• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Signing Dates for D1 vs. D2 Football Colleges: Hope vs. Reality

Started by Grond, February 11, 2018, 01:19:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grond

I am not a coach, nor am I involved in college football recruiting. But after going through some experiences with young men who are (and are not) playing college football, I want to pass on that experience.

D1 COLLEGES - MAY OF YOUR JUNIOR YEAR
For high school football players, National Signing Day is usually in early February of their Senior year. But be aware of some details...

Even though there is a two month period for signing (and now there is Early Signing), colleges normally have everyone signed with a day or two of National Signing Day.

This goes for D2 as well as D1 colleges. If you have not heard from any college after National Signing Day, then you probably will not hear from one.

D1 colleges tend to make contact during your JUNIOR year (NCAA rules prevent earlier contact [theoretically]). If you are going to get an offer from a D1 college (like Arkansas or UCA), then you will typically have received an offer by May of your JUNIOR year.

The experience can be BRUTAL. Saw a young man that was All-State, etc., and high school coaches/friends/family kept saying he was D1 material. But these people were making comments out of hope and love; not experience.   :-[  And no calls ever came.

D2 COLLEGES - OCTOBER OF YOUR SENIOR YEAR (AND SUMMER CAMPS BEFORE YOUR SENIOR YEAR)
Keep in mind that D2 colleges don't have the recruiting staff of D1 colleges. They can't make the trips to see as many young men. This is why going to summer camps at D2 colleges during the summer before your Senior year is so important: it gives you a chance to be seen.

Consequently, the D2 coaches must focus on NOW. They have to figure out who is not going D1, and who is determined enough to go to college and play football WITHOUT a scholarship.  This is because D2 colleges can only offer 36 scholarships (which they can break up).

So, even if you do sign with a D2 college, you better plan on paying for your first two years of college yourself. Which is why D2 coaches really like guys that can also get academic scholarships, too.

To review........

D1 COLLEGES: You should hear something by MAY of your JUNIOR year.

D2 COLLEGES: You should hear something by OCTOBER of your SENIOR year.

Let me know: have I got this right or wrong for college football?

Grond

Keep in mind the "MOST" does not necessarily mean "ALWAYS".

This year, saw a young man sign with Henderson State (D2) in mid-February, and another young man sign with an NAIA college in late February.

Mulerider4Life

I've seen SAU really get some of their best players in December of their Senior Year. Guy's who have great stats, but not D-1 credentials.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas