhartgen

bhartgen

bhartgen

21 for Nemo steal, finish, and 1.
54-44. Concord fans headed for door.

bhartgen

bhartgen

Catfish

BasketballNeverStops

Congrats to Quitman Girls and Nemo Boys on great wins. Thank you to both Coach Davis and Coach Richey as well as all the workers at West Side who helped make the tournament a success. Your hospitality was greatly appreciated. I got the opportunity to meet Mr. Charles "The Boss" Brady yesterday and I must say he is a great man and truly a living legend.

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on December 29, 2016, 03:09:50 pm
Congrats to Quitman Girls and Nemo Boys on great wins. Thank you to both Coach Davis and Coach Richey as well as all the workers at West Side who helped make the tournament a success. Your hospitality was greatly appreciated. I got the opportunity to meet Mr. Charles "The Boss" Brady yesterday and I must say he is a great man and truly a living legend.
Glad you enjoyed our hospitality Basketball never starts...sure was a fun week.

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: rbhs8990 on December 29, 2016, 12:57:44 pm
I'm pretty sure Heber Springs is having a tournament or a classic this week also.  I think it has ran its course also.  Most tournaments these days are going with the three game guarantee and I'm not sure why this tourney doesn't do this.  If you are going to take the time to play in a tournament over Christmas break, at least get some games in.  If some of these schools that are in it doesn't want to play the three game guarantee then find other schools that will.  Just a thought and I'm sure it's probably the wrong thought.

Great points.  And great message that sends kids...just show up,  win or lose you get three games. Lose all 3? No big deal,  keep playing.  Heck,  let's just give em an 8th place trophy while we're at it.  My goodness,  here's an idea:  win and win and you get to play 3 games. Simple as that.  If you're a competitor and get your butts kicked,  go home home and work and get better.  Why would you want to be in a losers bracket and get rewarded just for showing up?  Good grief

TheGovernor

December 30, 2016, 10:47:42 pm #97 Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:04:16 pm by TheGovernor
Reasons why GFLC stinks.
#1 Most teams already played 1000 times against each other
#2 Obviosuly coaches (girls division) cannot properly seed the tournament
#3 Referees were terrible
#4 Game times during the day makes no sense
#5 Below average crowds ( contributed to game times)
#6 1 and done in tourney... which is a positive for some schools and a negative for teams like Quitman and Rose Bud( FB schools)
#7 Weather WAY TOO HOT ( I even saw Timbos Coach in bleachers wearing shorts and Old man Tube socks) it's December we need colder weather
#8 Concession stands need more nerd ropes.
#9 mt dew or Diet Mt Dew... none to be found
#10 Need more halftime entertainment.

Just my opinion. I'm sure it will get better in the future

Catfish

Quote from: TheGovernor on December 30, 2016, 10:47:42 pm
Reasons why GFLC stinks.
#1 Most teams already played 1000 times against each other
#2 Obviosuly coaches (girls division) cannot properly seed the tournament
#3 Referees were terrible
#4 Game times during the day makes no sense
#5 Below average crowds ( contributed to game times)
#6 1 and done in tourney... which is a positive for some schools and a negative for teams like Quitman and Rose Bud( FB schools)
#7 Weather WAY TOO HOT ( I even saw Timbos Coach in bleachers wearing shorts and Old man Tube socks) it's December we need colder weather
#8 Concession stands need more nerd ropes.
#9 mt dew or Diet Mt Dew... none to be found
#10 Need more halftime entertainment.

Just my opinion. I'm sure it will get better in the future

Don't come then.

no mascot

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas