• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2a Schools that are now 1a

Started by prodigy3n4, December 01, 2016, 08:38:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

prodigy3n4

I have read on here about all the contenders for state this year but no one has even mentioned teams that are coming down to 1a this year from 2a.  There are not many in the north but southern teams that are extremely athletic that can give some of these trouble are being overlooked.  The entire 1a 8 East teams are former 2a teams.  Then you have Mineral Springs, Dierks, Mt Ida in the 7 West conference.  Up north I am only seeing Rector that came down.  These teams are at a disadvantage because most have football but they also have athletes that can cause trouble for the smaller schools.  A team like Mineral Springs will be tough for any of the teams I have seen mentioned in the top 5 except for Kirby.  Just wanting to bring it to everyone's attention that this is not the old 1a where there are only 3 or 4 teams that can win it all.  I look forward to the state tournament this year to see all these new teams play that most fans will not even realize were 1a until they see them in the state tournament

BLUEBLOOD

Mineral Springs has been traditionally "good" in basketball.  Only a few times have they made much noise in 2A state, but always a solid team.  Most of these 2A schools are "football" schools and most 1A schools are not.  So early in the season, you will have these "football" schools just getting started in basketball against teams that have 7-10 games under their belts.  Look for it all to become clearer after the Christmas break when everyone is in full basketball mode.

BannerMountainMan

It seems weird but Shirley could have 20+ wins before the New year?? That seems really weird

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 01, 2016, 08:57:46 am
It seems weird but Shirley could have 20+ wins before the New year?? That seems really weird

And new 1A member Mt Ida might have 3-4 games by New Year......and a trip to WMS under their belt!!

BannerChaser95

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on December 01, 2016, 09:04:36 am
And new 1A member Mt Ida might have 3-4 games by New Year......and a trip to WMS under their belt!!
that's fancy and all, I'm not trying to sound rude when I say this so please don't take it that way. But that has nothing to do with mt. Ida basketball, this year looks to be much like last year. I am pulling for mt. Ida in football to win it all this season, however they weren't "contending" for much last season and this year may be worse now they have to play Kirby twice, mineral springs, and being in regionals with teams like county line.  I'm not downing 2a, mineral may make it as the 3-4 in the region, but Kirby and county line are a hard set 1/2 right now. Mt.ida has a huge uphill battle making it to post season play past 1st round of distract and it has nothing to do with them being successful in football in my opinion.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on December 01, 2016, 01:45:49 pm
that's fancy and all, I'm not trying to sound rude when I say this so please don't take it that way. But that has nothing to do with mt. Ida basketball, this year looks to be much like last year. I am pulling for mt. Ida in football to win it all this season, however they weren't "contending" for much last season and this year may be worse now they have to play Kirby twice, mineral springs, and being in regionals with teams like county line.  I'm not downing 2a, mineral may make it as the 3-4 in the region, but Kirby and county line are a hard set 1/2 right now. Mt.ida has a huge uphill battle making it to post season play past 1st round of distract and it has nothing to do with them being successful in football in my opinion.

I thought I was on topic but maybe I missed something.  I'm not promoting that any of these "football" schools will dethrone Kirby or County Line on the hardwood.  My point was about athletes transitioning from 5-6 months of football preparation to basketball.  It takes a little while.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on December 01, 2016, 02:05:56 pm
I thought I was on topic but maybe I missed something.  I'm not promoting that any of these "football" schools will dethrone Kirby or County Line on the hardwood.  My point was about athletes transitioning from 5-6 months of football preparation to basketball.  It takes a little while.
I guess that's what I'm getting at as well, schools like deirks, (you may be from their, seeing your name) are going to be your avarage 2a school. They'll win a game or two against 1A teams that they shouldn't but will lose some games they shouldn't as well and the practicing longer will benefit them, however it doesn't much matter for teams like mineral or mt, Ida. But from 2 different parts of the spectrum. Mineral springs being finished early doesn't matter. Their football could still have 2-3 more weeks and they'd come out decent and ready to go. Mt. Ida on the other hand doesn't matter if they stopped at the end of the regular season playing football, their basketball wouldn't be going anywhere this season regardless of 4-5 extra weeks.  Some other teams with football it may if they're decent at both. But mt. Ida, mineral springs don't benefit or lose any from their football season. Ones a football school, one isn't for a reason! Hope I'm making my point more clear and I'm not trying to come across as oh these 2a teams dropping down won't contend, because one whole district will have only 2a teams.

dawg_days

I'm looking for Hampton to make a run. Maybe not a championship run, but a run nonetheless. They play in one of the weaker conferences meaning they won't have to play teams such as Shirley, Kirby or County Line until state, after they have played twenty some odd games. And I know the traditional 1A "basketball" teams will have forty under their belt by the time regionals and state rolls around. But with the bunch of athletes that Hampton is going to put on the hardwood night in and night out I think they will be clicking on all cylinders and will give those schools a decent brawl in the end.   

dawgpound

Hampton should be loaded with good athletes just don't know how long it will take them to get it going since just finished football

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas