• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March Madness 2018

Started by Longfellow, March 11, 2018, 12:56:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Longfellow

It's the most wonderful time of the year!! Selection Sunday in 4 hours and then the brackets are open. Predictions?

beach bum

Virginia's defense will finally get it done this year and cut the nets....

athletic supporter

My prediction: no #5 seed reaches the final four

Longfellow

Quote from: beach bum on March 11, 2018, 02:38:32 pm
I think I've picked them 4 straight years

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on March 11, 2018, 06:20:31 pm
I think I've picked them 4 straight years

Me too and I am hoping they finally do it. They definitely aren't pretty but just 2 losses coming from the ACC is unreal.

Longfellow

Texas A&M and Providence will be a major bracket buster this year. On paper the two most evenly matched teams in the first round

beach bum

Who is you guys pick for best possible chance of a double digit seed going to the sweet 16 or elite 8... I am going to take the 11 seed who wins between UCLA and Saint Bonaventure in the play game in Dayton. They then get Florida and we have all seen what Florida has been lately and that is up and down. Then they likely play Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are a little dinged up and not playing as well down the stretch after their hot start. I think whoever wins that play in game sits in a good spot.

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on March 13, 2018, 02:17:41 pm
Who is you guys pick for best possible chance of a double digit seed going to the sweet 16 or elite 8... I am going to take the 11 seed who wins between UCLA and Saint Bonaventure in the play game in Dayton. They then get Florida and we have all seen what Florida has been lately and that is up and down. Then they likely play Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are a little dinged up and not playing as well down the stretch after their hot start. I think whoever wins that play in game sits in a good spot.

Mizzou is the highest seed I have advancing to the Sweet 16.

My first round upsets are as follows:
Davidson over Kentucky
Loyola over Miami
SDSU over Ohio State
Marshall over Wichita
NMSU over Clemson
Arizona State over TCU

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on March 13, 2018, 03:43:38 pm

Davidson over Kentucky
Loyola over Miami
SDSU over Ohio State
Marshall over Wichita
NMSU over Clemson
Arizona State over TCU

All those have solid chances of happening so I think those are good ones to choose. I believe this year between the 12 games that will involve 14, 15, or even yes 16 seeds that we will see one of those teams in the 14-16 range pull an upset with how much parity there is right now. I didn't pick one of those teams to win as its too hard to pick the right one, however I see one of best seeds going down day one to the lowest seeds in the tournament. Luckily, we're only 2 days out from the big show starting. Play ins tonight!! I can't wait.

athletic supporter

March 13, 2018, 03:57:59 pm #9 Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:43:36 pm by athletic supporter
Quote from: WPWells on March 13, 2018, 03:43:38 pm

Davidson over Kentucky
Loyola over Miami
SDSU over Ohio State
Marshall over Wichita
NMSU over Clemson
Arizona State over TCU

Kentucky wins by 20+. No, I'm not a UK  fan

beach bum

Radford beats LIU Brooklyn in the first play in game.... Now Saint Bonaventure and UCLA are in a tight battle with 13 minutes left for the chance to play Florida.

WPWells

1/1. I had the Highlanders. Now the Bonnies could make me 2/2

beach bum

58-56 with 2 left.... Great game so far.

beach bum

The Bonnies get it done... Hopefully much more like this game to come.

WPWells

I nailed both play-ins. Got NCCU and ASU tonight (and then ASU beating TCU)

Trojanbird

Quote from: beach bum on March 13, 2018, 10:17:15 pm
The Bonnies get it done... Hopefully much more like this game to come.
First tournament win in 48 years!

beach bum

Virginia's 6th man of the year in the ACC is out for the remainder of the tournament. This could maybe put a road block in the way of the Cavaliers. We will see if it eventually impacts them. I am sure they'll be just fine through the first weekend still.

beach bum

Syracuse beats Arizona State in the last play in game after Texas Southern beats NC Central earlier. Syracuse is never easy to prepare for when you aren't a team familiar with them in their own league with that 2-3 zone. They may be able to beat TCU cause besides that big stretch guy for TCU, they can't really shoot that well from the outside. TCU likes to drive a lot to the basket and that's not exactly easy to do against that zone. TCU may still win, but that's a bad matchup for them. I am sure TCU coaches were rooting for the Sun Devils to win instead.

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on March 14, 2018, 10:15:41 pm
Syracuse beats Arizona State in the last play in game after Texas Southern beats NC Central earlier. Syracuse is never easy to prepare for when you aren't a team familiar with them in their own league with that 2-3 zone. They may be able to beat TCU cause besides that big stretch guy for TCU, they can't really shoot that well from the outside. TCU likes to drive a lot to the basket and that's not exactly easy to do against that zone. TCU may still win, but that's a bad matchup for them. I am sure TCU coaches were rooting for the Sun Devils to win instead.

Definitely got Cuse in this one.

beach bum

Tennessee cruising in full control with dominating defense like always.... Rhode Island and Oklahoma look to be headed down to the wire.

BigLion10

Surprise Surprise, Boomer Sooner bows out first round  ;D ;D now maybe we can hear about something other than Trae Young

WPWells

2-0 start to the bracket.

I really thought that last tip was in at the end of regulation

beach bum

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 15, 2018, 01:45:16 pm
Surprise Surprise, Boomer Sooner bows out first round  ;D ;D now maybe we can hear about something other than Trae Young

+1000

beach bum

My word Kansas's defense is horrible. I can say with certainty they will not be the team cutting down the nets in a few weeks with that weak defense. Penn is getting open looks all game, and is missing tons of wide open shots that other teams would be knocking down. Kansas is lucky they are playing a 16 seed right now and not a quality opponent with that pathetic display of defense.

beach bum

Gonzaga was in full control and let them back in only to barely escape.... Might as well called that a Gonzaga home game too. No upsets brewing yet, but they lower seeds are all playing competitive. If Loyola (Chicago) pulls it out I wouldn't even call that too much of an upset. Miami is without a key guard and Loyola has a ton of wins so far this year.

beach bum

Loyola (Chicago) ..... ice in their veins  8)

HorseFeathers

Looking like Ohio State is going to escape South Dakota ...

beach bum

Buffalo is going to get the first major upset over Arizona.... I swear anything Alabama threw up went in and they look like they will win this over Va Tech.

athletic supporter

Arkansas laid an egg. Virginia is in BIG trouble

beach bum

Quote from: athletic supporter on March 16, 2018, 09:52:50 pm
Arkansas laid an egg. Virginia is in BIG trouble

We may be witnessing history here with UMBC.... can they hold on??

beach bum

Quote from: beach bum on March 14, 2018, 01:34:43 pm
Virginia's 6th man of the year in the ACC is out for the remainder of the tournament. This could maybe put a road block in the way of the Cavaliers. We will see if it eventually impacts them. I am sure they'll be just fine through the first weekend still.

More like a sinkhole the size of a football stadium opened up in their way.... Wow

athletic supporter

Quote from: beach bum on March 16, 2018, 10:07:57 pm
We may be witnessing history here with UMBC.... can they hold on??

I have Virginia in the championship game but I'm hoping for the upset

Trojanbird

athletic supporter

Cinderella has arrived!!!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on March 11, 2018, 02:38:32 pm

Take a Mulligan on this one?

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 17, 2018, 09:39:41 am
Take a Mulligan on this one?

You can see below that I changed my mind after their 6th man of the year in the ACC was announced out. I don't think anyone saw them going down this early. I thought that injury may get them in the elite 8 or sweet 16, but I don't think anyone saw it coming that early.

beach bum

Nevada just wouldn't quit and came back from a 22 point deficit in the 2nd half.... Kentucky couldn't be any happier knowing Nevada, Loyola, and the UMBC/K State winner are the only thing in their way of a Final Four left in the South Region.

VHSCoach2

I'd rather watch a team like UMBC night in and night out than spend even one second watching a team full of one-and-dones.

RATTLER43

March 18, 2018, 10:23:27 pm #38 Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:33:03 pm by RATTLER43

BigLion10

Looks like Penny Hardaway is taking over the HC job at Memphis his Alma mater. I expect big things from that program moving forward.

WPWells

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 19, 2018, 11:45:36 am
Looks like Penny Hardaway is taking over the HC job at Memphis his Alma mater. I expect big things from that program moving forward.

This fires me up. I want nothing but the best for Memphis basketball

BigLion10

Quote from: WPWells on March 19, 2018, 01:27:16 pm
This fires me up. I want nothing but the best for Memphis basketball
Honestly with all the AAU connections and his name, he will probably have top 5 recruiting classes every year

WPWells

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 19, 2018, 01:39:45 pm
Honestly with all the AAU connections and his name, he will probably have top 5 recruiting classes every year

The top recruit for 2019 plays for the high school that he coached for before taking this job. I'll be SHOCKED if that guy doesn't land at Memphis.

BigLion10

Quote from: WPWells on March 19, 2018, 01:45:20 pm
The top recruit for 2019 plays for the high school that he coached for before taking this job. I'll be SHOCKED if that guy doesn't land at Memphis.
Yea, and look who all plays for Team Penney in the summer in the AAU circuit as well. His team's are usually ranked top 3 in the country year in and out

athletic supporter

I'm sure I'll get blasted, but I look for Memphis to win big for the next 5 or so years and then land on probation.

beach bum

I like Penny.... The guy could have took his millions and rode off into the sunset never to have a thing to do with the city of Memphis ever again. He could have thought he was too good for that place, but he did not. He came back and has given so much to the youth of that city and humbled himself to the point of pretty much being an everyday average joe the last decade. He is now reaping the rewards of his humility.

beach bum

Anyone else really like that coach from Nevada now that celebrated with his players in the locker room by taking his shirt off and running around? I loved his quote joking around.... " I am motivated to stay looking good when I have such a beautiful wife like I do" .... I couldn't have been happier seeing an easy going coach like that win instead of the angry tyrant coach he won against from Cincy. That guy in Cincy has a reputation for being a grump.

BigLion10

Guy from Cincy snapped at the reporter after the game lol

athletic supporter

Quote from: beach bum on March 19, 2018, 05:38:39 pm
Anyone else really like that coach from Nevada now that celebrated with his players in the locker room by taking his shirt off and running around? I loved his quote joking around.... " I am motivated to stay looking good when I have such a beautiful wife like I do" .... I couldn't have been happier seeing an easy going coach like that win instead of the angry tyrant coach he won against from Cincy. That guy in Cincy has a reputation for being a grump.

Eric Musselman is a great coach. He coached in the NBA before going to Nevada

beach bum

Quote from: BigLion10 on March 19, 2018, 05:40:16 pm
Guy from Cincy snapped at the reporter after the game lol

I literally thought he was going to permanently turn red forever by the end of the game how much he was screaming....haha.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas