• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

officials

Started by 007, December 04, 2007, 12:10:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

are officials for jr high or high school sports required to attend any kind of training or do they have to be certified? who says they can be refs?

proudmommaeagle

From what I have SEEN I think you just show up put on a uniform and the deal is done. If you don't know whats going on you ask someone. We really need to regulate this more and have at least ONE that knows what he or she is doing. If they let things go then things get out of hand. The only bad part is if you banned the ones that didn't know what they were doing then we wouldn't have any refs.

i see alot of jr high and high school basketball games and have seen alot of goood ones around the state but it seems when you get a bad one its usually the whole crew. we lost to north little rock jr high last thursday night and there was no way the refs were gonna let us win. most of the problem i see is they think they have to call everything in the rule book at least once per game. my biggest grip is when there's an official standing right next to the play and the ref way down the court makes the call when you got a guy standing right there. but let me clarify this, the worst job i ever had was umping little leage baseball my sr year in high school. i know its tuff but some of these guys need to be doing something else

footballguy

I agree it is a tuff job. But, just call it fair. Make the calls and stick to them. Last night my son ran over another boy who was set and he made the basket and they called a blocking foul on the other kid. It was clearly a charge. Then on another play the other team wasnot set still moving with the boy shooting the layup and they called a charge. But, the call that made me realize these guys had no clue, was when the other team was throwing the ball in, one of our guys knocked it back out of bounds but right into the hands of the boy that had just thrown it in. They gave it back to him to do again. The same thing happened and they gave it to them again.I about died! Then they were not calling 3 seconds in the lane. Neither team ever came out of the lane. Didn't have to the weren't calling it. They need to at least learn the rules before they ref!

heffy22

It pays pretty decent.  Get yourself involved.

attaboy

I have watched this sport many years and its sad to say that the officials have slowly got worse and worse and worse to the point were it must pay good. Thats the reason they call........they need to money more than they care about performance.Class A seems to get the worse and the better ones move up the scale. The three ref teams are a big mistake,afraid to make a call over the other one. I don't think they call in favor of any team,I see bads calls against everyone.
Plain and simple high school basketball is the poorest called sport in the state.
YEAH!!BUDDY!! Holy bullfeathers!

prognosticating parisite

FROM THE AAA HANDBOOK

EXHIBIT RESPECT FOR THE OFFICIALS
The officials are impartial trained arbitrators
who perform to the best of their ability. Mistakes
by all those involved in the contests are a
part of the game. We should not rationalize our
own poor or unsuccessful performance of behavior
by placing responsibility on an official.
The rule of good sportsmanship is to accept and
abide by decisions made by officials. This value
is critical for students to learn for later application
in life.

attaboy

Quote from: prognosticating parisite on December 08, 2007, 02:35:44 pm
FROM THE AAA HANDBOOK

EXHIBIT RESPECT FOR THE OFFICIALS
The officials are impartial trained arbitrator

If this were true I would agree but I think the most important part is.........
Mr. Green. Ya know that green folding paper that must be given to AAA when you are TRAINED! Besides respect is not to be given it must be earned.

sportsmom62

This is where you are wrong.  You do give respect.  I don't know where you were taught that, but if everyone waited for someone else to show respect first, there wouldn't be any.  You get respect by showing respect first.  Do you not respect your parents and grandparents because of who they are?  Were you not taught to respect your elders just because they are your elders?  I am not saying that people don't do things that can cause you to later disrespect them, and yes they should respect you also.  Try giving respect and see what happens.  It may surprise you.

attaboy

No I am not wrong.I respect my parents and grandparents because they treated me well,I was never abused in any way,I was cared for thus the respect was earned. I respect an elder who has earned it. Hitler is older than me and I don't respect him. Do you?

motivate

I do not mind if officials are good or bad. Just be a good of bad ref for both teams. If you make a 3 sec. call at the beginning of the game continue to make that call all game. Please do not get in the habit of just watching the ball. I have seen games were all three refs are moving their heads were ever the ball goes. Last of all, do not make the game about you/ref. Let the game be played by the basketball players and enjoyed by the fans.

attaboy

Quote from: motivate on December 09, 2007, 06:22:58 pm
I do not mind if officials are good or bad. Just be a good of bad ref for both teams. If you make a 3 sec. call at the beginning of the game continue to make that call all game. Please do not get in the habit of just watching the ball. I have seen games were all three refs are moving their heads were ever the ball goes. Last of all, do not make the game about you/ref. Let the game be played by the basketball players and enjoyed by the fans.

well said! The best ones you never notice they were at the game!

in football you have a ref in charge and then your other officials, is it the same way in basketball or is there one lead person? that is a problem i see in some of these games no one seems to be in charge.

No Name

Quote from: 007 on December 10, 2007, 08:06:39 am
in football you have a ref in charge and then your other officials, is it the same way in basketball or is there one lead person? that is a problem i see in some of these games no one seems to be in charge.

There is suppose to be 1 referee and the other two are umpires.  The referee is suppose to be the one in charge.

gottowatch_football

I have no problem being respectful of the refs. I do however have a problem when they sit back and call nothing and a game gets out of hand. These are teenage boys who have alittle attitude anyway and if the refs sit back and call nothing then something is going to happen. I watched a game a few days ago and team A brought the ball to the wrong end of the court. After they made about 5 passes trying to get a shot, the crowd was finally loud enough that the refs realized the boys brought the ball down to the wrong end of the court. They blew the whistle and then gave the ball back to team A!!! Should have been back court and team B's ball. If they can't ref any better than that they need to stay home. At  least learn a FEW rules before you show up.

do the offidials have a don't ask don't tell policy because last night at a jr high game in saline county after heckling one of the refs about a call he turned and winked at me. the guy next to me said i think he likes you. it scared me so didn't i say another word to him all night

motivate

Why don't officials call the game right for 7th grade games. I watched some games Friday and they let the kids walk, double, and foul way to much. I was walking by when one coach was asking the official to call more. He did not care if it was for him or against him. This was the only way the kids were going to learn what they can and can't do.
I also watched a high school tournament game on Saturday and the officials on the side waiting to go in for the next game would tell the officials on the floor what time it was and how long the period was taking.

Officials should call the game fair and correctly no matter what age or how long a game is taking.

exjock

Went to a 7th grade game Saturday where the opposing team made 31 free throws. They went to the line and shot 40 free throws, and they only fouled 8 times the whole game and we went to the line 3 times. It was almost comical. I'll respect an official when he shows respect for both teams. Hey we fouled some but it was mutual.

i had to put this on. saturday at sheridan we witnessed an official who should hang up his whistle. i would be ashamed of myself had i acted like he did. when the game started i knew there would be trouble when the home team fans were talking to him on the floor calling him by his first name. i asked someone from there if they knew him and they told me where he lived. he made a fan leave the gym two minutes into the game over nothing. a wise old owl once told me a good official will never let a fans heckling bother him unless he is very insecure at his job.

bulldog91

this is the worst year that i have seen on refs

mswoody30

I agree on the officials, they have not been very good this year for the Jr. High or High school.  I had an official tell me to sit down because one of our kids got injured and there was an official time out, and the other team was huddled up with their coach working on a game plan, to my knowledge this is not allowed if it is an official time out and I was telling him this.  The officials are way to cocky for me.  I do agree sometimes the fans can get very rude to the officials, but if they would call both ways maybe this would not happen.

parpar

This is a junior high board, so I will address this from that perspective.  Junior High is training ground for officials.  Like it or not, officials have to start somehwere.  The first shot at AOA membership is generally junior high.  Just like any other profession, it takes a while to get adjusted to crowds, coaches, speed of the game and environmental factors.  So, in most instances, you will not get the topnotch guys working your games.

That said, you have the right to expect the following from officials:  arriving on time, dressed professionally, limited interaction with the crowd, basic knowledge of rules and mechanics, unbiased application of the rules, and hustle. Anything else you get is a bonus.

mswoody30

You may be right about training ground, but when it affects a game and whether a team will make it to a championship game or not, it does make a difference,  if they need training then they shoud start at a local boys and girls club.

atownpantherfan05™

February 13, 2008, 12:23:18 pm #24 Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:26:33 pm by atownpanther05
Quote from: bulldog91 on February 13, 2008, 10:59:33 am
this is the worst year that i have seen on refs
Your right on that Mena and  Arkansas High have the worst ones.

parpar

mswoody -

Unfortunately, the AOA does not recognize Boys Club ball and the like as training grounds.  Plus, with all the local rules, it still takes transition time.  But I've always said the toughest place to call was the Pennick Boys Club on Saturday mornings.

I started football, baseball and basketball at the local league level and was able to work my way up to the College ranks in baseball and football and Class 5A basketball.  At the point you get to that level, it's not that you don't want to call junior high, it's that there is just not enough time in the week unless you want to work your regular job, plus 5-6 nights a week.  Officials do have families, you know.

mswoody30

parpar-

Congratulations on making it to that level, you must be one of the better ones.  I am not trying to argue with you, but the officials have not been very good this year whether it's high school or junior high basketball, and by looking at this board and the high school board there are alot of people that agree with me.

parpar

A friend of mine told me once that if you work hard, study, stay in shape and keep your emotions in check, you might become a good football official.  The very nature of the game makes it impossible to ever be a "good" basketball official.  Look at the Villy game Monday night.  The referee gets chastised for calling a foul with .2 seconds left, 80 feet fromt he basket.  ESPN and others rip him, including dear old Randy Rainwater and Ron Crawford.  There was an article in today's Philadelphia Enquirer.  There were other supervisors of officials at the game.  To a tee, they all said "he got it right".  How could he ignore the push that sent the man out of bounds.  Where is the fault for the player that was that close to him to even get a foul called 80 feet away from the basket?

mswoody30

Your absolutely right.

boombastic

i am highly against women referring boys basketball. they dont understand how physical boys basketball is. they call to much touchy fouls

motivate

I am sorry but I have never seen a woman call a boys game very well. Most of ours look like they are scared to make the calls. It was like having a two man crew. I have seen them call girls games and summer basketball games very well.

Alan

I think its sad especially in jr high games when a official determins the out come of a game. Monday nite when Bryant and Cabot Jr boys played the officials made a bad call with .2 seconds left to determine the outcome. I feel in cases such as this officials should be accountable for their actions.

should have seen em tonight in the south-white game one of the worst jobs i've seen. especially the ref from bryant. i guess he was getting revenge for bryant  for monday nights loss against south. what a clown.

Alan

football_freak777

well in my eyes all refs should go to training no matter what level of play because the jr. high refs i saw stunk

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas